PDA

View Full Version : Grimm gets his guy.....

DIESELMAN
05-01-2006, 12:23 AM
Pittsburgh added Hofstra super sleeper Willie Colon, a favorite of offensive line coach Russ Grimm, and as predicted in Wednesday night's draft chat with Adam Caplan, Colon became a Steeler in the fourth round.
Willie Colon School: Hofstra Pos: G

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/31/315538.jpg

Ht: 6-3 Wt: 320 40: 5.26 Year: 5Sr

Bio: Three-year starter at offensive tackle named as both an All-Conference and All-American performer after his senior campaign.

Pos: Wide-bodied blocker who plays with excellent fundamentals. Gets leverage on opponents, stays square and anchors at the point of attack. Effectively uses angles and positioning to seal blocks. Fights hard throughout the action and jolts opponents with good hand punch. Nasty, and gets movement from run blocks.

Neg: Not effective far off the line of scrimmage or in motion. Lacks top height and better off inside at guard.

Analysis: A well-built lineman who has consistently improved, Colon performed well the past two seasons. A likely late-round choice, he could eventually develop into a starter at the next level.
By: Steel City Insider

Date: Apr 30, 2006

SteelShooter
05-01-2006, 12:41 AM
I like him! :thmbup:

BlitzburghRockCity
05-01-2006, 01:06 AM
If Russ likes him, then its all good. I trust his judgement about OL prospects 100%

Midnightwriter07
05-01-2006, 03:41 AM
sounds like Russ hand picked him and is who he wanted so with what we have already as starters and with Essex and Kemo and Okobi ... looks like we have a back up for a few years and then starter.

clevestinks
05-01-2006, 06:07 AM
Finally something concrete that we know Grimm has done! Not trying to knock him but other than the Oline what does a ASST HC do?

Suitanim
05-01-2006, 09:59 AM
Grimm was the guy who targetted Essex last year...the Steelers had him very highly ranked, and nobody else did.

Haiku_Dirtt
05-01-2006, 06:26 PM
Yeah. There seems to be a method to the madness of the last few days. He must be part of a plan. He's not very good in motion but if I recall that is one of the strenghts of the kid from Utah Kemoeatu - mowing players over on the run.

Suitanim
05-01-2006, 06:40 PM
Road Graders at Guard will always have a place on the Pittsburgh Steelers.

nwksteeler
05-01-2006, 06:57 PM
I like the fact that we don't always chase the big names and just select guys that quietly develop into stars.

BCEDGE
05-01-2006, 09:36 PM
I like the fact that we don't always chase the big names and just select guys that quietly develop into stars.

Wouldn't you think some teams would try and emulate what we do? Its amazing people around the league are surprised every year when we have very solid, unsexy but productive drafts.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-01-2006, 10:31 PM
Finally something concrete that we know Grimm has done! Not trying to knock him but other than the Oline what does a ASST HC do?

From the way I understand it.. Russ is involved with everything from helping the scouts find talented OL prospects...to having input in the game plan every week. Basically if, God forbid, anything we're to keep BC off the sidelines on gameday; Russ could step in and not miss a beat.