PDA

View Full Version : Ben vs Rodgers in a dome

DFWSTEELERFAN
01-30-2011, 10:56 PM
Closer than you would think... Given the fact the Steelers have played more "big games", I think you would have to give ben the edge.

http://www.wiscosportstalk.com/2011/01/27/1934/

Career stats in a dome: (Both have 12 career starts)
Rodgers
69pct 8.9AVG 25TD 6INT 106.48
Ben
63pct 8.6AVG 19TD 10INT 107.8

Rodgers has been playing Detroit and Ben has been winning superbowls and playoff games (@Colts) (-:

---- Ok, I'll give Rodgers credit for the ATL win...

Dino 6 Rings
01-30-2011, 11:09 PM
interesting breakdown...that took some time to research...good job.

OX1947
01-30-2011, 11:10 PM
Mendenhall running in a dome. Its funny, its like Rashard doesn't exist. He ran through one of the best run defenses in the football, in the cold. Packers run D is 18th in the league, and forte was running on them like they weren't even there. Only reason why he didn't get 200 yards was because they were behind.

If Rashard is running down their throats at the beginning of the game, this game will be the Jets game all over again.

SteelKnight
01-30-2011, 11:43 PM
What about the win loss records of those games in the dome?

OX1947
01-31-2011, 12:05 AM
What about the win loss records of those games in the dome?

Packers the last 3 seasons with Aaron Rodgers as the starter are 5-4 in Dome's, That is counting the playoffs which was this year only against Atlanta. Now, technically, they are 5-5 in Dome's with Rodgers starting but I didn't count the loss to Detroit this year because Rodgers got knocked out early.

Big Ben is 6-3 in Dome's including playoffs. I counted the old Dallas Stadium as a Dome.

madtowndrunkard
01-31-2011, 12:14 AM
Closer than you would think... Given the fact the Steelers have played more "big games", I think you would have to give ben the edge.

Rodgers
Ben

Rodgers has been playing Detroit and Ben has been winning superbowls and playoff games (@Colts) (-:

Don't forget the Vikings. Half of those 12 starts for Rogers came against the Lions and Vikings. Two of the worst pass defense in the league over the past 3 years. The rest were against Falcons x 2, Rams, Cardinals, Saints, and Cowboys. There really aren't too many good defensive dome teams, so I would expect both QBs to have inflated stats in the domes. Rodgers is in a very pass friendly offense as well. I would expect Rogers to have a higher completion % and more TD's.

Typically in door stadiums inflate scoring. Faster fields probably mean more big plays. Most people would instantly assume this helps GB. But in reality the Steelers rely on the big play more then most teams. We do have some serious deep threats and Ben loves to go deep. Jennings is also a deep threat. so who knows.

GBpack2010
01-31-2011, 12:26 AM
The terrible towels swinging with the cheeseheads in the crowd will be a cool sight to see in this game. I hope we win bad but the matchup between these two teams cant get any better.

Merchant
01-31-2011, 12:42 AM
Ben is just as good, if not better, in a dome. People saw Green Bay have a great game in the Georgia Dome and assume that's how it is every time for them.

GBpack2010
01-31-2011, 12:44 AM
Ben is just as good, if not better, in a dome. People saw Green Bay have a great game in the Georgia Dome and assume that's how it is every time for them.

We had that shootout last year with the Cardinals in their dome and put up 45 points. We lost that game though. We have played better in domes as of late though.

ZoneBlitzer
01-31-2011, 12:50 AM

Rodgers
Ben

That's strange. I just saw this on the NFL Network and they had an different stats entirely especially on Ben's side of the ledger.

madtowndrunkard
01-31-2011, 12:59 AM
That's strange. I just saw this on the NFL Network and they had an different stats entirely especially on Ben's side of the ledger.

It's because this original poster put up completely false stats.

In 12 career dome games, including the playoffs, Rodgers has a 111.5 passer rating and a 68.6 completion percentage and has averaged 286.2 yards a game. He has also racked up 31 touchdowns (six rushing) to only six interceptions.

In contrast, Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has played in only nine indoor games and has totaled nine interceptions to go with 14 touchdown passes. His passer rating is respectable at 94.2, but his statistics just don't stand out as opposed to his body of work outdoors.

Read more: http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/feed/2011-01/packers/story/dome-sweet-dome-rodgers-is-great-indoors#ixzz1CadF4VDr

OX1947
01-31-2011, 01:08 AM

In 12 career dome games, including the playoffs, Rodgers has a 111.5 passer rating and a 68.6 completion percentage and has averaged 286.2 yards a game. He has also racked up 31 touchdowns (six rushing) to only six interceptions.

In contrast, Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has played in only nine indoor games and has totaled nine interceptions to go with 14 touchdown passes. His passer rating is respectable at 94.2, but his statistics just don't stand out as opposed to his body of work outdoors.

Read more: http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/feed/2011-01/packers/story/dome-sweet-dome-rodgers-is-great-indoors#ixzz1CadF4VDr

I counted 10 games and one of those he got knocked out in Detroit this year. Where did 12 come from?

madtowndrunkard
01-31-2011, 01:12 AM

Again I will point to the competition Rogers faced in those domes. 6 of those 12 games were against two of the worst pass defenses in the league. (Vikings and Lions) Add in games against Dallas, Arizona, and St. Louis. That is 9 of 12 games against some of the worst secondaries in the league. The only respectable team they faced in a dome was Atlanta.

I'm not sure who Ben has faced but off the top of my head I can think of the Colts more then once, Saints, and Dallas. I remember a couple games that Ben and our offense was not prepared for the noise. ( which is totally inexcusable) I don't expect a very loud texas stadium this sunday.

OX1947
01-31-2011, 01:14 AM
Again I will point to the competition Rogers faced in those domes. 6 of those 12 games were against two of the worst pass defenses in the league. (Vikings and Lions) Add in games against Dallas, Arizona, and St. Louis. That is 9 of 12 games against some of the worst secondaries in the league. The only respectable team they faced in a dome was Atlanta.

I'm not sure who Ben has faced but off the top of my head I can think of the Colts more then once, Saints, and Dallas. I remember a couple games that Ben and our offense was not prepared for the noise. ( which is totally inexcusable) I don't expect a very loud texas stadium this sunday.

Actually, Atlanta's secondary was pathetic this year. 22nd in the league to be exact.

madtowndrunkard
01-31-2011, 01:15 AM
I counted 10 games and one of those he got knocked out in Detroit this year. Where did 12 come from?

Detroit x 3
Minnesota x 3
Dallas x 1
Atlanta x 2
Arizona x 1
New Orleans x 1
St. Louis x 1

OX1947
01-31-2011, 01:29 AM
Detroit x 3
Minnesota x 3
Dallas x 1
Atlanta x 2
Arizona x 1
New Orleans x 1
St. Louis x 1

OH I forgot He played in 2007 in Dallas when Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaavre got hurt and totally blanked that UOP in AZ was a dome.

madtowndrunkard
01-31-2011, 01:42 AM
Actually, Atlanta's secondary was pathetic this year. 22nd in the league to be exact.

interesting... I don't know why I thought they were better then that?

The Vikings pass defense was solid this season...but the last two years they were in the bottom half. The Lions were dead last in 2009, 16th in 2010, and 27th in 2008.

Bottom line is I think two things really skew Rodgers dome stats.... #1 the competition he's faced is among the worst in the NFL. #2 he does run a pass happy offense

I don't think anyone is debating Rodgers ability as a QB. He's a great QB. But I don't think he's unstoppable like many are trying to make him out to be.

If we play our game defensively we'll be fine. We have to limit the big plays by Rodgers and Jennings and we don't turn the ball over I think we win. I expect Rodgers to have a 300 yard game by dinking and dunking. Dick Lebeau will do what he always does....he'll give the opponent 5-10 yards of cushion. We'll keep the YAC to a minimum. We'll do everything we can to prevent the big plays. We'll depend on our front 7 to create mistakes. Thats been our game plan ever since DL was our DC.

We faced a blazing fast offense last time against the Cardinals. We barely pulled that one out, but we did it.

I have a feeling that our experience might really help us in the 1st half of this game. I sort of expect the Packers to be a little tense and a little over amp-ed to start the game. If they are, this could really play into our hands. If we can start off with an early lead by a TD or two...this will allow our running game to become a factor. I fully expect Arians to air it out in the first half and test the Packers speed in the secondary.

El Nino
01-31-2011, 02:08 AM
artificial turf can work out in our favor, we have a lot of speed on both sides of the ball

SteelKnight
01-31-2011, 02:46 AM
artificial turf can work out in our favor, we have a lot of speed on both sides of the ball

Yeah. I was thinking the same thing. It will help Wallace, Troy, Harrison, Timmons, Sanders, and Mendenhall.

Ike is so solid and fast that maybe he would not have slipped indoors (on that Santonio play).

People forget that Troy didn't play in 09 so let's see how Rodgers does. He's good but he can get shut down later in games sometimes. You saw what the Bears and Eagles did to him. The Bears held him in check for 3 games. He could only score 14 points in that Championship game.

Steelthe#1dynasty
01-31-2011, 03:42 AM
We had that shootout last year with the Cardinals in their dome and put up 45 points. We lost that game though. We have played better in domes as of late though.

Cardinals D is also bottom of the barrel. What is your point? That is JV compared to our Varsity. I would consider your D Junior Varsity because your team is yet to win anything.. Most recent seasons..

plenewken
01-31-2011, 08:11 AM

Rodgers
Ben

Someone will have to explain to me how a lower completion %, less yds per completion, less TDs and more INTs can give Ben a higher QB rating. I don't get it.

Curtain_of_Steel
01-31-2011, 08:57 AM
Personally i think the QB's are a toss up. Especially they way they played last week.

Speed has to be in our favor on turf. This is the difference maker, if Ben can hit the long ball.

Oline needs to man up real quick.

However the Oline on GB's side isnt much better. the Bears feasted on on pressuring Rodgers. I think a 3-4. Big difference whn a QB is trying to get away from 2 crushing LB's

madtowndrunkard
01-31-2011, 09:18 AM
Personally i think the QB's are a toss up. Especially they way they played last week.

Speed has to be in our favor on turf. This is the difference maker, if Ben can hit the long ball.

Oline needs to man up real quick.

However the Oline on GB's side isnt much better. the Bears feasted on on pressuring Rodgers. I think a 3-4. Big difference whn a QB is trying to get away from 2 crushing LB's

I think it helps the Packers because their offense lives off the quick pass. They dink and dunk their way down the field. Of course they will hit you deep the second you start playing tight. Turf IMO helps the speedy ball carrier. If you get the WR the ball quickly he can make things happen. You can cut quicker and accelerate quicker on turf. Games on turf tend to go in the offenses favor. I think history proves this.

So what ever advantage the defense gets from turf, I think offensive players get that plus some.

We need Ben to throw an accurate ball. His accuracy against the Jets was down right horrible. Ben has to hit his WR's in stride. This is where the Packers excel. Rodgers will hit his WRs in stride with regularity. If Ben throws his long ball for completions the game is over. Wallace and Sanders should be able to get behind the Packers secondary. But if Ben cant hit them then it really doesn't matter.

I'm very worried about Gay. He could be in for a long night if our offense doesn't eat up clock and score points.

tony hipchest
01-31-2011, 10:40 AM
I'm very worried about Gay. He could be in for a long night if our offense doesn't eat up clock and score points. leroy butler says the packers can do some damage if they get james jones matched up on william gay all day.

it makes alot of sense. bill gay will have to have a big day.