PDA

View Full Version : Steelers concede title belt to Packers' QB Rodgers

mesaSteeler
01-28-2011, 09:45 AM
Steelers concede title belt to Packers' QB Rodgers
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/print_720178.html
By Mark Kaboly
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, January 28, 2011

Some defenders around the NFL haven't been particularly thrilled with quarterback Aaron Rodgers' celebration after touchdowns: a pronounced strapping of an invisible championship belt around his waist.

The Steelers aren't part of that group. In fact, they appreciate the Green Bay standout's gyration, which mimics that of former Philadelphia receiver Freddie Mitchell.

"I like seeing that," cornerback Ike Taylor said. "I like all that. He does that with some umph in it, and that's what I like. I might take it from (him) next year."

Cornerback William Gay also is a fan.

"That's exciting for the game," he said. "That puts excitement on TV. We are in the entertainment business. That's no disrespect to us. That is just something he does, and if you make a play, you can do what you want to do."

Taylor and Gay have their own celebrations. Taylor is known for his "Face Me Ike" action of an open hand gyrating across his face, while Gay imitated rapper Lil Jon's "Yeaaah!" scream during the Steelers' Super Bowl XLIII victory parade.

"I kind of like (Rodgers') celebration," linebacker James Farrior said. "We always say when we go against guys like that do stuff like that, don't let them score."

The Steelers had an up-close view of Rodgers' title belt last season. During the Steelers' 37-36 victory, Rodgers did the celebration after rushing for a touchdown.

"Yeah," Taylor said, "but who won the game?"

The Steelers had a dress rehearsal Thursday ... sort of. Members of the offense and defense shot promos in their uniforms that will air during the Super Bowl. The players involved were Ben Roethlisberger, Hines Ward, James Harrison, LaMarr Woodley and Troy Polamalu, among others.

Safety Will Allen (knee), cornerback Bryant McFadden (abdomen), Polamalu (Achilles), center Maurkice Pouncey (ankle), receiver Emmanuel Sanders (foot) and tackle Jonathan Scott (ribs) didn't practice. Defensive end Aaron Smith (triceps) was limited.

steelers' super bowl takes

Receiver Hines Ward, on Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger:

"I thought when you guys judge quarterbacks, it is all about wins and losses and Super Bowls. He is 10-2 in the playoffs. I don't know why he isn't considered up there with some of the great guys."

Running back Rashard Mendenhall, on missing most of the last Super Bowl season because of an injury:

"It's tough when you're out there, and you're not competing and things like that, but it was a learning experience, as well, watching these men work and being a part of that experience. I wouldn't trade it. It's a lot different being on the other side of it, being counted on to be there and produce. Some of the guys who aren't part of it, I feel for. But, at the same time, you can grow and learn from it, and we're all in it together."

Mendenhall, when asked about taking his game to another level in the AFC Championship Game:

"Maybe. Maybe not. I use every chance, every opportunity, every game to continue to grow. I'm going to continue to do that as long as I'm playing."

Outside linebacker LaMarr Woodley, on recording at least one sack in his first six postseason games:

"If my streak stops, as long as we win, that's what it's about at the end of the day. If I don't get a sack, but if I'm going in there putting pressure on the quarterback, I'll take that over a sack any day."

Receiver Mike Wallace, on team ownership offering players a chance to produce:

"They give guys opportunities. Some guys might have a down year, and other teams might cut them. Here, they give you an opportunity to bounce back. You have so many players who have been here so long, got drafted here and are still here. They really take care of their players."

Mark Kaboly can be reached at mkaboly@dailynewsemail.com or 412-664-9161.

Read more: Steelers concede title belt to Packers' QB Rodgers - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/print_720178.html#ixzz1CLE9yJMI

stlrtruck
01-28-2011, 10:01 AM
As the old cliche goes:

To be the man, you've got to beat the man!

So Mr. Rodgers thinks he's the man. Defense needs to go BEAT the man! And at the end of the game I'd love to see Woodley, Harrison, Keisel, and the other 11 men do that strip him of his title!

Buddha Bus
01-28-2011, 11:02 AM
As the old cliche goes:

To be the man, you've got to beat the man!

So Mr. Rodgers thinks he's the man. Defense needs to go BEAT the man! And at the end of the game I'd love to see Woodley, Harrison, Keisel, and the other 11 men do that strip him of his title!

Truck, you're such a wrestling nerd... I LOVE IT! :chair:

Rodgers still needs to beat THIS guy first, though. :chuckle:

yjW9UXoKU2s

tanda10506
01-28-2011, 11:13 AM
It's funny because even if Rodgers wins the Super Bowl he's still not "the man". Ben is still better. As is Manning, Brady and Brees. Not to take anything away from Rodgers, he's playing fantastic right now, but it's ridiculous the way the media is hanging all over him.

4xSBChamps
01-28-2011, 11:40 AM

yjW9UXoKU2s

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Glensgages/funny%20pictures/RickFlairWoo.gif

TailgateMel
01-28-2011, 11:44 AM
Truck, you're such a wrestling nerd... I LOVE IT! :chair:

yjW9UXoKU2s

I am gonna go on record and tell ya that I friggin love the Rick Flair videos!

WHOO! :tt04:

Buddha Bus
01-28-2011, 12:01 PM

I knew there was something about you I liked, Mel! :hug: :chuckle:

MDSteel15
01-28-2011, 12:11 PM
WOOOOOOOOOOOOO

SoCalFan
01-28-2011, 12:13 PM
I can see Woodley in the 4th quarter knocking Mr.Rodgers on his a$$,standing over him strapping his invisible belt on and getting a 15 yard flag for it!!!!

TRH
01-28-2011, 12:45 PM
Flair's the greatest......Rogers will never be in his league lol

4xSBChamps
01-28-2011, 12:54 PM
I can see Woodley in the 4th quarter knocking Mr.Rodgers on his a$$,standing over him strapping his invisible belt on and getting a 15 yard flag for it!!!!

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Glensgages/football/Goodellonthephone.jpg

"... that'll cost Harrison $50,000..."

Flair's the greatest......Rogers will never be in his league lol

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Glensgages/football/RicFlairasaSteeler2.jpg

DFWSTEELERFAN
01-28-2011, 01:28 PM

Pure greatness... Love me some Rick Flair!

.:applaudit:

bigchuck
01-28-2011, 03:08 PM
whos the first steeler to sack rodgers and strap on the belt?

stlrtruck
01-28-2011, 05:56 PM

Not if he takes two or three steps away from him. I'm hoping he's smart enough to do that, like right after his karate kick.

stlrtruck
01-28-2011, 05:57 PM

They should wait til the final sack of the game with like 1 minute to go when they stop the Packers on 4th down and give the ball back to Ben for the kneel down...then all 11 of them at one time in a line just do it.

4xSBChamps
01-28-2011, 06:38 PM

... I hope it's not Mendenhall...
:wink02:

Riddle_Of_Steel
01-28-2011, 09:06 PM
I say Ziggy gets the first sack. Nobody is paying any attention to him, but he has become an integral part of our pass rush the last few weeks. QBs often step up into the pocket to avoid SIlverback and Woodley, but that option has not been available very often of late with Ziggy collapsing the pocket inwards from the middle.....

He has had a sack in all of the last (4?) games-- I say his streak continues (as well as Lamar's).

Pretty amazing since our DEs are not tasked with getting to the QB. I feel really stupid for calling him a bust at midseason-- he has really turned it on the second half of this year. I watched him some more in that Jets game, and he is so fast off the snap, that he often has those long-azz arms in between the center and guard, spreading them apart, before they even get out of their stances sometimes.

El Nino
01-28-2011, 09:27 PM
... I hope it's not Mendenhall...
:wink02:

LOL so wrong

SteelSurf
01-29-2011, 12:25 PM
Meh. I don't like endzone celebrations.I don't like it when Steelers do it and I sure as hell don't like it when players from another team do it. Childish. Lynn Swann tells of a story that after his first TD catch he proceeded do celebrate. When he got back to the sidelines, Mean Joe Green met up with him,yanked him up by his Jersey and said,"What the hell was that? We don't do that here in Pittsburgh!"

It's not the Steeler way and it sure is not the Packers way as shown by the quote below:

Next time you make a touchdown, act like you've been there before. ~ Vince Lombardi

Kanata-Steeler
01-29-2011, 01:55 PM
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Glensgages/football/Goodellonthephone.jpg

"... that'll cost Harrison $50,000..."

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Glensgages/football/RicFlairasaSteeler2.jpg

Hahaha, that is priceless !

GBpack2010
01-29-2011, 02:58 PM
Rodgers isn't taunting anyone when he does it. It is just something he does. I hope people don't take it like he is talking crap or rubbing it in. Were a classy team or try to be.

El Nino
01-29-2011, 04:08 PM
it's better than that retarded fly around like a jet celebration mark sanchez does.

stlrtruck
01-29-2011, 04:44 PM
Rodgers isn't taunting anyone when he does it. It is just something he does. I hope people don't take it like he is talking crap or rubbing it in. Were a classy team or try to be.

I don't think it's taunting either and it certainly as terrible as I've seen from other players. However, if I were a defensive player I might take exception to it, and in a way it is rodgers talking shite...just him saying I just scored on you and I'm the champion. In turn if the defense doesn't like it, don't let him score and make him pay the moment he does strap the title on meaning the next series hit him hard and make him make a game changing mistake.

Packerstud
01-29-2011, 05:50 PM
if the defense doesn't like it, don't let him score and make him pay the moment he does strap the title on meaning the next series hit him hard and make him make a game changing mistake.

This is why I LOVE football!

acidburn517
01-29-2011, 07:33 PM
it's better than that retarded fly around like a jet celebration mark sanchez does.

I loved how some of the Steelers did the fly around like a jet thing after they beat the Jets. :applaudit::tt:

7steelcurtain5
01-29-2011, 08:04 PM
Its no big deal. This is after all entertainment.