PDA

View Full Version : ESPN - All 106 Super Bowl XLV Players Ranked

Atlanta Dan
01-28-2011, 12:10 PM
Interesting read

Ben Roethlisberger gets the nod at No. 1; who rounds out the top 10?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2010/news/story?id=6060768

CargoJon
01-28-2011, 12:24 PM
I disagree - I'd call Woodley "Elite" as well.

DanRooney
01-28-2011, 12:25 PM
Did they just put Clay Matthews above Troy? I stopped reading after that.

CargoJon
01-28-2011, 12:26 PM

Um, yeah. Good point.

Atlanta Dan
01-28-2011, 12:31 PM

Some media outlets have named Matthews defensive player of the year and the perception is Troy currrently is nowhere near 100% healthy based on his play the last 2 weeks. This is stated in the explanation for Troy's ranking

Polamalu's role in this great defense has diminished in the playoffs and he hasn't been near the line of scrimmage as much as usual. That makes me think he just hasn't been 100 percent healthy.

The ranking as it applies to players at this moment is not indefensible

madtowndrunkard
01-28-2011, 12:56 PM

I actually think this is pretty accurate. The only ranking I'd disagree with is Hines Ward.

Apparently people forget his ability to put up a 100 yard game, not to mention how clutch he is. I'm not even bringing up his physical presence on the field blocking and running with the ball. Ignore Hines Ward and he'll take over this game.

caseyviator
01-28-2011, 01:17 PM
atleast they got #1 rite

SH-Rock
01-28-2011, 01:19 PM
Matt Williamson is a huge Pittsburgh homer, if you guys listen to Football Today then you would know.

jjpro11
01-28-2011, 01:24 PM
Woodley is ranked too low given his performance this postseason, and every other postseason game he has played in prior to this year. Ike Taylor gets no respect once again. McFadden is ranked too high. Eason has been better than at least Spaeth and Leftwich this season. David Johnson has been a bigger contributor than Spaeth on offense. Stevenson Sylvester is ranked too low, he's a damn good special teamer.

madtowndrunkard
01-28-2011, 02:49 PM
Woodley is ranked too low given his performance this postseason, and every other postseason game he has played in prior to this year. Ike Taylor gets no respect once again. McFadden is ranked too high. Eason has been better than at least Spaeth and Leftwich this season. David Johnson has been a bigger contributor than Spaeth on offense. Stevenson Sylvester is ranked too low, he's a damn good special teamer.

I would agree Woodley has really stepped it up in the playoffs, but when is the last time Woodley has taken a game over? I think for you to be considered an elite player you have to be the kind of player who can take it over at any given moment. I can think of at least 3-4 games this year that Troy has basically won him self....meaning we would have lost if it weren't for Troy. You cold easily say the same about Harrison and Ben.

Troy, Harrison, and Ben are all definitely in the class. As much as I love Woodley I don't put him in that elite group.

lionslicer
01-28-2011, 03:10 PM
I think Woodley should be higher just because of his playoff performances. But not top 5, standing on the outside at like 7.

I think its pretty good though, of course Steeler fans want the top 53 to be Steelers lol, but it doesn't work that way

SteelKnight
01-28-2011, 03:36 PM

Interesting list. Yeah...I'd put Woodley as Elite and above Timmons.

43Hitman
01-28-2011, 03:42 PM

Yep they did, and I stopped reading from that point as well.

El Nino
01-28-2011, 04:33 PM
antonio brown should be in a category higher. his stats don't tell the whole story, but he's had a hand in 3 big wins this season, including our last 2 which were daggers through the heart

SteelKnight
01-28-2011, 05:26 PM
I would agree Woodley has really stepped it up in the playoffs, but when is the last time Woodley has taken a game over? I think for you to be considered an elite player you have to be the kind of player who can take it over at any given moment. I can think of at least 3-4 games this year that Troy has basically won him self....meaning we would have lost if it weren't for Troy. You cold easily say the same about Harrison and Ben.

Troy, Harrison, and Ben are all definitely in the class. As much as I love Woodley I don't put him in that elite group.

Woodley recovered that fumble in the Baltimore game. he has been prominent in many games and I feel he should have a good day against Bulaga.

PhantomJB93
01-28-2011, 08:28 PM

Honestly? I think he just did that because he felt it was too unfair to rank 3 of the top 4 guys Steelers, he just needed to make the Pack fans happy and lie so they felt happy :chuckle:

wootawnee
01-29-2011, 12:05 AM
Pottsie 26 and Clark 34?......Thats too funny......

pete74
01-29-2011, 05:17 AM
i think its very accurate. the only thing i would change is bumping Adams up a bracket. of course everyone here is going to think all our players deserve to be higher but every fan feels the same way about there players.

TRH
01-29-2011, 05:24 AM
Some media outlets have named Matthews defensive player of the year and the perception is Troy currrently is nowhere near 100% healthy based on his play the last 2 weeks. This is stated in the explanation for Troy's ranking

Polamalu's role in this great defense has diminished in the playoffs and he hasn't been near the line of scrimmage as much as usual. That makes me think he just hasn't been 100 percent healthy.

The ranking as it applies to players at this moment is not indefensible

Absolutely true. "Half the battle" of getting "player of the year is the huge media push you get obtaining the trophy. Probably well more than half.
And they're really pushing Mathews to get this award.
Hell, honestly, Harrison should be in the running for this. He's been a MONSTER out there, completely disrupting offenses, even when there's not a "stat" involved. I can't think of anyone on defense who is such a dominant figure out there. Talk about the term "mvp". I can't imagine where we'd be without him. How many times are our other players sacks and tackles really attributed to the presence of James.
The media will do anything to try and help someone who's not a Steeler win this thing.

steelers33
01-29-2011, 10:05 AM
I somewhat agree with Woodley's ranking, I mean who is he going to replace in the Top 5. Matthews played better than Woodley did this season, while I do think Woodley can get there because of his athletic potential.