PDA

View Full Version : Q:How does Holmes effect the Steelers offense A:It could be really scary

coachspeak33
05-02-2006, 09:33 AM
WIDE RECEIVERS
Obviously Santonio Holmes is somebody who excites a large portion of the Steeler nation. He brings gamebreaking ability to passing game (possibly special teams as well). Maybe more importantly, however, his draft selection gives us fantastic depth at WR.

He allows Nate Washington one more year of seasoning, maturing and learning. I am excited about him, but feel better about Holmes in your first 3 WR's instead of Washington. I want Nate in a Steelers uniform just would love to see his development continue (patience has paid off for several current starters on O and D).

Holmes pick also allows us to keep Q Morgan in a role he is more effective at .... a receiver in a 4 WR set and a special teams asset.

Hopefully Holmes' addition, along with Willie Reid, will make it so that nobody has to witness Sean Morey running pass patterns ever again.... Sean is a great gunner but little else.

Holmes allows players to stay in roles that they are more effective in and with Hines and Ced, Santonio shouldnt feel a ton of pressure to come in and make tons of plays early.

Needless to say I love our core of WR's much more after the draft than I did before.
TIGHT ENDS
H Miller made an immediate impact as a rookie.... imagine how good he will be when he becomes a professional!!!!

Tuman is an effective backup.... Drafting Miller made Tuman a better player because he is playing a role (backup TE & ST) that he is more suited to contribute

Heath may not be Gates or Gonzalez but he is a great red zone threat, we saw in the playoffs (especially vs Indy) that he can stretch the D a bit for Ben and there is little doubt that he should be considered a weapon.... Not many teams consider their TE a weapon. Lord knows no Steeler TE has been widely considered a "weapon" in nearly 10 years.

RUNNING BACK
I know there were people out there who wanted White in Round 2, but I love our RB situation right now. Every back on our roster is effective at catching the ball out of the backfield. And they have been around our running scheme for multiple years now.

I never understood why people wanted to draft White in Round 1 because we have a RB that ran for 1200+ in his 1st season. Yes Willie is a bit undersized so durability (especially for a Steeler RB) is an issue. But every back is undersized compared to the big fella that has been toting the rock for us the last 10 seasons. Willie's speed is something that changes our offense and makes it way more dangerous.

Duce appears to be set to take over the closer role Bettis filled for the last few seasons. He also is a guy with outstanding hands out of the backfield. He also has bulked up quite a bit and maybe that allows him to improve his durability. Duce also gets brownie points from me cause he was ready to play last year and wasnt dressed for several games. Did he pout? Did he ever say one selfish word through the media? Nope. Instead he deferred to our inspirational leader and future hall of famer. We dont see a lot of that in professional sports today. Duce showed class last season and I will be rooting for him to succeed this season.... he truely deserves it.

If either gets injured V Haynes is waiting in the wings. Look he is our best pass blocking RB, he ran well when he was given opportunities the last two seasons.... and the Steelers resigned him when his contract ran out. That should tell us all something right there cause they arent afraid to let a guy leave via FA.

The nicest thing about our RB situation is our depth. Look around the league most teams realize you need more than one RB to contend for a Super Bowl and we have a lovely rotation of guys, including Danny K, who all excell at different things (speed, blocking, pass catching, etc) and fill much need roles for this team. We will miss the bus, but our RB's as a whole still remains in the top third of the league.

QUARTERBACK
Remember those worksheets you would get in 1st grade that would look ask you to pick out what doesnt fit.... Ex. a) Shoe b) Sock c) Sandle d) Boat
Well try this one... a) N ODonnell b) T Maddox c) K Stewert d) B Roethlisberger

He is getting more comfortable as a leader,
The FO is giving him more weapons to work with on O
And entering his 3rd yr, he is still getting better as a QB.....That is SCARY!!

OFFENSIVE LINE
Our line is not a question mark at all... Depth might be an issue. If an injury occurs we will be ok but would be operating at a lower level (much like midseason last yr). If we dont experience any serious injury to the O-line expect more of what we saw in 2004 and 2005.

If everything goes according to hoyle, we will have a top 3 or 4 offefnse in the AFC next season.... YOI & DOUBLE YOI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

83-Steelers-43
05-02-2006, 09:49 AM
If your going to look at the overall scheme of things, the Steeler philosophy on offense will remain the same.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06122/686674-66.stm

coachspeak33
05-02-2006, 09:57 AM
Oh it wont change at all ... just be more effective in my opinion.

IamTheSteelGod
05-02-2006, 01:09 PM
What's the stats on Holmes! How tall and heavey is he?

83-Steelers-43
05-02-2006, 01:12 PM
What's the stats on Holmes! How tall and heavey is he?

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/wr/santonioholmes.html

clevestinks
05-02-2006, 03:03 PM
I think our philosphy has already started changing. nothing drastic, but Cowher opened up the playbook and the passing game more and more as the season went on. Then all three playoff games Ben was on fire. We needed a fast deep threat. Saturday we got a fast deep threat

Black@Gold Forever32
05-02-2006, 03:12 PM
Cowher might pass more this year. They have the weapons to do so. But I expect the Steelers to still have a run/pass ratio of 55/45.

Big D
05-02-2006, 03:43 PM
i dont like this pick i think since we traded up we should have taken deangelo williams with this pick. I dont have any faith in willie parker and duce staley is injury prone

83-Steelers-43
05-02-2006, 04:14 PM
i dont like this pick

Definately in the minority on that one.

Haiku_Dirtt
05-02-2006, 04:24 PM
i dont like this pick i think since we traded up we should have taken deangelo williams with this pick. I dont have any faith in willie parker and duce staley is injury prone

I like the pick. If I had to do it all over again I'd still take LenDale. I don't trust Duce's knees.

Bottom line. If we can find a way to control the clock with who we have back there then I wouldn't be unhappy if Cowher lets Ben open it up a little.

If having Holmes means newfound depth at the receiver position then were we really that shallow before the draft? I don't think we were that shallow and I don't think we are that deep now. Heath Miller changes everything.

Black@Gold Forever32
05-02-2006, 04:45 PM
Don't trust Willie Parker? Thats crazy all Willie did last year was rush for 1200 yards with a 4.7 yards per carry average. Plus set a Super Bowl record with a 75 yard TD run. What does this guy have to do? Sure he isn't the power back that we are used to and will have his share of no gains or 1 yard runs. But on the very next play he can take it to the house.

Cowher never won the Super Bowl all those years with a power back. He finally won it with a speed back. Today's NFL is built around speed and the ability to score quick. Sure the running game is still important. You can't win without a running game. But sometimes you have to score quick. With Willie Parker and the added weapons in Holmes and Reid. The Steelers have gotten with the times and finally get it that speed kills.

shimmysteelerfan
05-02-2006, 04:51 PM
Don't trust Willie Parker? Thats crazy all Willie did last year was rush for 1200 yards with a 4.7 yards per carry average. Plus set a Super Bowl record with a 75 yard TD run. What does this guy have to do? Sure he isn't the power back that we are used to and will have his share of no gains or 1 yard runs. But on the very next play he can take it to the house.

Cowher never won the Super Bowl all those years with a power back. He finally won it with a speed back. Today's NFL is built around speed and the ability to score quick. Sure the running game is still important. You can't win without a running game. But sometimes you have to score quick. With Willie Parker and the added weapons in Holmes and Reid. The Steelers have gotten with the times and finally get it that speed kills.

That new found speed is what Cowher will use to make history and bring home that #6 ring.

Black@Gold Forever32
05-02-2006, 05:20 PM
Shimmy I agree totally.

BB2W
05-02-2006, 05:30 PM
I think the question is... How will Holmes effect the defense?

link: http://media.putfile.com/Holmes-block-for-Ginn

83-Steelers-43
05-02-2006, 05:33 PM
Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice. Thanks for the clip BB2W

SteelerFanInCA
05-04-2006, 05:39 PM

Man, he already hits like a Steeler. Looks like one tough hombre.

MasterOfPuppets
05-04-2006, 05:58 PM
cowher doesn't give him much credit for his blocking...

holmes-I'm feeling that is probably the main reason why the [Steelers] picked me, because of my ability to block and my toughness. I'm looking forward to getting in there, making plays and blocking.

cowher-He is an effort blocker.

Is he a physical player?
cowher -He tries to be. He's an aggressive player.

i guess bill missed that video clip...

http://news.steelers.com/article/63776/

tony hipchest
05-04-2006, 06:16 PM

i didnt know, but jack tatum went to osu and every year they give out the jack tatum award for the hardest hit of the season. s. holmes was the 1st offensive player to win the award.

from his interview after being drafted (he also mentions having a hines ward jersey hanging up at his house and how much he loves blocking):

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/s_449141.html

Q: Jack Tatum was a safety for Ohio State and the Oakland Raiders with a reputation for nasty hits. What was it like to become the first Ohio State offensive player to receive the Jack Tatum Award for best hit?

A: That's an award a lot of defensive players look to have. My coaches would tell people that I'm a great receiver, but what separates me is my ability to block.

dSharp
05-04-2006, 06:20 PM
Meh.. If you actually watch that interview, Cowher sings nothing but praises for Santonio. The fact that he's a smaller guy means he's going to have to adjust to the NFL when it comes to blocking, considering the faster, stronger players, etc. The Effort Blocker statement is actually a compliment. They know what he brings to the table, and they hope it translates to the NFL.

Haven't even had mini camp and already we got the Cowher haters. :)

MasterOfPuppets
05-04-2006, 06:30 PM
Meh.. If you actually watch that interview, Cowher sings nothing but praises for Santonio. The fact that he's a smaller guy means he's going to have to adjust to the NFL when it comes to blocking, considering the faster, stronger players, etc. The Effort Blocker statement is actually a compliment. They know what he brings to the table, and they hope it translates to the NFL.

Haven't even had mini camp and already we got the Cowher haters. :)
now how in the hell,did you translate what i said,into" cowher hater"??? of course cowher likes him,he wouldn't be here if he didn't. and i'm sorry but using words like trys,and effort just isn't the same as good or great in a praising sence.ever heard anyone call hines an effort blocker??

Suitanim
05-05-2006, 09:36 AM
I think Holmes will make the entire offense more effective simply because of his ability to stretch the field. Teams will have to pay attention to 2 WR's and a TE, where they really only needed to account for 1 WR and 1 TE last year. This will also make Ward and Miller more effective since this will free Ward up to run under and crossing routes, and Miller to run seam and scrape routes...the safeties will have to be careful not to let a deep threat like Holmes get behind them, and it will keep them honest back there.