PDA

View Full Version : More important: Ben or Troy?

Heeeeeeeath
01-27-2011, 02:06 PM
Who is more vital to the success of the Steelers: Ben Roethlisberger or Troy Polamalu?

Hoping this sparks some good debate.

steelerjim58
01-27-2011, 02:44 PM
Ben is more important. I know what the record show when Troy isn't in the line-up, but I would guess that if you looked at each individually, more often than not the d played well enough to win. If Ben were to missed last year the Steelers are sub .500.

El Nino
01-27-2011, 02:50 PM
i really would hate to lose either, but I'll have to say ben. last year troy was out, our defense was swiss cheese but that was also because the backup was ty carter, who, although i like the guy, sucks.

we have better backup safeties depth this year, and mundy seems to have stepped it up a bit. at this point, troy to mundy is less of a dropoff than ben to leftwich

43Hitman
01-27-2011, 02:54 PM
If we had to play Batch or Lefty this whole year, we'd be screwed. No doubt about it, all we have to do is look to the 90's to see that what we were missing was a Franchise QB.

El Nino
01-27-2011, 02:58 PM
If we had to play Batch or Lefty this whole year, we'd be screwed. No doubt about it, all we have to do is look to the 90's to see that what we were missing was a Franchise QB.

behind this o-line i wouldn't be surprised if randle el was our starting qb in week 17 because batch and lefty go down

43Hitman
01-27-2011, 03:06 PM
behind this o-line i wouldn't be surprised if randle el was our starting qb in week 17 because batch and lefty go down

True that :drink:

Steelthe#1dynasty
01-27-2011, 03:13 PM
I believe they are equally as important. Both are irreplaceable! We all know why.. Big plays deep into games.

43Hitman
01-27-2011, 03:14 PM
I believe they are equally as important. Both are irreplaceable! We all know why.. Big plays deep into games.

Don't let that fence post hurt your butt. lol

SeinfeldNut
01-27-2011, 03:19 PM
Would have to say Ben. To get a QB who steps his game up in the playoffs, have the mobility to keep plays alive and have the arm he has is rare.

vasteeler
01-27-2011, 03:22 PM
i would say Ben as well. as was said previously with out Ben we are a .500 ball team

Steelboy84
01-27-2011, 03:23 PM

And every other day I have to argue with idiots about how important Ben is to this organization. I get told "not to use" O'Donnell, Kordell, or Maddox to pump up Ben because he's just a "little" above them. Wow. All I have to say to that is...........

:flipoff:

43Hitman
01-27-2011, 03:32 PM
And every other day I have to argue with idiots about how important Ben is to this organization. I get told "not to use" O'Donnell, Kordell, or Maddox to pump up Ben because he's just a "little" above them. Wow. All I have to say to that is...........

:flipoff:

I would just ask them if they would like to relive those days, because that's exactly what would happen if we didn't have a QB at Ben's level or higher. I have found that most of those fans prefer a pure passer type and have weak intestinal fortitude. :rofl:

plenewken
01-27-2011, 03:33 PM
Both are critical and you can see the difference when they don't play, but I'd' say Ben because the quality of our back-up QBs doesn't match the quality of our back-up safeties.
Oh and Lebeau can adapt better without Polamalu than Arians without Ben.

Steelrule
01-27-2011, 03:41 PM
Well, we did go 3-1 without BB. Am I saying we'd go 12-4 without him, no. But, with our "D" 10-6 was a real possibility however, that may not have been good enough to get into the playoffs.

43Hitman
01-27-2011, 03:43 PM
Well, we did go 3-1 without BB. Am I saying we'd go 12-4 without him, no. But, with our "D" 10-6 was a real possibility however, that may not have been good enough to get into the playoffs.

Do you think Batch or Lefty would have made the rest of the season behind our line? Neither one of those guys can move and both are injury prone. I think given the context of this season, and our current condition of the line, its a no brainer in favor of Ben being more valuable.

harrison'samonster
01-27-2011, 04:30 PM
If we're talking about replacing one or the other for an entire season using only the players we have, Ben is more important. I don't think we could go an entire season without him. I think if Troy went down we would be able to use back-ups to fill in throughout the season.

If we're talking about which one healthy and at their best is more important, I think I'd still go with Ben. I think that's just because of the positions they each play. We wouldn't be a very succesful team without consistently good playing from Ben.

If we're talking about replacing each player at the end of their career's, I'd still go with Ben. It's rare that a team gets two great quarterbacks in a row (Montana, Young are the only quarterbacks that jump to mind)>

steeltheone
01-27-2011, 04:39 PM
BR7 No Doubt...