PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Notebook: Pouncey has 50-50 chance to play

mesaSteeler
01-29-2011, 12:50 AM
Steelers Notebook: Pouncey has 50-50 chance to play
Saturday, January 29, 2011
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11029/1121551-66.stm

Maurkice Pouncey showed up at the Steelers facility Friday wearing a protective boot on his injured left ankle, not the hard cast he had been wearing the past couple days.

Also, because the Steelers and Green Bay Packers were required to submit an official injury report for the first time for Super Bowl XLV, Pouncey was listed as questionable -- meaning he has a 50-50 chance to play.

The Steelers are holding out hope the rookie center can play against the Packers, even though the Post-Gazette reported Wednesday that Pouncey has a broken bone in his left ankle to accompany the high-ankle sprain he sustained in the AFC championship game.

Pouncey, defensive end Aaron Smith (triceps tendon) and safety Will Allen (sprained knee) were listed as questionable. Smith, who has not played since Week 6, has not participated in a practice since his injury and is not expected to play in the Super Bowl.

Allen, though, said he intends to play, no matter what.

"I'm playing," Allen said, emphatically. "No way I'll miss my first Super Bowl.

More injury updates

As usual, Pro Bowl safety Troy Polamalu practiced Friday for the first time this week. So did cornerback Bryant McFadden (abdominal/groin) and rookie wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders (sprained toe). They are listed as probable.

Left tackle Jonathan Scott (ribs) did not practice again, though he is listed as probable.

Bunch o' blarney?

The government of Ireland wants to bring an NFL game to the county next season, and the Steelers would seem to be a natural because their owner, Dan Rooney, is the U.S. ambassador to Ireland.

But talk of the game is coming from Ireland, not the Steelers.

The game would be against the Arizona Cardinals and played in the same stadium where the Steelers and Chicago Bears played a preseason game in 1997. It would be in addition to the regular-season game the NFL plays annually in Wembley Stadium in London.

Don't book your travel plans yet.

Merchant
01-29-2011, 01:02 AM
Questionable's better than Doubtful I guess. Surprised to hear that he's 50/50

El Nino
01-29-2011, 01:33 AM
good news. i'll take 50-50 considering how grim the outlook was.

he's still young, so he may heal from this faster than say, someone who's in their 10th year

steelers33
01-29-2011, 01:58 AM
Well Ben was able to play with a broken foot for some time this season, but the two circumstances are different. Pouncey, because of his position, puts a lot more pressure on his ankle than Ben would. My experience from playing offensive line ( played center and right guard) you have to push off your feet so much to the point where if he is playing with a broken bone I would say it would be very very difficult to nearly impossible.

43Hitman
01-29-2011, 02:00 AM
I'm betting its more about the sprained ligaments than it is about the broken bone.

Riddle_Of_Steel
01-29-2011, 02:01 AM
My wager?

Number 53 is gonna be our starting Center in SB XLV.....who wants some? Gentleman's agreement? We are playing a little bit of smoke and mirrors to try and negate Raji a little bit (keeping him on his toes who he has to prepare to face).

Riddle_Of_Steel
01-29-2011, 02:03 AM
Well Ben was able to play with a broken foot for some time this season, but the two circumstances are different. Pouncey, because of his position, puts a lot more pressure on his ankle than Ben would. My experience from playing offensive line ( played center and right guard) you have to push off your feet so much to the point where if he is playing with a broken bone I would say it would be very very difficult to nearly impossible.

^^^^This is the only thing that worries me too. I played Center in midget football until Junior Varsity, and a Center needs to be able to pivot and put alot of weight on the ankles. If you are blocking correctly, you should be on the balls of your feet and they should be pumping the whole time-- difficult to do when you are wearing a protective boot/splint that specifically immobilizes the affected area.

But I still stand by my above bet......Pouncey will NOT miss SB XLV for anything short of being deceased.

El Nino
01-29-2011, 02:06 AM
I'm betting its more about the sprained ligaments than it is about the broken bone.

yep. ligaments do take longer to heal than bones do because they aren't vascularized (meaning less blood flow to em and slower healing process)

if the broken bone is a minor fracture (which im guessing it is because it needed a 2nd review to catch it), it could realistically be good as new in 2 weeks. a ligament tear though, that's the question.

as i mentioned before though, pouncey has youth on his side. someone his age is much more likely to heal from something like this faster than a 30+ year old player

SoCalFan
01-29-2011, 03:20 AM
I wouldnt say 50/50,more like 80/20,the 80 leaning towards no.I dont want him to play just for the sake of playing.His backup is better at 100% than Pouncy when injured!Lets just win the game.Hes young and WILL have another chance at playing in a super bowl!

pancake
01-29-2011, 04:19 AM
I wouldnt say 50/50,more like 80/20,the 80 leaning towards no.I dont want him to play just for the sake of playing.His backup is better at 100% than Pouncy when injured!Lets just win the game.Hes young and WILL have another chance at playing in a super bowl!

I think its more like 95/5 that he doesn't... :sadpace:

theplatypus
01-29-2011, 05:55 AM
Jack Youngblood played in the SB with a broken leg and Pouncey will as well.

pete74
01-29-2011, 06:03 AM
i really hope he can play and make the entire game. without him Raji will be in Ben's face all game

caseyviator
01-29-2011, 11:19 AM
ive had the injury without the broken bone and i was a qb i played with it. i was hardly mobile and i got sacked 3 times on plays i normally would have just side steped out of it. i was only sack 3 other times the whole year., i was a good roll out qb. so id say he will not play at center cause he has to push so hard off his feet..i will say this though if they could have numbed it i think i would have done so much better but back then they refused to do that at my high school even though i begged for it.

in the nfl they do that and i think thats his only chance of playing is if he cant feel it.

honestly its the absolute most annoying painfull injury i ever had. i played 5 games with a ripped in half mcl and it hurt alot less.

steelerohio
01-29-2011, 11:30 AM
Well, the team is holding out hope hope that he plays, and until they say he can't, I will hold out hope too. *crosses fingers*