PDA

View Full Version : Kudla.......Power man........

DIESELMAN
05-01-2006, 10:33 PM
Mike Kudla will try to adjust to being a 3-4 linebacker for the Steelers.

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/25/257353.jpg

When seemingly the entire Pittsburgh Steelers front office and coaching staff descended upon Ohio State?s pro day in early March, most people assumed it was because they wanted to check out center Nick Mangold and linebacker Bobby Carpenter.

As it turns out, the Steelers came away from draft weekend with a different pair of former Buckeyes stars, selecting wide receiver Santonio Holmes in the first round of the draft and picking up defensive end Mike Kudla as a rookie free agent, one of 12 signed by the team Monday.

The 5-10, 188-pound Holmes was the fastest player at Ohio State?s pro day, running a 4.34-second 40-yard dash on the school?s notoriously fast track. But Kudla, he was the best at something you can?t fake. He holds the school record with a 610-pound bench press.

Steelers defensive coordinator **** LeBeau told reporters at the school?s pro day that he believes the 6-1, 265-pound Kudla will be a nice fit as an outside linebacker in a 3-4 scheme.

?I think he would do well in a system like ours, because he can do a little bit of both,? LeBeau said of Kudla, who runs a 4.77-second 40 yard dash. ?He can come down and become an end, and he?s agile enough to get up and drop. So he?s a guy that I think would do well in that type of system.?

LeBeau and the Steelers obviously felt strongly enough about that to make Kudla the only linebacker prospect they acquired over the weekend.

Kudla certainly has the strength to hold up against NFL blockers ? he bench pressed 225 pounds 42 times at the NFL combine ? now the question will be if he has the pass rush skills the Steelers desire in their outside linebackers.

After posting four sacks in half a season as a starter in his junior season, Kudla had 9.5 as a senior, the first time in his career at Ohio State he had been able to stay healthy for an entire season.

He battled a viral infection and a torn labrium in his shoulder earlier in his career.

?Mike?s always been a good football player for us,? Ohio State defensive coordinator Jim Hea**** told Scout.com. ?He?s had some problems with health, staying healthy, and had some injury problems over the years. When he?s played, he's always been a good football player for us.?

Also signed Monday as rookie free agents were safeties Zach Baker of East Carolina, Jamar Landrom of Tennessee State and West Virginia?s Mike Lorello; placekicker Mark Brubaker of East Stroudsburg; tight ends Jonathan Dekker of Princeton and Issac Smolko of Penn State; offensive tackle Nick Hagemann of South Dakota State; cornerback Anthony Madison of Alabama; guard Grayling Love of Arizona State; defensive tackle Scott Paxson of Penn State; and defensive end Lee Vickers of North Alabama.

By: Dale Lolley
Courtesy of the Observer-Reporter
Date: May 1, 2006

Ambridge
05-02-2006, 09:09 AM
Kudla was a feature on Monday's NFL Total Access on the NFL Network.
He looks like a solid free agent pick-up possibly making the roster/practice squad.

shimmysteelerfan
05-02-2006, 01:06 PM
cant wait to see how he fits in, hopefully he can stay healthy

jbattenhouse
05-03-2006, 06:44 AM
“He’s had some problems with health, staying healthy, and had some injury problems over the years.

I can't say I am thrilled with this statement. And the part about his performance at the combine is wrong. He bench pressed 225 44 times, one less than the record, not 42. But this also makes me think that maybe the guy hits the weights too much. I mean, it is great to be strong, but he may be causing himself some injuries from this. And while his upper body strength is good, what about his leg strength and drive? You can't just bench press lineman and blockers away. I certainly hope he works out for us and can be a good replacement for somebody. Could he play inside LB as well?

clevestinks
05-03-2006, 09:51 AM
This is kid has a great shot of making the team

steelcity984
05-03-2006, 11:47 PM
He's a beast

SteelerFanInCA
05-04-2006, 04:07 PM
How do you bench press 610 lbs?

Ohio Steeler
05-04-2006, 04:39 PM
How do you bench press 610 lbs?

you have to be strong as hell

nwksteeler
05-07-2006, 06:28 PM
he fits the steeler mold, he will get a shot to make the team.

CowherLover
05-07-2006, 08:27 PM
I'll go out on a limb and predict to see him make the team and definitely visible on Special Teams this year, possibly elsewhere if ready and the need arises. I'm biased of course since I'm a Buckeye, this was a great pick up!

SteelerFanInCA
05-08-2006, 04:11 PM
So did this guy basically play in the shawdows of Hawk and Carpenter?

stelpit
05-12-2006, 02:11 AM
he is a starter he will be there i have watch him as a ohio state fan and i cant beleive he went as a free agent he shoulf have been a 3 or4 round pick

stelpit
05-12-2006, 02:24 AM
the more buckeyes the better