PDA

View Full Version : Darrelle Revis: Jets were too 'relaxed'

mesaSteeler
01-27-2011, 09:47 PM
Darrelle Revis: Jets were too 'relaxed'
http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=6066415&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines
(All that mouthy trash talk crap wore them out. - mesa)
By Rich Cimini
ESPNNewYork.com
Archive

Yes, there was a post-New England hangover, according to Darrelle Revis.

The New York Jets' star cornerback, speaking Thursday at the Pro Bowl in Hawaii, said the team was "relaxed" during a listless first half in the AFC Championship Game.

Several players admitted after losing to the Pittsburgh Steelers that the team came out flat, but they refused to connect it to the previous week's emotional and stunning upset of the Patriots -- until Revis.

Asked by the NFL Network if there was a letdown after the divisional win in New England, Revis said, "I think ... you could say that. Yeah, you could say that. On people's body language, you can kind of see guys just relaxed. Guys are relaxed and didn't know what was at stake. That's why we came out so flat and we didn't finish strong."

It's mind-boggling to think a team could lack emotion in a championship game, especially a franchise that hasn't been to the Super Bowl in 42 years, but the Jets got pushed around and fell behind 24-0. Unofficially, they missed 11 tackles in the first half, unable to slow the Steelers' powerful running game.

Revis said several leaders spoke up in the locker room at halftime, including him, and the Jets made a game of it before losing 24-19.

In his Pro Bowl interview, Revis revisited his summer-long holdout, claiming he was prepared to sit out the season if he didn't receive a new contract to his liking. He eventually signed a four-year, $46 million deal, finalized one week before the season opener.

"Yeah, I mean, we prepared for the worst," said Revis, whose holdout was highly contentious. "[I] didn't think I was going to play this year."

Asked if he would've sat out the season, he replied, "We was leaning on that way to do that. We didn't want it to go down that road, but I have to do what's best for me and my agents have to do what's best for me as well."

"I just think the whole situation got out of hand, it really did," he continued. "That's why I wasn't in the media, not trying to say nothing, just keep quiet and relax and one day it's going to get done, and I'll be playing football again."

Revis made the Pro Bowl for the third time in four seasons.

MikeHaullace
01-28-2011, 01:43 AM
The Jets were also too 'not-enough-pointsed'.

Atlanta Dan
01-28-2011, 07:49 AM
And Steelers were too relaxed in the second half

In 2005 the Steelers built on their shocking road upset of the Colts and in 2007 the Giants built on their road upset of Dallas to win the conference championships - a coach is responsible for getting a team to get over a big win in order to be metally ready for the next game - Rex clearly did not know how to handle the post-New England mindset of his team

steelerchad
01-28-2011, 08:47 AM
I tend to think the Steelers just were flat out the better team. The Steelers came out and rammed the ball down the Jets throat for over 9 minutes on their way to 7 points. The Jets were in big trouble from the get go.

caplovestroyp43
01-28-2011, 12:04 PM
"This do hurt. It really do."

Hmmmm maybe he can learn proper English while he sits at home off season ya think?

steelerohio
01-29-2011, 11:47 AM
I tend to think the Steelers just were flat out the better team. The Steelers came out and rammed the ball down the Jets throat for over 9 minutes on their way to 7 points. The Jets were in big trouble from the get go.

:iagree:

Any team that has their defense on the field for the first nine minutes, and giving up plays for a lot fo times to start with, in general, deserves to lose.

However, in the second half, the Steelers just got lucky that they scored more and Ben did what counts in the final minutes.

OX1947
01-30-2011, 07:27 PM
I'm still trying to figure out what the hell Rex Ryan was thinking when he deferred the ball.

El Nino
01-31-2011, 01:24 AM
revis certainly didn't stop 50 something points from happening tonight. man he's so great :P

TRH
01-31-2011, 08:45 AM
too relaxed? Should have thought of that before the game started..........

Dino 6 Rings
01-31-2011, 12:56 PM
I'm still trying to figure out what the hell Rex Ryan was thinking when he deferred the ball.

we always defer. put our defense out there first to get our 'best' unit out there to create a quick 3 and out, hopefully, then grab a lead with our first offensive possession and then be able to control the begining of the second half with the ball in our possession to start the 3rd.

steelerdave1969
02-01-2011, 11:27 AM

I absolutely agree here Chad. The Steelers just came out and whooped
that butt and the Jets weren't expecting the Steelers
to be able to run the ball like they did. But that being said, the Jets did alot better
job of stopping the run in the 2nd half, but the damage was
already done and the Steelers squeaked by. But I will
take it . . Wont You?
:helmet: