PDA

View Full Version : Ben: Teammates "Did" Defend Me Against Goodell

SteelerEmpire
01-31-2011, 07:49 PM
I knew that SOB Good-hell was lyin... I'll believe what the players say before that "ass of a man" (Torah quote).

LINK: http://www.nfl.com/superbowl/story/09000d5d81e06b30/article/goodell-says-some-steelers-didnt-back-big-ben-qb-disagrees

TRH
01-31-2011, 07:52 PM
Good. I'm glad he spoke up and isn't taking this s*** and i'm glad other guys are stepping up to the plate as well.
Goodell is now starting to look like a class A FOOL, and a liar.
Awesome.

El Nino
01-31-2011, 08:16 PM
goodell is trying to stir drama in the steelers locker room. he should know by now we ain't having any of that.

HAWK
01-31-2011, 09:03 PM
It's childish. He tells Ben to grow up and then Goodell pulls this gradeschool BS. Nice.

SteelerEmpire
01-31-2011, 09:23 PM
Article:

"Steelers linebacker James Farrior, however, said it’s simply not true for Goodell to claim that no one on the Steelers went to bat for Roethlisberger.

“I was highly upset about the whole situation,” Farrior said. “When Roger Goodell came to us in the preseason, I think I was the guy that asked him a lot of the questions about Ben. I was pretty upset about it. I really didn’t get any answers from him that I was looking for, but I was definitely disappointed in what the verdict was and how they proceeded. I definitely didn’t think he should be suspended four games.”

So Goodell and Farrior clearly remember their conversation very differently. We’ll surely hear from several other Steelers this week who will offer their own recollections of their discussions with Goodell before the season. And we have a feeling that several more Steelers will say they were supportive of Roethlisberger."

LINK: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/31/ben-roethlisberger-i-know-my-teammates-supported-me/

austinfrench76
01-31-2011, 09:30 PM
Ok, so Goodell says "it's not persaonl" but he goes on to say he has no connection to Ben and that his teammates didn't defend him??!! What the hell does he think will come of that?? What, the players won't find out about those comments? What's he trying to say? I would never think it's professional to discuss this type of thing in the press. This guys an ass. He's comparing BB to Micahel Vick. A CONVICTED felon vs. someone who's accused and never even charged!! I'm not saying that Ben wasn't an idiot towards people before but he's not Michael Vick if for no other reason than he wasn't charged with a crime!

casteeler
01-31-2011, 09:44 PM
Funny that all of this come the week before the SB. Fu@* you Goodell

El Nino
01-31-2011, 10:09 PM
is it possible for goodell to be disciplined for that or is he the supreme head honcho?

madtowndrunkard
01-31-2011, 10:12 PM
is it possible for goodell to be disciplined for that or is he the supreme head honcho?

The owners could fire him be a majority vote. Of course I'm sure the NFL would be on the hook for a pretty large contract owed.

With this CBA nightmare staring the NFL right in the face, the league owners will not be doing anything to their leader. But after the CBA, I could see Roger "stepping" down .

madtowndrunkard
01-31-2011, 10:16 PM
Just wait, any player who contradicts what Goodell says in this interview will be fined.

Seriously if I were the steelers, I'd just shut up. What do you think Goodell will do if our players make him look like a total fool? (granted he already did that him self) Just watch those fines and flags pile up. You are better off just shutting up.

Buddha Bus
01-31-2011, 10:19 PM
The good news for us is that this is tantamount to Goodell throwing a stone at a hornets nest. After all of the bullshit that the Steelers players, fans and organization have put up with from this mental defective for the past couple of years, this is just going to explode like a powder-keg right in his stupid face. You think Hines, Deebo, Farrior, Ben, Clark and Troy aren't going to rally the troops and come out guns blazing in the SB?

The Packers should also be pissed at Der Kommissar for throwing gasoline on the fire. This is almost certainly going to have the opposite effect on the Steelers locker room than what Goodell intended. I almost feel sorry for the Packers.

madtowndrunkard
01-31-2011, 10:34 PM
The good news for us is that this is tantamount to Goodell throwing a stone at a hornets nest. After all of the bullshit that the Steelers players, fans and organization have put up with from this mental defective for the past couple of years, this is just going to explode like a powder-keg right in his stupid face. You think Hines, Deebo, Farrior, Ben, Clark and Troy aren't going to rally the troops and come out guns blazing in the SB?

The Packers should also be pissed at Der Kommissar for throwing gasoline on the fire. This is almost certainly going to have the opposite effect on the Steelers locker room than what Goodell intended. I almost feel sorry for the Packers.

Really every player in the NFL should be angry. Every player and agent should stone wall this guy. Would you ever talk to him after knowing he threw others under the bus just a week before the biggest game of their life? I would never speak to anyone if I thought what I said could end up in SI. The commissioner has hurt this game a ton. Good luck trying to get an agreement on a CBA when your leader spits in the faces of those he's trying to bargain with. What a tool . Every owner should also be irate. This is good for no one.

Buddha Bus
01-31-2011, 10:37 PM
Really every player in the NFL should be angry. Every player and agent should stone wall this guy. Would you ever talk to him after knowing he threw others under the bus just a week before the biggest game of their life? I would never speak to anyone if I thought what I said could end up in SI. The commissioner has hurt this game a ton. Good luck trying to get an agreement on a CBA when your leader spits in the faces of those he's trying to bargain with. What a tool . Every owner should also be irate. This is good for no one.

I absolutely agree. He has totally lost any credibility he ever had with this stunt and every single player should be pissed and leery of this guy going forward. No one will ever trust this guy with confidential or anonymous information ever again. This could be Caesar's downfall we are witnessing here.

LVSteelersfan
01-31-2011, 10:47 PM
Can you say D-O-U-C-H-E Bag???????????

Merchant
01-31-2011, 10:50 PM
Wow.. really can't believe Goodell made it seem like two dozen Steelers didn't come to Ben's defense. What a pathetic, despicable attempt at trying to bring a guy down. Ben holding up the Lombardi would be the ultimate slap to Roger's face.

tanda10506
01-31-2011, 11:56 PM
Can't wait till that jackass is out!! I've heard all the "reasons" and talk about why Goodell hates the Steelers, but none of them are significant. He just looks like a schoolyard b*tch.

MACH1
02-01-2011, 12:19 AM
Just wait, any player who contradicts what Goodell says in this interview will be fined.

Seriously if I were the steelers, I'd just shut up. What do you think Goodell will do if our players make him look like a total fool? (granted he already did that him self) Just watch those fines and flags pile up. You are better off just shutting up.

I wouldn't worry what he would do to a player. Right now I'd be more worried about the distraction it's causing.

Neil-Still-Rules-14
02-01-2011, 12:21 AM
Lol so Goodell has now gone back and said it was two dozen NFL players, not two dozen Steelers. That's so easy to forget (sarcasm).

Buddha Bus
02-01-2011, 12:24 AM
I wouldn't worry what he would do to a player. Right now I'd be more worried about the distraction it's causing.

I don't think it will be a distraction at all. On the contrary, I think it will cause his teammates to rally around him and come out pissed off. This could backfire on Goodell BIG TIME! The Steelers already don't like Goodell and this will just motivate them more to shove it down his throat for all of the shit they've had to endure at the hands of this shithead for the past couple of years.

SeinfeldNut
02-01-2011, 12:24 AM
I thought I could not dislike Goodell anymore than I did, just went up a bit reading this article.

MACH1
02-01-2011, 12:35 AM
I don't think it will be a distraction at all. On the contrary, I think it will cause his teammates to rally around him and come out pissed off. This could backfire on Goodell BIG TIME! The Steelers already don't like Goodell and this will just motivate them more to shove it down his throat for all of the shit they've had to endure at the hands of this shithead for the past couple of years.

That part I can agree on.

I was just thinking about them all having to answer questions about it all week.

Buddha Bus
02-01-2011, 12:37 AM
That part I can agree on.

I was just thinking about them all having to answer questions about it all week.

They can handle that. They've been dealing with that shit for a year now and they are seasoned Super Bowl contenders. This shouldn't really faze them too much. The rooks might have a tough time with it, but I have faith the vets will keep them grounded and focused.

El Nino
02-01-2011, 12:47 AM
perfect, they just gave us a reason to get an all against the world mentality. first all the so called experts are picking us to lose, and now we know for sure goodell is against us.

LambertWardSteel
02-01-2011, 01:21 AM

Agreed. I think this becomes motivation and extra incentive. They've been unhappy the entire year with the fines, Ben suspension, etc. This only puts the exclamation point on everything.

Neil-Still-Rules-14
02-01-2011, 01:45 AM
This appears to be a deliberate attempt by Goodell to create a division in the team at the "perfect" time. Luckily, he got called on it and had to backtrack his statements almost immediately. Now he just looks like a clown.

Buddha Bus
02-01-2011, 01:48 AM
This appears to be a deliberate attempt by Goodell to create a division in the team at the "perfect" time. Luckily, he got called on it and had to backtrack his statements almost immediately. Now he just looks like a clown.

He's going to look even sillier handing that trophy over to Big Ben on Sunday! :wink02:

iamfirmin
02-01-2011, 04:23 AM
I am really surprised he would go out publically now and say things about Ben..
I will be ready for the Steelers to rally around Ben .. today.. MEDIA DAY.
If I were Rooney I would have a conversation with Goodell..

and he did write this.
READ QUOTE

"Not one, not a single player, went to his defense," Goodell said of speaking to about two dozen Steelers players.

THEN PETER KING RETRACTS IT.. humm I wonder the sales are for SI magazine...
THIS IS NOT THE WAY TO MAKE SALES...

Well they will not be getting my money!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pete74
02-01-2011, 04:40 AM
i want to see Goodwell hand Ben that MVP trophey after the game more then anything else in this world(aside from a win). i would love to see Ben grab the trophey from him then fake a handshake

plenewken
02-01-2011, 05:46 AM
Goodell doesn't like the Steelers and consequently he doesn't want us to win another SB. I'm not discussing here his motivations because I don't know them but remember what I wrote earlier. This moron has the ability to directly influence the result of the game, let's keep this in mind.
The zebras will have a zero tolerance policy against the Steelers, that's a no-brainer. We will have to hit clean and within the rules or we'll see a lot of 15yds flags.

pghfrank62
02-01-2011, 06:02 AM
This clown of a commissioner should keep his mouth shut His idea of fairness is to suspend people to protect the shield, (That in itself is a joke (The Shield is a Billion Dollar GoldMINE, and Goose,) integrity has nothing to do with it. It is just like the hype of the Super Bowl in general. The talking head media needs at least 2 weeks of filler and so called stories to sensationalize every little tidbit. Its a freaking Joke!!!!

mesaSteeler
02-01-2011, 06:18 AM
Teammates rebuff Goodell's claims no one defended Ben

By Scott Brown
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, February 1, 2011

FORT WORTH, Texas — NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell's claim that Ben Roethlisberger's teammates didn't support him following a tumultuous offseason is news to them.

"That's baloney," inside linebacker James Farrior said yesterday after the Steelers arrived in North Texas for Super Bowl XLV. "All of the guys in the locker room love Ben. No matter what people say, how people think we feel about Ben, we love the guy."

The Steelers' franchise quarterback may be a lightning rod for the media this week, but Goodell sparked the first real controversy of Super Bowl XLV.

Goodell, who visited Steelers training camp Aug. 5, told Sports Illustrated's Peter King that he talked to more than 20 of Roethlisberger's teammates during the offseason.

"Not one, not a single player, went to his defense," Goodell said in a story on SI's website yesterday. "It wasn't personal in a sense, but all kinds of stories like, 'He won't sign my jersey.' "

Sports Illustrated issued a clarification late Monday night and said Goodell was referring to NFL players — and not Roethlisberger's Steelers teammates specifically — when the commissioner said nobody came to Roethlisberger's defense.

Goodell suspended Roethlisberger for six games in April after the quarterback was accused of sexual assault. Goodell reduced the suspension to four games while lauding the changes Roethlisberger had made off the field.

Goodell's remarks caught the Steelers by surprise.

"I'm just thankful that my teammates are who they are, and I'm really appreciative of it," Roethlisberger said.

Roethlisberger's teammates rushed to his defense during the first media availability here.

Wide receiver Hines Ward said he didn't recall talking to Goodell about Roethlisberger.

Farrior said when Goodell met with the Steelers during training camp, he pressed the commissioner about Roethlisberger's suspension.

"I really didn't want to talk about anything else but the suspension," said Farrior, whom coach Mike Tomlin recently called the unquestioned leader of the Steelers. "He tried to get off the subject and really didn't give us any answers that we were looking for."

The Steelers have been supportive of Roethlisberger's efforts to right the wrongs that could have brought down his career in Pittsburgh.

In April, director of football operations Kevin Colbert said that the team didn't condone Roethlisberger's behavior but believed he deserved the chance to redeem himself.

"I'm not surprised by his success on the field nor his behavior off the field since that time," Colbert said yesterday.

Colbert said that the Steelers never tried to trade Roethlisberger after he was accused of sexual assault twice in a nine-month span.

Colbert said trade talk leading up to the NFL draft is standard operating procedure as the Steelers gauge interest other teams have of moving up or down in the first round.

"We never shopped anybody during that period," Colbert said, disputing reports that had indicated otherwise.

Goodell's comments to SI put him at odds with the Steelers for the second time this season.

His crackdown on dangerous hits led to outside linebacker James Harrison getting fined four times in 2010. And Steelers players questioned whether the league was targeting them and the team's style of play while making player safety a priority.

They seemed just as miffed about why Goodell appeared to be targeting Roethlisberger at the start of a weeklong NFL celebration.

In addition to saying the Steelers players had not come to Roethlisberger's defense, Goodell said he had no personal connection to the two-time Super Bowl winner.

"I don't know what he means by 'come to his defense,' " Tomlin said. "Ben is a highly respected member of our football team not only because of what he's done this year but just his body of work and the person that he is.

"We all fall short of perfection, we all make mistakes. He's doing the best that he can in terms of moving forward with it, as are his teammates."

Steelers defensive end Brett Keisel, perhaps Roethlisberger's closest friend on the team, said, "I've always had Ben's back. I think everyone was behind him. Everyone just didn't really know how to respond to all the questions and all the scrutiny."

Scott Brown can be reached at sbrown@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

Read more: Teammates rebuff Goodell's claims no one defended Ben - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/print_720750.html#ixzz1Ci1EwHbI

TRH
02-01-2011, 07:30 AM
now Kiesel speaks up too. Fantastic!! Ben is looking like a really good guy here and Goodell is now looking like a bitter, old creep. Backfired!! haha

FanSince72
02-01-2011, 07:46 AM
Well, if we ever needed something to rally behind, this is it. So I guess we should be thanking Goodell for supplying our team with the bulletin board material we needed.

I know that Goodell is a Class A Tool and apparently a malicious S.O.B., but let's not forget that King was part of this too. A really "good" reporter is supposed to check his facts before he prints them but apparently King worships Goodell and so he figured that whatever Goodell says must be Gospel.

I hope that this goes way beyond us and the SB and haunts Goodell throughout the CBA and I hope he gets his balls handed to him by the players.

Atlanta Dan
02-01-2011, 07:59 AM
Sly response by Ward that Goodell did not speak with Hines:chuckle:

Given Ward's history with Ben I would not have expected Ward to have been very supportive of Roethlisberger if Goodell had spoken with him - but if that is correct, I find it surprising that Goodell would not have spoken with a veterna leader such as #86

Maybe Goodell spoke with Faneca

Curtain_of_Steel
02-01-2011, 08:24 AM
Nothing wrong with Peter King bringing it out. thats his job. He did pick the steelers to win it all.

Perhaps this is his way of calling out the pos commish. Perhaps PK knew the Steeler players were not against Ben.

Enquiring minds, lol

Curtain_of_Steel
02-01-2011, 08:26 AM
The term "supportive" can go in different directions.

You can still support your child when he steals your peanut butter cups, but his ass is going to know your pissed off and dissappointed. I believe the players still backed and supported Ben. But no doubt were dissappointed in him.

madtowndrunkard
02-01-2011, 08:44 AM
I'm guessing most players in the NFL could have been in the exact same spot Ben was in. Drunk, at a crowded bar, full of drunk college age girls hanging all over you. If anyone of those girls decided to run to the cops anyone could be in the same position as Ben. Since Ben has been convicted by accusations and hear say I really don't think any player should be slamming Ben. It's been no secret Ben has been a douche bag since coming to pittsburgh. Find me a guy in his 20's who isn't a douche bag after you give him $20million. I'm not excusing the behavior but I think everyone around the NFL better look in the mirror before they decide to go pointing fingers. I also think the NFL should open their eyes and be a little more fair when it comes to discipline. There is no consistency when it comes to discipline....NONE.

If image wasn't so important to NFL QB's I'm guessing Ben would have a pretty strong legal case against the NFL. Sure much of this nightmare for Ben is his own fault. I don't disagree with that. I do disagree with much of the reaction the case is getting though. I think it is hypocritical of most people to say anything about it. Brett Favre and his buddies on the Packers were by most accounts way worse then what we've heard about Ben. I live in Wi. I've seen the actions of Brett Favre and his teammates with my own eyes. Yet Brett was a hero for most of his career because he seemed like a "regular guy".... laughable.

What I really don't get is the commissioner basically patting Vick on the back....then slamming Ben. It makes no sense what so ever. The media and the NFL have made people believe that Ben violently raped woman. I even read one article (I think from SI) saying the victim was bloodied and bruised after Ben had his way with her....which of course is 100% false. I personally have a hard time ignoring the fact that the victim was drunk, hanging all over Ben, and wearing a shirt that said something to the effect of being "down with F@#$ing" Throw in the fact that none of the witnesses stories made sense. Then based off a police officers investigation of the situation it concluded that Ben is guilty of being a slime ball. What does that mean exactly? Could you imagine if you were found guilty based off the perception of the police officers involved? I have daughters so I don't take the accusations lightly, but I don't see how you can conclude that Ben is guilty of sexual assault. I think I'd be more pissed at my daughter for putting her self in such a situation and acting like a skank.

Atlanta Dan
02-01-2011, 09:25 AM
I'm guessing most players in the NFL could have been in the exact same spot Ben was in. ..

What I really don't get is the commissioner basically patting Vick on the back....then slamming Ben. .

I doubt that many, let alone most, NFL players would go into a bathroom with a drunk college girl if they were named at th time as a defendant in a pending civil lawsuit for sexual assault - Roethlisberger had to have been told by the attorneys in the Nevada case to stay out of compromising situations until that case was resolved and is damn lucky he had a DA who actually applied the standard of requiring proof beyone a reasonable doubt to convict before getting the grand jury to indict (ask three former members of the Duke lacrosse team what can happen when a prosecutor wants to take down some athletes in a high profile case involving allegations of sexual assault). It gets back to the fact opposing Goodell's actions does not require defending Roethlisberger's conduct - multi-millionaire QBs in their late 20s can do a hell of a lot better than getting trashed in a bar with drunk college kids in a backwater Georgia town and should be ashamed for doing so.

I also get the motive behind Goodell's comment about it being "pretty cool" if Vick potentially would be Super Bowl MVP some day. There is a perception among some players that the league only has hated on black players for off the field misconduct - making nice to Vick rebuts that, as does taking down a high profile white QB whom it is my understanding was the first player to ever be suspended without at least an arrest or positive drug test. Do not underestiamte the racial politics in this.

Curtain_of_Steel
02-01-2011, 09:43 AM
Vick has licked Goodells butt if you have heard him in interviews. He was on ESPN radio before their playoffs game and it was a ass kissing festival by Vick.

BB shouldn't say thank you may I have another, or acknoledge him. He doesn;t have too. He doesn;t have to like him either. Nor respect him. Of which he doesn't. I would only hope the Rooneys made a comment privately to the commish's office that he is out of line. They equally should've said it publically.

We all were disspponted in his actions, and we all backed and supported him while he was in timeout. Equally he has come back a much better person and has admitted it as well. Enough said!

Stu Pidasso
02-01-2011, 10:24 AM
The owners could fire him be a majority vote. Of course I'm sure the NFL would be on the hook for a pretty large contract owed .

Maybe they should wait until he's only making $1 for the year without the CBA... :chuckle:

steelerzfannforever
02-01-2011, 10:36 AM
Goodell is a piece of trash! I wish he would stand on the sideline during the Superbowl because I would love to see a play happen close to him with Harrison in the area and have James whiff and go straight for Goodell!! That would be priceless and I would laugh for a week!

realdeal
02-01-2011, 12:17 PM
I used to love his show as a kid, "life goes on"!! He played as Corky!!

pete74
02-01-2011, 12:34 PM
I used to love his show as a kid, "life goes on"!! He played as Corky!!

i remember that. i used to always tease my brother as kids calling him Corky. i know its mean and horrible

tony hipchest
02-01-2011, 05:01 PM
jim wexell is a little more reserved than the other local writers in regards to goodell-

... cause team dissent? This is serious breach. Goodell must be fired.
8 hours ago

jimwexell James C Wexell
Did he break confidentiality 2 football's biggest microphone 2 intention
8 hours ago

jimwexell James C Wexell
Key is when did Goodell break confidentiality of those interviewed? ... next
8 hours ago

jimwexell James C Wexell
B4 drive into belly of 'The Beast' , wanted 2 say Goodell should be fired for comments on Ben to King. ... next

:chuckle: go jim!