PDA

View Full Version : Advice for Ben: Just shut up!

mesaSteeler
01-31-2011, 06:19 AM
Advice for Ben: Just shut up!
http://communityvoices.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/sports/bob-smiziks-blog/27269-advice-for-ben-just-shut-up
Monday, January 31, 2011 06:00 AM
Written by Bob Smizik

Ben Roethlisberger has been the recipient of the best public-relations advice money can buy in the largely successful effort to remake his image following the gigantic hit it took about 11 months ago.

So Roethlisberger, who won a media award as the most cooperative Steelers player, doesnít need my advice as he gets ready to handle the media hordes at the Super Bowl. These writers and broadcasters will want to look under every rock in his life. They'll want to psychoanalyze him in public and on a daily basis.

Theyíre only doing their jobs and the public that scorns them for asking tough questions would love to know the answers.

Itís about those answers that I have some free advice for Roethlisberger:

Donít say a word, Ben. Give them nothing.

And this from a guy who'd love to know what's under some of those rocks.

There is nothing to be gained for Roethlisberger by baring his soul. Iíve seen guys do it, although on less sensitive issues, at these events and it can not only make for a good story, it can actually help the person doing the opening up.

It doesnít matter. Again, Ben, just shut up.

Oh, answer the questions about the game and all of the silly stuff that will be thrown your way and do it with a smile. But when they want to talk about the past, you need to be Mark McGwire.

It didnít work for him but it will work for you. Youíve got a football game to play and a life to live. A public catharsis is not for you.

Roethlisberger will be the star of every media session he attends. He wonít have a table on the side. Heíll have a podium in the middle of the room. He wonít be one of 47 Steelers being interviewed. Heíll be one of one.

Paul Domowitch, an excellent pro football writer for the Philadelphia Daily News, set the scene in a column he wrote last week about what Roethlisberger will face.

``At every single one of those four sessions next week, including Tuesday's Media Day zoo at Cowboys Stadium, Roethlisberger is going to be asked about what happened last March in Milledgeville, Ga., when he was accused of sexually assaulting a 20-year-old college student in the bathroom of a bar.

``And he's going to be asked about the four-game suspension he served at the beginning of the season for violating the league's personal-conduct policy after the league did its own investigation of the incident after law enforcement declined to prosecute.

``It would be nice if Roethlisberger took the same approach as Michael Vick and opened up about the mistakes he's made and how he has changed and matured.íí

It would be nice for the media if Roethlisberger took the Vick approach but not for Roethlisberger. Vick was charged and convicted of a crime and had something for which he could repent.

As we all know, Roethlisberger was not charged. He was suspended by the NFL for poor behavior and has made his apologies for that. Thereís a world of difference between Vick and Roethlisberger.

Roethlisberger got a hint of whatís in store for him at the Super Bowl before and after the AFC title game. At a conference call before the game, he was asked about the past:

His answer: "Right now, it's not about living in the past for me. It's about living in the here and now.''

After the game, he was asked whether he looked back on the off-season. Before the question was finished, Roethlisberger provided an answer. ``I donít. Iíll stop you now. I donít. Not at all.íí

Like I said, Ben has the best advice money can buy and has learned well.

But just in case, here's some more free advice, Ben: Just shut up.

Curtain_of_Steel
01-31-2011, 09:59 AM
Roethlisberger will not open up and say any mistakes were made. Other than Wrong. Wrong place, wrong time. I needed to grow up, and I have. I need to put myself in better situations with better people, and I have.

Anything more or less effects the Tahoe thing further.

Vick KILLED dogs, Vick Abused dogs, Vick funded a gambling ring, Vick bet on the dig fights.
Big difference.

MDSteel15
01-31-2011, 10:28 AM
How about Stallworth KILLED a HUMAN BEING!!!!

vasteeler
01-31-2011, 10:43 AM

are you kidding???......thats no where near as bad as being accused of something :rolleyes:

scsteeler
01-31-2011, 11:28 AM
Roethlisberger will not open up and say any mistakes were made. Other than Wrong. Wrong place, wrong time. I needed to grow up, and I have. I need to put myself in better situations with better people, and I have.

Anything more or less effects the Tahoe thing further.

Vick KILLED dogs, Vick Abused dogs, Vick funded a gambling ring, Vick bet on the dig fights.
Big difference.

Just like Ben needs to be left alone Mike Vick has nothing to do with this it is a Goodell issue. Just like we want Ben's issue to die Let Vick's die it is the past he served his time and is now moving forward.

caseyviator
01-31-2011, 12:04 PM
Just like Ben needs to be left alone Mike Vick has nothing to do with this it is a Goodell issue. Just like we want Ben's issue to die Let Vick's die it is the past he served his time and is now moving forward.

crazy shit hes not even charged and is compared with vick a murderer and stallworth a drunken murderer..

is soooooo damm stupid its a joke

mcg24
01-31-2011, 12:07 PM

That's a non issue, killing someone is not nearly as bad as being alleged of a crime against a drunk crazy DTF sorority girl.

LukesDad88
01-31-2011, 12:25 PM
Good news! It looks like Jeremy Piven from Entourage has decided to pay for all of Ben's legal defense!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/31/jeremy-piven-slams-rapistberger-in-super-bowl/

From our friends at TMZ comes the kind of hard-hitting journalistic effort that will help set the agenda as Super Bowl week unfolds.

Or that simply will help stir things up a little.

Jeremy Piven, one of the stars of HBO’s Entourage, recently was captured on film complaining about this year’s participants in the NFL title game.

“Jets and Bears would have been the greatest Super Bowl,” Piven said. “Now its Rapistberger and the Cheeseheads. The Cheesy Rape Burger.”

Piven then noticed that someone had videotaped his words. “Noooooo,” he said.

Obviously, Piven was referring to the multiple sexual assault allegations previously made against Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. He never has been arrested or charged with rape. A civil suit alleging rape has been filed against Roethlisberger, but the suit remains unresolved.

pghfrank62
01-31-2011, 01:56 PM
Nice comment, I wonder who waste time watching his show anyway, Hes like Keith Oberman always had a comment nobody heard, until someone else reported it!!!

Merchant
01-31-2011, 02:02 PM
ahahaha.. who's watching Ben talking to the media right now? This is hilarious. They keep trying to get him to reflect

SacknificentStew56
02-01-2011, 01:56 AM
The media have to be one of the worse if not the worst job in the world. Talk about the Super Bowl and leave the situation that he was involved in alone. This man could take a bullet for the president, save a family from a burning house, and even rescue a kitten from a tree and the article will still mention what happened in Georgia. He's doing a good job during the interviews by not showing any attitude and not giving them what they want.

SteelKnight
02-01-2011, 02:06 AM

I agree with Vick's issue dying and Ben's issue dying.

Vick was not the first to fight dogs...just the first famous. It was something he grew up with. His exposure probably has saved many dogs and educated a lot of people that it is wrong and punishment can be severe. In a sense he has helped the situation. He goes around telling people in areas where it has been popular that it is wrong. it also sounds like he has changed his life for the better. Redemption is great.

Ben also seems to have changed for the better. I don't think it is just an act. Sure he was forced to change but he still did it. I do believe Ben is a good person. I also don't fully believe that girl. Just because she is a female she is considered to be telling the complete truth? Gimmie a break. It is true women are less violent but they can still lie. I'd like to see her pass a lie detector...then I'll believe it. Even so, she was drunk...but at least I would know she believes what she is saying.

Redemption for all who are sincere.

I love Ben's line about "That's a good reflection question"...so awesome.

SteelKnight
02-01-2011, 02:17 AM
The media have to be one of the worse if not the worst job in the world. Talk about the Super Bowl and leave the situation that he was involved in alone. This man could take a bullet for the president, save a family from a burning house, and even rescue a kitten from a tree and the article will still mention what happened in Georgia. He's doing a good job during the interviews by not showing any attitude and not giving them what they want.

I know. I also feel like Goodell leaked that info about the locker room not supporting Ben to get more ratings for the NFL. If people are talking about it and tuning in to these shows then that is more money for him. If more people watch the SB, Goodell wins...even if it is to root against that villain Roethlisberger. Who will win?...tune in and watch. More hype. Like WWE.

Subplots are good for Goodell and the teams weren't giving him enough. The best they could come up with was a picture argument? The best Steeler story was going for 7? He needed more. Twitter arguments actually help him. Goodell just loves business. He can pretend it is just the image but it is the money. If the tweets hurt business then he will be mad. If the tweets cause drama, Buzz, people reading and talking about the NFL, watching NFL Network shows to get the details and watching the games to see how it turns out...then Tweet On.

Goodell would have loved Vick and the Eagles vs the loud mouth Jets. That would have been his dream SB for super high drama ...not just for the game but the NFL network shows the whole 2 weeks.

scsteeler
02-01-2011, 04:21 AM
I know. I also feel like Goodell leaked that info about the locker room not supporting Ben to get more ratings for the NFL. If people are talking about it and tuning in to these shows then that is more money for him. If more people watch the SB, Goodell wins...even if it is to root against that villain Roethlisberger. Who will win?...tune in and watch. More hype. Like WWE.

Subplots are good for Goodell and the teams weren't giving him enough. The best they could come up with was a picture argument? The best Steeler story was going for 7? He needed more. Twitter arguments actually help him. Goodell just loves business. He can pretend it is just the image but it is the money. If the tweets hurt business then he will be mad. If the tweets cause drama, Buzz, people reading and talking about the NFL, watching NFL Network shows to get the details and watching the games to see how it turns out...then Tweet On.

Goodell would have loved Vick and the Eagles vs the loud mouth Jets. That would have been his dream SB for super high drama ...not just for the game but the NFL network shows the whole 2 weeks.

His Dream SB would have been the Patriots and any other team so he could hopefully Slob Tom Brady & Robert Kraft's Knob if they won it all. Goodell SUCKS AND WE KNOW WHO OR SHOULD I SAY WHOM!