PDA

View Full Version : Does Cowher need to win a SB to be validated?

BlitzburghRockCity
05-04-2005, 12:46 AM
All Steelers fans know that Cowher is a gutsy, determined, players coach,..the longest tenured current coach, and well respected around the league. Playoff wins, AFC champships, a SB appearance, a 15-1 regular season record... and the list goes on and on and on.. but he's still haunted by the fact of not winning the big dance. In some people's eye's that's a scar on an otherwise stellar career to date.

In your opinion, does he need to win atleat 1 super bowl to be validated and take his place among great coaches in NFL history?

HinesWard4Life8682
05-04-2005, 04:43 PM
i think he does cuz if u look at the teams he had in a past, they were all championship caliber teams except the 2004 season

BlitzburghRockCity
05-04-2005, 08:48 PM
If he doesnt win the big one, he'll still go down as a GREAT coach, but it will definately be asterisk beside his name in most peoples views.

RoethlisBURGHer
05-05-2005, 12:07 AM
I think he already is validated.He's a 1st ballot HOFer with or without the ring.

However,without the ring he'll never be known as a "great" coach.

ironcitychef
05-05-2005, 12:18 AM
He doesn't need to, but he is on the same level as Schott's, Dungy, and Levy. Well respected, successful coaches. To get to the next level and slam the door, he could win one like Gruden, Seiffert, Holmgren, Billick(ow, hurts to write). This of course is not in my book because I love that he is our coach, but if he leaves being the most successful coach in the Pro Bowl not the Super Bowl, many in the sports world outside the 3 rivers will question. I still feel that his record of years in the playoffs exceeds his losses in the championship games.

ChristopherRoss1
05-05-2005, 10:44 AM
All Steelers fans know that Cowher is a gutsy, determined, players coach,..the longest tenured current coach, and well respected around the league. Playoff wins, AFC champships, a SB appearance, a 15-1 regular season record... and the list goes on and on and on.. but he's still haunted by the fact of not winning the big dance. In some people's eye's that's a scar on an otherwise stellar career to date.

In your opinion, does he need to win atleat 1 super bowl to be validated and take his place among great coaches in NFL history?

Validated? He needs to win a SB in order to be forgiven.

ironcitychef
05-05-2005, 12:24 PM
forgiven? For - what? I can't tell you how glad I am we never had a 1-15 season under Cowher. He always makes us competitive and doesn't cave into prima dona players who think they run the team. Yeah he lost one super bowl and a few championship games. Now there are around 26 coaches in the league(plus their owners) who might want to be in that situation. Plus he has been picking up a check every week for 12 years. Float me in the middle, he doesn't need validation, and he sure doesn't need to be forgiven.

BB2W
05-05-2005, 01:08 PM
Nice Poll!........and a good thread. Doesn't look like we have as many Cowher haters as some other "Steeler forums" (spelling may vary). I am interested to see how the poll turns out.......I am very gratefull to have Cowher as our coach the last dozen or more seasons. I think he is a great coach, and even a better motivator. I also think his image, intensity, and game plan are perfect for the city of Pittsburgh. Most players love to play for him, and many wish they could......Sure, I wish we would have won a Superbowl or two in the last decade, but it didn't happen, and I still beleive that there is a Lombardi Trophey in the future for Cowher and the fans of Pittsburgh.

The teams of the 70's spoiled Steeler fans, and distorted reality.......you can't always win the Superbowl. Jeff Fisher has been with the Titans one year less than Cowher, with similar results. He has been so close to winning the Superbowl, and has had many playoff losses. Most Titans fans love Fisher and would not trade him for anyone. Support your coach, he is a pretty good one. I bet fans of Arizona, Detroit and Cincy would love to have Cowher as their coach, and would be very thankfull to be as successfull as the Steelers have been.

ChristopherRoss1
05-05-2005, 01:55 PM
forgiven? For - what? I can't tell you how glad I am we never had a 1-15 season under Cowher. He always makes us competitive and doesn't cave into prima dona players who think they run the team. Yeah he lost one super bowl and a few championship games. Now there are around 26 coaches in the league(plus their owners) who might want to be in that situation. Plus he has been picking up a check every week for 12 years. Float me in the middle, he doesn't need validation, and he sure doesn't need to be forgiven.

If merely being competetive is enough for you, then Cowher's your boy.

It isn't enough for me.

RoethlisBURGHer
05-05-2005, 02:00 PM
If merely being competetive is enough for you, then Cowher's your boy.

It isn't enough for me.

If you're not competitive,then your a shit team like the Browns,Cardinals,Bears,or Lions.

I would rather lose the AFCC Game every year then not even sniff the playoffs.At least we have hope,those teams right now don't.

Hell,to reach the AFCC and win the division as many times as he did with Kordell at QB is amazing.

But don't worry,Cowher will win a SB this year and get the monkey off of his back.Hell,if it wasn't for Neil O'Donnel,he'd have a ring.

clevestinks
05-05-2005, 02:51 PM
I love the fact they we our so consistent, we never really hit rock bottom, like 2 or 3 wins. and when we are down, we get back up in a hurry. Does Cowher need a Ring, you betcha . We need one also. Cowher is more than just a Head Coach, he is Pittsburgh, grew up like us loving the black & gold. Cowher will prove all jis nay sayers wrong this year in Detroit, he`ll shed a tear, and so will I probably

Avoid LLoyd1975
05-05-2005, 03:11 PM
I truly believe he needs a ring. I hope that he doesn't finish up as the Dan Marino of coaches. Tremendous amout of wins/records without a championship

acrossthepond
05-05-2005, 06:10 PM
Hell,if it wasn't for Neil O'Donnel,he'd have a ring.

Or was it Andre Hastings who zigged when he should have zagged?????

acrossthepond
05-05-2005, 06:15 PM
Is that too obscure??? I know Hastings was great for most of that Superbowl (was it 10 catches???) but he claimed afterwards to have zigged when he should have zagged leading to O'Donnell's 2nd interception (went outside when he should have read the pressure and come inside for a safety valve pass - or was it the other way round?) . . . all I mean is I don't think it was totally down to O'Donnell

ironcitychef
05-05-2005, 11:54 PM
I guess I could get over chapionship losses faster than being a 10 year rebuilding team. To compare, I would rather watch Sid Bream reach home plate year after year then see my Pirates gone by the 4th of July. In the NFL you only get 16 games and we sure do make the most out of them. Now in Pittsburgh, we sure are not lowering our standards. We view ourselves as a franchise who always has the goal of winning the Lombardi trophy. I also see us as a smart franchise which knows that Cowher gives this team just as good a shot at reaching and winning a Super Bowl as any other coach.

clevestinks
05-06-2005, 07:17 AM
Where in the hell did Sid Bream learn to run all of a sudden, couldn`t run for us? Our Superbowl ring is coming, I can feel it! After 6-10 season the year before, we all sat down in September to watch the first game of the year, just hoping to finish at least 9-7 and maybe pick up a wildcard. Then we just beat Waiders. So we were happy but a little concerned. Then Tommy goes down, and we lose to the ratbirds. It was looking so good. Then we all know what happen next. We weren`t due last year, we were just hoping to turn things around. This year we are DUE. I`m telling you guys, this is it. For Cowher, the Steelers, for all us here on this site , except bka & hw, for the whole Steelers Nation, we will go to Detroit and bring home "One For The Thumb"

STEELERDYNASTY
05-06-2005, 08:56 AM
Yes he needs AT least one....and I think the first one comes this year!

bigbensgirl7
05-07-2005, 02:17 PM
I am a true Steeler fan, that will be here through thick and thin...however, I can not say that I remember us ever winning because I wasn't even 1 when we won our last one.
I can look back to so many years saying "this is the team that's going to finally do it," only to be heartbroken time and time again. Not to mention all the crap I have to here from fans for the ohio teams...all I have to say to them is how many rings do you have????? And well I am sick of the new found Patriots fans that have emerged in my town in the past couple years (it's sad when I know more about their team then they do)!!!

Every year though I keep a positive attitude, because I know our day is coming!!! :rolleyes:
HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!!!

clevestinks
05-08-2005, 06:53 PM
I feel your pain living in Ohio, the teams here are so sad that the fans instantly become fans of whoever we are playing. Brown fans suck!