PDA

View Full Version : The Official Brett Keisel Beard thread

SH-Rock
01-31-2011, 08:30 PM
http://blogs.nfl.com/2011/01/31/its-impossible-to-over-hype-the-beard/?module=HP_spotlight

http://i56.tinypic.com/2uoh308.jpg
FORT WORTH — We all have those Christmas presents that we don’t use. A tie rack, an automated coin sorter and any CD bought at Wal-Mart that edits out all the profanity.

For the Steelers’ Brett Keisel, it is a razor his wife gave to him. From this side view, it is obvious that razor won’t be used.

“I am thinning on top, so I had to do something,” Keisel quipped.

“I don’t even remember what my face looks like.”

Should have given him more conditioner (which he was adamant to point out he did use).

The beard did dominate the conversation when Keisel and a select group of Pittsburgh Steelers met the media Monday shortly after arriving in town, but Keisel did answer some football questions. When discussing the team of the decade, he said the Steelers aren’t there yet.

“We are just a good team trying to get better.”

As for beard of the decade, that competition is over. Even QB Ben Roethlisberger was cracking jokes, suggesting that Keisel’s beard has its own Twitter feed. I’d follow it.

In spirit of his...great...beard I think we should crack jokes about it.

Brett Keisel doesn't have a beard, the beard has a Brett Kiesel.

Brett Keisel has more hair on his face than Justin Beiber has on his whole body.

mesaSteeler
01-31-2011, 08:32 PM
Brett Keisel's grizzly beard 'unleashed Super Bowl power'
By Nate Davis, USA TODAY
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/steelers/2011-01-31-brett-keisel_N.htm#
FORT WORTH Brett Keisel takes his sweet time.

EnlargeClose

By Gregory Shamus, Getty Images

While Pittsburgh defensive end Brett Keisel is known for harassing opposing offenses, his beard is now getting all the attention leading into Super Bowl XLV.

Whether it's developing into a star player, making a championship-clinching play or shaving his beard, the Pittsburgh Steelers' ninth-year defensive end is rarely in a rush.

However, he was surrounded by a crush of reporters Monday after the team's arrival in Texas, most of them fascinated by his Grizzly Adams-esque appearance.

"The beard is why we're here," cracked Keisel. "It's unleashed Super Bowl power on our whole team."

Indeed, his facial follicles have taken on a life of their own.

Since Keisel stopped shaving last June, Facebook and Twitter pages have been dedicated to the beard, and it may draw more attention this week than the renowned locks of Steelers safety Troy Polamalu or Green Bay Packers linebacker Clay Matthews.

"It's got its own T-shirt, so I mean it's its own entity," said Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, a close friend of Keisel's. "He hides everything in there. We go hunting, and he hides decoys in there."

Yet for all the notoriety coming Keisel's way, living with an entity on his face entails certain challenges.

"Maintenance problems, issues with the mouthpiece, issues with the chinstrap all of them overcome-able for the main goal, which is win the Super Bowl," he said.

Keisel's cyber celebrity won't do any good on that front, but his play could definitely help him earn a third ring and a record seventh Lombardi Trophy for the franchise.

Though playing left end on coordinator Dick LeBeau's patented 3-4 defense doesn't lend itself to glory Keisel finished the year with 33 tackles and three sacks while sucking up a lot of blocks for the linebackers who racked up the sacks and tackles while swooping in behind him he did earn his first Pro Bowl berth for doing the dirty work that's so greatly appreciated in the Steel City.

"They have three big guys, three really big experienced guys up front," said Packers right guard Josh Sitton, who will spend much of Super Bowl XLV colliding with Keisel. "They have guys that have got a lot of football under their belts, and they play physical."

Keisel was drafted in the seventh round out of Brigham Young in 2002. He'd worked his way into a starting role by 2006 and even fell on a fumble from quarterback Kurt Warner, killing the Arizona Cardinals' final drive of Super Bowl XLIII and putting a bow on Pittsburgh's 27-23 victory.

But Keisel received a little help along his route from a fellow Cougars defensive lineman to reach that point. Reserve nose tackle Chris Hoke left BYU and signed with the Steelers as a free agent a year before Keisel's arrival.

"It's been awesome. We've really relied on each other a lot. When I first came to Pittsburgh, Hokie took me under his wing," said Keisel.

"He told me what was expected because I asked him, 'How am I gonna make this team, man?' He said, 'You know what, keep your head down and go to work.'

"I honestly don't know if I'd be in this position without Chris Hoke."

His spot secured the Steelers awarded the fringe draft pick a five-year, $18.9 million contract prior to the 2009 season Keisel is turning his attention toward the Packers, specifically multi-threat quarterback Aaron Rodgers and the problems he poses.

"I think Aaron's the best. I think he's playing the best, including (Tom) Brady. I don't see people throwing the ball where it's 5 feet off the ground for 40 yards like Aaron does," said Keisel.

"I think it's gonna be a big key in the game getting to him and trying to get him rattled."

And perhaps no one is rooting for Pittsburgh to plant Rodgers in the turf more than Keisel's wife, Sarah.

"Hopefully we'll win, I can go home and pull the Lombardi out of the beard for all the fans to see, and then I think I'll have to whack it off or my wife might leave me," said Keisel.

"She doesn't really remember the guy she married, but she gets to wake up to this every morning and at least get a chuckle. She gave me a razor for Christmas, and it's still in the package.

"But I'll have to break that out eventually."

tony hipchest
01-31-2011, 08:56 PM
we are going to try and keep all discussions about 'the beard" contained in one single thread. :old:

SH-Rock
01-31-2011, 09:02 PM
Thanks Tony.

Merchant
01-31-2011, 10:55 PM
Brett looks like he's about to join ZZ Top.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_lqcojcaZzKg/R1KF_6RfSqI/AAAAAAAAA2k/bMTMBiicSjs/s1600-R/zz3-75.jpg

tanda10506
01-31-2011, 11:52 PM
I'm growing one till the SB is over, lol working on about 4 weeks now. I do look ridiculous lol, but it's a deal I made and it's working well so far.

Buddha Bus
01-31-2011, 11:57 PM
How much longer do you think it will be until Llyod's of London insures that beard?

MattsMe
02-01-2011, 12:04 AM
I'm worried about his beard causing the refs to penalize us for having 12 men on the field.

tony hipchest
02-01-2011, 12:09 AM
"Excuse me... Mr. Keisel... I have Jesus on line 1 and He'd like His beard back."

Buddha Bus
02-01-2011, 12:20 AM
That beard could single-hairedly destroy Gillette Stadium!

mizzouristeeler
02-01-2011, 12:48 AM
I'm growing one till the SB is over, lol working on about 4 weeks now. I do look ridiculous lol, but it's a deal I made and it's working well so far.

i hear ya. i havent shaved since we beat carolina. my fiance bitches about twenty times a day.:thumbsup:

grward
02-01-2011, 04:35 AM
Super Bowl XLV MVP ... the BEARD! :chuckle:

SH-Rock
02-01-2011, 11:15 AM
Willow Smith's song "Whip My Hair" is actually a parody of Brett Keisel's song "Whip My Beard"

Buddha Bus
02-01-2011, 11:17 AM
Chuck Norris fears Keisel's beard.

CargoJon
02-01-2011, 11:48 AM
https://www.nationalreview.com/sites/default/files/nfs/uploaded/u814/yukon%20cornelius.jpg

lexingtonsteelersfan
02-01-2011, 07:01 PM
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/4c/fullj.576ddf0619b30580cfd7258d7ed91ff0/576ddf0619b30580cfd7258d7ed91ff0-getty-103206766mh066_super_bowl_x.jpg

Atlanta Dan
02-01-2011, 09:22 PM
Nice to see one of the soldiers in the trenches get some time in the media spotlight - this from The New York Times

Jack Passion knows a thing or two about beards. With his orange-red “waterfall of hot lava,” as he called it, spilling from his chin, he is the country’s only full-time professional beard grower. It is not a lucrative job, really, but between the worldwide contests he wins and the book he wrote about beard growing, he can be considered an expert on the subject.

Which is why Passion knows all about Steelers defensive end Brett Keisel. Or, more specifically, the two-toned tangle of tonsorial madness hanging off of Keisel’s face.

“It is raw and it is real and it is healthy,” Passion said. “It is like the coat of a wolf.” ...

“There are not a lot of jobs in America where you can look like this — where your boss is going to say: ‘You know what? That’s a good look. Make sure you keep coming to work looking like that,’ ” Keisel said.

Weeks ago, the Steelers’ owner, Dan Rooney, a steward of tradition, asked Keisel what he was doing. Keisel offered to shave.

“He said, ‘No, you let it eat,’ ” Keisel said. “ ‘But I’m going to call you Santa.’ He’s called me Santa ever since.”

The 78-year-old Rooney really said, “Let it eat?”

“Yeah, Mr. Rooney’s got the lingo down,” Keisel said. ....

On Tuesday, as Roethlisberger sat on a podium nearby and was peppered with questions regarding last summer’s sexual-assault accusations and subsequent four-game suspension by the N.F.L. to start this season, Keisel, his best friend, provided a comic diversion.

After Keisel stepped up to his perch, Roethlisberger strode by, carrying a full beard and wielding a video camera.

“Beard got a name?” Roethlisberger asked.

“The Beard,” Keisel replied

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/02/sports/football/02hair.html?ref=sports

lexingtonsteelersfan
02-01-2011, 09:48 PM
Jim Rome said the game was so evenly matched that the difference would be Kiesel's beard and all the passion that it provides to the team.

El Nino
02-01-2011, 09:49 PM
brett kiesel's beard has its own name.. BRENT

BRENT keisel?
sghnJmCIk3o

Acerinox
02-02-2011, 12:07 AM
My wife also calls Keisel Santa. She thinks it's hilarious.
She's not so impressed with my Superbowl beard. Yes I have one too.
I last shaved right before the Pats game and we all know how that turned out.