PDA

View Full Version : Steelers receivers use Lil Wayne as inspiration for 'Young Money Family'

mesaSteeler
01-30-2011, 01:08 PM
Steelers receivers use Lil Wayne as inspiration for 'Young Money Family'
11:37 AM
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2011/01/steelers-receivers-use-lil-wayne-as-inspiration-for-young-money-family/1
By Gary Mihoces, USA TODAY

PITTSBURGH -- In the early 1980s, the Washington Redskins had a group of wide receivers called the "Fun Bunch," with a sub-group called the "Smurfs." Later in that decade, the "Three Amigos" caught passes for the Denver Broncos. The current edition of the Pittsburgh Steelers has the "Young Money Family."

Second-year wide receiver Mike Wallace borrowed that name from the world of rap music. His "family" members are rookie wide receivers Emmanuel Sanders and Antonio Brown. They sometimes also call themselves the "Young Money Crew."

"Mike is like the leader of the group. He kind of made it up, and we just went along with it," says Sanders. "And it's really the name of Lil Wayne's rap group."

Rapper Lil Wayne, like Wallace, is a native of New Orleans.

"That's my dawg," says Wallace.

"Yeah, we got a lot of money. We're Young Money (too)."

Within the family, each of the three Steelers has his own nickname.

Wallace is "Fast Money." He is fast.

Sanders is "Easy Money." His first name starts with the letter E, and he's made key contributions as a rookie.

Brown is "Cash Money." Though he wasn't a prime target in the regular season, he's cashed in on opportunities in the playoffs and made some big catches.

The three refer to Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward, in his 13th season, as "Old Money." :toofunny::toofunny:

They call Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger "Large Money." ("Big Money" would work better for Big Ben. - mesa)

OX1947
01-30-2011, 01:33 PM
Inspiration from Lil Wayne? The guy has a few songs I can listen to, even have one song on my Ipod but even metaphorically speaking, not a good inspiration...

El Nino
01-30-2011, 01:53 PM
hopefully they don't get thrown in jail as much as lil wayne does

Merchant
01-30-2011, 02:45 PM
lol @ Hines being called Old Money

xli...
01-30-2011, 04:09 PM
whatever works I guess. As long as they keep catching balls its all good.

steeltheone
01-30-2011, 04:58 PM
They got a lot of money? Hines makes more than all 3 combined! lol

SteelKnight
01-30-2011, 05:23 PM
I like it. Cool. Print out the T-shirts already (after the Superbowl).

Whatever gets them motivated, bonding, excited...awesome.

I think the fact that they included Ben as one of the names is a good sign. They will want to come through for each other.

I, for one, like confidence and swagger so long as it can produce on the field. I don't like drama showboating like Holmes but mild smiles and hand gestures like Ward and Sanders is cool. I thought that was missing with Sweed. i felt he was trying to be so respectful he had no mojo or swagger...but i guess you have to catch before you can be confident.

I really hope we win the SB and a shirt comes out. I would get it right away.

SteelKnight
01-31-2011, 02:21 AM
I'm bumping this thread (in case it got lost) because it is so cool and i don't know why it is not getting more play. It would be cool if after a Sanders catch the crowd could yell "Easy, Easy" and after a Brown catch the fans could yell "Cash, cash".