PDA

View Full Version : Monday Madden: Retelling Ben's story least of Steelers' worries

mesaSteeler
01-31-2011, 07:28 AM
Monday Madden: Retelling Ben's story least of Steelers' worries
http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sports_details/article/1501/2011/january/30/monday-madden-retelling-bens-story-least-of-steelers-worries.html
By: Mark Madden
Beaver County Times

Sunday January 30, 2011 11:59 PM

In May 2008, I made a comment regarding circumstances surrounding the illness of now-deceased Sen. Ted Kennedy, pointing out the irony thereof. Read what I said. Thatís all I did.

Last week, venerated author Buzz Bissinger (ďFriday Night LightsĒ) blogged that no one would remember Ben Roethlisberger in 30 years and wished physical harm on the Steelers quarterback, hoping that Green Bay breaks his legs during the Super Bowlís first series.

I was removed from the radio by ESPN. Bissinger, well ... you canít be fired from being old, cranky and irrelevant.

You can make reckless statements if youíre a ďnoted author.Ē If youíre a ďshock jock,Ē not so much. Itís not whatís said, itís who says it.

America loves a comeback. But maybe not Benís. His ascension to another Super Bowl has re-stoked the fire of those criticizing, and thatís something heíll have to deal with all week in Dallas.

As for this coming Sunday, Roethlisberger is the least of the Steelersí worries. The injury to center Maurkice Pouncey is a concern, though Doug Legursky is decent on the first level. He just canít get to the second level like Pouncey.

The Achillesí heel for the Steelers may be the Achillesí tendon attached to Troy Polamalu. If you see Polamalu playing center field against Green Bay, see if you can still get a bet down on the Packers. The Steelers need Polamalu up on the line, playing the hybrid role, terrorizing quarterback Aaron Rodgers.

If he canít, the Steelers probably wonít win. The Packers are going to score.

The Steelers defense needs to counter that by making big plays and by getting takeaways. If Polamalu canít, that potential drops significantly.
Advertisement Click Here

The potential for Hines Ward to do anything has dropped significantly. Ward had just 59 catches on the regular season, his low since 2000 and down from 95 last campaign. Roethlisberger threw with his usual efficiency upon his return from suspension.

Ward just canít get open with the same frequency.

Maybe Ward will explode for an MVP-level performance at Dallas. Maybe heíll continue his disappearing act.

But one thing is certain: Ward will be the center of attention all week. Two years ago, the media traveled to Neverland in Wardís hyperbaric oxygen chamber. This year, itís retirement talk. Will he or wonít he?

He wonít. Ward loves attention and money, two commodities available to him in great quantity in the NFL and no place else. But by weighing the decision with great gravity and zero finality, Ward keeps the discussion going, beyond Sundayís game if he wants.

I canít stand Ward. But when he quits, Iíll miss him.

Tough to pick a winner. Green Bay seems a slightly more complete team on both sides of the ball.

But the Steelers know how to win this game. Roethlisberger knows how to win this game. 31-28, Steelers. Shaun Suisham makes the difference. Yikes.

Hereís an interesting side bet: Polamalu vs. Clay Matthews. Loser shaves his head.

Mark Madden hosts a radio show 3-6 p.m. weekdays on WXDX-FM (105.9).

FanSince72
01-31-2011, 08:52 AM
Shaun Suisham makes the difference. Yikes.

That's my biggest fear.

I just don't trust Suisham in a clutch situation.
(Thank God the game's in a dome at least)

Curtain_of_Steel
01-31-2011, 09:00 AM
I think you will see Sanders be the man along with Brown. GB can't cover 5 in a 4-3. Question is, can we block 5, lol

caseyviator
01-31-2011, 11:04 AM
what gets me is it such a womens society as technology increases the need for alpha stong males goes down and down...both of these girls were drunk off their asses and the latest one told friends she went there to try and get bens seed and have a kid with him.

this is the thing no one cares about the facts of he case.
ben looks like a mountain man not like gq brady.
think about this any woman can have any man put in jail for 24 hours just by aledging assult.
its a womans socirty when it comes to men against women with domestic violence and the woman always wins the first round then when the evidence comes in it usually shows the woman is not being totally truthful.

ben really did not do anything wronge accept bein nieve in the ways of the woman!!!!
she was looking for maney and fame then she could not go through with the lies and ben was not charged at all, no arrest nothin and why NO EVIDANCE THATS WHY/

but all the woman and metrosexual guys,he shes, ect,ect,ect.. hate him,as well as opposing fans .

everyone forgets there was no evidance yet he was still suspended...its the only time this has happen in the nfl...no arrest but was still suspended...
everybody hate a winner who doesnt fit the tradition mold..ben does not fit he mold and thats why people hate him/

i am so glad to see these 2 girls put in their place with no charges even bein put on ben..when you figure how trully easy it is for a woman to get a man arrested and they could not get ben arrested it just shows how there was zero evience in either case.

SteelCityMom
01-31-2011, 11:23 AM
what gets me is it such a womens society as technology increases the need for alpha stong males goes down and down...both of these girls were drunk off their asses and the latest one told friends she went there to try and get bens seed and have a kid with him.

this is the thing no one cares about the facts of he case.
ben looks like a mountain man not like gq brady.
think about this any woman can have any man put in jail for 24 hours just by aledging assult.
its a womans socirty when it comes to men against women with domestic violence and the woman always wins the first round then when the evidence comes in it usually shows the woman is not being totally truthful.

ben really did not do anything wronge accept bein nieve in the ways of the woman!!!!
she was looking for maney and fame then she could not go through with the lies and ben was not charged at all, no arrest nothin and why NO EVIDANCE THATS WHY/

but all the woman and metrosexual guys,he shes, ect,ect,ect.. hate him,as well as opposing fans .

everyone forgets there was no evidance yet he was still suspended...its the only time this has happen in the nfl...no arrest but was still suspended...
everybody hate a winner who doesnt fit the tradition mold..ben does not fit he mold and thats why people hate him/

i am so glad to see these 2 girls put in their place with no charges even bein put on ben..when you figure how trully easy it is for a woman to get a man arrested and they could not get ben arrested it just shows how there was zero evience in either case.

Setting aside the fact that this reads like you are drunk typing :chuckle:....ummm, thanks for putting us women down? :noidea:

You weren't there. I wasn't there. None of us know what happened and it's absolutely silly to pretend like you do. Just because people (women included of course) will sometimes lie to get their way, doesn't mean that rapes and abuse don't happen. And just because someone is rich and famous doesn't mean that they aren't capable of heinous acts.

It would serve you well to know that rape is an extremely difficult crime to prove, even with DNA evidence, and even without high priced lawyers involved. Just because they didn't have sufficient evidence to take it to trial, doesn't always mean nothing happened.

I'm not judging him, I'm not saying he did it and I'm not saying he deserved to be suspended with no charges (though he did put himself in this situation, whether he did something criminal or not).

Most of your post just smacks of ignorance is all.