PDA

View Full Version : POLAMALU IS AP DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR!!!

Third Rail
01-31-2011, 07:15 PM
YYYYYEEEAAAHHHHH!!!!!:tt04::tt04::tt04::tt04::tt04 ::tt::tt03::tt02:

So happy about this. He totally deserves it. I was so convinced they were going to give it to Clay Matthews despite the fact that Polamalu is more impressive and is the soul of the Pittsburgh defense through and through. Awesome season, Troy.

skinart82
01-31-2011, 07:16 PM
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

steelerchad
01-31-2011, 07:17 PM
WOW. I thought Matthews would get it for sure.
I figured Troy and Harrison would split some votes.

joeyssteelcurtain
01-31-2011, 07:17 PM
yeeeessssssssssssssssssssssssss

Atlanta Dan
01-31-2011, 07:19 PM
WOW. I thought Matthews would get it for sure. .

So did Florio and PFT:chuckle:

Reports: Clay Matthews wins defensive player of the year award

But at least Florio acknowledges the screw-up

Apparently, there’s a chance the “multiple reports” were all wrong. Time will tell. At least no one has killed Terry Bradshaw. Again.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/31/clay-matthews-wins-defensive-player-of-the-year-award/#respond

PhantomJB93
01-31-2011, 07:20 PM
I was actually kind of hoping Matthews would get it, although I think Troy deserves it more I think it would have given our defensive guys (maybe not as much Troy himself but the rest of our defense) a little chip on their shoulders to prove we were better...now Im just hoping that theory doesnt work both ways...

acidburn517
01-31-2011, 07:21 PM
WOW. I thought Matthews would get it for sure.
I figured Troy and Harrison would split some votes.

They did. Troy got 17, Harrison got 8. Clay got 15.

Yaay TROY!
:tt04::tt04::tt04:

skinart82
01-31-2011, 07:22 PM
last time the Steelers had a defensive POY the won the Superbowl!!!

Deserei90
01-31-2011, 07:22 PM
You Go Troy, Congrats on that!!!!:applaudit::tt04:

OX1947
01-31-2011, 07:25 PM
I was actually kind of hoping Matthews would get it, although I think Troy deserves it more I think it would have given our defensive guys (maybe not as much Troy himself but the rest of our defense) a little chip on their shoulders to prove we were better...now Im just hoping that theory doesnt work both ways...

The hell kind of Steelers fan are you? Clay Jr tailed off a little the last half of the year. He has some knick knack injuries too. Troy's big plays that won big games I believe were the key. It was one vote from being a Co/DOPY 17-15. If there ever was a Co, it would have been this year....

OX1947
01-31-2011, 07:28 PM
This was the finishing touches on a Hall of Fame career for Troy. If the Steelers win Super Bowl 45, he will be a first ballet hall of famer.

Pittsburgh43
01-31-2011, 07:31 PM
Congrats Troy!!!!

:tt03::tt03::tt03::tt03::tt03::tt03::tt03:

Rick5895
01-31-2011, 07:35 PM
AWESOME!!!!!!

El Nino
01-31-2011, 07:37 PM
Harrison deserved it more than Clay (3 less sacks, but 40 more tackles, 1 more interception, 4 more forced fumbles, and 100k more in fines for hitting people too hard lol), but of course Goodell was gonna ensure that James wasn't going to be picked. With that said, congrats Troy!

OX1947
01-31-2011, 07:40 PM
For those who do not know, Goodell has as much power over the AP as we do. Chilax about the Goodell being God talk. He isnt God and doesnt have power over anything besides the rules of the NFL. If he had control, we would be watching the Packers vs the Cheaters this Sunday.

TRH
01-31-2011, 07:42 PM
Awesome. I'm surprised and happy at the same time (i thought for sure Mathews would get it....)
Now can we let him play this game like he played during the season?? Instead of this thing as of late where he's basically a 'non-factor' of sorts...

Honestly, as good as Troy was, i almost think Harrison was the real defensive MVP. As good as his stats were, there were more "non-stats" from him completely disrupting games and causing chaos (when he wasn't being held..). Either one could have won the award.

El Nino
01-31-2011, 07:45 PM
Awesome. I'm surprised and happy at the same time (i thought for sure Mathews would get it....)
Now can we let him play this game like he played during the season?? Instead of this thing as of late where he's basically a 'non-factor' of sorts...

Honestly, as good as Troy was, i almost think Harrison was the real defensive MVP. As good as his stats were, there were more "non-stats" from him completely disrupting games and causing chaos (when he wasn't being held..). Either one could have won the award.

I agree, if i had a vote, it would be for harrison. but I'm not complaining if they give it to troy.

Steelboy84
01-31-2011, 07:53 PM
Well deserved. :tt03:

Sanders88
01-31-2011, 07:54 PM
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1838387332

join the page and show support for Troy Polamalu :)

SH-Rock
01-31-2011, 07:57 PM
TROY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Farrior_roirraW
01-31-2011, 07:57 PM
:tt04::tt02::tt::tt03::helmet:

SH-Rock
01-31-2011, 08:01 PM
Troy is ****ing awesome
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/09000d5d81e08213/Polamalu-on-Defensive-Player-of-the-Year-win

mcg24
01-31-2011, 08:06 PM
As of this year, I believed Harrison should have won it....but Troy probably should have won the Defensive Player of the Decade award. This man is an absolute MANIAC on defense. He is a very humble, almost too humble :chuckle: guy, and I'm very happy that he gets such a high honor. Congratulations Troy.

William Gay for 2011 AP Defensive Player of the Year?

zulater
01-31-2011, 08:08 PM
This will go good on that Hall of Fame resume!

mcg24
01-31-2011, 08:09 PM
Uhhhhhhhhhh...........

Delete? :noidea::noidea::noidea:

steeltheone
01-31-2011, 08:10 PM
TP won 2 games on his own....Monster year!

El Nino
01-31-2011, 08:13 PM
now troy has to go on and win the super bowl mvp! i think he's due for a big performance, dont yall think? :)

then tell the green bay fans "you know what the difference is between 12-4 and 10-6? TROY POLAMALU."

SteelKnight
01-31-2011, 08:20 PM
Was rooting for Harrison but Matthews was second so I'm glad Troy won. He was nervous at the end and called Woodson the Steelers greatest safety. He didn't play safety until he left. I'm sure Troy knows that. lol

DFWSTEELERFAN
01-31-2011, 08:59 PM
I think Troy wn it because of the timing of his big plays. Without that Raven's strip, we might not be in the Superbowl. The Bengal game stands out as well (where he looked like a flying squirrel)

acidburn517
01-31-2011, 09:14 PM
This is why i absolutely love Troy. (from his twitter)
@tpolamalu: Individual awards only have a place in golf and bowling. Too many parts to single out one player in the world greatest TEAM sport!

You can't hate the guy. It's impossible.

austinfrench76
01-31-2011, 09:22 PM
Absolutely the definitive DPOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So freakin in awe of this guy every time i watch him play PLUS a great guy! Congrats TROY!

SeinfeldNut
01-31-2011, 09:28 PM
Polamalu could not be more deserving of this award, elite player, classy person off the field.

mizzouristeeler
01-31-2011, 09:38 PM
Congrats Troy

Merchant
01-31-2011, 10:47 PM
Troy's too humble man. Can he for ONCE just give himself a little credit?

P.S. Troy had 3 more tackles than Matthews.

Pentheon
02-01-2011, 12:05 AM
Im glad he got it, he deserved it...I feel like someone from our team deserves it each year might be a little biased

good job troy!!!!

pete74
02-01-2011, 03:46 AM
now hopefully people here will stop saying pittsburgh dosnt get the respect they deserve

Steelers>NFL
02-01-2011, 07:17 AM
This is just awesome for the best player, best person on the Pittsburgh Steelers to win this award.
He deserves it GREATLY!!!

lionslicer
02-01-2011, 08:49 AM
The team in the superbowl that has the defensive player of the year on their team always wins the superbowl. Its a fact.

StainlessStill
02-01-2011, 09:20 AM
Hell yes!!!! No other player on any defensive side of the ball that deserves it more as a player and more importantly, a person! Now... Super Bowl MVP?!

SacknificentStew56
02-01-2011, 09:54 AM
This is great news and I hope he solidifies winning the trophy with a game changing play.

BigRick
02-01-2011, 02:07 PM
Wy to go Troy, you deserve it! :tt03:

chitownpit
02-01-2011, 04:13 PM
You could even say he should be MVP . We as steeler fans know these numbers well , the numbers that change when Troy is out of the game . Every
defensive stat the nfl keps track of drops for the steelers when Troy does`nt
start . Most importantly the win loss total . We are better off without Ben
then Troy . I dont think any player in the league [ non quarterback ] affects
his team so drasticly as Troy does . I do think you could have given it to any
of the top three and not have done wrong . But i also think Troy should have
already won this award and deserves it and alot more . Way to go Troy :drink:

InTheShadowofLambeau
02-01-2011, 06:39 PM
Know what Clay Matthews' response was? "I still get to play football on Sunday." These two guys could very possibly be my favorites - neither talk shit, they just play. Harrison? You're welcome to keep him - at one point or another, he's going to cost the Steelers BIG!

Polamalu or Matthews ... either choice would have been the right choice. Those of you discounting Matthews -- yeah, his numbers dropped off toward the end of the season - you bet they did. Teams were accounting for him ... CONSTANT doubling up on him and that's a helluva lot easier to do on a linebacker that tends to hang at the LOS than a DB that is allowed to roam.

I don't mean to take a thing away from #43 - the guy is one of the greatest of all time in my opinion and is deserving...no doubt about it.

tony hipchest
02-01-2011, 06:55 PM
ive seen several dozen guys do what clay matthews does. (the great kevin greene quickly comes to mind).

ive never seen anyone do what troy does.

troy singlehandedly won games vs ATL, BUF, and BAL this season. he does it every season.

as far as james harrison costing us big, as long as he keeps doing it to the tune of defensive MVP awards of his own and 100 yd interception returns in the SB, i'll gladly take it.

he is the essense of what real football used to be all about.

InTheShadowofLambeau
02-01-2011, 07:14 PM
What if one of his "lead with the crown of the helmet" episodes costs the Steelers the game on Sunday? Still ok with that?

Would he still pull that crap if he were wearing leather? That's what football used to be about too.

tony hipchest
02-01-2011, 07:18 PM
it wont and youre damn straight he would.

james is as technically sound as it gets.

InTheShadowofLambeau
02-01-2011, 07:25 PM
...and what about Peppers' hit? That sound as well?

Third Rail
02-03-2011, 02:26 PM
Know what Clay Matthews' response was? "I still get to play football on Sunday." These two guys could very possibly be my favorites - neither talk shit, they just play. Harrison? You're welcome to keep him - at one point or another, he's going to cost the Steelers BIG!

Polamalu or Matthews ... either choice would have been the right choice. Those of you discounting Matthews -- yeah, his numbers dropped off toward the end of the season - you bet they did. Teams were accounting for him ... CONSTANT doubling up on him and that's a helluva lot easier to do on a linebacker that tends to hang at the LOS than a DB that is allowed to roam.

I don't mean to take a thing away from #43 - the guy is one of the greatest of all time in my opinion and is deserving...no doubt about it.

Uh, you don't think that teams account for James Harrison when he plays? Or at least try to? Especially THIS season, when people who don't even watch football got to know all about him? Your argument doesn't really hold water. On one hand, you're saying that Matthews is a great player and possibly deserved the award (at least over Harrison) but on the other hand, when teams account for him, he's not that effective.

So you're basically saying he's a one hit wonder, like quarterbacks who have one really good season and then proceed to suck after that because teams catch on to what they're doing (Tommy Maddox, Derek Anderson).

I wouldn't say that about Matthews... I think he's a talented player. Very good, in fact. However, from a statistic standpoint, Harrison outperformed him in nearly every category. They both deserved consideration for the award, but if it came down to a linebacker, James should have taken it. There are two reasons Matthews got more votes: 1. James has already won the award (you tend to only get awards from the AP once unless your name is Brady or Manning) and 2. the NFL has done everything possible to villify him this season, inlcuding calling hits "helmet-to-helmet" when they clearly weren't.

Anyway, I'm just glad that Troy won. It's been a long time coming. I would love to see him win MVP, but you know they're just going to give it to Bieber.