PDA

View Full Version : 7-2?

SteelersWyo
05-01-2006, 04:03 AM
Seven offensive players to only two defensive? Seems a little odd for the Steelers. Is this a youth movement on offense to go with Ben and Heath? If it works you could see an offense that would dominate the division for years, but at what expense to the D?

clevestinks
05-01-2006, 04:58 AM
I`m sure next year it will be 7-2 defense. I trust thier philosphy, until it doesnt work!

SteelerFanInCA
05-01-2006, 12:27 PM
Gotta agree with Cleve. The D will get taken care of in next year's draft. The last 4 years the FO has been right on when it comes to draft day.

HburgXL06
05-01-2006, 01:08 PM
Our D seems pretty solid already. Between players like Troy, Deshea, Joey, and James we are pretty strong on D and we added a new safety to replace Hope. We needed a #2 receiver, a punt returner, and some runnin game depth, we covered that. It'll be all good. Peace.

BuFu

RoethlisBURGHer
05-01-2006, 01:09 PM
Our D isn't in that bad of shape right now that we needed to draft a ton of defensive players.

We have a great core of Linebackers right now in Porter,Farrior,Foote and Haggans.

We basicly have our linebackers of the future in Harrison,Kreidwaldt,Frazier, and Wallace.Plus we just signed UDA Mike Kudla of Ohio State who can play DE or LB in our system.

At DB we have the best saftey in the league Troy Polamalu,and he'll probally finish his career with the Steelers.Hopefully we can get Ike Taylor inked long term by the end of TC.Then we have McFadden who will end up starting at CB if not this year,next year.Anthony Smith will probally start at FS next year and be a force to be reckoned with.Plus we still have Iwuoma and Coke.We also have Townsend who is a very good CB and will provide veteran leadership when he is no longer starting.

On the DL we have Keisel and Smith on the edges with Hampton taking up at least two blockers at nose tackle.Once again we just signed Mike Kudla who can play end or linebacker in our system.We have Hoke at NT behind Hampton.

So as you can see,we are pretty set on the defensive side of the ball for now and probally years to come.When it comes time to fill holes and needs,we'll draft for that then.This year,we didn't really need two.Our two biggest holes were replacing Randle El and Chris Hope,and we did that in the draft.

Prosdo
05-01-2006, 02:00 PM
I agree our defense is solid right now. We signed a good bit of our guys that we needed to back. I think we had more needs to address on offense.

slashsteel
05-01-2006, 02:01 PM
Kudla has what like a 4.9 40 ? ? Looks pretty slow for a LB and too small for a DE.

BigDude66687
05-01-2006, 02:05 PM
Harris is gonna be a force, he was more dominate in college than wilfok, look at wilfork has done for the pats. DL is set, we really need to resign Taylor to a big deal, he's young and upcoming unlike the last time we signed cbs' to big deals (Scott and Washington) who were both older, Taylor is 25 i think, sign him for a 5 year extension, and we'll be in the playoffs at least for 5 more years

clevestinks
05-01-2006, 02:58 PM
Gotta agree with Cleve. The D will get taken care of in next year's draft. The last 4 years the FO has been right on when it comes to draft day.
Thanks that doesnt happen often! LOL

Suitanim
05-01-2006, 05:00 PM
Kudla ran a 4.7 at the combine, and Kamerion Wimbley ran a 4.61. So he's a little less than a 10th of a second slower than the Browns first round hopes and dreams for an OLB, and that's not football speed.

As for the offensive picks, every now and then, even the most defensive of teams need to load up a little on offense.

MasterOfPuppets
05-01-2006, 05:06 PM
Kudla ran a 4.7 at the combine, and Kamerion Wimbley ran a 4.61. So he's a little less than a 10th of a second slower than the Browns first round hopes and dreams for an OLB, and that's not football speed.

As for the offensive picks, every now and then, even the most defensive of teams need to load up a little on offense.
one only needs to look at the team stats from last year to see the areas that needed tending too. the passing game was the weakest link,and they addressed it quite nicely.

tony hipchest
05-01-2006, 05:08 PM

thank you. just think, if we still had kordell and maddox as our starters, how excited pittsburgh would be about o. jacobs as their potential "future". and the hope of him being a hidden gem like brady. with ben hes just our back up.

a good value pick with either scenario.

Haiku_Dirtt
05-01-2006, 06:02 PM
I like our defense. I'm a little worried about Casey going down. I hope he stayed well-conditioned in the off season.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-01-2006, 06:04 PM
We've been loading up on defensive talent for quite awhile now, especially in the secondary...this year we needed to address the RB's, WR's, and OL depth. All ways to make sure Ben gets all the weapons and help he needs to be successful for us. Our defense remains largely intact from last year save for Chris Hope, and we picked up Ryan Clark and some help in the draft for that. Between our draft, FA, and UDFA's we signed today, we'll be more than good to go with quality players.

clevestinks
05-01-2006, 06:33 PM
Ben lost some of his favorite targets in Plax and El, now Heath Miller, Holmes, Wilson and Morgan who Ben seem to go to the more the season went on, and the MVP XL Hines Ward. How can you not be pumped. Ben is probably friggin smiling from ear to ear

BlitzburghRockCity
05-01-2006, 09:34 PM
I like our defense. I'm a little worried about Casey going down. I hope he stayed well-conditioned in the off season.

When Casey was injured for alittle last season, Chris Hoke filled in great. He's tough, stoudt run defender and occupies the center/guard as well any reserve DL we have and probably as well as any reserve DL in the league. I dont want Casey to go down at all, the guys a pro bowler and the anchor of the DL...but if he does, we have someone to step in and fill the gap nicely till he returns

Steel Pit
05-02-2006, 04:07 AM
When Casey was injured for alittle last season, Chris Hoke filled in great. He's tough, stoudt run defender and occupies the center/guard as well any reserve DL we have and probably as well as any reserve DL in the league. I dont want Casey to go down at all, the guys a pro bowler and the anchor of the DL...but if he does, we have someone to step in and fill the gap nicely till he returns

Chris Hoke took over and did do a great job. He's more explosive than Hampton. It seemed as though Hoke was always blowing up plays in the offensive backfield which is amazing when you consider that he gets very little playing time. I sometimes wondered why he wasn't the starting nose tackle.