PDA

View Full Version : Barely Lifting a Finger to Get Super Bowl Rings

Atlanta Dan
01-29-2011, 01:39 PM
Not every player with multiple Super Bowl rings is a superstar like Ben Roethlisberger or Tom Brady. If the Pittsburgh Steelers win Super Bowl XLV, quarterback Charlie Batch will receive his third Super Bowl ring. Batch did his part this season, helping win two games during Roethlisberger’s suspension, but three Super Bowl rings would be hefty compensation for 184 passes scattered across nine years.

Batch is not the first N.F.L. player to receive a lot of hardware for a little bit of work. Here is a far-from-complete list of individuals who earned at least two Super Bowl rings while contributing little to the winning cause. Some were starters, others were hangers-on and a few were good for a few seasons. All shared one great gift: a knack for being in the right place at the right time, and staying there....

Three Rings: Dynasty Darlings

ROY GERELA With nine Hall of Famers in the starting lineup, the 1970s Steelers did not have to worry about their kicking game. Gerela missed more than half of his attempts in 1978, but the Steelers went 14-2 and won the Super Bowl. Gerela converted two of six field-goal attempts in his three Super Bowl appearances; at least the bar for Shaun Suisham is not set high. :chuckle: -

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/01/29/barely-lifting-a-finger-to-get-super-bowl-rings/?ref=football

Gerela was awful in his later years - I cannot recall him ever making a crucial kick in the playoffs; his greatest contribution in Super Bowls was being taunted by Cliff Harris in Super Bowl X, which resulted in Lambert tossing Harris to the ground and firing up the team - Noll finally cut him after 1978

SoCalFan
01-29-2011, 01:42 PM
All I gotta say is im glad he was there when we needed him!!!

El Nino
01-29-2011, 01:51 PM
he still has a big responsibility, he has to be the man if ben goes down. even if he hasn't played in many games you can bet your ass he's putting in work in practice. he earned those rings. i find the article to be a little disrespectful to charlie imo.

Atlanta Dan
01-29-2011, 01:58 PM
he still has a big responsibility, he has to be the man if ben goes down. even if he hasn't played in many games you can bet your ass he's putting in work in practice. he earned those rings. i find the article to be a little disrespectful to charlie imo.

Tomlin seems to share the disrespect - for reasons unclear to me, Tomlin never gave Batch a chance to compete for the starting QB job for the first 4 games in camp and, after Batch stepped up following Dixon's injury, then made Batch the #3 QB and reinstated Leftwich as the back-up when Ben returned:noidea:

AndyWitmyer
01-29-2011, 02:16 PM
Tomlin seems to share the disrespect - for reasons unclear to me, Tomlin never gave Batch a chance to compete for the starting QB job for the first 4 games in camp and, after Batch stepped up following Dixon's injury, then made Batch the #3 QB and reinstated Leftwich as the back-up when Ben returned:noidea:

You do realize that Batch's fate was all but decided before the season started, but a series of improbable events allowed Batch to not only keep a spot on the roster, but survive a forced retirement. Batch really proved his worth and IMO, it's not fair that he wasn't given a fair shake given his long-tenured, veteran status on the team. But since when has the NFL ever been fair? Farve, Warner, and others aside, this is a young man's league.

That having been said, Batch has been helpful to the team on levels that transcend actual play and IMO deserves any ring he gets.

plenewken
01-29-2011, 02:22 PM
I have nothing against Batch and don't mean to disrespect him but I agree with the author.

Batch shouldn't have a ring, much less 2 or 3. Players making the roster who don't play in the Superbowl whatever the reason is should receive a medal but SB rings should be reserved to the players who actually played in the SB and won it.

I wouldn't give rings to the members of the staff either. Coaches of athletes winning a gold medal at the Olympics don't get a gold medal.

This is my opinion. Fire back.

ricardisimo
01-29-2011, 02:32 PM
Having certain people on the roster gives the team its comfort zone, and allows the team to formulate its plans and move forward, even if the players in question never even suit up (which Batch most certainly did do). They did enough and showed enough to earn a roster spot, which makes them a member of the team. Team members deserve a ring.

sacredgrooves
01-29-2011, 02:38 PM
Batch with three rings should make him a first ballot hof'er right? :)

steelerchad
01-29-2011, 02:41 PM
I have nothing against Batch and don't mean to disrespect him but I agree with the author.

Batch shouldn't have a ring, much less 2 or 3. Players making the roster who don't play in the Superbowl whatever the reason is should receive a medal but SB rings should be reserved to the players who actually played in the SB and won it.

I wouldn't give rings to the members of the staff either. Coaches of athletes winning a gold medal at the Olympics don't get a gold medal.

Wrong. Olympics are mostly individual sports. I'm pretty sure a coach of a team sport like hockey gets a medal. Football is the ultimate team sport. Your coaching arguement aside, absolutely backups should get a Super Bowl ring. Pouncey shouldn't get a ring if he doesn't play? Batch won 2 games this year. He shouldn't get a ring? Without 1 of those wins, we likely aren't in this spot. We would have been a wildcard and on the road throughout the playoffs.

SH-Rock
01-29-2011, 02:50 PM
Batch saved our season and Batch is always there giving pointers to Ben.

ricardisimo
01-29-2011, 02:53 PM
Does anyone know if practice squad members get a ring? Do long-term fans get rings? Cuz I've been waving my towel since '78 or '79 at the latest.
:tt03:

El Nino
01-29-2011, 03:02 PM
Does anyone know if practice squad members get a ring? Do long-term fans get rings? Cuz I've been waving my towel since '78 or '79 at the latest.
:tt03:

the coaching staff and active roster of 53 are mandatory

the nfl pays for up to 150 of their rings, and other than the coaching staff/active 53 players, it's up to the owners discrection.

in most cases, practice squad and other staffers/trainers get their rings also. Sometimes even players traded in midseason. Definitely IR'ed players.

longtime fans.... unfortunately not though :P

think santonio would take it as a slap in the face if he got a steelers sb ring in the mail? lol

fer522
01-29-2011, 03:13 PM
so if he wins one more he's gonna have as many as tom Gaydy
that's awesome :applaudit: HOF here he comes :chuckle:

LukesDad88
01-29-2011, 03:14 PM
Backups absolutely deserve and earn their rings. I've long been of the opinion that the backups are as integral or even more integral to a team's success. Not only do they need to be prepared to step in at any moment and contribute, but they are the ones that push the starters during practice and camps. They are the measuing stick, and if your measuring stick is a little short, so is your team. Why do teas that load up on "talent" in starters like the Redskins wind up doing so miserably? No backup. Not just in the sense of depth, but also in improving the talent on the field. Why do so many talented draft picks from college fail in the NFL? Because they go to lousy teams, with bad personnel. There are no talented mentors or friends. Nobody to help develop them. As a result, a team like the Bengals or the Lions or the Bills wind up at the bottom year after year, while the same three teams in the AFC stay at the top of the pecking order.

Batch earns his ring by making those starters around him and across from him during practice become better. You don't think he's a big part of the reason for the development of the rookie wide receivers? I guarantee you they've probably worked more with him than with Ben.

plenewken
01-29-2011, 03:21 PM
Wrong. Olympics are mostly individual sports. I'm pretty sure a coach of a team sport like hockey gets a medal. Football is the ultimate team sport. Your coaching arguement aside, absolutely backups should get a Super Bowl ring. Pouncey shouldn't get a ring if he doesn't play? Batch won 2 games this year. He shouldn't get a ring? Without 1 of those wins, we likely aren't in this spot. We would have been a wildcard and on the road throughout the playoffs.

What are you talking about? Olympics have all kind of sports, individual and collective. Team sports like soccer, volleyball, handball, basketball, baseball, hockey, field hockey, plus lots of sports where more than one athlete competes at a time like track and field relays, swimming relays, cross country skiing relays, rowing, plus team competitions in individual sports like gymnastics, fencing, equestrian etc....

Coaches don't get olympic medals. They're for athletes exclusively. Ever seen a coach on a podium? <sigh>

Like I said, I know not everyone will agree but that's my position. Ben's rings mean something. Batch's rings mean absolutely nothing.
Yeah, it's a shame for Pouncey and Smith if they cannot play but nothing prevents Tomlin from putting them on the field for 1 snap especially if we have a big lead. Lots of coaches would do it to reward their players.

Winner trophies should be for the winners, not for the ones who could have been winners.

steelerchad
01-29-2011, 03:48 PM
What are you talking about? Olympics have all kind of sports, individual and collective. Team sports like soccer, volleyball, handball, basketball, baseball, hockey, field hockey, plus lots of sports where more than one athlete competes at a time like track and field relays, swimming relays, cross country skiing relays, rowing, plus team competitions in individual sports like gymnastics, fencing, equestrian etc....

Coaches don't get olympic medals. They're for athletes exclusively. Ever seen a coach on a podium? <sigh>

Like I said, I know not everyone will agree but that's my position. Ben's rings mean something. Batch's rings mean absolutely nothing.
Yeah, it's a shame for Pouncey and Smith if they cannot play but nothing prevents Tomlin from putting them on the field for 1 snap especially if we have a big lead. Lots of coaches would do it to reward their players.

Winner trophies should be for the winners, not for the ones who could have been winners.

So your arguement is if Tomlin puts Pouncey on the field for one meaningless snap while we're kneeling out the clock he then deserves a ring, otherwise he doesn't. How does that make a bit of sense? That play would mean less than almost any play or block Pouncey has made all year. That shouldn't determine whether he gets a ring. If were in a close game, sorry no ring, if we blow them out and you can make 1 snap then congrats, you get your ring. WTF.

Nothing would prevent Tomlin from putting Smith or Pouncey except for the fact that they won't even be in uniform. You do know there is a limit to the number of players who dress, right? That's why guys are declared active or inactive.
Tomlins also not going to waste a player by dressing or making Pouncey active if he can't legitimately contribute.

US Olympic coaches do now get medals from the US olympic committee although they do not take the podium.

plenewken
01-29-2011, 04:06 PM
So your arguement is if Tomlin puts Pouncey on the field for one meaningless snap while we're kneeling out the clock he then deserves a ring, otherwise he doesn't. How does that make a bit of sense? That play would mean less than almost any play or block Pouncey has made all year. That shouldn't determine whether he gets a ring. If were in a close game, sorry no ring, if we blow them out and you can make 1 snap then congrats, you get your ring. WTF.

Nothing would prevent Tomlin from putting Smith or Pouncey except for the fact that they won't even be in uniform. You do know there is a limit to the number of players who dress, right? That's why guys are declared active or inactive.
Tomlins also not going to waste a player by dressing or making Pouncey active if he can't legitimately contribute.

US Olympic coaches do now get medals from the US olympic committee although they do not take the podium.

It's not a matter of deserving, it's a matter of principle, IMO. You don't play, you don't win. As sad as it is, that's what sports is all about. The history is full of unfortunate circumstances where super favorites couldn't compete or ended up losing

If a SB ring is the equivalent of a gold medal, then only the active players who participated in the victory should get it. If it's more of a memorabilia, then fine, give it to everyone, but don't make a big deal out of it.

FanSince72
01-29-2011, 04:10 PM
All I gotta say is im glad he was there when we needed him!!!

Absolutely!

That's why it's called a TEAM.

harrison'samonster
01-29-2011, 04:17 PM
I think every part of the team should get a ring, sorry but apparently only Seattle fans would be considered part of the team.

Every player but Duce Staley should get a ring lol. He knows why.

Danny136200
01-29-2011, 04:24 PM

Yeah, I do not think that would be fair to all the players on your roster. The game is a team effort and the backup's backup will be ready for whenever called for. I mean, they all worked their butts off to get a roster spot and stay there.

steeltheone
01-29-2011, 05:37 PM

Thats just silly...Batch deserves the ring as much as any other Steeler.....I can just see it now guys heading on the field with canes, casts and crutches to get a snap...again just silly.