PDA

View Full Version : Undrafted Guys

Prosdo
04-30-2006, 03:17 PM
It's a little bit early for this thread, but we all know the Steelers look for gems in the undrafted guys. As it is looking right now is there anyone you all are hoping to go undrafted so we can pick them up?

Rotorhead
04-30-2006, 03:43 PM
Martin Nantz

Prosdo
04-30-2006, 03:48 PM
I'm not sure what our 7th round pick is bringing. But if Martin Nance is goes undrafted I would like to see him brought into camp. I also think we may bring an undrafted OLB in. If we don't draft a RB maybe someone like Cedric Humes, Mike Bell, or Gerald Riggs Jr.

clevestinks
04-30-2006, 03:49 PM
all good picks Prosdo, it would be nice to have at least one of them in camp!

tony hipchest
04-30-2006, 03:52 PM
i gotta root for the unm guy hank baskett. the fact that neither of these 2 were drafted shows how trully weak this years wr draftclass was. im not sure either of them could make the team with our 2 1st day wr picks. the roster seems pretty much full at the position. if we bring one in it could spell the end of q. morgan. mays is probably done and i guess n. washington could get beat out but i doubt it.

we dont need morgans return skills. he may be worth giving up on for some cheaper young (tall) talent.

Prosdo
04-30-2006, 03:54 PM
I could see Morgan and Mays being gone. If we had Holmes, Reid, and Nance in camp it could definitely help out our WR Corps.

tootalltoscore
04-30-2006, 03:54 PM
Roderique Wright DT New Mexico he was Pat Kirwan's original 1st Round Pick for the Steelers in his mock draft.

How can he still be unpicked???

dSharp
04-30-2006, 03:59 PM
Anwar Phillips and Cedric Humes. Humes for sure, especially if Duckett is a pipe dream/rumor. Anwar Phillips because he's good, in my opinion, and is being completely overlooked. Depth at Corner would be smart considering Deshea is up there in years (though I don't care, Deashea is great) and Ricardo hasn't *really* shown he can crack the starting lineup. Regardless, a little depth at corner, I think we'd all agree, can't be a bad thing in Pittsburgh. :)

Prosdo
04-30-2006, 04:01 PM
Cornerback | Senior | Penn St.
Anwar Phillips
Height: 5-11 5/8 | Weight: 193 | 40-Time: 4.59
Strengths:
Has good size with long arms...Smooth athlete with fluid hips...Has solid speed and good range...Changes directions well...Very aggressive and will support the run...Has good ball skills and superb hands...Was picked on a lot and held up well...Has a lot of experience and was very productive throughout his career.

Weaknesses:
Needs to add some weight and bulk up...Very inconsistent and blows a lot of coverages...Needs to refine his technique...Lacks great recovery speed and can't afford mistakes...Could be more physical...Has to show more self-control and awareness on the field...Ran into trouble and was even suspended from school.

Notes:
Doesn't get nearly the attention his teammate Alan Zemaitis does but might be a better pro prospect and get drafted higher...Has the physical tools you look for but doesn't always play up to him...Could be a bit of a boom or bust prospect.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/cb/anwarphillips.html

BlitzburghRockCity
04-30-2006, 04:02 PM
There's a ton of these guys on the phone with the team and in the next couple days..we should ballon our roster to over 80 members again to get all this undrafted talent a chance.

Prosdo
04-30-2006, 04:05 PM
I'm really surprised some of these guys are still on the board.

Ohio Steeler
04-30-2006, 04:07 PM
Martin Nantz

I cant belive someone has yet to take this kid

Prosdo
04-30-2006, 04:07 PM
At the moment I'm praying he goes undrafted because I don't think we will pick him with the 7th rounder lol

Blitzburgh55
04-30-2006, 04:28 PM
Greg Lee Wr PItt he hasnt been drafted yet susope to be a 3-4 rounder

tony hipchest
04-30-2006, 04:34 PM
Roderique Wright DT New Mexico he was Pat Kirwan's original 1st Round Pick for the Steelers in his mock draft.

How can he still be unpicked???hes from the national champion longhorns. i hope we get him. he must have some serious problems to drop this far. i heard him on the radio last week and he had a great interview with kirwan and r. cross. theres gotta be a reason for EVERY team to be passing on him though.

with our last pick ready kiper has hank baskett as 4th best available.

just saw miami took r. wright with their 7th round pick. steelers land c. humes with their last pick.

tootalltoscore
04-30-2006, 04:47 PM
hes from the national champion longhorns. i hope we get him. he must have some serious problems to drop this far. i heard him on the radio last week and he had a great interview with kirwan and r. cross. theres gotta be a reason for EVERY team to be passing on him though.

with our last pick ready kiper has hank baskett as 4th best available.

just saw miami took r. wright with their 7th round pick. steelers land c. humes with their last pick.

I'm pleased to have just caught some comments about Wright on Sirius Radio which said he had some off the field issues. I assume the team knew.

Prosdo
04-30-2006, 04:47 PM
Okay so we got our RB. Martin Nance just may go undrafted. lol

tony hipchest
04-30-2006, 04:48 PM
marcus vick is still out there.

(assuming the raiders or ravens dont still have a pick.)

BigDude66687
04-30-2006, 04:50 PM
Comeon Nance just 10 more picks and ur a steeler baby

Prosdo
04-30-2006, 04:51 PM
What about linebackers? Who do you guys think?

BigDude66687
04-30-2006, 05:01 PM
I dont really know the LB crop that well, I like the dude from Pitt he's shown some skills over the years he could be like Frazier was last year

Prosdo
04-30-2006, 05:06 PM
Well, it's over and he wasn't drafted :smile: You know Ben is pushing for it!

Lyn
04-30-2006, 05:14 PM
Vick never did get taken or did he?

siss
04-30-2006, 05:16 PM
Nope!
And I'm happy!
I think the NFL just sent a message to young guys that we won't put up with kinda crap. He's gunna end up like Maurice Clarett. Hope he enjoys jail. He'll be the best player on that team.

Prosdo
04-30-2006, 05:23 PM
Cameron Vaughn
Height: 6-3 3/4 | Weight: 235 | 40-Time: 4.71
Strengths:
Good natural athlete...Has decent size...Solid timed speed...Very versatile with experience at multiple positions...Durable and a three-year starter...A sure and reliable tackler...Smart and a leader with good intangibles...Still has some upside.

Weaknesses:
Does not have great football instincts...Is not very tough or physical...Will lose battles at the point of attack...Does not play as fast as he times...Skates by on his sheer athleticism too often...Raw and needs technique work & development.

Notes:
Played both inside and outside in college and could project to either position at the next level...Would seem to have a lot of the physical tools you look for...A player who showed improvement as a senior and could surprise at the next level.

Lyn
04-30-2006, 05:48 PM
Nope!
And I'm happy!
I think the NFL just sent a message to young guys that we won't put up with kinda crap. He's gunna end up like Maurice Clarett. Hope he enjoys jail. He'll be the best player on that team.

Reputation for you Siss, I agree completely. The League did send a HUGE message!

Midnightwriter07
04-30-2006, 08:13 PM
I am not sure nance will make this team considering we are high on Washington and Reid was taking for a reason.. So that gives us Ward, Wislon, Holmes, Reid, Washington, Morgan. Unless Nance would unseat Morgan, not sure it would happen but Morgan is coming off broken leg so maybe a spot will open up. Nanace has had alot of hamstring injuries which are usually a reoccuring injury when someone has a problem with them so i am sure that is why he dropped. I was hoping for brandon marshall form central florida but Denver picked him up = ( I would like to see a couple of CB's brought in and some LB's brought in that went undrafted.

MasterOfPuppets
04-30-2006, 10:15 PM
bring in kai parham.........:deal:

Prosdo
04-30-2006, 10:32 PM
Kai Parham
Height: 6-3 | Weight: 256 | 40-Time: 5.03
Strengths:
Has excellent size and a solid frame...An excellent natural athlete with good speed...Outstanding pass rusher and blitzer...Strong and powerful...Solid tackler and a big hitter who can really lay the lumber...Does a great job versus the run...Very aggressive and plays downhill...Productive and made a lot of big plays...Intangibles and leadership skills are top-notch...Experienced...Played in a 3-4 defensive scheme under Al Groh which is all the rage in the NFL these days.

Weaknesses:
Lacks top instincts, especially for a middle linebacker...Does not change direction well...Can do a better job in coverage...Has some trouble working his way through traffic...Plays too high at times and needs some technique work...Skated by on his physical ability a lot in college...Will make too many mental mistakes.

Notes:
Was a three-year starter for the Cavs...One of the elite prep recruits in the nation coming out of high school...Saw some action at defensive end in certain situations...Was overshadowed a bit by Ahmad Brooks but is a great prospect in his own right...Look for this guy to be real popular with teams that run the 3-4.

MasterOfPuppets
04-30-2006, 10:37 PM
bring in anwar phillips........:busted:

MasterOfPuppets
04-30-2006, 11:54 PM
Kai Parham
Height: 6-3 | Weight: 256 | 40-Time: 5.03
Strengths:
Has excellent size and a solid frame...An excellent natural athlete with good speed...Outstanding pass rusher and blitzer...Strong and powerful...Solid tackler and a big hitter who can really lay the lumber...Does a great job versus the run...Very aggressive and plays downhill...Productive and made a lot of big plays...Intangibles and leadership skills are top-notch...Experienced...Played in a 3-4 defensive scheme under Al Groh which is all the rage in the NFL these days.

Weaknesses:
Lacks top instincts, especially for a middle linebacker...Does not change direction well...Can do a better job in coverage...Has some trouble working his way through traffic...Plays too high at times and needs some technique work...Skated by on his physical ability a lot in college...Will make too many mental mistakes.

Notes:
Was a three-year starter for the Cavs...One of the elite prep recruits in the nation coming out of high school...Saw some action at defensive end in certain situations...Was overshadowed a bit by Ahmad Brooks but is a great prospect in his own right...Look for this guy to be real popular with teams that run the 3-4.since they never drafted a lber ...why not bring him in??

MasterOfPuppets
05-01-2006, 12:07 AM
Top Undrafted Prospects

1. Martin Nance, WR, Miami (OH)
2. Spencer Havner, OLB, U.C.L.A.
3. Kai Parham, ILB, Virginia
4. Anwar Phillips, CB, Penn St.
5. Darrell Hunter, CB, Miami (OH)
6. Charles Gordon, CB, Kansas
7. Greg Lee, WR, Pittsburgh
8. Andre Hall, RB, South Florida
9. Brian Iwuh, OLB, Colorado
10. Hank Baskett, WR, New Mexico
11. Darrell Hackney, QB, U.A.B.
12. Eric Henderson, DE, Georgia Tech
13. DonTrell Moore, RB, New Mexico
14. Tim Day, TE, Oregon
15. Jahmile Addae, S, West Virginia
16. Marcus Vick, QB, Virginia Tech
17. Mike Bell, RB, Arizona
18. Adam Stenavich, OG, Michigan
19. Charlton Keith, DE, Kansas
20. Mike Kudla, DE, Ohio St.
21. Taurean Henderson, RB, Texas Tech
22. Mike Degory, C, Florida
23. Dion Byrum, CB, Ohio
24. Patrick Ross, C, Boston College
25. Derek Morris, OT, North Carolina St. 26. Dale Robinson, ILB, Arizona St.
27. Manaia Brown, DT, B.Y.U.
28. McKinley Boykin, DT, Ole Miss
29. Greg Threat, S, Miami (FL)
30. Miles Austin, WR, Monmouth
31. Troy Red****, OT, Auburn
32. Darrell Brooks, S, Arizona
33. Gerald Riggs, Jr., RB, Tennessee
34. Copeland Bryan, DE, Arizona
35. Cameron Vaughn, OLB, L.S.U.
36. John Torp, P, Colorado
37. Tommy Jackson, DT, Auburn
38. Oliver Hoyte, ILB, North Carolina St.
39. Brett Basanez, QB, Northwestern
40. Quadtrine Hill, FB, Miami (FL)
41. Chijioke Onyenegecha, CB, Oklahoma
42. Steve Fifita, DT, Utah
43. Erik Meyer, QB, Eastern Michigan
44. Willie Evans, DE, Mississippi St.
45. Cooper Wallace, TE, Auburn
46. Justin Holland, QB, Colorado St.
47. Barrick Nealy, QB, Texas St.
48. John Busing, OLB, Miami (OH)
49. Scott Ware, S, Southern Cal
50. Manase Hopoi, DT, Washington

DiggetyDank
05-01-2006, 02:31 AM
Isn't Anwar Phillips a rapist?

Also, I wonder if the reason they didn't pick up some depth on LB is because they have some UDFAs they have their eyes on.

Prosdo
05-01-2006, 02:35 AM
Bills | Team signs UDFA M. Nance
Sun, 30 Apr 2006 23:24:13 -0700

The Journal-News reports the Buffalo Bills have signed undrafted rookie free agent WR Martin Nance (Miami (Ohio)). "It's a done deal," Nance said Sunday night, April 30, from his home in St. Louis. "I'm headed to Buffalo on Thursday. That's when they'll have their minicamp."

http://www.kffl.com/player/13500/NFL

Koopa
05-01-2006, 02:37 AM

How can he still be unpicked???

this is my first time reading this thread, so don't know if this was corrected by how dare you?? lol, he ain't no new mexico, he's from the national champions repping the burnt orange, and motherf'kin longhorn lol

Prosdo
05-01-2006, 02:40 AM
Steelers | Team signs UDFA Dekker - from www.KFFL.com
Sun, 30 Apr 2006 21:57:28 -0700

Mark Stewart, of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, reports the Pittsburgh Steelers have agreed to terms with undrafted rookie free agent TE Jon Dekker (Princeton). Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

http://www.kffl.com/popuphotw.php?id=308154

Steelers | Teams close to signing UDFA J. Johnson - from www.KFFL.com
Sun, 30 Apr 2006 22:45:11 -0700

The Daily Iowan reports the Pittsburgh Steelers are close to signing undrafted rookie free agent CB Javon Johnson (Iowa). Steelers' coaches told Johnson's agent, Alonzo Shavers, they were looking to add a cornerback to their current roster of five cornerbacks. He also received interest from the Kansas City Chiefs.

http://www.kffl.com/popuphotw.php?id=308187

DiggetyDank
05-01-2006, 02:46 AM
Does anyone know if there's a good source/website for looking at the movement of free agent prospects? Sort of a "Undraft Tracker?"

Prosdo
05-01-2006, 02:48 AM
I use KFFL.com they usually have all the latest news.

Prosdo
05-01-2006, 02:54 AM
It seems like the Steelers are really going to be pushing Ricardo to step it up. Another thread (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=6849) says we picked up Anthony Madison a CB out of Alabama and now were close to signing Javon Johnson CB from Iowa.

DiggetyDank
05-01-2006, 02:58 AM
I use KFFL.com they usually have all the latest news.

Perfect - thanks dude.

DiggetyDank
05-01-2006, 04:06 AM
Here's another one:

Steelers | Team signs UDFA Dekker
Sun, 30 Apr 2006 21:57:28 -0700

Mark Stewart, of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, reports the Pittsburgh Steelers have agreed to terms with undrafted rookie free agent TE Jon Dekker (Princeton). Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Prosdo
05-01-2006, 12:20 PM
Steelers | Team agrees with UDFA S. Paxson - from www.KFFL.com
Mon, 1 May 2006 06:06:03 -0700

The Philadelphia Daily News reports the Pittsburgh Steelers have reached an agreement with undrafted rookie free agent DT Scott Paxson (Penn State).

http://www.kffl.com/popuphotw.php?id=308293

Steelers | Team agrees with UDFA Hagemann - from www.KFFL.com
Mon, 1 May 2006 09:22:26 -0700

The Associated Press reports the Pittsburgh Steelers have reached a contract agreement with undrafted rookie free agent OL Nick Hagemann (South Dakota).

http://www.kffl.com/popuphotw.php?id=308333

BB2W
05-01-2006, 04:26 PM
Isn't Anwar Phillips a rapist?
He was acquitted...