PDA

View Full Version : trent dilfer wants out of cleveland

tony hipchest
05-02-2006, 02:21 PM
hed rather play for the 49ers. sure he has a house in fresno but can you blame him?

Suitanim
05-02-2006, 02:24 PM
Wow...they finally get an OL, and he wants to go play for another team without one.

I don't know what he was thinking. He was brought in as a stop-gap, to be a tutor and not make mistakes, and all of a sudden he wants to be the long-term starter in Cleveland?

pitt
05-02-2006, 03:33 PM
hed rather play for the 49ers. sure he has a house in fresno but can you blame him?

Nope

clevestinks
05-02-2006, 03:49 PM
BOO Hooo. Sorry Trent you seem like a nice ghy but oh well

kmsteelerwr15
05-02-2006, 04:07 PM
I don't even know why he wanted "IN" in the first place!

Ambridge
05-02-2006, 04:10 PM

With Trents bald head maybe he wants to go to San Francisco and pretend he's a retro Jeff Garcia??

Ohio Steeler
05-02-2006, 04:16 PM

I kind of thought this would happen after all from what I am hearing on the radio in columbus is fyre is there man.

so iut looks like we will get ti beat a 2nd year qb up 2 times this year.

BB2W
05-02-2006, 04:40 PM
trent dilfer wants out of cleveland
So do his teammates. :busted:

BlitzburghRockCity
05-02-2006, 06:57 PM
With Trents bald head maybe he wants to go to San Francisco and pretend he's a retro Jeff Garcia??

:toofunny: :toofunny:

Maybe they can bring TO back together and have a big ole family reunion :dang:

RoethlisBURGHer
05-02-2006, 07:05 PM
The guy isn't a starter in this league anymore.Maybe in the arena league where the field is cut in half,but not in the NFL.

After being as bad as he was last year,does he really expect to start?They drafted Frye for a reason and left him in there at the end of the season when Dilfer could have come back.Yeah,Frye got killed 41-0 against us...but it woulda been worse if Dilfer had started.

Ohio Steeler
05-02-2006, 07:08 PM
:toofunny: :toofunny:

Maybe they can bring TO back together and have a big ole family reunion :dang:

oh god that would be funny

j-dawg
05-03-2006, 09:40 AM
i'm not surprised trent wants to leave... phil and romeo have been saying that the qb position is open... but i don't see trent out performing frye. i thought dilfer performed well his first three games last season.... after the bye we played chicago, in which he sucked the entire game until the last minutes of the fourth where he miraculously threw for two touchdowns in 47 seconds! they were long balls, and on target.
there was one play that really summed up his problem last year... aaron shea ran a short route through the middle, trent had no pressure and he over threw him... a leaping 6'3'' tight end... by at least four feet! i started to think that he was either drunk or he's got problems with his field perception... the next few games baltimore, detroit, and houston was more of dilfer over throwing receivers.... it didn't help that the few times he was on target, they'd be dropped.... i think he's a good guy, but if he thinks he doesn't have to prove his ability, than maybe he is a drunk!

j-dawg
05-03-2006, 09:48 AM
Who wouldn't want out of the Mistake By The Lake??

But when someone would rather be in San Francisco? That's REALLY bad!!!!!

:rofl: :laughing: :excited: :grin:

the "mistake by the lake" ....

my, have i missed the old names :old:

i bet every time you say it, you let loose in your depends!!

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e250/veryprofane/12405841.jpg

clevestinks
05-03-2006, 03:08 PM
What makes a second string QB think he can pick a team??

browns fans, would do you think? you need this guy to stay, Frye needs a veteran around,

tony hipchest
05-03-2006, 04:28 PM
What makes a second string QB think he can pick a team??

browns fans, would do you think? you need this guy to stay, Frye needs a veteran around,

browns will just pick up tommy maddox

Ohio Steeler
05-03-2006, 04:59 PM
browns will just pick up tommy maddox

LOL

oh I wish that was true

clevestinks
05-04-2006, 03:29 PM
cleveland Plain Dealer reports that a trade is almost complete for Dilfer to go to San Fran.

Ohio Steeler
05-04-2006, 03:32 PM
cleveland Plain Dealer reports that a trade is almost complete for Dilfer to go to San Fran.

Here is the story from the plain dealer.

Thursday, May 04, 2006
Mary Kay Cabot
Plain Dealer Reporter

The Browns and 49ers are talking about a trade for quarterback Trent Dilfer, a league source said Wednesday.

It could be done within the next day or two, the source said. The 49ers are interested in Dilfer as a backup to Alex Smith, the first pick of the 2005 draft.

Dilfer, who was at odds with Browns offensive coordinator Maurice Carthon last season, would be closer to his hometown of Fresno, Calif., and reportedly wants out of Cleveland.

Problem is, the Browns need a backup/mentor for Charlie Frye.

The Browns and 49ers have had preliminary discussions recently, but talks have resumed in the past couple of days. A trade could have been completed over the weekend, but the Browns were unable to trade for Detroit quarterback Joey Harrington or Raiders backup Marques Tuiasosopo. Harrington wanted to go to Miami instead, and the Raiders told the Browns no when they called Sunday about acquiring Tuiasosopo, according to the San Jose Mercury News.

The 49ers tried to acquire Dilfer from Seattle last off-season, but offered only a sixth-round pick. The Browns offered a fourth-rounder and a chance for Dilfer to start right away. He then a signed a four-year, $8 million deal with the Brownss.

Browns General Manager Phil Savage did not return a phone message Wednesday.

Other available quarterbacks include Jay Fiedler, Kerry Collins and Gus Frerotte. Fiedler's agent, Brian Levy, said he has not heard from the Browns. The 49ers might also be willing to trade backup Ken Dorsey.

Dilfer went 4-7 as a starter for the Browns last season and is recovering from surgery to repair a torn tendon in his knee.

To reach this Plain Dealer reporter:

MasterOfPuppets
05-04-2006, 03:51 PM
jay fiedler would be a good fit in san fran...he's got those pistol grip ears....:sofunny:

Stlrs4Life
05-04-2006, 09:04 PM
Per Soloman Wilcotts and Schein on Sirius radio today. the Clowns will trade Dilfer to the 49ers and then sign Collins. Not a smart move, Dilfer is a much better backup and mentor for Frye but I guess Collins will be their starter, interceptions for everyone.

j-dawg
05-04-2006, 10:56 PM
well, it's official... dilfer goes to san fran and we get dorsey and an undisclosed 2007 draft pick....

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news_room/news/arts/5376.0.html

HburgXL06
05-04-2006, 11:08 PM
well, it's official... dilfer goes to san fran and we get dorsey and an undisclosed 2007 draft pick....

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news_room/news/arts/5376.0.html

Just wonderin man, from a browns fan's point of view. How are you feelin bout all of this? I mean I know you got confidence in your man Frye (sp) but how you feelin bout the replacement and how it will affect your season this year? Just wonderin and lookin for some inside insight. Peace.

BuFu

j-dawg
05-04-2006, 11:16 PM
i think frye is our quarterback, i thought dilfer was a good mentor, but apparently he didn't want to stay... savage didn't want a quarterback controversy (f'ing A we've had enough of those) so he get's a seventh round pick and a younger, mediocre quarterback... we gave up 8 mil and a 4th pick for dilfer last year... so i think it's the shortend, but ultimately better for us... although, i think we're going to have to find us a veteran qb before the season starts....

SteelerDan43
05-04-2006, 11:25 PM
i think frye is our quarterback, i thought dilfer was a good mentor, but apparently he didn't want to stay... savage didn't want a quarterback controversy (f'ing A we've had enough of those) so he get's a seventh round pick and a younger, mediocre quarterback... we gave up 8 mil and a 4th pick for dilfer last year... so i think it's the shortend, but ultimately better for us... although, i think we're going to have to find us a veteran qb before the season starts....

Well I think Couch is still on the market! LOL :busted:

Ohio Steeler
05-04-2006, 11:32 PM
Browns trade Dilfer to Niners for Dorsey, draft pick

The San Francisco 49ers acquired a proven backup quarterback for Alex Smith, getting Trent Dilfer from the Cleveland Browns on Thursday in a trade for quarterback Ken Dorsey and, according to ESPN.com's John Clayton, a seventh-round pick in the 2007 draft.

Dilfer, who won a Super Bowl with Baltimore in 2001, will give the 49ers depth behind Smith, who struggled as a rookie last season after being the No. 1 overall pick in the 2005 draft.

"Trent was a player we had interest in last season," 49ers coach Mike Nolan said in a statement. "We were looking for a veteran quarterback with experience that could help mentor Alex Smith. Trent fits the bill on both counts and we are excited to have him with the 49ers."

Dilfer signed a four-year deal with the Browns last year after stints with the Ravens and Seattle Seahawks. He went 4-7 as Browns starter before losing the job to rookie Charlie Frye. Dilfer completed 59.8 percent of his passes last season for 2,321 yards, with 11 touchdowns and 12 interceptions.

"Trent Dilfer played an important role in the making over of our football team last year," Browns general manager Phil Savage said in a statement. "At this point, to add Ken Dorsey and to give Trent the opportunity to go back home to California is a win-win for all parties."

Dilfer, who played in college at Fresno State, has started 107 career games, throwing for 106 touchdowns and 117 interceptions. He made the Pro Bowl with Tampa Bay in 1997 after passing for 2,555 yards and 21 touchdowns.

Dorsey started 10 games in his three years in San Francisco, including three last season. He completed 48-of-90 passes for 481 yards, two touchdowns and two interceptions in 2005.

Cody Pickett is San Francisco's third-string quarterback and the team also drafted Michael Robinson in the fourth round last month. Robinson, a quarterback in college at Penn State, is expected to mostly be used as a running back, receiver or kick returner in San Francisco.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

j-dawg
05-04-2006, 11:32 PM
"Well I think Couch is still on the market!"

yikes!

Ohio Steeler
05-04-2006, 11:34 PM
so j-dawg as a Browns fan are u happy with this trade ?

SteelShooter
05-04-2006, 11:39 PM
Per Soloman Wilcotts and Schein on Sirius radio today. the Clowns will trade Dilfer to the 49ers and then sign Collins. Not a smart move, Dilfer is a much better backup and mentor for Frye but I guess Collins will be their starter, interceptions for everyone.

Woo-Hooooooooooooooooooooo ! ! ! ! ! ! !

See! The Clowns aren't that bad after all! They love us so much that they are just trying to make the season as easy as they can for us! Easy pick-offs for the new Safeties on our "D."
:funny: :funny: :funny: :funny: :funny: :funny:

j-dawg
05-04-2006, 11:43 PM
Woo-Hooooooooooooooooooooo ! ! ! ! ! ! !

See! The Clowns aren't that bad after all! They love us so much that they are just trying to make the season as easy as they can for us! Easy pick-offs for the new Safeties on our "D."
:funny: :funny: :funny: :funny: :funny: :funny:

if we had dilfer in it'd been easy pick-offs... that's for sure...

Suitanim
05-05-2006, 08:24 AM
Wow...Ken Dorsey is a pretty awful option. Luckily for the Browns, Frye is almost Favre-tough.

CantStop85
05-05-2006, 07:05 PM
If Frye's the real deal, then it's a pretty good move...it's a big leap of faith in Frye for the Browns organization...they should still consider signing another veteran QB, though...I think Jamie Martin would be a good option.

clevestinks
05-05-2006, 08:05 PM
If Frye's the real deal, then it's a pretty good move...it's a big leap of faith in Frye for the Browns organization...they should still consider signing another veteran QB, though...I think Jamie Martin would be a good option.
I totally disagree, even if Frye is the answer, he now has NO veteran QB to teach him, nobody to confide in on the sidelines. This is a step back for the browns, and if McNair goes to the ravens, its a step up for them.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-05-2006, 08:07 PM
Frye is supposed to be their future so they're gonna sink or swim with him...

I wonder how deep the mistaken lake is :laughing:

clevestinks
05-05-2006, 08:21 PM

Plenty deep, plenty of room for more busts, it beats the river that caught on fire there! LOL

Ohio Steeler
05-06-2006, 09:05 AM

Not very deep from what I hear :sofunny: I do belive that Fyre will be cleveland's next Couch and what I mean by that is they are going to burn him out fast...

j-dawg
05-06-2006, 12:05 PM
Not very deep from what I hear :sofunny: I do belive that Fyre will be cleveland's next Couch and what I mean by that is they are going to burn him out fast...

wow speculation runs deep on this thread.... and this post has got to be the most shallow in thought... unlike couch, frye has an offensive line that'll be able to protect him... "Charlie has worked hard this spring," Savage said. "He's been here every day, basically from sunup to sundown. He's emerged as a leader." that's something couch never did. it's no mistake savage didn't pick a qb in the draft.... he'll be great by the lake, it's erie that so many think frye has no talent.... hehehehe....

Suitanim
05-06-2006, 06:19 PM
But the problem remains...if he goes down, suddenly you are looking at Ken Dorsey as your starter. I don't think I can stress strongly enough how risky that will be...if Frye goes down, the Browns may not win another game.

j-dawg
05-06-2006, 08:08 PM
i hear ya... that's why i'm hoping we'll get a vet before the season starts... i just don't agree that frye will be burnt out like couch was...

Suitanim
05-06-2006, 08:19 PM
Hey, I graduated from Akron, and went to more than a few Zips games. I know Charlie is the real deal...

clevestinks
05-06-2006, 09:12 PM
Hey, I graduated from Akron, and went to more than a few Zips games. I know Charlie is the real deal...
But if yoy would have gone to Kentucky, you would have thought Couch was the real deal, its cleveland

Ohio Steeler
05-06-2006, 10:00 PM
ok I never said he was not a good QB, I just think with no veteran QB to help him along I see him becoming nothin but a waste of talent because he will get burned out fast from all the sacks he is going to take and all of the INT's he will throw, not all young QB's get as lucky as Ben Roethlisberger and step into and an already groomed offence.

Only time will tell and I hope he makes it and proves me wrong..

j-dawg
05-07-2006, 11:35 AM
so there's some talk that Vinny Testeverde might be coming to cleveland... with Jeff Blake, Shane Matthews, Tony Banks, Jay Fiedler and Kerry Collins still available, well, i'd take Vinny 'cause of his Cleveland ties... he was here when the team left... be nice if he's here when the team has it's first respectable season since coming back.

j-dawg
05-07-2006, 11:38 AM
ok I never said he was not a good QB, I just think with no veteran QB to help him along I see him becoming nothin but a waste of talent because he will get burned out fast from all the sacks he is going to take and all of the INT's he will throw, not all young QB's get as lucky as Ben Roethlisberger and step into and an already groomed offence.

Only time will tell and I hope he makes it and proves me wrong..

i think this season you're going to see a cleveland offensive line that won't allow a lot of sacks. that's what i think.

Cape Cod Steel Head
05-07-2006, 11:49 AM
so there's some talk that Vinny Testeverde might be coming to cleveland... with Jeff Blake, Shane Matthews, Tony Banks, Jay Fiedler and Kerry Collins still available, well, i'd take Vinny 'cause of his Cleveland ties... he was here when the team left... be nice if he's here when the team has it's first respectable season since coming back.I for one would love to see Vinny Testicle come back to Cleveland!:bouncy:

Suitanim
05-08-2006, 08:10 AM
I actually think that Couch was a much better QB than he was ever given credit for. He played on a team that never addressed the offensive line, they tried to convert him out of his natural WCO and then moved him back into it again, and then he was injured (and what a shock THAT was...a QB who gets hit 20 times a game suffering serious injury).

If he would have played on an established WCO offensive team, he'd still be playing, and playing well.

j-dawg
05-08-2006, 11:13 AM
I actually think that Couch was a much better QB than he was ever given credit for. He played on a team that never addressed the offensive line, they tried to convert him out of his natural WCO and then moved him back into it again, and then he was injured (and what a shock THAT was...a QB who gets hit 20 times a game suffering serious injury).

If he would have played on an established WCO offensive team, he'd still be playing, and playing well.

i feel the same way... couch got dismantled in the outback bowl after the penn defense adapted to his no huddle offense... he'd never be able to run a no huddle or sit in a protected pocket with the browns and run any kind of offense at the time he came into the team... i think mcnabb was better suited for our needs, but he wouldn't have been able to do a whole lot more... it was a crummy situation from the get go for any player.

Suitanim
05-08-2006, 12:05 PM
And I don't have QB bias...I'm a HUGE OSU fan, and I didn't think Can't Graham should have been playing QB in the NFL, I didn't think Joe Germaine should have been playing in the NFL, I don't think Craig Krenzel should be playing NFL QB, and I am positive, regardless of how great a season he has, wins a championship or not, wins the Heisman or not, Troy Smith should not play QB in the NFL.

But Charlie Frye is an NFL quarterback.

clevestinks
05-08-2006, 02:38 PM
Vinnie is older thna Julio Franco!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tony hipchest
05-08-2006, 04:58 PM
a "dilfer" sounds like a slang term for a "reach-around"

boLT fan
05-08-2006, 05:00 PM
a "dilfer" sounds like a slang term for a "reach-around"

LMAO! I think I just pee'd a little. :sofunny: :sofunny: :sofunny: :sofunny: :sofunny: