PDA

View Full Version : Hines Ward says he would welcome Plaxico Burress back to Steelers

mesaSteeler
02-01-2011, 11:19 PM
Hines Ward says he would welcome Plaxico Burress back to Steelers
06:45 PM
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2011/02/hines-ward-plaxico-burress-pittsburgh-steelers-/1
By Tim Gardner, USA TODAY
Comment

Recommend

Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward said Tuesday that he would welcome Plaxico Burress back to the Pittsburgh Steelers "with open arms," according to The (Newark) Star-Ledger.

Burress, who played for the Steelers from 2000-05, is currently serving a two-year prison sentence for an unlicensed handgun after shooting himself in the leg in November 2008.

"How great would that be?" Ward said of a possible reunion. "For Plax to come back with the Steelers and help us win another Super Bowl, that would be a great story."

After his five-year stint in Pittsburgh, Burress signed a six-year deal with the New York Giants, with whom he won a Super Bowl after the 2007 season.

Burress is expected to make a comeback to the NFL after his release from prison in June.

Ward said, however, that he won't lobby the Steelers brass to bring back his old teammate.

"I'm not going to do that, because I'm not that type of guy," Ward said. "Who am I to tell the owner or organization what to go do? If that presented itself and the Pittsburgh Steelers did bring Plaxico back, I'd give him a big hug, and we'd be right out there playing together

PhantomJB93
02-01-2011, 11:21 PM
I have nothing against him but I'm not sure he could produce at the NFL level after jail and he has no place on THIS team anyway. I'd like to see him get a shot with somebody else though.

Buddha Bus
02-01-2011, 11:23 PM
Ummm.... sorry, Hines... but no. I love me some Hines, but I would not want him back in a Steelers uniform. He's a knucklehead.

El Nino
02-01-2011, 11:25 PM
the torch has already been passed to our young talent. plax had his time, but it's passed

mesaSteeler
02-01-2011, 11:25 PM
Ummm.... sorry, Hines... but no. I love me some Hines, but I would not want him back in a Steelers uniform. He's a knucklehead.

:applaudit::applaudit::applaudit::applaudit::appla udit:

Acerinox
02-01-2011, 11:26 PM
The most interesting thing about this, is that Hines sees himself as a Steeler in future seasons.

Retirement backtrack - good!

4xSBChamps
02-01-2011, 11:35 PM
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Glensgages/football/PlexiglassBurASS-mygunshotme.jpg

pittguy578
02-01-2011, 11:37 PM
Plax left for the money..I don't have a problem with that..The life of an NFL player is so short in most cases you have to make as much money as you can. He played well in NY to say the least. None of his teammates or the ownership have said anything bad about him and it's actually the opposite..they said he is welcome back anytime. I wonder how many yards he would put up with a GOOD Qb like Ben.

Curtain_of_Steel
02-01-2011, 11:45 PM
Nah, we don't need none of that back here.

I think Plax has been playing the TE in jail, and we have Miller. WR positions are full for the next 9 years.

stb_steeler
02-01-2011, 11:54 PM
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb154/Y2Clay22/plexxmas.jpg

Never happen!!!

The Curtain's Crusader
02-02-2011, 12:00 AM

Never happen!!!

WOW!!! Awesome.
:thumbsup:

stb_steeler
02-02-2011, 12:05 AM
As much as i liked the guy when he was a rookie, he didnt even have a good work ethic when he was a Steeler.......NO WAY! he ever comes back here. I dont know why Hines would even comment on that.

El Nino
02-02-2011, 12:39 AM

Never happen!!!

:toofunny:

Velvet Elvis
02-02-2011, 01:21 AM
thats all we need we have enough problems as it is with out bringing in another guy that cant keep out of trouble !

Neil-Still-Rules-14
02-02-2011, 01:32 AM
I'd take him back if he can play like he did 3 years ago. But that's a very big if.

grward
02-02-2011, 08:49 AM
He's a tool. When he was here, he showed up late for meetings, complained he didn't get enough balls thrown his way and then left for more money. Be gone Plax, be gone.

SacknificentStew56
02-02-2011, 10:05 AM
I'm all for second chances, but I doubt we'll bring Plax in again after we just got rid of a troubled receiver in Bongtonio.

LegendSteel
02-02-2011, 11:52 AM
So does this mean Hines is not retiring? I never thought he would, but I guess this proves it and can silence the critics.

Steelboy84
02-02-2011, 07:12 PM
I would too.

fer522
02-02-2011, 07:58 PM
i'd rather have him than Limas Sweed
but i dont think it will happen

zulater
02-02-2011, 08:12 PM
Sometimes Hines show's a complete disconnect between his mouth and his brain.:doh:

Nothing against Plax, if he's still good enough ( not a given at his age after that sort of absense) he deserves a second chance and I wish him well with it. But it wont be in Pittsburgh, and to even suggest so is an unwarranted slap at the talented core of receivers that are currently on the roster.

Steelerfreak58
02-02-2011, 08:33 PM
Interview him, get a feel if he learned his lesson, if he did offer him league minimum to play for 2 years with contingency that we can cut at any time. If he has had a change of heart and isn't an idiot any longer we got a steal if not let him roll.

Everyone deserves a second chance at life.

zulater
02-02-2011, 08:58 PM
Interview him, get a feel if he learned his lesson, if he did offer him league minimum to play for 2 years with contingency that we can cut at any time. If he has had a change of heart and isn't an idiot any longer we got a steal if not let him roll.

Everyone deserves a second chance at life.

Where's he play? You putting him in over Wallace? Sanders? Brown? I wouldn't and neither will the Steelers.

Good luck to Plax, but there isn't a snowball in hell's chance he'll ever suit up for the Steelers again. It's delusion.

Steelerfreak58
02-03-2011, 01:09 PM
Where's he play? You putting him in over Wallace? Sanders? Brown? I wouldn't and neither will the Steelers.

Good luck to Plax, but there isn't a snowball in hell's chance he'll ever suit up for the Steelers again. It's delusion.

I didn't say you move him to the front did I? You make him earn a spot. Like I said league minimum would be worth it. We know he can play and produce as long as he isn't shooting himself.

tube517
02-03-2011, 06:29 PM
Plex will be in Oakland with his new QB, Vince Young.

sharkweek
02-03-2011, 07:02 PM

Burress has half a foot in height advantage on all our WRs. That's an asset all the skill in the world cannot overcome.

I can't say I'd be 100% thrilled having him back here, but the immediate pros to having a player of his talent and attributes certainly overshadow the cons at first glance.

A target like that helped Ben immensely his rookie season (no way Ben does as well and we go 13-0 without Plax) and certainly made Eli look like a top 10 if not top 5 QB and was obviously integral in helping the Giants make it to and win Superbowl XLII.

Its a pipedream though, no way I see it happening, no after the Randy Moss and T.O. / Ocho fiascoes. Troubled / diva WRs can absolutely wreck a team.

Granted, Holmes certainly appeared to be mostly a positive addition to the Jets, at least in his first season with them. I hated how Holmes started to get mouthy and play the blame game with the Jets, but how much of that was him and how much of that was a product of the Jets' system and coach?

I just don't see it happening though. I'd imagine there will be plenty of teams willing to pay far more than we would, and considering his age and the time he lost sitting in prison, I'd imagine Burress will go for the money again. Its not like he's an aging WR who already made bank and is instead willing to take a paycut for a better chance to finally win a championship - which he already has.

I'd rather fantasize about grabbing a player like Larry Fitzgerald, which actually might be more likely to happen considering he holds all the cards in negotiating with the Cardinals and has expressed a desire to win a Superbowl more than make money, so if he's not satisfied with the Cardinals efforts in trying to improve the team he can pretty much go wherever he wants after the '11 season

harrison'samonster
02-03-2011, 07:10 PM
At first glance, it would seem like getting Plax back would be great. But the more I think about it, we really don't need him at all. Not at all. Sure his talent and skills would add to the team, but I think we're set at the WR position.

If we didn't have to pay much for him, I still don't think he'd be needed around Pittsburgh.

Neil-Still-Rules-14
02-03-2011, 08:12 PM
I'd be cool with him being a "fifth receiver" who just goes in on redzone plays. Jumpball TDs galore.