PDA

View Full Version : Cunfused by Immigration issues/protests...

Hammer67
05-03-2006, 06:18 AM
I have been watching/reading about the recent protests and am a bit confused. I thought most people in this country supported LEGAL immigration and securing the border. So why the protests? I thought the big issue was "illegal" immigration, but the protestors are calling for "basic" immigration rights. I never heard any arguments against that.

Having read the immigration laws, they seem pretty lenient, especially when compared to other countries!
:uhh:

Sounds like there are a lot of confused protestors out there.

(I caught the thread title spelling error too late! Can't edit it!:dang: )

pitt
05-03-2006, 09:47 AM
The protestors are confusing the issue on purpose. They do not want to distinguish between legal and illegal. I personally do not object to people coming here LEGALLY. Its all the illegals I want out of here.

Hammer67
05-03-2006, 09:52 AM
Which I think is what most people want. Secured borders (can't argue with that), and just that people entering the country "sign the guestbook" on their way in. Contribute to the system, right?

tony hipchest
05-03-2006, 09:52 AM
its the illegals who are protesting. america wants to get rid of them. so on monday the illegals basically went on strike (didnt show to work, didnt shop, etc) to show the communities they worked in what an economical impact this would have. it was said the lost production was pretty much equivalent to a snow day.

83-Steelers-43
05-03-2006, 09:55 AM
(didnt show to work, didnt shop, etc)

They also took their kids out of school.

83-Steelers-43
05-03-2006, 10:01 AM
Come here legally, get a job, learn the language. Fine by me.

Come here illegally and you should be booted out of this country. I don't care if your Mexican, Italian, Irish, German or Canadian.

What's the problem here?

If anything, I feel these protests shed a very bad light on Hispanics in general and I feel bad for the people that came here legally, went through the process of becoming a legal citizen and are prospering in our country.

Sort of off topic, but did anybody hear our "new" National Anthem? lol.

shimmysteelerfan
05-03-2006, 10:10 AM
The local news here in vegas did an interview with one of the protest organizers, and he said the main issue for protests is the new law that is awaiting congress' approval, the new bill states that if you are caught here illegally then you will be prosecuted as a felon.....thats where the main issue is. Personaly I agree with the bill, if your not here legally you should be prosecuted as a felon. It's not hard to come here leagally, my bosses wife is from england and all she has to do is apply for temp citizenship every ten years and she is legal. It's not very difficult, people are just lazy

:usa: :usa: :usa:

Suitanim
05-03-2006, 10:19 AM
It's an interesting irony, though, that these people who come here and largely pay no tax and live on the fringe, can enjoy free health care, and all the benefits and infrastructure of our society while making only the tiniest of contributions are actually ABLE to legally protest.

There are few countries (if any) in the World where they'd be allowed to do so, and the very fact that we don't round them all up at these protests and stage a mass deportation (Hell, the fact that they KNOW they are illegally protesting, and still have no fear of being deported) shows the blatant disregard these people have for the hand that feeds them.

Seriously, it's outrageous the gall these people display, to illegally enter OUR country, and have the audacity to protest the Country they desperately need to support them, even going so far as to mock and disparage people carrying an American flag.

It makes my blood boil.

Hammer67
05-03-2006, 10:23 AM
It's an interesting irony, though, that these people who come here and largely pay no tax and live on the fringe, can enjoy free health care, and all the benefits and infrastructure of our society while making only the tiniest of contributions are actually ABLE to legally protest.

There are few countries (if any) in the World where they'd be allowed to do so, and the very fact that we don't round them all up at these protests and stage a mass deportation (Hell, the fact that they KNOW they are illegally protesting, and still have no fear of being deported) shows the blatant disregard these people have for the hand that feeds them.

Seriously, it's outrageous the gall these people display, to illegally enter OUR country, and have the audacity to protest the Country they desperately need to support them, even going so far as to mock and disparage people carrying an American flag.

It makes my blood boil.

Yeah...I couldn't agree more. My great grandparents came over and came from poverty but they stood in line on Ellis Island like everyone else and did the right thing...

Someone sent me this great true quote from Teddy Roosevelt with which I agree completely. I don't understand how that constitues me being a racist...:

Theodore Roosevelt's ideas on Immigrants and being an AMERICAN in 1907.

"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American ... There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag ... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language ... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Hammer67
05-03-2006, 10:25 AM
its the illegals who are protesting. america wants to get rid of them. so on monday the illegals basically went on strike (didnt show to work, didnt shop, etc) to show the communities they worked in what an economical impact this would have. it was said the lost production was pretty much equivalent to a snow day.

I think the confusion lies in the fact that the media and the protestors aren't referring to them as such. Makes it seem as though it is people who are just LEGAL.

pitt
05-03-2006, 03:43 PM
Come here legally, get a job, learn the language. Fine by me.

Come here illegally and you should be booted out of this country. I don't care if your Mexican, Italian, Irish, German or Canadian.

What's the problem here?

If anything, I feel these protests shed a very bad light on Hispanics in general and I feel bad for the people that came here legally, went through the process of becoming a legal citizen and are prospering in our country.

Sort of off topic, but did anybody hear our "new" National Anthem? lol.

I heard the words to the "new anthem" on the radio this morning. They went something like this....:blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah:

BBC
05-03-2006, 04:15 PM
I don't understand what the problem is here. Come here legally, or get out. What is difficult to grasp about that concept?

MasterOfPuppets
05-03-2006, 05:06 PM
is anyone else as sick and tired of the way the government drags thier feet on everything. they won't even enforce the damn laws that are on the books now,so whats the point of making new ones??? thier so damned worried about new votes,that they ignore the will of the people who put em in office to begin with. this whole democrats vs. republican thing is destroying the country.do these morons have a rule that if one party proposes something,the other automatically has to disagree and shoot it down??? i for one will not vote for any politician that proposes any form of amnesty.

Hammer67
05-04-2006, 07:04 AM
is anyone else as sick and tired of the way the government drags thier feet on everything. they won't even enforce the damn laws that are on the books now,so whats the point of making new ones??? thier so damned worried about new votes,that they ignore the will of the people who put em in office to begin with. this whole democrats vs. republican thing is destroying the country.do these morons have a rule that if one party proposes something,the other automatically has to disagree and shoot it down??? i for one will not vote for any politician that proposes any form of amnesty.

I agree, bi-partisan nutjobs are sucking the life out of the system. It gets so bad that no one will consider a good idea from the other side simply because....they are from the other side!!:rolleyes:

83-Steelers-43
05-04-2006, 04:52 PM
MOP and Hammer, I agree. Nobody wants to step up to the plate. To add on, the people that want something done are pegged as racists. Go figure.

MasterOfPuppets
05-04-2006, 05:11 PM
i seen on fox,they had a poll asking if the illegals should get amnesty...they had it at 71 % said no. but yet the very same poll in my local online news paper had 90% say no...and that was over 3000 votes. but of course our hispanic population is less than half a percent.so any politician who proposes any type of amnesty should be out of a job,come voting time.if not,it'll be the last time i waste my time voting.the legal residents of this country have made it quite clear what they want.

Hammer67
05-08-2006, 07:05 AM
i seen on fox,they had a poll asking if the illegals should get amnesty...they had it at 71 % said no. but yet the very same poll in my local online news paper had 90% say no...and that was over 3000 votes. but of course our hispanic population is less than half a percent.so any politician who proposes any type of amnesty should be out of a job,come voting time.if not,it'll be the last time i waste my time voting.the legal residents of this country have made it quite clear what they want.

Yeah, put if you'r against amnesty for illegals, you're "Inhumane!" :rolleyes:

Why does the political left have to be so annoyingly vocal...I don't know anyone overly liberal...I have only run across them when I was in college or in chat rooms (where they feel emboldened in their anonymity). Seems like the majority of the country is moderate or down the middle...right where it should be, near the sweet spot. You have to be a realist and objective towards issues, I think. And, any realist will tell you that amnesty is insane. How about I go steal a car from someone then go around and protest that I should be free and provided with amnesty from jail time.:dang: