PDA

View Full Version : Why I love the Pittsburgh Steelers

mesaSteeler
02-01-2011, 11:24 PM
Why I love the Pittsburgh Steelers
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ycn-7742086&print=1

By Susan Ayers, Yahoo! Contributor Network 7 hours, 47 minutes ago This article was produced by a Yahoo! Sports user.

Lots of my mom's friends go on shopping dates with their teenage daughters. Some of them join book clubs together, some share clothes or dish about boys. They tell me it's a great way to connect with their girls. I wouldn't know. My oldest daughter doesn't care much for shopping and we don't share an interest in the same books. Our styles are different and she keeps things close to her chest—she's not much of a "disher".

It would be sad, this lack of connection, if it weren't for the fact that the two of us share something unique to mother/daughter combos…our love of the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Those who know me know I am a die-hard Pittsburgh Steelers fan—I have loved them since I was about 10 years old. I would riddle my dad with questions during games and he'd patiently explain first downs a hundred times over. Sunday afternoons were reserved for the NFL. I saw my team play at Three Rivers Stadium more times than I could count. I would revel in the Steelers wins and suffer in their losses. I took it to heart. I love talking trash about other teams which is easy to do when mine's on top so much!

And hallelujah—my love of football seems to be rubbing off on my daughter, Rachel. Together, we watch Pittsburgh play every week during the season. She asks me the same questions I asked my dad years ago and I'm proud of the fact that I can explain downs, conversions and penalties. We commiserated over the fact that we loved The Blind Side but could only feel so much compassion for Michael Oher(notes). After all, he plays for one of our worst rivals. I notice how she looks with disdain at John Harbaugh the way I looked at Tom Landry back in the day. I love when I see her watching Monday night games even when our boys don't play. I love that she's into college ball too—something I never developed a fondness for.

I don't have one girlfriend I can talk about football with. I can't play Monday morning quarterback with the gals in my life—they could care less. But I can talk to my daughter. And more importantly, she talks back. We have a common bond that we share, one that is fun and exciting and unique—and I realize how fortunate I am to have this with my kid.

This coming Sunday, we'll have our third opportunity together to watch our Pittsburgh Steelers play in a Super Bowl. She asked me if we can wear our jerseys to church that day. Of course we will! We are die-hard fans from Steeler Nation and we wear our colors with pride. And on Monday morning, hopefully we'll wear them again in victory after Big Ben leads our team to their seventh Super Bowl ring!

It's my hope that in years to come, my daughter will look back on our NFL Sundays with great memories of the players, the championships and of her time spent with me thanks to our common bond—the love of the game and the love of our Pittsburgh Steelers. I'm pretty sure she will.

After all, I still have mine from all those years ago.

SeinfeldNut
02-01-2011, 11:49 PM
Great article, thank you for putting this one up! I especially love "I don't have one girlfriend I can talk about football with. I can't play Monday morning quarterback with the gals in my life—they could care less. But I can talk to my daughter. And more importantly, she talks back. We have a common bond that we share, one that is fun and exciting and unique—and I realize how fortunate I am to have this with my kid." So happy to hear how our Steelers team can bond people together, especially when it comes to family.