PDA

View Full Version : Hampton shells out for Dallas trip

mesaSteeler
01-30-2011, 10:29 AM
Hampton shells out for Dallas trip
By: Mike Bires
Beaver County Times
http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sports_details/article/1501/2011/january/29/hampton-shells-out-for-dallas-trip.html
Saturday January 29, 2011 11:33 PM

PITTSBURGH — Casey Hampton tries to downplay the significance of playing a Super Bowl in Dallas. But he’s not fooling anybody.

“He’s fired up,” said Chris Hoke, who backs up Hampton at nose tackle for the Steelers. “Before the AFC \Championship Game, Casey told me that he really wanted to get back to the Super Bowl because this year, it’s in his home state, Texas. He was more possessed for that game than I’ve seen him in a long time.”

“It’ll be nice going back to the crib,” said Hampton.

Actually, Hampton’s “crib” isn’t in Dallas. He was born in Galveston, a city on the Gulf of Mexico. A few years ago, he moved to nearby Houston. His relatives and closest friends coming to the Super Bowl will have roughly a 240-mile drive to Dallas this week.

Hampton, a five-time Pro Bowler, is personally taking care of their Super Bowl arrangements. He’s renting a house for them in Dallas. He figures that beats paying for their airfare and hotel rooms.

And for at least 15 family members and friends, he’s purchased their tickets at $900 a pop.

“It’s going to be expensive for me,” he said. “So from that standpoint, it’s not going to be a good thing.”

Whatever Hampton ends up spending for his entourage’s Super Bowl stay, no one feels sorry for him. His base salary this season is $4 million.

Plus, Hampton and the rest of the Steelers have already pocketed $21,000 for winning the divisional-round playoff game against the Ravens and $38,000 for the AFC Championship Game against the Jets. If the Steelers beat the Packers in Super Bowl XLV, each player gets $83,000 more (the loser’s share is $42,000).

Hampton, an All-American defensive tackle at the University of Texas, said he never cheered for the Dallas Cowboys as a kid.

All his friends were caught up in the mystique of America’s Team. But not Hampton.

“I hated the Cowboys,” he said. :applaudit::applaudit::applaudit: