PDA

View Full Version : Bradshaw to Roethlisberger: 'I got your back'

Deserei90
02-01-2011, 04:15 PM
By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, February 1, 2011
Last updated: 5:10 pm

Read more: Bradshaw to Roethlisberger: 'I got your back' - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_720834.html#ixzz1CkRKmvT8

FORT WORTH, Texas — Peace has apparently been made between Terry Bradshaw and Ben Roethlisberger.

The quarterbacks that have combined to win all six of the Steelers’ Super Bowls yet have had a chilly relationship talked privately today at Super Bowl Media Day and hugged afterward.

“We both came to a conclusion that we’re Steelers and we’re part of that family and I encouraged him and yesterday is yesterday and I got his back and I support him 100 percent,” said Bradshaw, an NFL analyst for FOX.

Bradshaw, one of only two quarterbacks to win four Super Bowls, has been critical of Roethlisberger in the past. He was particularly hard on Roethlisberger after the latter was accused of a sexual assault last March by a 20-year-old college student in Milledgeville, Ga.

Bradshaw has said on several occasions that Steelers founder Art Rooney would not have tolerated a second incident — Roethlisberger was also accused of sexual assault in a civil lawsuit filed in July of 2009 in Reno, Nev. — and traded or released him.

“I think Terry maybe spoke a little too soon without knowing some of the things and facts,” Roethlisberger said today. “He’s entitled to his opinion, he works for the media.”

Roethlisberger said his private chat with Bradshaw, which preceded a one-on-one interview with FOX, is the most the two have ever spoken.

“It was a good talk so I think everything’s good,” Roethlisberger said.

Bradshaw said he told Roethlisberger that he didn’t mean to hurt him with past comments. Bradshaw, however, said giving his opinion his part of his job and that he won’t hesitate to criticize Roethlisberger in the future if it is warranted.

“But I said, ‘I got your back and I’m here for you. I want you to break my records, I want you to win more Super Bowls than anybody and there’s no greater honor than for me to present you and the Rooney family another Super Bowl Trophy,’ ” Bradshaw said.

Letting byegones, be byegones:thumbsup:

Buddha Bus
02-01-2011, 04:20 PM
That is great to hear. I'm glad Terry is swallowing some of his pride and reaching out to Ben like this. I'm guessing Terry's decision was made much easier in light of the bullshit Goodell has been saying in the media concerning Ben. Looks like the Steelers family is circling the wagons. I pity Green Bay. :tt04::tt03:

Atlanta Dan
02-01-2011, 04:22 PM
Bradshaw really must think nobody outside of New York can use those tubes for that internet thing to read that interview Bradshaw gave to The New York Post that was published this week:noidea:

Bob Smizik says TB is the biggest phony in the history of Pittsburgh sports and Bradshaw keeps trying to prove it

kirklandrules
02-01-2011, 04:23 PM
So by stating "I got your back", does that mean Bradshaw pulled out the knife he planted in Ben back? Or maybe this is like grade school where the two kids who constantly fight become best friends when they put their differences aside. Brings a tear to my eyes :crying01:

Deserei90
02-01-2011, 04:25 PM
He really must think nobody outside of New York can use those tubes for that internet thing to read The New York Post:noidea:

Bob Smizik says TB is the biggest phony in the history of Pittsburgh sports and Bradshaw keeps trying to prove itAs long he doesn't trash talk Ben, that's all that matters to me

PhantomJB93
02-01-2011, 04:29 PM
Between his quest for redemption and now his reconciliation with and the support he's getting from Terry, I simply can't see anything less than an elite performance from #7 this Sunday. He has to be more motivated right now than any QB in SB history.

SeinfeldNut
02-01-2011, 04:38 PM
Only time will tell if this "clearing the air" meeting actually really means anything in term of their relationship with each other.

Atlanta Dan
02-01-2011, 04:39 PM
Between his quest for redemption and now his reconciliation with and the support he's getting from Terry, I simply can't see anything less than an elite performance from #7 this Sunday. He has to be more motivated right now than any QB in SB history.

I bet Roethlisberger does not give a damn whether or not Bradshaw has decided, at least until the interview is over, to support him

SH-Rock
02-01-2011, 04:42 PM
I think we're all missing the bigger picture of this. If Terry has Ben's back, and we all know these guys hated each other, then this means Ben is a better person. I'm pretty sure the Rooney's are very happy about this.

PhantomJB93
02-01-2011, 04:44 PM
I bet Roethlisberger does not give a damn whether or not Bradshaw has decided, at least until the interview is over, to support him

Put yourself in his shoes for a second. If the former face of your franchise, who everybody always compares you to and is in the HOF and is legendary among football fans and your own fans and has never been supporitve of you, suddenly came up to you the week before the Super Bowl and apologized and said "I got your back" and all that, how could you not care?

Ben may have done some shady stuff in the past, but you would literally have to not have a soul for that to not motivate/affect you.

Dino 6 Rings
02-01-2011, 04:46 PM
the Steelers Hall of Fame, 4 time SB Champion QB will be interviewing the current Franchise 2 time (pending 3) winning QB on Fox before the Super Bowl...to the Haters on the other 31 teams fans bases. HA! Take that, watch it, enjoy it, and then...Suck it Bitttches!

Atlanta Dan
02-01-2011, 04:53 PM
Put yourself in his shoes for a second. If the former face of your franchise, who everybody always compares you to and is in the HOF and is legendary among football fans and your own fans and has never been supporitve of you, suddenly came up to you the week before the Super Bowl and apologized and said "I got your back" and all that, how could you not care?

Ben may have done some shady stuff in the past, but you would literally have to not have a soul for that to not motivate/affect you.

Because he had been trashing me in the past week. If Bradshaw had been under radio silence since he said Ben should have been traded several months ago, that would be one thing - but this interview was published two (2) days ago - he praised Roethlisberger's talents as a QB but made these comments about Roethlisberger as a person

Q: Your relationship with Ben Roethlisberger?

A: I don't know him. My sense is he doesn't like me. I sense being around him, he doesn't care anything about me or getting to know me.

Q: What did you tell reporters who asked you years back about what you thought of him riding his motorcycle?

A: "Park the motorbike. You can ride it when the season's over. You can drive it into a wall when you retire, nobody will care." Four months later he had that wreck, remember? We don't even have a relationship.

Q: Does that bother you?

A: No! I'm 62 years old, you kiddin' me? The only thing I care about is my family.

Q: Will you sit down with him this week?

A: I've been told we're trying to sit down with him. I'm not sure that he'll sit down with me. I want to sit down and interview him.

Q: What would you ask him?

A: I'll obviously bring up the past offseason, and how it affected his life, and the transition he's made. I'll ask him about everything you think I should ask him about. It could be when I bring it up, he'll tell me, "It's none of your [bleeping] business. I think I have to ask that question and have him tell me to "kiss my [bleep]" . . . It's not personal.

Q: If Art Rooney owned the Steelers, would Big Ben still be the quarterback?

A: I believe if the old man had been alive, he would have traded him. He would not have put up with that

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_sports/serby_sunday_with_terry_bradshaw_WgvkieuXPDixL4MzP a5BfO

Note that Bradshaw claimed to the Post he did not know if he would interview Roethlisberger - bullshit - amazing how that got worked out so quickly:hunch:

MasterOfPuppets
02-01-2011, 05:03 PM
screw that ... after the way bradshaw ran his mouth ...if i were Ben , i wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire.

fer522
02-01-2011, 05:14 PM
screw that ... after the way bradshaw ran his mouth ...if i were Ben , i wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

:tt03: :tt03: :tt03:

Dino 6 Rings
02-01-2011, 05:15 PM
oh sure its all Bradshaw's fault that Ben was acting like schmuck fcking drunk college girls in bathrooms of cheap low level clubs in bumbfck Georgia...sure thing fellas...thats all on Terry.

TRH
02-01-2011, 05:15 PM
i don't know.....i'm still on the fence about Bradshaw. I really don't like the guy, but if he IS making amends and peace with both Ben and the city of Pittsburgh, that would be great news.

Dino 6 Rings
02-01-2011, 05:17 PM
Terry already made peace with the City of Pittsburgh a few years ago on a Monday Night game.

was a great moment for the Franchise.

Now Ben and Terry getting along, the week before Super Bowl #7...just part of the Master Plan of Domination. That's all it is. Steelers Forever, Past and Present, One Nation!!!

Atlanta Dan
02-01-2011, 05:29 PM
oh sure its all Bradshaw's fault that Ben was acting like schmuck fcking drunk college girls in bathrooms of cheap low level clubs in bumbfck Georgia...sure thing fellas...thats all on Terry.

Roethlisberger has everything that is coming to him in terms of people calling him a jerk and worse - what we know he did in Milledgeville with a drunk college girl was reprehensible for a 28 year old man

But with respect to Bradshaw, don't call me out on Sunday and pretend you are my best buddy and friend forever on Tuesday

Just like Roethlisberger had a past track record of arrogant behavior prior to Milledgeville that cost him any benefit of the doubt for many people, Bradshaw has a long history of being two faced.

This was the finale of Bradhaw's induction speech at Canton in August 1989

God, this has just been great. [points to the sky and looks up] Art Rooney… [wild applause] … boy, I loved that man. I... I... I know you're watching, Art. I love ya'. You were always, always by me. I love ya' so much! Thank you.

http://www.mcmillenandwife.com/bradshaw_speech.html

Art Rooney passed in August 1988 - Bradshaw "loved that man" so much he did not come to pay his respects at The Chief's funeral. Now Bradshaw has the chutzpah to claim The Chief would have traded Roethlisberger - screw him.

SteelersinCA
02-01-2011, 05:36 PM
the Steelers Hall of Fame, 4 time SB Champion QB will be interviewing the current Franchise 2 time (pending 3) winning QB on Fox before the Super Bowl...to the Haters on the other 31 teams fans bases. HA! Take that, watch it, enjoy it, and then...Suck it Bitttches!

This!:tt04:

Dino 6 Rings
02-01-2011, 05:41 PM
Art Rooney passed in August 1988 - Bradshaw "loved that man" so much he did not come to pay his respects at The Chief's funeral. Now Bradshaw has the chutzpah to claim The Chief would have traded Roethlisberger - screw him.

and in Terry's Book, he apologized for that...

"I deeply regret not having attended Mr. Rooney's funeral. Art Rooney was one of the finest human beings I've ever known. When he died I decided not to go to the funeral because I hadn't been in Pittsburgh in a long time and it didn't seem to be the right time to go. I'm sorry I didn't go."

That's an exact quote from Terry's Book 'Its Only A Game'

I have it, I would recommend it to any Steelers fan.

Atlanta Dan
02-01-2011, 05:50 PM

"I deeply regret not having attended Mr. Rooney's funeral. Art Rooney was one of the finest human beings I've ever known. When he died I decided not to go to the funeral because I hadn't been in Pittsburgh in a long time and it didn't seem to be the right time to go. I'm sorry I didn't go."

If he decided not go to the funeral that was his call - the trade off is do not claim less than a year later your boundless love for the deceased as the grand finale of a speech.

Bradshaw apparently has the attention span of an 8 year old on Ritalin and thinks the rest of the world does as well

Neil-Still-Rules-14
02-01-2011, 05:51 PM

So Bradshaw has done things he regrets too?

Dino 6 Rings
02-01-2011, 05:57 PM
So Bradshaw has done things he regrets too?

absolutely, he's been divorced 3 times as well. Bradshaw has plenty of regrets. He's human, he's made mistakes. As has Ben, and most Men, athletes or not.

However, Ben was accused of Sexual Assault...not once, but twice. And though he denied the assault, he did not deny being alone with either woman, and did put himself into suspect situations he should have been more aware of the potential disaster that could come from each.

Steelrule
02-01-2011, 06:19 PM
It's because Ben is from Ohio. He's really a spy planted on the Steelers by the Browns and Bengals to bring shame to the Steelers organization. They know they can't beat the Steelers on the field so, the beat them off!

Dino 6 Rings
02-01-2011, 06:28 PM
It's because Ben is from Ohio. He's really a spy planted on the Steelers by the Browns and Bengals to bring shame to the Steelers organization. They know they can't beat the Steelers on the field so, the beat them off!

I'm not sure that sentance ended the way you hoped it would LMAO!

:rofl: :flap:

Neil-Still-Rules-14
02-01-2011, 06:31 PM
absolutely, he's been divorced 3 times as well. Bradshaw has plenty of regrets. He's human, he's made mistakes. As has Ben, and most Men, athletes or not.

However, Ben was accused of Sexual Assault...not once, but twice. And though he denied the assault, he did not deny being alone with either woman, and did put himself into suspect situations he should have been more aware of the potential disaster that could come from each.

Yes i agree with everything here. I'm just saying, Bradshaw of all people should be able to help Ben out and lead him in the right direction instead of being an all-around douche and just saying he's disgraced the Steelers organization and should have been traded and whatnot.

Dino 6 Rings
02-01-2011, 06:36 PM
Yes i agree with everything here. I'm just saying, Bradshaw of all people should be able to help Ben out and lead him in the right direction instead of being an all-around douche and just saying he's disgraced the Steelers organization and should have been traded and whatnot.

and now, Terry has the opportunity to do just that, and help to keep Ben grounded and guide him forward and away from a 3rd mistake.

its really a Win Win for the Franchise and for Steelers fans.

ONE STEELERS NATION!

43Hitman
02-01-2011, 06:36 PM

hahahahaahahaha:laughing:

vasteeler
02-01-2011, 06:41 PM

:toofunny:

tanda10506
02-01-2011, 06:41 PM
Roethlisberger has everything that is coming to him in terms of people calling him a jerk and worse - what we know he did in Milledgeville with a drunk college girl was reprehensible for a 28 year old man.

I think it's funny how everybody acts like they wouldn't. I don't want to step on any toes here, but every non-married man on this forum 30 or under after drinking a bunch of beer would not get it on with a presumably attractive college girl who was of the legal age and had been drinking also. Really??? Come on. Who's casting the first stone on this one?

Atlanta Dan
02-01-2011, 06:58 PM
I think it's funny how everybody acts like they wouldn't. I don't want to step on any toes here, but every non-married man on this forum 30 or under after drinking a bunch of beer would not get it on with a presumably attractive college girl who was of the legal age and had been drinking also. Really??? Come on. Who's casting the first stone on this one?

If you were 28 would you be hanging out in college bars and taking dead drunk sorority girls under the legal drinking age for whom you bought drinks into the bathroom?

Really?

And if you were a 28 year old two time Super Bowl winning QB with a $100 million contract and a pending civil suit for sexual assault you would take a dead drunk sorority girl into the bathroom?

Really?

Neil-Still-Rules-14
02-01-2011, 07:12 PM
If you were 28 would you be hanging out in college bars and taking dead drunk sorority girls under the legal drinking age for whom you bought drinks into the bathroom?

Really?

And if you were a 28 year old two time Super Bowl winning QB with a $100 million contract and a pending civil suit for sexual assault you would take a dead drunk sorority girl into the bathroom?

Really?

She had a fake ID saying she was 23 just for the record. And according to Willie Colon she was pinching Ben, trying to get his attention, and following him around all night.

Not justifying what Ben did, but let's take all the facts into account.

Atlanta Dan
02-01-2011, 07:36 PM
She had a fake ID saying she was 23 just for the record. And according to Willie Colon she was pinching Ben, trying to get his attention, and following him around all night.

Not justifying what Ben did, but let's take all the facts into account.

I guess it's a matter of personal taste - when I was single drunk sorority girls and college bars pretty much lost their appeal for me after i was no longer a drunk frat boy and certainly after I was done with law school and had a job where I could party with women in their 20s who were past wearing DTF stickers on their clothes

If I was a multi-millionaire professional athlete I cannot fathom why i would go to college bars in ffreaking Milledgeville - Atlanta was not that long a drive for the chartered bus from Ben's place at Lake Oconee

theplatypus
02-01-2011, 07:54 PM
Roethlisberger has everything that is coming to him in terms of people calling him a jerk and worse - what we know he did in Milledgeville with a drunk college girl was reprehensible for a 28 year old man

But with respect to Bradshaw, don't call me out on Sunday and pretend you are my best buddy and friend forever on Tuesday

Just like Roethlisberger had a past track record of arrogant behavior prior to Milledgeville that cost him any benefit of the doubt for many people, Bradshaw has a long history of being two faced.

This was the finale of Bradhaw's induction speech at Canton in August 1989

God, this has just been great. [points to the sky and looks up] Art Rooney… [wild applause] … boy, I loved that man. I... I... I know you're watching, Art. I love ya'. You were always, always by me. I love ya' so much! Thank you.

http://www.mcmillenandwife.com/bradshaw_speech.html

Does that really fall into the calling out category for you? He was asked a direct question and gave a direct answer. In fact the answer was almost identical to the one he gave last year when asked the same question. I'm guessing you would prefer him dancing around it like most.

lexingtonsteelersfan
02-01-2011, 08:58 PM
This is all about Bradshaw's and his ego and has nothing to with Ben and his. That's it it's pretty simple. I don't dislike Bradshaw for that but he is jealous of Big Ben as he always wanted to be the 4 Super Bowl golden boy forever.

SteelMember
02-01-2011, 09:24 PM
I don't think Ben and Terry ever got off on the right foot to begin with. Terry, in the beginning, probably would have enjoyed mentoring a young, talented Roethlisberger, but Ben didn't kneel at the alter that is the Bradshaw legacy. His early success re-enforced a bit of a brash attitude. Him saying he was "going to beat all his records" clearly rubbed Terry the wrong way to begin with. He thought, and probably should have, got a little more respect for being a "hero" in the history of the franchise.

And actually, Ben could have been very tongue in cheek with those remarks... but he clearly didn't use the /sarcasm smiley if he was.

pittguy578
02-01-2011, 10:43 PM

I don't do funerals. I am a religious person, and I believe there soul is in a better place.
I say a prayer for them.

pittguy578
02-01-2011, 10:49 PM
I don't think Ben and Terry ever got off on the right foot to begin with. Terry, in the beginning, probably would have enjoyed mentoring a young, talented Roethlisberger, but Ben didn't kneel at the alter that is the Bradshaw legacy. His early success re-enforced a bit of a brash attitude. Him saying he was "going to beat all his records" clearly rubbed Terry the wrong way to begin with. He thought, and probably should have, got a little more respect for being a "hero" in the history of the franchise.

And actually, Ben could have been very tongue in cheek with those remarks... but he clearly didn't use the /sarcasm smiley if he was.

I don't think Ben got off on the right foot with anyone including his teammates. I mean from the way they talked..it appeared his teammates strictly had a business relationship with him..Sepulveda said his locker was right beside Ben's and Ben didn't even talk to him..Hines said he never really knew what was going on in Ben's head...Even Coach Cowher tried to talk to Ben and warn him, and Ben didn't listen.
Ben was on a bad path. I think it was ok for Terry to criticize him..Ben kept on putting himself in bad positions. Finally Ben had a wakeup call this season and turned his life around. I think the change is for real..

As an aside..As someone that personally suffers from social anxiety, I think Ben had it as well and used alcohol to help him out in social situations. I have no troubles peforming when I need to put a gameface on and get a job done, but in other situations I am shy..I think Ben's problem was more with the bottle than any personal deficits..I watched the "America's Game" on the 2008 Steelers on the NFL network the other night, and Ben looked bad in his segments..overweight..not healthy..etc

saveus1011
02-01-2011, 11:29 PM
So glad the reconciled.

Velvet Elvis
02-02-2011, 11:38 AM
Terry Bradshaw and Ben Roethlisberger hug it out

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on February 2, 2011, 12:12 PM EST

The tired Ben Roethlisberger redemption train has rolled into Dallas, with Roethlisberger surprisingly unwilling to reflect much on his personal journey over the last year.

The Steelers quarterback is willing to open up to the right source, though. Ron Cook of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette wrote a revealing piece last week, and Big Ben spent part of his Tuesday making up with Terry Bradshaw of FOX.

Bradshaw was one of Roethlisberger’s sharpest critics after his latest sexual assault allegations. Roethlisberger was so upset with Bradshaw over the summer that he refused to shake his hand at Steelers training camp.

Dan Wetzel of Yahoo! Sports writes that the FOX crew was on edge with Roethlisberger coming to their set Tuesday. Bradshaw decided to clear the interview room out (camera men and producers left too) could talk one-on-one alone.

Bradshaw came away believing Roethlisberger has truly changed.

“Of course people say, ‘Oh, it’s not real,’” Bradshaw told Wetzel. “I think it’s totally real.”

We are suspicious of any amateur psychological evaluations after a brief media appearance — positive or negative. But it’s newsworthy that the two Steelers Super Bowl winning quarterbacks are getting along again. (Their conversation ended with a hug.)

“I encouraged him that yesterday is yesterday and that I have his back and I support him 100 percent,” Bradshaw said. “But if he screws up again . . . I’ll do it again.”

SteelCityMom
02-02-2011, 11:53 AM
Terry Bradshaw and Ben Roethlisberger hug it out

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on February 2, 2011, 12:12 PM EST

The tired Ben Roethlisberger redemption train has rolled into Dallas, with Roethlisberger surprisingly unwilling to reflect much on his personal journey over the last year.

The Steelers quarterback is willing to open up to the right source, though. Ron Cook of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette wrote a revealing piece last week, and Big Ben spent part of his Tuesday making up with Terry Bradshaw of FOX.

Bradshaw was one of Roethlisberger’s sharpest critics after his latest sexual assault allegations. Roethlisberger was so upset with Bradshaw over the summer that he refused to shake his hand at Steelers training camp.

Dan Wetzel of Yahoo! Sports writes that the FOX crew was on edge with Roethlisberger coming to their set Tuesday. Bradshaw decided to clear the interview room out (camera men and producers left too) could talk one-on-one alone.

Bradshaw came away believing Roethlisberger has truly changed.

“Of course people say, ‘Oh, it’s not real,’” Bradshaw told Wetzel. “I think it’s totally real.”

We are suspicious of any amateur psychological evaluations after a brief media appearance — positive or negative. But it’s newsworthy that the two Steelers Super Bowl winning quarterbacks are getting along again. (Their conversation ended with a hug.)

“I encouraged him that yesterday is yesterday and that I have his back and I support him 100 percent,” Bradshaw said. “But if he screws up again . . . I’ll do it again.”

Appreciate the articles, but you need to start posting links to go with them for copyright purposes.

Also going to merge this with the existing Terry and Ben thread we've got going on.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

wootawnee
02-02-2011, 11:56 AM
That is great to hear. I'm glad Terry is swallowing some of his pride and reaching out to Ben like this. I'm guessing Terry's decision was made much easier in light of the bullshit Goodell has been saying in the media concerning Ben. Looks like the Steelers family is circling the wagons. I pity Green Bay. :tt04::tt03:

Brad didn't swallow his pride......Ben GREW up some this season,... and Terry rcognized that.......

Come on Man.......