PDA

View Full Version : pat kirwans take on steelers draft

tony hipchest
05-01-2006, 11:54 AM
i was listenning to them on sirius and while they praised the steelers on day one, where they really made their hay was on the 2nd day. they pretty much called every day 2 pick a steal and a great pick. specifically mentinned was o. jacobs who couldve used the extra year in college and made the mistake of coming out early. orien harris (kwames brother who was a 1st rounder last year.) marvin philip who was the mvp of his team, and c. humes who very much runs like duce staley.

learning more about them its easy to see where all these players can fill a role and id have to say all have a pretty good shot of making the team. while all probably wont, those who dont will probably stick on the practice squad.

coachspeak33
05-01-2006, 11:59 AM
I would sincerely doubt that Humes makes the roster.....

For the same reasons that the Steelers didnt draft a RB in rounds 1-6.... Cowher will not dress 5 RB's .... unless another one (besides Verron) can play special teams and Humes is a pretty thick kid so I doubt it....

Like his potential though... would love to see him stick to our practice squad...Herron got snapped up by Green Bay last year and I see the same thing happening here...

I definitely hope he sticks.

tony hipchest
05-01-2006, 12:03 PM
last year the steelers had

jerome
willie
duce
verron

and fb kreider.

steelers will go into the season with the same ammount of backs this year. exit jerome, enter cedric.

Prosdo
05-01-2006, 12:21 PM
I agree with Tony. Unless Humes really disappoints Cowher and Co or we pick up a good Vet RB I see him making it.

dSharp
05-01-2006, 12:57 PM
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/rb/cedrichumes.html

"Has excellent size...A powerful and bruising runner...Good athletic ability...Hits the hole fast and with authority...Breaks a lot of tackles and is a load to try and bring down...Good short yardage and goaline runner...Solid blocker...Decent receiver out of the backfield...Versatile...Hard worker & team player with good intangibles. "

Sounds like a Pittsburgh Steeler to me.

coachspeak33
05-01-2006, 02:22 PM
Let me re-phrase.... IF he makes the team he wont dress unless he plays special teams or one of the other four get hurt.... I love him as insurance but we saw all throughout the regular season last year that The Chin will not dress 5 RB. Hopefully he can play special teams.

coachspeak33
05-01-2006, 02:30 PM
That is also why I kept telling people there was no way the Steelers take Lendale White ....

And why I bet three different friends that the Steelers would not trade for Duckett
(won $150 so yesterday was great on many levels)

Big Bill wont dress 5 RB and it would cost them money towards the cap to cut any of our current backs (nor is there any evidence to show that the FO desires to move Duce, Willie, Verron, or Danny K)

I think the Steelers are out of the RB shopping business for at least a season or two.

Wouldn it be great if we hid Humes on the practice squad for a whole season a la Fast Willie

Suitanim
05-01-2006, 04:46 PM
There will be no need to dress all 5, since, just like last year, they'll rest whichever guy is the least ready to go.

If he doesn't make the team, and we sign him to the practice squad, he'll be picked up by another team pretty quickly.

I think he'll make the roster.

Midnightwriter07
05-01-2006, 05:16 PM
We tried to trade for Duckett and i dont think that was because we were going to be placing Parker, Duce, Haynes or Duckett on the pratice squad.

tony hipchest
05-01-2006, 05:20 PM
We tried to trade for Duckett and i dont think that was because we were going to be placing Parker, Duce, Haynes or Duckett on the pratice squad.atlanta wanted a 3rd next year for duckett. steelers offered their 5th from this year.

atlantas on crack or ludes or something. if s. alexander or e. james couldnt even get a 2nd, what in the hell are they thinking ANYONE would give up a 3rd? watch duckett just get cut and steelers pick him up without his $1.4 mil contract.

Haiku_Dirtt
05-01-2006, 05:20 PM
I would sincerely doubt that Humes makes the roster.....

For the same reasons that the Steelers didnt draft a RB in rounds 1-6.... Cowher will not dress 5 RB's .... unless another one (besides Verron) can play special teams and Humes is a pretty thick kid so I doubt it....

Like his potential though... would love to see him stick to our practice squad...Herron got snapped up by Green Bay last year and I see the same thing happening here...

I definitely hope he sticks.

I doubt it too but as a 7th rounder we had little too lose.

nwksteeler
05-01-2006, 05:49 PM
Our draft was excellent on all levels Humes will have a rough time sticking unless he shows incredible work ethic. There is always someone waiting in the wings.