PDA

View Full Version : Go Go Gadget Play?

Livinginthe past
05-02-2006, 05:31 AM
Hey Steeler fans,

With Robinson off the board early in the 4th round the Steelers never got their much predicted slash QB/RB/WR guy - so the question is who do the gadget plays go through now?

Hines Ward is the only guy I can think of who has experience of QB - but then you cant have the same guy catching the bomb as throwing it!

Maybe the gadgets go out of the playbook altogether?

NM

benberger
05-02-2006, 06:39 AM
ben pitches to willie, hands off to hines, throws to santonio for another super bowl TD.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-02-2006, 06:43 AM
Hines, Cedric Wilson,Heath Miller, Quincey Morgan, are all guys that have either played QB in the past or have atleast attempted passes on Gadget plays. Who knows, since Holmes is a do it all guy, maybe we can get him to throw some passes too.

coachspeak33
05-02-2006, 07:12 AM
Some of the guys on this roster are unbelievable athletes.... I am sure our gadget plays will still remain a threat.....

Which is probably more effective than actually running them.... the threat of reverses and option passes and misdirection forces the defensive secondary to stay honest.

Livinginthe past
05-02-2006, 07:20 AM
Hines, Cedric Wilson,Heath Miller, Quincey Morgan, are all guys that have either played QB in the past or have atleast attempted passes on Gadget plays. Who knows, since Holmes is a do it all guy, maybe we can get him to throw some passes too.

Thanks Blitz,

I wasn't aware of so many guys with experience of throwing the rock.

I didnt think Cowher would want to give up them gadgets - when they come off they look excellent.

NM

tony hipchest
05-02-2006, 09:13 AM
although hes gone, jerome was known to throw a few touchdowns too. not the prototypical qb for sure. i have thought alot about the gadget play. was it just a deoderant for inadequate qb's or wr's to stretch the field? or was it fully maximizing the talent we had? i say the latter. it became ingrained in the playbook since kordells 1st year. the players love it. they love running them in practice and they love the anticipation of them being called in a game. it is fun for them. i say dont take this fun away. the fans love it too. els toss in the sb will go down as one of the more memorable sb plays. i dont think we will see anyone who is good as those plays as el was, though. he was a special player. like jerome, a player that probably comes along once every 20 years. but i dont see scrapping parts of the playbook because of the departure of one or 2 guys. thats just not the steelers style. can duce throw????

Tim
05-02-2006, 10:02 AM
Heh.. if Bettis can throw touchdown passes, who knows. I'm sure we'll find someone.

Dook
05-02-2006, 11:29 AM
I think the gadget plays are exciting and may have some slight advantage in keeping opposing defenses on their toes but they have never been key to any of our wins.

Except maybe that playoff game a few years ago against the Jets when Bettis tossed one.

This year we may pull a few more tricks, use the gadget play in the first two games then cut them out and bring them back for the playoffs. Secondaries will have to respect the reverse and it may open up a few big runs for us.

BB2W
05-02-2006, 11:31 AM
If they choose to continue to run end around passes I think they already had the guy to throw it in Ward... they just went out and got a new guy to catch it in Holmes. Hines played some quarterback and I'm not sure he is as accurate as El but I'll bet he can complete a pass to a wide open receiver.

pucho58
05-02-2006, 11:39 AM
They could use that rookie qb they just picked up.

Black@Gold Forever32
05-02-2006, 11:41 AM
Gadget plays are fun and great in all. But Ben will be going into his third year now. With all the added weapons the Steelers have provided Ben the last few drafts. The Steelers should just let their young franchise QB throw the ball more and not rely on gadget plays. Don't get me wrong I like trick plays. But they are great calls when the work and horrible calls when they don't. Steelers had great success with them last year. But I remember other years when they didn't work so great. Steelers still should employ them at times. But I hope they don't rely on them to much. You draft a QB like Ben Roethlisberger for a reason.

BigDude66687
05-02-2006, 01:15 PM
I wanna see a gadget play where miller throws the ball

clevestinks
05-02-2006, 02:01 PM
Heath Miller was a former QB, so look out!

siss
05-02-2006, 03:09 PM
I wanna see a gadget play where miller throws the ball
To a wide open Roethlisberger who runs it in from 10 yard line!
Now THAT would be a cool play!

Haiku_Dirtt
05-02-2006, 03:16 PM
Thanks Blitz,

I wasn't aware of so many guys with experience of throwing the rock.

I didnt think Cowher would want to give up them gadgets - when they come off they look excellent.

NM

Yeah. But when the reverses net negative 12 yards they don't look all that good.

You're talking about maybe 5-10 plays a year. I'd hate to think that they waste alot of energy trying to force it all together. If they see opportunity then great.

TheTruestBlackGoldFan
05-02-2006, 04:51 PM
There was this guy we drafted by the name of Omar Jacobs...he has 4.5 speed and a very nice arm, and i belive that he is a Reciver converted to QB or the infamous "Slash" once occupied by Kordell Stewart. He can be put into the slot on gadget plays (of course they would work him into the offense BEFORE to make it less obvious) and he will take the place of El in the excellent trickery of the Pittsburgh Steelers. He was a good pick up from bowling green.

Bryant McFadden, James Daniel, and Brandon Hunt (Player Personnel Intern) go to my church. Its Just the Place to be.

MattsMe
05-02-2006, 08:06 PM
We need to teach Parker to throw floaters. He's fast enough to catch his own passes. :smile:
I wonder if that's legal...

Petesburgh66
05-02-2006, 11:12 PM
We need to teach Parker to throw floaters. He's fast enough to catch his own passes. :smile:
I wonder if that's legal...

Now that would be Perfect...Mr. Perfect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRNUY1iIAag&search=mr.%20perfect

But it's not a legal play.

Koopa
05-03-2006, 12:08 AM
lol, you acting like we use it every game. it wasn't a big part of what we do so not having that guy like el won't hurt us one bit, now we have a way better wr in holmes then we had in el. damn i can't wait till next season

HburgXL06
05-03-2006, 12:37 AM
lol, you acting like we use it every game. it wasn't a big part of what we do so not having that guy like el won't hurt us one bit, now we have a way better wr in holmes then we had in el. damn i can't wait till next season

Koopa nailed it. While the gadget plays got a lot of attention in the playoffs and the super bowl it is our same old strategy of bruisin, beat em down football that carried us the majority of the way. When the opponent tried to prepare for that we showed off our passin game, when they tried to cover that we threw in somethin they never had seen before and never saw comin. The plays are high risk/high payoff situations that would be idiotic to run every single play. The precision required for a single competitive execution in a game comes only after hours of practice in addition to the regular plays that we run. It took the creative minds of the Steelers coachin staff to turn Randel El from a so-so receiver into a multi-dimensional force that could surprise an opponent from nowhere. I doubt you'll see El used so effectively in DC. It will only be a matter of time before the Steelers turn out another multi-dimensional player to threaten defenses again. Peace.

BuFu