PDA

View Full Version : What's the over all feel for this game?

madtowndrunkard
01-28-2011, 11:54 AM
Im a steeler fan trapped in Wisconsin. So its very possible I'm not getting the same vibe that others are.

I'm getting the feeling that the vast majority of people Nationally think the Steelers will lose. Not only because of the line made by Vegas, but all I am hearing is Rogers is going to rip us apart. There is no way our offense can keep up with the Packers offense. The fans here in Wisconsin have zero respect for the steelers in this match up. Of course much of that is to be expected, here in Wisconsin...... but I think steeler fans are usually a little more respectful of their opponent in games of this magnitude.

I rarely every talk about respect, because I think its total BS for the most part. But when it comes to the SB.... I think the underdog tends to be a little more focused on game day. The coaches of the underdog usually feel that lack of respect and tend to be a little more aggressive in their game plans. But maybe Im wrong on this.... thoughts?

I can tell you one thing....no one in Wisconsin thinks we have a chance. I've been pretty quite in my trash talking...I feel like this is our 3rd SB in 6 years.... I should act like we've been there before. but man am I getting an ear full. The packers have already won the SB in the minds of the media and fans.

plenewken
01-28-2011, 12:14 PM
Green Bay fans are no different than Seahawks fans and Cardinals fans. The last 2 believed they would kick our @ss too and guess what? They both went home the tail between their legs. More importantly, they're never came close to playing in a SB ever again.

We know the difference between a perennial contender and a one year wonder and we don't have to argue with all the j*ckoffs of the planet.

Let them babble. We'll do the talking in 9 days................ on the field.

Atlanta Dan
01-28-2011, 12:20 PM
I do not live in Pittsburgh and cannot speak for the mood in western PA

Of the 7 previous Super Bowl appearances this is only the second time I have not been very confident the Steelers would win - the other was SB XXX when the Steelers lost to Dallas courtesy of the moment being too big for Neil O'Donnell

I think the general assumption is the beat up Steelers OL will be crushed by the Green Bay front seven and the Steelers secondary will not be able to stop Rodgers in a dome, meaning the Steelers cannot keep up if it is a shootout - not saying I necessarily agree with that but that seems to be the story line

Even though they are back in the Super Bowl, I still think the Steelers reputation is diminshed nationally by the Sunday night butt kicking New England administered in November whereas Green Bay lost a close game at New England without Rodgers and blew out the #1 seed Falcons in the playoffs. Along those lines, Pats fan boy Sports Guy Bill Simmons has said the Steelers would have lost the last 2 games to the Jets and Ravens on a neutral field while contending the OL injuries have to be too much at some point

But i have no clue why Packers fans would think this is in the bag, if only because their fans over 25 yeras of age should remember the Pack was a heavy favorite (-11 & 1/2 points) when Green Bay last made the SB against another team with #7 at QB and lost to Denver

madtowndrunkard
01-28-2011, 12:25 PM
Well I definitely don't think the Packers are one year wonders. They are clearly the class of the NFC. I only see a few teams in the NFC built for success over the next few years..... Packers, Giants, Saints, and probably the Falcons. Are any of them Lombardi trophy material? Time will tell.

StainlessStill
01-28-2011, 12:26 PM
Im a steeler fan trapped in Wisconsin. So its very possible I'm not getting the same vibe that others are.

I'm getting the feeling that the vast majority of people Nationally think the Steelers will lose. Not only because of the line made by Vegas, but all I am hearing is Rogers is going to rip us apart. There is no way our offense can keep up with the Packers offense. The fans here in Wisconsin have zero respect for the steelers in this match up. Of course much of that is to be expected, here in Wisconsin...... but I think steeler fans are usually a little more respectful of their opponent in games of this magnitude.

I rarely every talk about respect, because I think its total BS for the most part. But when it comes to the SB.... I think the underdog tends to be a little more focused on game day. The coaches of the underdog usually feel that lack of respect and tend to be a little more aggressive in their game plans. But maybe Im wrong on this.... thoughts?

I can tell you one thing....no one in Wisconsin thinks we have a chance. I've been pretty quite in my trash talking...I feel like this is our 3rd SB in 6 years.... I should act like we've been there before. but man am I getting an ear full. The packers have already won the SB in the minds of the media and fans.

One day I seriously think we have superior players than Green Bay, esp in games like this to where we KNOW how to win and KNOW what to expect.

Today, I'm a little nervous. We'll see what tomorrow brings!

El Nino
01-28-2011, 12:30 PM
I'm confident we will win. I would be more confident if pouncey was healthy though tbh.

TailgateMel
01-28-2011, 12:30 PM
Well, we played two teams that we were heavily favored against for the last two superbowls.

This one we are playing a team that matches up against us very well. I would say that the folks around Pittsburgh are confident that we can win this game if we play two halfs of football and not one. We are PLANNING on winning, but we aren't stupid enough to think that it is going to be as easy as an opponent as the last two superbowls (which the Arizona one was close!)

Of course the folks in Wisconsin are going to be crazy confident and bravado and rah rah rah.. they haven't been to the superbowl in a long time. The bottom line for BOTH teams is if they bring their best to the game and don't screw up! Yea, Rodgers did well against the Falcons in a dome, but they had also lost to them in Week 12 in the same place and only scored 17 points....

To think that this game is going to be exactly like the game last year is as good of a theory as the Pats fans were thinking that the Pats vs. Jets game was going to be the same as the regular season a$$ whoopin.

Overall my hope is that it is a good game, and I am confident that the Steelers will be victorious because they will be well prepared for this game. It really is their chance to shine here and play in a truly great superbowl against an opponent that you can be more proud of beating than the Seahawks or Cardinals. I expect great things from Ben and the defense.

madtowndrunkard
01-28-2011, 12:31 PM

Of the 7 previous Super Bowl appearances this is only the second time I have not been very confident the Steelers would win - the other was SB XXX when the Steelers lost to Dallas courtesy of the moment being too big for Neil O'Donnell

I think the general assumption is the beat up Steelers OL will be crushed by the Green Bay front seven and the Steelers secondary will not be able to stop Rodgers in a dome, meaning the Steelers cannot keep up if it is a shootout - not saying I necessarily agree with that but that seems to be the story line

Even though they are back in the Super Bowl, I still think the Steelers reputation is diminshed nationally by the Sunday night butt kicking New England administered in November whereas Green Bay lost a close game at New England without Rodgers and blew out the #1 seed Falcons in the playoffs. Along those lines, Pats fan boy Sports Guy Bill Simmons has said the Steelers would have lost the last 2 games to the Jets and Ravens on a neutral field while contending the OL injuries have to be too much at some point

But i have no clue why Packers fans would think this is in the bag, if only because their fans over 25 yeras of age should remember the Pack was a heavy favorite (-11 & 1/2 points) when Green Bay last made the SB against another team with #7 at QB and lost to Denver

I know exactly what you mean. Especially the last 2. Seattle and Arizona are no where near the opponent that GB is. I think back to those last 2 SBs and I wonder how the hell did those two teams even make it?

We truly do have our arms full in this one. I have the same feeling about this matchup as I did vs the Saints and Patriots this year....and to some extent the NY Jets. I really thought the Jets were much better then what the majority of steeler fans realized. If the jets had an Aaron Rogers on their team we probably lose that game.

madtowndrunkard
01-28-2011, 12:42 PM
Well, we played two teams that we were heavily favored against for the last two superbowls.

This one we are playing a team that matches up against us very well. I would say that the folks around Pittsburgh are confident that we can win this game if we play two halfs of football and not one. We are PLANNING on winning, but we aren't stupid enough to think that it is going to be as easy as an opponent as the last two superbowls (which the Arizona one was close!)

Of course the folks in Wisconsin are going to be crazy confident and bravado and rah rah rah.. they haven't been to the superbowl in a long time. The bottom line for BOTH teams is if they bring their best to the game and don't screw up! Yea, Rodgers did well against the Falcons in a dome, but they had also lost to them in Week 12 in the same place and only scored 17 points....

To think that this game is going to be exactly like the game last year is as good of a theory as the Pats fans were thinking that the Pats vs. Jets game was going to be the same as the regular season a$$ whoopin.

Overall my hope is that it is a good game, and I am confident that the Steelers will be victorious because they will be well prepared for this game. It really is their chance to shine here and play in a truly great superbowl against an opponent that you can be more proud of beating than the Seahawks or Cardinals. I expect great things from Ben and the defense.

I'm betting $ that Arians game plan is to air it out. Arians wants a shoot out. As crazy as that sounds there are reasons for it.

Look at past playoff games. Arians conservative game plans seem to go out the window in big games. I agree you can totally ignore the last steelers vs packers match up...but I think Arians will use the same game plan against Dom Capers defense.

TRH
01-28-2011, 12:43 PM
the Packers are the media darlings right now. Thats why you're hearing so much about it. Most knowledgeable analysts i've listened to are pretty split down the middle. They have it right.
Its hard to get a total overall feel for this game. These are really 2 solidly matched-up teams. It could go either way.
The keys will be showing up 'prepared', and executing to score points. Other than that, to me, its really a tight match-up.

Atlanta Dan
01-28-2011, 12:47 PM
I know exactly what you mean. Especially the last 2. Seattle and Arizona are no where near the opponent that GB is. I think back to those last 2 SBs and I wonder how the hell did those two teams even make it? .

Because of how they played in Detroit it is easy to forget that the 2005 Seahawks looked very good on paper

13-3/ranked # 1 in scoring & #2 in total yards/ranked #7 in points allowed

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/sea/2005.htm

But with the storyline of Bettis going back home to Detroit for his last hurrah after 3 playoff road wins while rallying to even make the playoffs, I just assumed there was no way the Steelers would lose to Seattle

Green Bay's trip to the SB is somewhat similar to that of the 2005 Steelers (qualify as a wildcard on the last day of the season after falling behind in the playoff race when your starting QB missed some games late in the season) and the 3 playoff road wins may be a big factor in the Green Bay support - if they do that on the road some may imagine they will be even better on a neutral field

acidburn517
01-28-2011, 12:53 PM

I'm in the same boat as you (moved to WI from Pittsburgh... I miss pittsburgh!) and I've been hearing it from everyone here how the Steelers are gonna get their butt kicked. I admit it's kinda getting to me as I'm actually a bit worried about this one more than the one against Arizona. I remember the last one, everyone was saying we couldn't keep up with the AZ offense but I knew their defense didn't quite match ours. Not the same with the Packers and this highly worries me along with our patch up O-line. I think this is moreso a toss up than the previous 2. I do hope we pull it off. But it's a game I'm approaching with a lot of caution. While I am hopeful we win, I would not be quite as devastated if we lose (as I think this team is a good equal to ours).

The one thing I do agree on with the Packers fans though is that this is likely gonna be a pretty good game.

Go Steelers! :tt04:

SteelCityRules
01-28-2011, 12:54 PM
I am in Utah, & my friend & I are the only Steelers fans I know personally (I see a ton of Troy fans here. He is just popular, & we have an Islander population that many are fans) , & alot of my friends are 'packers' fans. I swear, they come out of the woodwork, & it is *(&*$#$%^^$ annoying. They are talking so much smack & their '12' titles, & all. However, those who are NOT Pack fans, seem to think the Steelers will win, even though most of them don't want them to. lol

I am sick of my friends & the media & their love affair w/ them. It's obnoxious. *goes off to her corner & pouts* lol

SoCalFan
01-28-2011, 12:56 PM
The pack lost to teams like the dolphins,skins and the lions,the Lions in week 14.Im feeling really confident about a win.The Bears showed that Mr.rodgers can be rattled and I think he is coming into this game bruised and banged up thanks to the Bears D.I think our running game and speedy wideouts with Heath will prove to be too much for the pack.I also think having Superbowl experience will weigh heavily in favor of the Steelers in terms of getting plenty of rest(sleep) in the days leading up to the game and game time pressure!!!

stb_steeler
01-28-2011, 12:59 PM

Of coarse opposing team fans believe the other team doesnt have a chance....Its what fans do. Lets not forget the Bears had a shot in that NFC playoff game, they shot themselfs in the foot, not greenbay!

stb_steeler
01-28-2011, 01:01 PM
The pack lost to teams like the dolphins,skins and the lions,the Lions in week 14.Im feeling really confident about a win.The Bears showed that Mr.rodgers can be rattled and I think he is coming into this game bruised and banged up thanks to the Bears D.I think our running game and speedy wideouts with Heath will prove to be too much for the pack.I also think having Superbowl experience will weigh heavily in favor of the Steelers in terms of getting plenty of rest(sleep) in the days leading up to the game and game time pressure!!!

I agree with ya SoCal.......The Steelers know what to expect goin into the SB....I like how the team keeps their poise.

WickedSteel
01-28-2011, 01:02 PM
I have a bad feeling for this game. These Packers are a complete team and are on fire right now.

Rodgers is much like Brady and Brees in that he can get rid of the ball in a hurry to the underneath receiver. The Steelers always have problems with these QBs and this type of offense. The Pack will have a hard time running but they can easily pick apart our suspect secondary. Jennings is world class, Driver is their version of Hines Ward and their 3rd and 4th guys are excellent as well. I believe that Green Bay will use the pass to set up the run and Starks has really emerged as a capable back.

I think the Steelers' O line will have difficulties with the Pack's zone blitzes. Capers will have his A game ready and be throwing everything that he can at the offense to blow them up. I believe that Miller will be hardly used in the passing game because they will have to leave him back to block. Same rings true for Mendy. Forte was able to have success catching the ball against Green Bay but I think the O line will be under constant fire and need his help. In order for Wallace, Brown and Sanders to use their speed, Ben will have to have plenty of time in the pocket to allow them to beat their men. The way things have gone so far this season, I see the pocket collapsing in a hurry making it very hard for Ben to get accurate throws down the field to his burners. I also see Woodson and Williams being very physical with our receivers right off the line negating their ability to blow past them.

If the Steelers bring their A game they have a good chance of winning. If they are unable to pressure Rodgers and allow him to pick the D apart, we will be in for a long game. On the offensive side, if we are unable to run the ball and become one dimensional I believe that we will be in trouble.

If the Steelers are able to control the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball by establishing the run and pressuring Rodgers, I think we win. If Rodgers is able to stand back there and make plays with no pressure, I think we lose.

madtowndrunkard
01-28-2011, 01:06 PM
the Packers are the media darlings right now. Thats why you're hearing so much about it. Most knowledgeable analysts i've listened to are pretty split down the middle. They have it right.
Its hard to get a total overall feel for this game. These are really 2 solidly matched-up teams. It could go either way.
The keys will be showing up 'prepared', and executing to score points. Other than that, to me, its really a tight match-up.

Typically in games like this, with two evenly matched opponents, it comes down to coaching.

Tomlin vs McCarthy / Capers vs Lebeau.

McCarthy is a hands on coach....Tomlin is an emotional coach who delegates.

Lebeau is the master of the 3-4..... Capers is a very experienced student on the 3-4.

The game should be epic but could easily turn into a blow out.

plenewken
01-28-2011, 01:08 PM

The big difference between SB XXX and SB XLV is the Cowboys were the dominant franchise back then, with 3 SB victories in 4 years. The Packers have nothing to show for in this domain.

The only thing that could lower your confidence is the fact that the Packers, so far, have replicated what the Steelers did in 2006. Being #6 seed and going to the SB after 3 wins on the road in the playoffs. The comparison stops here. First, we made it to the SB after making it to the AFC Championship the year before. Second, we're not the Seahawks.

Coming back to the comparison with the Cowboys. We're going to play our 3rd SB in 5 years so we're clearly the dominant franchise. No reason to make a complex vis a vis the Packers.

I'm not saying it's a guaranteed W for us but very objectively, our experience of big games will be a tremendous advantage, all things being equal (and they're not).

SoCalFan
01-28-2011, 01:09 PM
Wicked Steel,if we cant run the ball well,WE DO have the passing game to get the job done!Have a little confidence!!!

stb_steeler
01-28-2011, 01:10 PM
Typically in games like this, with two evenly matched opponents, it comes down to coaching.

Tomlin vs McCarthy / Capers vs Lebeau.

McCarthy is a hands on coach....Tomlin is an emotional coach who delegates.

Lebeau is the master of the 3-4..... Capers is a very experienced student on the 3-4.

The game should be epic but could easily turn into a blow out.

Blow out for who? I see a close one........

Sixburgher
01-28-2011, 01:13 PM
Even though they are back in the Super Bowl, I still think the Steelers reputation is diminshed nationally by the Sunday night butt kicking New England administered in November whereas Green Bay lost a close game at New England without Rodgers and blew out the #1 seed Falcons in the playoffs.

And Green Bay lost to Detroit. If we're going to hearken back to a November game against the Patriots as some sort of barometer of how we'll do against Green Bay, it's only fair to mention the clunker they laid out there against Detroit in December. They didn't exactly look like world beaters against Chicago in the 2nd half last week either.

caseyviator
01-28-2011, 01:16 PM
this is gettin annoying as hell...everyone seems on the packs bandwagon..the way the bears totally shut them down tells me we are not only gonna win but its gonna be another blowout with us lettin them make it close at the end of the game...people must realize we are the fastest and most experienced team in the nfl.

when our teams gets on this superfast track and warm temps we are gonna be unstoppable , just like in the first half of the jets game ..in my opinion the packers are the 4th best team in the nfl
steelers
ravens
jets
pats-packers

they will see the steelers have not got a chance to play on a superfast track with everyone fairly healthy in a long time

wallace superspeed is back
bens long bomb is back
troys super playmakin ability is back

we are ready to blow sumone out and the pack is the team thats gonna get whacked

im tellin you we will be way ahead til we play prevent and shut down the o..then they will get sum late score to make it appear close.

mark my words we ill kill rodgers he has not played a d like this ever!! thats waitin for him in just a few days.

steelers 34
packer 24

stb_steeler
01-28-2011, 01:17 PM
And Green Bay lost to Detroit. If we're going to hearken back to a November game against the Patriots as some sort of barometer of how we'll do against Green Bay, it's only fair to mention the clunker they laid out there against Detroit in December. They didn't exactly look like world beaters against Chicago in the 2nd half last week either.

Exactly.......If the real Cutler would of shown up it would have been a different game!

madtowndrunkard
I have a bad feeling for this game. These Packers are a complete team and are on fire right now.

Rodgers is much like Brady and Brees in that he can get rid of the ball in a hurry to the underneath receiver. The Steelers always have problems with these QBs and this type of offense. The Pack will have a hard time running but they can easily pick apart our suspect secondary. Jennings is world class, Driver is their version of Hines Ward and their 3rd and 4th guys are excellent as well. I believe that Green Bay will use the pass to set up the run and Starks has really emerged as a capable back.

I think the Steelers' O line will have difficulties with the Pack's zone blitzes. Capers will have his A game ready and be throwing everything that he can at the offense to blow them up. I believe that Miller will be hardly used in the passing game because they will have to leave him back to block. Same rings true for Mendy. Forte was able to have success catching the ball against Green Bay but I think the O line will be under constant fire and need his help. In order for Wallace, Brown and Sanders to use their speed, Ben will have to have plenty of time in the pocket to allow them to beat their men. The way things have gone so far this season, I see the pocket collapsing in a hurry making it very hard for Ben to get accurate throws down the field to his burners. I also see Woodson and Williams being very physical with our receivers right off the line negating their ability to blow past them.

If the Steelers bring their A game they have a good chance of winning. If they are unable to pressure Rodgers and allow him to pick the D apart, we will be in for a long game. On the offensive side, if we are unable to run the ball and become one dimensional I believe that we will be in trouble.

If the Steelers are able to control the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball by establishing the run and pressuring Rodgers, I think we win. If Rodgers is able to stand back there and make plays with no pressure, I think we lose.

Here is where I think you are wrong. The Patriots make a living off beating the 3-4 w/ a one dimensional offense. That NE vs GB game was very strange to watch. Im not sure you can take anything from it, other then GBs secondary had little problem covering NE's WR's. Also GB managed to surprise NE with their running game. The norm is NE and Tom Brady throwing at will and completely ignoring the running game against the 3-4.

If Ben is in the zone and throwing his deep ball with accuracy it might be a good idea to air it out against the Packers. If Ben cant' hit his WR's deep then we are toast and the only chance we have is if we run all over the Packers. The Packers do pose some problems for us, but I think the same can be said for us.

The only way GB keeps Wallace out of this game is if they double him up with a safety. Which of course should open things up for our running game, Heath, and the rookie duo. If the Packers corners try to play physical against Hines Ward, Hines will put on a clinic with the underneath routes.

I notice no one is talking about ST's play. We do have the worst kick coverage in the league. I pray this does not rear it's ugly head.

WickedSteel
Wicked Steel,if we cant run the ball well,WE DO have the passing game to get the job done!Have a little confidence!!!

I understand that but our passing attack relies heavily on play action. If we can't run the ball AND the Pack is able to dominate our O line it will make it very difficult for Ben to have the time to make plays down the field. In light of this I really hope that Arians will stop going for home runs down the field and use the dink and dunk passing game that the Pats use so well.

Atlanta Dan
01-28-2011, 01:19 PM

The Detroit game was the one in which Rodgers was knocked out of the game in the second quarter, which is why they are getting a pass there

Steelers had all hands on deck for the New England game who will play in Dallas - my point is not that the New England game should predict the outcome in Dallas but that the perception the Steelers have trouble stopping a precision passing attack even with Polamalu comes out of that game. Steelers were favored in that game - after that game New England became the consensus choice to win the Super Bowl (although that consensus did not pan out:chuckle:)

stb_steeler
01-28-2011, 01:19 PM
this is gettin annoying as hell...everyone seems on the packs bandwagon..the way the bears totally shut them down tells me we are not only gonna win but its gonna be another blowout with us lettin them make it close at the end of the game...people must realize we are the fastest and most experienced team in the nfl.

when our teams gets on this superfast track and warm temps we are gonna be unstoppable , just like in the first half of the jets game ..in my opinion the packers are the 4th best team in the nfl
steelers
ravens
jets
pats-packers

they will see the steelers have not got a chance to play on a superfast track with everyone fairly healthy in a long time

bens long bomb is back

we are ready to blow sumone out and the pack is the team thats gonna get whacked

im tellin you we will be way ahead til we play prevent and shut down the o..then they will get sum late score to make it appear close.

mark my words we ill kill rodgers he has not played a d like this ever!! thats waitin for him in just a few days.

steelers 34
packer 24

I was thinking the Steelers will prolly play the same type of game we did against the Jets.

CargoJon
01-28-2011, 01:20 PM
I'm optimistic but nervous about this one. I always knew we'd beat Seattle and Zona. Not so with this one.

I think we should be able to move the ball against them, the question will be can we stop them from doing the same?

On a side-note - there is always a chance Rogers takes a shot and get re-concussed. Nobody hopes for injuries, but at the same time I wonder if he's one hard shot away from seeing stars....

madtowndrunkard
01-28-2011, 01:22 PM
This is worth mention I think..... as a resident of Wisconsin I've seen my fair share of GB games.

The Packers secondary is often watching the QB. They look for the INT. The pump fake could come up huge for Ben.

This could also spell doom for Ben. I remember plenty of balls thrown by Ben, where if the DB was looking back he'd have been picked off. Ben sneaks a lot of balls by DB's blanketing our WR's.

plenewken
01-28-2011, 01:24 PM
I notice no one is talking about ST's play. We do have the worst kick coverage in the league. I pray this does not rear it's ugly head.

Playing in a dome makes things easier for our kicker and STs. I'm not worried.

madtowndrunkard
01-28-2011, 01:29 PM

steelers
ravens
jets
pats-packers

bens long bomb is back

steelers 34
packer 24

I fail to see how a fast field helps us. There is a reason why we play our home games on the sloppiest field in the NFL.

Ben's accuracy was horrible against the Jets.

Since Troy re injured that ankle of his, he's been much less of a force.

I hope these two week off heal us up. Because even though the Packers have the most players on the IR.... we are the most banged up going into this game. I also think we are missing more crucial players then the Packers right now.

key steeler injuries:
BOTH starting OT's
Pro Bowl Center
Pro Bowl DE
Troy limping
Starting corner questionable
starting Punter

key Packer injuries:
Pro Bowl TE
starting RB
starting LB
A whole bunch of a mediocre players and back ups on the IR

I'd trade these injuries with the Packers any day to get Smith, Pouncey, Starks, Colon, and a healthy Troy back. IMO the easiest of injuries to weather is to your TE and RB's. Our entire O-line is in shambles. Our best man on the D-line is done and our biggest playmaker is gimpy. I also seriously wonder if Harrison isn't hurt. He was eerily quiet last week against the Jets.

Sixburgher
01-28-2011, 01:34 PM
The Detroit game was the one in which Rodgers was knocked out of the game in the second quarter, which is why they are getting a pass there

Why should they get a pass for it? We were without Ben against Tampa Bay on the road too - 38-13 for us, as I recall.

CargoJon
01-28-2011, 01:34 PM
This is worth mention I think..... as a resident of Wisconsin I've seen my fair share of GB games.

The Packers secondary is often watching the QB. They look for the INT. The pump fake could come up huge for Ben.

This could also spell doom for Ben. I remember plenty of balls thrown by Ben, where if the DB was looking back he'd have been picked off. Ben sneaks a lot of balls by DB's blanketing our WR's.

We all know Ben does like his pump fake. What was it like 4 of them on that one sack by the Jets? :doh:

plenewken
01-28-2011, 01:35 PM
I fail to see how a fast field helps us. There is a reason why we play our home games on the sloppiest field in the NFL.

It's not going to help/hurt us more than the Packers. They play on the same surface as we do (DD Master).
My point was in a dome, our KOs should reach the end zone. It's more difficult to do at Heinz Field with the wind.

Atlanta Dan
01-28-2011, 01:36 PM
I'm optimistic but nervous about this one. I always knew we'd beat Seattle and Zona. Not so with this one.

I think we should be able to move the ball against them, the question will be can we stop them from doing the same?

On a side-note - there is always a chance Rogers takes a shot and get re-concussed. Nobody hopes for injuries, but at the same time I wonder if he's one hard shot away from seeing stars....

Of course Ben and Troy also have histories of repeated concussions

LegendSteel
01-28-2011, 01:40 PM
After coming back against the Ravens and beating the Jets, I just don't see them doing all that only to lose to the Packers. That's my "feel" on this game.

steelerschik
01-28-2011, 01:41 PM

I personally feel good, but I work for the Steelers so I should, lol. But I think the city itself likes our chances as well, why wouldn't we? I know we think we're gonna win here in the office!!! With Seattle all you heard about was Hasslebeck and their running game, we couldn't beat them. With AZ, how would we contain Boldin/Fitz/Breaston/Warner. The Steelers seem to play better when they feel disrespected. I like the disrespect card, so why not play it? Big pep rally today at 4:30 at Heinz Field, should be fun...cold, but fun! :tt:

Atlanta Dan
01-28-2011, 01:41 PM
Why should they get a pass for it? We were without Ben against Tampa Bay on the road too - 38-13 for us, as I recall.

Umm - because the subject of the thread is "what's the over all feel for the game" and everyone I know is basing their feel for the game on factors including the assumption Rodgers will be playing under ideal field conditions for a team with a passing offense such as that he runs.

We are not talking about whether the Detroit loss should have had a greater impact on the BCS ranking for the Packers:

Sixburgher
01-28-2011, 01:45 PM
We are not talking about whether the Detroit loss should have had a greater impact on the BCS ranking for the Packers:

Could have fooled me. Seems the general "feel" here appears largely to be based on games played weeks and months ago. Namely, the results of both teams against the Patriots.

madtowndrunkard
01-28-2011, 01:46 PM
It's not going to help/hurt us more than the Packers. They play on the same surface as we do (DD Master).
My point was in a dome, our KOs should reach the end zone. It's more difficult to do at Heinz Field with the wind.

The GB surface may be the same as ours, but for some reason ours looks like a construction site while the Packers field looks great.

A sloppy field in Chicago didn't seem to bother GB. Nor would it bother us. But I think a fast field tends to help passing offenses and scoring. Thats always been the general consensus.

There are three players on our team though that I think will love a fast field..... Mr. Harrison, Mr. Wallace, and Mr. Polamalu.

stb_steeler
01-28-2011, 01:54 PM
I personally feel good, but I work for the Steelers so I should, lol. But I think the city itself likes our chances as well, why wouldn't we? I know we think we're gonna win here in the office!!! With Seattle all you heard about was Hasslebeck and their running game, we couldn't beat them. With AZ, how would we contain Boldin/Fitz/Breaston/Warner. The Steelers seem to play better when they feel disrespected. I like the disrespect card, so why not play it? Big pep rally today at 4:30 at Heinz Field, should be fun...cold, but fun! :tt:

If you run into Mr. Rooney ask him why he didnt get back to me about the job at Heinz field.....:rofl:

plenewken
01-28-2011, 01:59 PM
The GB surface may be the same as ours, but for some reason ours looks like a construction site while the Packers field looks great.

A sloppy field in Chicago didn't seem to bother GB. Nor would it bother us. But I think a fast field tends to help passing offenses and scoring. Thats always been the general consensus.

There are three players on our team though that I think will love a fast field..... Mr. Harrison, Mr. Wallace, and Mr. Polamalu.

I don't think it makes much difference except for STs.

As for Heinz Field vs Lambeau, Green Bay doesn't have a College and High Schools playing there ........... nor a Winter Classic.

I'm all for switching to turf, but ain't gonna happen.

steelerschik
01-28-2011, 02:07 PM
If you run into Mr. Rooney ask him why he didnt get back to me about the job at Heinz field.....:rofl:

LOL, I'll be sure to do just that! I'm a secretary here and I can say they are a hell of an organization to work for and they treat their employees well. And NO, we don't all get SB tickets and we didn't even get PO tickets for free, but regular season tickets come pretty easily (and free!!)

steelers33
01-28-2011, 02:10 PM
Yah I feel you man, I live in Wisconsin too and I hve been hearing it from my friends pretty gold but it's been fun. As for the game: I like our coaching,talent, and experience to prevail.

madtowndrunkard
01-28-2011, 02:11 PM
LOL, I'll be sure to do just that! I'm a secretary here and I can say they are a hell of an organization to work for and they treat their employees well. And NO, we don't all get SB tickets and we didn't even get PO tickets for free, but regular season tickets come pretty easily (and free!!)

So you are one of "those" secretaries ? :chuckle:

steelerschik
01-28-2011, 02:15 PM

So you are one of "those" secretaries ? :chuckle:

LOL, hmmmmmmmm, maybe. :blush:

RowHH
01-29-2011, 11:30 AM
Like someone else said earlier in the thread, this is only the second time I've gone into a Steelers Super Bowl feeling as if it'll be a loss. (Yes, I'm old enough to remember Super Bowl IX.) Just don't like the match-up, especially with Pouncey either out or playing at way less than 100 percent.

My hope is that the big stage and the open week will bring the Packers back to earth. They were on quite a roll, although they finally looked mortal in the second half of the conference final.

FanSince72
01-29-2011, 11:54 AM
My overall feel is that we're gonna come into Dallas, kick the livin' shit out of the Packers, collect another trophy with their old boss' name on it and go home.

Veni, vidi, vici.

Rick5895
01-29-2011, 12:10 PM
My feeling is we will win a close game. I think we will be able to run the ball and keep the GB D on the field. If thats the case ( I expct it will be) the packers will , IMO, have to attempt to run the ball to give the defense a rest. Once we establish the run early in the game, we will be able to hit them deep. Of course I am sure the Packers coaches expect this.
Steelers 31, Packers 27

dcbng
01-29-2011, 01:43 PM
Steelers win, no doubt.
As for all the injuries that the Steelers have, you adapt and overcome.
As for the Rodgers and his flinging the ball. He has no Idea of the game that he is about to play in. The packers have only two players on their roster that have even been to a super bowl, both lost. Nobody is there to show them how to win a game of this magnitude.

The Steelers have a 'been there, done that' type of swagger. Not overconfident, but well aware of what is expected of them.

The Steelers will be able to cope with the media, the hype, and all that goes with it.

The packers don't have this experience, And it may contribute to their downfall.

Ben knows what to do with the ball when down a score and 2 minutes to go 89 yards for a win, in this type of game. Can Rogers say that?

I am confident, my Steelers flags are flying, I never leave the house without wearing Black and Gold.
And I enjoy talking a little trash to the deadskins fans.

Yeah, I am ready.

Kanata-Steeler
01-29-2011, 02:09 PM
We win 27-17 (just like SuperBowl XXX, but reverse), why?, I dunno, but I think our "D" will so "discombobulate" Mr. A__ Rodgers that he will become like O'Donnell in the last Quarter !

stb_steeler
01-29-2011, 02:52 PM

Im not in it for the SB tix........Be nice to work for the best sports franchise in the world....lol