PDA

View Full Version : Show some love for Doug Legursky

iowaike
01-27-2011, 10:07 AM
I'm so pumped for Doug Legursky.
He was outstanding in afc championship.
I believe he'll be great in the super bowl.

Would really like help coming up with a nickname for Doug besides what the weak suck media tries to use.
Any suggestions

madtowndrunkard
01-27-2011, 10:17 AM
What's not to love. 2 and half quarters at center, two fumbles, and a safety. If Pouncey can't go he gets one of the best NTs' in the game.

GO DOUG!

wootawnee
01-27-2011, 10:18 AM
I love how Deirdorff creams over his name........He gets a kick out of it....

DFWSTEELERFAN
01-27-2011, 11:06 AM
I think he will be ready. All this focus the Media is putting on this guy, I expect him to be focused big time. This reminds me of Jumbo Elliot vs. Bruce Smith. Parcells made sure Elliot dreamt about smith. I expect the same thing is going on here. He will be fired up by game time with everyone saying BJ Raji is going to eat his lunch.

He has played well, so I expect the same in the Super bowl...

FanSince72
01-27-2011, 12:26 PM
I'd call him "Xerox".

It's the same with everyone else on this team, someone goes down and someone else steps up and becomes a carbon copy of the guy they replaced and we keep moving forward and we keep winning .

I mean, ask yourself: How many teams could lose their starting center just before the biggest game in their season and act as if it's no big deal and still have every expectation they'll win...

...and MEAN IT?

bob420
01-27-2011, 01:03 PM
The Dude..his dudeness...duder...el duderino

steelerjim58
01-27-2011, 02:53 PM
What's not to love. 2 and half quarters at center, two fumbles, and a safety. If Pouncey can't go he gets one of the best NTs' in the game.

GO DOUG!

And those things never happen with starting centers? All things considered he played well, and with 2 weeks of work there is no reason to think he won't improve.

casteeler
01-27-2011, 03:06 PM
^^^ we cant afford any more mishaps but the guy came into a pressure situation. Isn't that what these two weeks of practice are for?

Jackal
01-27-2011, 03:17 PM

GO DOUG!

The bad exchanges weren't completely Legursky's fault. Ben pulled out too quickly (insert joke here).

I was a center when I played, and it always takes a bit of adjustment when changing centers or QB's, but it's fairly easy to adjust your timing with a little practice.

Steelerfreak58
01-27-2011, 03:18 PM
I think he is going to do a great job. He has plenty of time to get reps in with Ben and watch film on GB's NT.

Matt91
01-27-2011, 04:08 PM
He will do all he can do in that situation, and in the Championship he did all he could, that said, I want Pouncey!

fer522
01-27-2011, 05:28 PM

GO DOUG!

really :doh:

theplatypus
01-27-2011, 05:54 PM
Thanks Doug your work at fullback during the SB is greatly appreciated.

<-- is trying to remain positive about Pouncey

Packerstud
01-27-2011, 06:23 PM
I think he is going to do a great job. He has plenty of time to get reps in with Ben and watch film on GB's NT.

That's not going to help his skill set. He's not as good a Pouncey , or he would have been the starter. With 2 bad snaps, one for a safety, and 1 sack that was clearly his fault. With the safety he short armed the snap, it never made it out of his crotch.

Across from him will be a 337 lbs defensive tackle named BJ Raji. Playing better football than any other DT the last three weeks. Dom Capers will abuse you with his tool know as the FREEZER.

It's statements like this that make me wonder if some of you even watch the games. I just got done watching the AFC Champ game with the Jets for the second time. Legursky got pushed around most of the game and played nervous. He was very physical but played dumb.

FanSince72
01-27-2011, 07:04 PM
That's not going to help his skill set. He's not as good a Pouncey , or he would have been the starter. With 2 bad snaps, one for a safety, and 1 sack that was clearly his fault. With the safety he short armed the snap, it never made it out of his crotch.

I'd say he did pretty good for a guy who had no idea he'd be playing center when the game started.

Across from him will be a 337 lbs defensive tackle named BJ Raji. Playing better football than any other DT the last three weeks. Dom Capers will abuse you with his tool know as the FREEZER.

OK.

Tell you what... let's have your appliance chase Ben around the field for a while and we'll see how effective he is. My guess is that after hauling those 337 lbs. around for awhile it's gonna get to the point where your boy will need two guys and a hand truck to move him from place to place.

It's statements like this that make me wonder if some of you even watch the games. I just got done watching the AFC Champ game with the Jets for the second time. Legursky got pushed around most of the game and played nervous. He was very physical but played dumb.

(See answer #1 above).

austinfrench76
01-27-2011, 07:14 PM
2 1/2 quarters??? Try 3 1/2 and he did very well. Mendenhall had room all day. Puncey was working it on the 1st drive but DL did well!

Atlanta Dan
01-27-2011, 07:15 PM
It's statements like this that make me wonder if some of you even watch the games. .

If coming on other team's message boards to insult posters who support that team gets you off then too bad for you - I admit to having no clue as to what sort of personality derives enjoyment from that

But to address your point, given your vast expertise regarding the skill set of Legursky, Ed Bouchette, Steelers beat writer for the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette for over 20 years (a fun fact i assume you do not know despite your obviously vast knowledge of the Steelers) may have seen Legursky play & practice a few more times than you. Ed B. of the P-G has this to say

Yes, Maurkice Pouncey is all that but do not underestimate Doug Legursky.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/107742-ed-cope-saw-the-talent-in-kuhn

Green Bay is a classy organization that i recognize should not be held accountable for certain members of its fan base

:drink:

dbsfgyd1
01-27-2011, 07:31 PM
337lbs???? When?? When he was a junior in high school. If he's a pound under 360 I'll eat limberger

harrison'samonster
01-27-2011, 07:34 PM
who ever heard of a Legursky-in-the-Box?! He's a the leading cast member of the misfit toys. This O-line is really banged up, but they've gotten us this far.

acidburn517
01-27-2011, 08:45 PM
I believe he'll be great in the super bowl.

Would really like help coming up with a nickname for Doug besides what the weak suck media tries to use.
Any suggestions

Someone on Tumblr made a poster and called him "The Big Legursky"

http://already-dead.tumblr.com/post/2967102235

Atlanta Dan
01-28-2011, 09:41 AM
This from Gerry Dulac of the P-G

While they do not want to lose a player of Pouncey’s ability in the biggest game of the year, the Steelers have been doing this all season – going back to Week 1 when they opened the season with Dennis Dixon at quarterback because Ben Roethlisberger’s replacement, Byron Leftwich, was injured. By Week 3, Charlie Batch was the starter, and yet the Steelers still went 3-1 and set the groundwork for what was to follow.

Doug Legursky played very well after Pouncey was injured on the opening series against the Jets. Batch told me the other day Legursky knows how to read defenses even better than Pouncey, which is saying a lot.

I’m not telling you that Legursky is every bit as good as Pouncey or that the Steelers won’t miss their rookie Pro Bowler. I’m just telling you this isn’t the first time this season the Steelers have lost one of their top players.

That they’re still able to talk about the potential ramifications should tell you just how they’ve been able to cope with such annoyances.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/107751-gerry-pouncey-now-in-boot

FanSince72
01-28-2011, 10:18 AM
I think that Pouncey going down is a metaphor for the entire season.

Here we are in the biggest game of the year and our starting Pro Bowl center falls to injury and a guy named Legursky (the most perfect football name ever) has to step in and take his place. In this year of replacements, this is sort of the ultimate replacement and it can be the rallying point we need to get it done one last time.

Legursky's presence is the the exclamation point to a season which has defined the word "team" more so than any other and that if we win this Super Bowl, it will truly be a victory for every man on the roster.

I don't think a screenwriter could come up with a better plot line or a more heroic name that "Legursky". That's a name that covers virtually every underdog theme that's ever been created by Hollywood. Legursky is the guy who grabs the machine gun and saves the platoon or the guy who leads a crew to dig their buddies out after the mine collapse; he's the guy that the coach always screams at in practice but wouldn't part with for all the money in the world.

So it's only fitting that a real-life Legursky is called upon to become the replacement player who gets it done in "The Big Game".

If we win this thing, I wouldn't be surprised to see it all become the subject of a movie one day.

Atlanta Dan
01-28-2011, 10:40 AM
I think that Pouncey going down is a metaphor for the entire season.

Here we are in the biggest game of the year and our starting Pro Bowl center falls to injury and a guy named Legursky (the most perfect football name ever) has to step in and take his place. In this year of replacements, this is sort of the ultimate replacement and it can be the rallying point we need to get it done one last time..

Another O-line back-up needing to get it done is what Tomlin referred to in the America's Game review of the 2008 season as football justice. In that instance Tomlin describd the offense bailing out the defense with the final drive as follows

"Football is the ultimate team game. In no way were we going to waltz in there and win a World Championship on the strength of our defense alone. It was football justice and I believe in it." -- Tomlin on how satisfying it was to see his offense step up after acknowledging that the team was mostly known for their top-ranked defense.

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story?confirm=true&id=09000d5d8125a20e&template=without-video

"Football justice" for the 2010 Steelers will be one more back-up rising to the occasion one more time

"It's a five-star matchup because we're in it." -- Troy Polamalu

Silverback92
01-28-2011, 10:42 AM
Much love for Legursky, my fellow son of Marshall. Should Maurkice truly not be able to play, I have confidence that he will rise to the occasion. Adversity is nothing new to this O-line. In fact, it's been a theme, this season. I know the rest of those big guys will be there to support him and that he's been hard at work this week and will be working just as hard next week.

I'm just sad that he won't be able to step in at FB for those goal line rushing attempts.

iowaike
01-28-2011, 02:05 PM
Just had to say thanks to all who answered this thread.
The direction it took was positive and thought provoking.

Special kudos to fansince72,atlantadan and silverback92

I think they're absolutely right.

If he ends up playing for Pouncy or if he just lead blocks
Besides being the big lugersky
He'll be beloved as Big Game Legursky
How awsome is that.

I am uber pumped dogs

We're gonna Win. :tt03::tt02::tt04::tt::drink: