PDA

View Full Version : Dorsett's hosting his hometown team

mesaSteeler
01-31-2011, 07:31 AM
Dorsett's hosting his hometown team
http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sports_details/article/1501/2011/january/31/dorsetts-hosting-his-hometown-team.html
By: Mike Bires
Beaver County Times

Monday January 31, 2011 12:02 AM

Tony Dorsett knows what it takes to be great.

After all, he’s the one and only football player ever to win a Heisman Trophy, an NCAA national championship, a Super Bowl and be inducted into the college and pro football Halls of Fame.

It only made sense that after the NFL chose Dallas as the site for Super Bowl XLV, Dorsett was asked to serve on the North Texas Super Bowl Host Committee.

“I’m sure you’ve heard the saying, ‘Everything is bigger in Texas.’ Well, after this Super Bowl, the sports world will soon know how big everything is done in Texas,” said Dorsett, the Hopewell Township native who spent 11 seasons with the Cowboys.

“There’s so much to do in Dallas … places to eat, places to shop, places to party. And, of course, we have the greatest sports venue in the world. Wait until you see Cowboys Stadium. So, Dallas is a great place to have a Super Bowl. And what makes it even more exciting for me is that my hometown team, the Pittsburgh Steelers, is coming down here to play. Having my hometown team here just adds to it.”

Dorsett, who led Pitt to the national championship in 1976, grew up cheering for the Steelers and dreamed of one day playing for them. But in the 1977 NFL Draft, the Cowboys traded up 22 spots and took Dorsett with the second pick.

Dorsett’s rookie season ended when he helped the Cowboys beat the Broncos in Super Bowl XII in the Louisiana Superdome.

“Going to New Orleans to play in the Super Bowl as a rookie was awesome,” Dorsett said. “Just one year earlier, I played on that same field when we won the national championship by beating Georgia.”
Advertisement Click Here

A year later, Dorsett was back in the Super Bowl again. But this time, he and the Cowboys lost 35-31 to the Steelers in a thriller at the Orange Bowl in Miami.

Obviously, Dorsett was hoping that the Cowboys would advance to this year’s Super Bowl. He’s disappointed about that. But at least his second favorite team is coming to town.

“When you’re a kid growing up in western Pennsylvania, you know steel and you know the Steelers,” said Dorsett, whose late father earned a living in J&L Steel in Aliquippa. “When I was a kid, I wished I would wear the black and gold.

“Fortunately for me, I ended up here in Dallas in silver and blue. The Steelers just happen to be my 1B team. The Cowboys are 1A.”

Dorsett’s role on the Host Committee is as chairman of the volunteer committee. He spearheaded the drive to secure 10,000 volunteers needed to make a Super Bowl run smoothly.

“I asked the Super Bowl host committee to give me something to do to help promote the game,” said Dorsett, who still lives in Dallas. “This was the chance of a lifetime to lead 10,000 volunteers.

“I am honored and proud to serve with them and show the rest of the world what North Texas is capable of doing.”