PDA

View Full Version : Hoping we draft Michael Pouncey

palasport
01-27-2011, 12:58 PM
Imagine the chemistry on the Offensive line,if we had twin brothers playing along side one another,they would really be in sync.:tt:

pete74
01-27-2011, 01:35 PM
i wouldnt complain if he fell to us at 32 but i would love a great NT or CB

El Nino
01-27-2011, 01:38 PM
that'd be an upgrade for sure over foster/essex. i like it

acidburn517
01-27-2011, 02:14 PM
Well he's missing the senior bowl so they're predicting that's gonna make his draft stock drop. I just don't know if he'll make it all the way to the 32nd draft pick. :wink02: I agree, we need to upgrade our corners.

43Hitman
01-27-2011, 02:25 PM
We can get a quality CB in rounds 3-5 that can play in Dicky's scheme. WE really need to shore up our O-line and add youth the the D-line and i feel that should be addressed in rounds 1 and 2 if possible.

El Nino
01-27-2011, 02:27 PM
if mike is available at pick #32 I say we take him. He is projected to go late 1st round to early 2nd round so there's a chance we'll be able to get him, but i wouldn't bank on it.

for corners I think we should give crezdon butler a shot, he was sorely underrated in college and I think he could be a big time player

i really do like the idea of getting mike though. him and his brother have been playing side by side their entire lives, you know they would have to always be on the same page. if starks and colon can come back healthy next season, adding mike could make our line freakin' awesome

43Hitman
01-27-2011, 02:33 PM
if mike is available at pick #32 I say we take him. He is projected to go late 1st round to early 2nd round so there's a chance we'll be able to get him, but i wouldn't bank on it.

for corners I think we should give crezdon butler a shot, he was sorely underrated in college and I think he could be a big time player

I do too and Tomlin really likes this guy, and so far his judgment has been spot on. I still think we need a CB though, isn't Ike's contract coming up? I think if we could get MP, those two would be Steeler stalwarts for a long time. :tt03:

pete74
01-27-2011, 02:37 PM
i dont see Mike making it past Atlanta but if he is there at 32 we will definatly take him. the only way i see us getting him is if we trade up

43Hitman
01-27-2011, 02:52 PM
i dont see Mike making it past Atlanta but if he is there at 32 we will definatly take him. the only way i see us getting him is if we trade up

It may be worth it. Do we get any compensatory picks for Holmes' production?

El Nino
01-27-2011, 02:53 PM
It may be worth it. Do we get any compensatory picks for Holmes' production?

just as long as we don't pull a ditka and trade all of our picks to move up :chuckle:

43Hitman
01-27-2011, 02:58 PM
just as long as we don't pull a ditka and trade all of our picks to move up :chuckle:

Ricky Williams interviews with him wearing a helmet....priceless:chuckle:

SH-Rock
01-27-2011, 03:49 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if they traded up for him.

Dino 6 Rings
01-27-2011, 04:06 PM
I just love the fact that everyone says "if he's on the board at 32..."

HELLLLLLL YEAH!!!!

43Hitman
01-27-2011, 04:27 PM
I just love the fact that everyone says "if he's on the board at 32..."

HELLLLLLL YEAH!!!!

Just business as usual right? :drink:

austinfrench76
01-27-2011, 07:28 PM
Heard alot about Butler coming out of camp but he couldn't get on the field over Lewis the few times he dressed and played this year. Hope he pans out but definitely need to draft an interior O Lineman!

Acerinox
01-28-2011, 04:11 AM
The great news is that the cream of OLine talent in this draft is projected around the bottom of round 1/start of round 2. Normally the class is more impressive than that which means all of the OLine prospects are gone by pick 25 - along with a few reaches who are also gone by then - because of teams that committed themselves to getting a tackle in the draft and then missed out. That has left us with no BPA OLine to take at our pick for so many years, til last year.

Pouncey would of course be excellent, not just for the chemistry, but for the brains and the class of the man - assuming he is really his brother's twin! I imagine Maurkice will be pushing for it in a big way!
However should we miss out on him, or choose to go T rather than C/G, then there are a few other guys well worth thinking about. I'd say Solder & Costanzo will go earlier in the round but I'm quite high on Sherrod, whose brother we had for a bit, if you remember?

El Nino
01-29-2011, 01:15 AM
One thing we have to hope doesn't happen is the Patriots* or Eagles picking him. The pats have 2 picks in rd. 1 that happen before us, and their main guy at guard is a FA that might be walking. We need to hope Mankins gets resigned by the pats* or pouncey is getting picked for sure at 17 or 28. Eagles need both G and T so let's hope they go for tackle.

It's also possible the packers are looking for help at guard. if we win the sb we may have to trade up to get him. Wouldn't it suck if green bay picked him at 31? talk about getting **** blocked lol.

pete74
01-29-2011, 05:12 AM
at the combine Pouncey needs to hold back on all his run times and lifts. if he puts up 225lbs 6 times and runs a 8.9 he will fall to us at 32

Rick5895
01-29-2011, 06:44 AM
If he is still available around 26 or 27, I could see the Steelers trading up to get him, but my guess is he drops to 32. Wisniewski is also another kid with similiar talent with the same grade

sharkweek
01-29-2011, 09:23 AM
We can get a quality CB in rounds 3-5 that can play in Dicky's scheme. WE really need to shore up our O-line and add youth the the D-line and i feel that should be addressed in rounds 1 and 2 if possible.

We just had one of the top 5 rush defenses of all time, best in the league this season by far, and also led the league in sacks (among several other categories). This isn't like the last season when we lost Aaron Smith and the bottom fell out on our D (of course we also lost Troy as well, and our D also got torched in the secondary in many of those losses)

Ziggy Hood had a great season and is enough youth for the short term, our secondary is a much bigger concern IMO. It was the major reason our team tanked last season, and has been the only indication of weakness on our defense this season. With Troy, Timmons, Woodley, and Hood all high draft picks, why not invest a high draft pick in a new DB? McFadden being an underwhelming 2nd round pick is no reason to shy away from rolling the dice again - no pick is a guaranteed success.

Although both are second fiddle to the OL.

That being said, I think people are making way too much out of the Pouncey brothers, there's no guarantee Mike will be as good as his brother. There are plenty of brothers and even some twins that have been in the NFL that have proven it would be the exception, not the norm, and right now I think Mike's stock has risen too high because of his brothers' success.

Curtain_of_Steel
01-29-2011, 09:35 AM
Mike should take one for the team. Just lay down at the combine. Pull a Vince Young on the Wunderlik Test and write down Vince Youngs name in the name field, lol. Take a dive Mike.

Sharkweek:

There maybe be plenty of brothers where one was a bust and the other did well. How many twins are there? How many of those twins started and played on national championship teams? How many of those twins got the accolades at their positions?

His stock has risen because he is good, he can play 2 positions. C although is not his best. But can play 2.

sharkweek
01-29-2011, 10:00 AM
How many of those twins got the accolades at their positions?

His stock has risen because he is good, he can play 2 positions. C although is not his best. But can play 2.

what accolades has he raked in? as far as I know his biggest one is an honorable mention All-Southeastern Conference selection, not a consensus All-American like his brother.

With one more year playing he should have just as many if not more accolades, not fewer. Face it, the primary reason he's being considered a first rounder at all is because of the success of his brother.

With any luck other teams will realize that. And if we do end up snagging him without trading up, I won't be too upset because I can at least believe his brother will help get that kind of value out of him even though he might not be worth a first-round without being on the same team and OL as his brother.

steelerohio
01-29-2011, 10:26 AM
If we get him I am thinking we can call the The Pounce Squad... or the Pouncers... hmmm... I don't know but I am sure the name would be fun if we get him.

palasport
01-29-2011, 10:58 AM
at the combine Pouncey needs to hold back on all his run times and lifts. if he puts up 225lbs 6 times and runs a 8.9 he will fall to us at 32

I totally agree if he could skew the combine a bit it would benefit both him and the Steelers because he would drop fast, since so much info is relied upon in the combine (which not necessarily always holds true) I mean Maurkice and him would play so well together and support one another,think if someone picked a fight with one of the pouncey brothers,they pick at least one a game with Maurkice, two brothers always defend one another. I just think if the Steelers could gurantee drafting him he should lay down a bit so his stock drops.

43Hitman
01-29-2011, 11:46 AM
what accolades has he raked in? as far as I know his biggest one is an honorable mention All-Southeastern Conference selection, not a consensus All-American like his brother.

With one more year playing he should have just as many if not more accolades, not fewer. Face it, the primary reason he's being considered a first rounder at all is because of the success of his brother.

With any luck other teams will realize that. And if we do end up snagging him without trading up, I won't be too upset because I can at least believe his brother will help get that kind of value out of him even though he might not be worth a first-round without being on the same team and OL as his brother.

He didn't get any accolades this year because he moved from G (his natural position) to C, and he struggled with it. He'll be drafted as a G.

El Nino
01-29-2011, 01:11 PM
anyone else think he skipped out on the senior bowl to make his stock drop? some people think he's taking a dive on purpose to drop to the steelers

43Hitman
01-29-2011, 01:32 PM
anyone else think he skipped out on the senior bowl to make his stock drop? some people think he's taking a dive on purpose to drop to the steelers

Thats the first thing I thought of when I heard he was skipping the Senior Bowl tbh.

mcg24
01-29-2011, 02:19 PM
We need another Pouncey

El Nino
01-29-2011, 03:07 PM
starks, kemoeatu, maurkice, mike, colon looks like a great o-line right there. hope they can make it happen, and for ****s sake stay healthy