PDA

View Full Version : Where's the Cash?

SteelKnight
01-28-2011, 02:35 AM
In order to pay upcoming free agents each year, some pricey players are supposed to retire or we are supposed to be disloyal and cut some pricey players.

A small amount of money will come from the inflation of the cap (it goes up each year) but after that, we can't create money out of thin air.

We probably need Ward to retire. As great as he is (and I think he will have a kick ass Super Bowl), we can't afford to pay nearly 6 million a year for those slow over the middle catches. We need to take that money and give it to Woodley. We need to put Brown in his place.

We gain a little money by releasing Reed. Maybe some that money can be used to give Ike Taylor a salary raise and keep him.

Surprisingly Aaron Smith and James Farrior both make less than 3 million per year each. I was thinking more money could come from those spots should either want out but I guess not.

Whatever it is Willie Colon wants, we won't be able to afford so we can save his 2.2 million and let Adams play for another year while we search for a young cheap replacement.

This team will implode one day...too many rising stars. Wallace was only under a 3 year contract. We can't afford to pay Wallace(final year), Timmons(final year), Troy (final year), Ike (FA), Woodley (FA), Gay (FA), Essex (FA) Dixon (RFA) without more oldies but goodies retiring.

ETA: We definitely definitely would not have been able to afford Holmes.

SteelKnight
01-28-2011, 02:46 AM
We will be strapped for cash. While it is traditional to do contracts one year in advance so players don't hit free agency, you also lose the ability to let them play for dirt cheap one additional year saving money. Sometimes you can save so much money you can afford to give them a 1 million dollar salary increase each year.

I believe Wallace, and Timmons will have to wait and the Steelers will try to do their contracts immediately after the 2011 season ...not this summer. I do believe they will try to take care of Troy this summer. So this offseason will be Woodley, Ike, Troy and if Gay and Essex want to come for cheap, they will try, otherwise, good bye. Dixon, IDK...probably will offer RFA tender just to try to trade him.

If Ward doesn't retire after this season then he had better after next season. We need the cash (it might go directly to Wallace if it is after 2011).

ETA: Oh yeah...I forgot. The trick they can play on Wallace to screw him over for 1 additional year is that he will be a RFA so they can just tender him for a year for some low amount. They could do that while they work out a contract. So no worries.

SteelKnight
01-28-2011, 02:58 AM
The Steelers' run defense has actually improved since Ziggy Hood took over for an injured Aaron Smith at left defensive end in Week 8.
Smith has a reputation as the league's best 3-4 end against the run, but the stats suggest Hood has been just as good. The Steelers allowed 63.8 rushing yards per game with Smith starting versus 62.1 per game with Hood. The 2009 first-rounder is yet another draft "hit" for a franchise that rarely swings and misses.

Translation= we can't afford Aaron Smith. He makes 4.5 million next year. Too bad he won't just retire.

SteelCityMom
01-28-2011, 09:45 AM
You worry too much...I read the first post, but not the rest. I don't need to.

The Steelers FO will figure it out, as they always do. They will not be "imploding". They will keep a few vets around, pay the young guys what they deserve and when their contracts get too big, they will let them go and the younger talent in the shadows will step up. It's the way it's been ever since I can remember. No need to panic about it now.

steeltheone
01-28-2011, 11:50 AM
Our recievers are just not good enough yet to let Ward go. Possible cuts on the Defense Smith, Farrior, Clark.

SoCalFan
01-28-2011, 12:03 PM
Well if the team needs it,I have an extra 28 million I dont need,anyone else???

Curtain_of_Steel
01-28-2011, 12:24 PM
Cut Clark at 2.5mill a year? Not happening.

Ike and Wooldey need to be resigned, and they will have plenty of money to do it, once the cba is done.

If rotoworld is correct, http://www.rotoworld.com/content/clubhouse_contracts.aspx?sport=NFL&majteam=PIT

Hines contract is for 3mill in 2011 and 4 million in 2012.

Smith is at 4.5million
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=642

Smith would not be back at 4.5 when we have ziggy holding it down plenty fine. Once the CBA is done, the cap will climb a good percentage. TV contracts are through the roof on the re-ups.

Farrior is not done yet, at 2.835 for 11 and 12, he isn't going any place.

Foote should be gone we have backups for him, plus Timmons plays most downs anyway

Randel should be gone

Between Randel el foote and smith thats 10million savings. Your only keeping 3 qbs, so some one goes there is savings there too.

stb_steeler
01-28-2011, 12:32 PM
Well if the team needs it,I have an extra 28 million I dont need,anyone else???

Hell yeah.......reach me at......poor@myassisbroke.com

kirklandrules
01-28-2011, 01:51 PM
Implosions come from poor contract strategy. The Steelers are notorious for not deviating from their strategy which has worked for 40 years (reference the Lombardi trophies, conference championships, divisional championships, and total asswhipping the Steelers have put on the rest of the NFL). There will be no implosion. You may see a good player leave for more money than the Steelers are willing to pay, but you won't see a mass exodus. Besides, most good players will provide a little discount to the Steelers because it is one of the best places to play (and win). And don't talk about Colon's contract ... that guy may never see the field again. I wouldn't pay him a huge contract and any teams he may turn to for big money are a bunch of losers.

Come on man, one benefit of being a Steelers fan is not having to worry about the long term success of the team.

tony hipchest
01-28-2011, 03:20 PM
now were getting into some "big boy" talk.

you cant start a sky is falling thread w/o including some fundamental and basic elements.

i take it you have never really studies capology, or in particular the steelers specific situation.

this conversation goes nowhere without knowing-

1) steelers self imposed salary for '10- $132 mil
2) what the salary cap will likely be in '11 if there is one- $142 mil (this is my best conservative educated guess. likely to be higher.
3) how much $$$ is tied up in contracts for '11 (and beyond) - $100 mil.

we are gonna easilly have $42- $45 mil to play with. we are gonna be fine. we havent been one of the most successful franchises in the salary cap era for nothing.

SteelKnight
01-28-2011, 03:26 PM
You worry too much...

The Steelers FO will figure it out, as they always do. They will not be "imploding".

Nah...it's fun to think of these things. My mind is bored of anticipating the Packers game. lol I felt better when I remembered that Wallace will be a RFA so they don't have to do it a year in advance. They could always wait and then just tender him the following year while they work out a deal. That would be smart to save money so you don't have to pay him a high amount for 2 years. The same goes true the following year with Sanders and Brown. We do need Ward's money though.

Cut Clark at 2.5mill a year? Not happening.

Ike and Wooldey need to be resigned, and they will have plenty of money to do it, once the cba is done.

If rotoworld is correct, http://www.rotoworld.com/content/clubhouse_contracts.aspx?sport=NFL&majteam=PIT

Hines contract is for 3mill in 2011 and 4 million in 2012.

Yeah...I saw that too. Some sites might be reporting cap hits while others the base salary. If that's the case, it still sucks because the bonus will be accelerated. This would mean all the extra money from Ward's retirement wouldn't be seen until the following season...but it would be nice that season.

Good point on the extra money from the 18 games. I was not thinking of that because I know the owners wanted a lower percentage of revenue to go to players...but with more revenue it could still help.

Foote's salary is ridiculous. He makes an amount similar to Clark and more than Farrior while on the bench. He need's to go unless Farrior decides to retire. Sorry. What were they thinking? Fox was OK but they need to keep developing Sylvester. I think 4 ILBs on the team is enough anyway. It is crazy to have 5 (Timmons, Farrior, Foote, Fox,Sylvester).

Well at least our free agents list doesn't read like the Jets...they are toast.

SH-Rock
01-28-2011, 03:27 PM
I don't understand how the Steelers are so short on cash? Don't they have the biggest fan base?

SteelKnight
01-28-2011, 04:08 PM
I don't understand how the Steelers are so short on cash? Don't they have the biggest fan base?

There is a salary cap so each team is forced to spend the same amount.

Further, the NFL is considered one and there is revenue sharing so most of the money that comes to the Steelers from merchandise, endorsements, and even regular stadium seats must be put into a pool and split with the league. The rules allow for a special exception where if you have luxury seats, you are allowed to keep that money. This is why many new stadiums are being built to include more boxes and luxury seats. It's funny. So when they say a stadium is old, it is not the age...they are really speaking code talk meaning there are too many regular seats and not enough luxury.

So the Steelers being popular really helps the whole league...not the Steelers alone. When you buy a Ben Jersey, the Steelers don't get more benefit than Jacksonville from that sale.

tony hipchest
01-28-2011, 04:48 PM

the steelers arent short on cash. i have no idea where that crazy notion comes from.

infact this entire thread is so far off base its not even funny. its just wild speculation and conjecture...

basically grabbing potential topic subjects out of thin air and throwing them up on the board to see if they stick. :dang:

SteelKnight
01-28-2011, 05:06 PM
infact this entire thread is so far off base its not even funny. its just wild speculation and conjecture...

Wah wah...back to your "I don't like this thread moderator nonsense". Too bad. Maybe one day you will have football input to actually contribute to a thread. At least you are consistent. lol

Again, go ahead and boycott my threads since I can't block you. That would be awesome!:tt03:

I should go act like a tool and go to each thread that I don't like and whine about it. I'd have to be a loser to keep reading and even a bigger loser to waste my time typing that I don't find a thread useful. Maybe that would put me in the running to become the all time most posts guy...nah...I could never catch up and spend all of my life sustaining that title master postman Tony. Chill...nobody can catch you. post it on your CV...lol

tony hipchest
01-28-2011, 05:28 PM
you posted bullshit and got called out on it. dont whine just because it was shown you dont know what the hell you are talking about, just spewing hot air.

i want this board to be as informative as possible. it is highly regarded because of the number of knowledgable members that post here.

part of my duties as mod is to help maintain that and prevent the spread of misinformation as much as possible.

God forbid anyone actually believe some of the shit you spew out as fact.

SteelKnight
01-28-2011, 05:31 PM
you posted bullshit and got called out on it. dont whine just because it was shown you dont know what the hell you are talking about, just spewing hot air.

i want this board to be as informative as possible. it is highly regarded because of the number of knowledgable members that post here.

part of my duties as mod is to help maintain that and prevent the spread of misinformation as much as possible.

God forbid anyone actually believe some of the shit you spew out as fact.

Got your post count up again...good for you but it won't replace a GED.

If you have football information, share it. Don't sit there and whine about quality of threads. And...I never posted you.

SteelKnight
01-28-2011, 05:35 PM
i want this board to be as informative as possible.

So what is an appropriate answer to someone asking how we could not have enough money to sign players when we are one of the most popular teams...my answer explaining caps and revenue sharing or your answer saying all issues are made up?

School is cool...

tony hipchest
01-28-2011, 05:36 PM
see post #10 idiot.

the way you start dumbass threads and respond to yourself, you will catch me in a year.

:pw:

School is cool...
]

unfortunately youre not.

schooling you is even cooler. :cool:

you should learn to keep your big mouth shut while class is in session.

SteelKnight
01-28-2011, 05:37 PM
see post #10 idiot.

the way you start dumbass threads and respond to yourself, you will catch me in a year.

:pw:

Nobody can catch you fool. Instead, go to college.

I also find it hard to believe the guy with almost 30K posts could call me a post *****. If I tied you up and then doubled by posts and posted every single day (double) for the next 5 years, I still couldn't catch you. Quite amazing!

43Hitman
01-28-2011, 05:54 PM
:popcorn:

SteelKnight
01-28-2011, 05:56 PM
Looks like I'm getting ready to get banned fellas. It was fun. Anybody that follows this board knows I have not been following moderators posts around baiting but rather one followed me around baiting me then crying fowl when you fight back. I've even tried to avoid that person but he had to follow me around and stalk my posts.

Cheers Steeler brothers.

tony hipchest
01-28-2011, 06:01 PM
:wave:

adios. instead of taking your ball and going home, you can just man up and admit you really dont understand how the steelers manage the cap.

they have approx. 100 mil tied up in contracts in 2011 (if there is a season and a cap).

the cap will be atleast 142 mil. (likely more).

you do the math. its quite simple. :coffee:

SteelKnight
01-28-2011, 06:05 PM
:wave:

adios. instead of taking your ball and going home, you can just man up and admit you really dont understand how the steelers manage the cap.

they have approx. 100 mil tied up in contracts in 2011 (if there is a season and a cap).

the cap will be atleast 142 mil. (likely more).

you do the math. its quite simple. :coffee:

Nah...it wasn't about taking a ball and going home. You didn't want to talk football. I'm pretty sure you started the cursing and cheap shots. If I go toe for toe with insults I get infractions...right.

tony hipchest
01-28-2011, 06:17 PM
I'm pretty sure you started the cursing and cheap shots.

and you would be wrong, yet again. i duscussed football and laid out the reality of the situation. you got upset it exposed the rediculousness of this thread. see post #15.

If I go toe for toe with insults I get infractions...right.

theres a simple code around here. attack the post, but dont get personal and attack the poster.

you violated that simple rule.

if youre gonna start telling moderation that they need a GED, SCHOOL, and COLLEGE, youre damn right youre gonna get inftractions.

you should feel lucky im still putting up with your shit. keep it up and you will be banned.

dont post information and keep your "sky is falling- steelers will implode" posts to a minimum if you cant handle being called out on them.

SteelCityMom
01-28-2011, 06:29 PM
I for one am closing the thread...for two reasons:

1). The intent of it is not factual (I tried explaining it in a way that was a little less harsh than Tony and w/o the numbers, but it's true all the same).
2). It's just turning into a drama fest at this point, which means it's just time to step away.

I understand both sides. Yes, no one wants to be told that their thread is pretty much way off base and pointless...but sometimes they are. The Steelers are NOT strapped for cash, and Tony explained why very well in his first post in the thread.

Also, taking slight jabs at the posts and or thread do not equal personal attacks and should not be responded to in kind. And it was in fact you who started with the personal attacks SK. I've enjoyed the conversations we've had before, but this was blown way out of proportion.

That's all I'm going to say about it for now. May this thread die in peace. :tombstone:

pete74
01-29-2011, 05:28 AM
Starks contract is hurting us. as the 2nd highest paid player on our team i feel he is making way to much and i would look to draft his replacement. i like him and would love to keep him but not at 11million fox sports has him at. there is no way he is worth it. he is making more then Jake Long and 8 times as much as Joe thomas.

i understand he is a good player and a key piece of our offense but that is way to much money to pay a non-pro bowl player. we definatly need to find a cheaper replacement