PDA

View Full Version : Wins don't give Ben Roethlisberger a free pass

Velvet Elvis
02-02-2011, 01:43 AM
Wins don't give Ben Roethlisberger a free pass
Feb 1 | By Jane McManus
http://espn.go.com/espnw/blog/_/post/6080853/wins-do-not-give-ben-roethlisberger-free-pass

Jason Bridge/US Presswire
Ben Roethlisberger isn't a redemption story just because he's reached the Super Bowl.

Americans love to turn their athletes into heroes. And we sportswriters are sometimes guilty of providing storylines when they don't arrive on schedule. This week, the Super Bowl is a major deadline.

So I'm a little wary of stories about the Pittsburgh quarterback.

Roethlisberger has had a number of interactions with women that have involved courts or police to one degree or another. The most troubling came last April, when Roethlisberger celebrated his 28th birthday in Milledgeville, Ga.

The prosecutor couldn't recover enough DNA from a dingy bathroom, and the alleged victim declined to press charges. But the police report from that night has the handwritten account of a woman who said she was trapped there as Roethlisberger had sex with her -- while bodyguards kept her friends from coming to help her.

"No, this is not okay," she said she told him.

To his credit, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell didn't let himself off the hook when the prosecutor said there wasn't enough evidence to charge Roethlisberger. The NFL investigated the matter itself and suspended the quarterback for Pittsburgh's first six games (the suspension was later reduced to four).

Now the Steelers are in the Super Bowl. What that means is that reporters will want to write about what happened, but will have a hard time using phrases like "alleged rape." Instead, you might hear a lot of references to "off-the-field distractions."

So weak. You cannot lump DWIs, drug use, alleged rape and assault charges into the same phrase you'd use for trying to talk and text at the same time.

For the record, what happened also does not count as "overcoming adversity." That's when you successfully rehab a gruesome compound fracture, like Seattle's Leon Washington, and go on to regain your status as a formidable kickoff returner. It's not when you act like the villain in some film noir and then win a bunch of football games.

Maybe we need to invent some new terms for antiheroes -- are you listening Antonio Cromartie, you wordsmith? -- so that players like Big Ben, Mike Vick, Tiger Woods and Kobe Bryant can be discussed without being idolized.

Playing a good game and leading a good life are two distinct things -- and not every athlete needs to be Man of the Year. But that gets confused a lot when we talk about sports.

Santonio Holmes is one athlete who refused to play the good-guy role the league -- and the media -- wanted to assign him. The wide receiver was suspended for four games at the start of the 2010 season for violating the league's substance-abuse policy. The Steelers traded him to the Jets on the cheap, and when Holmes came back from his suspension, reporters asked what he learned from the experience.

He didn't let anybody write the redemption story.

"To look in your eyes and be honest with you, not one percent," Holmes said in response to a question about whether he'd changed during his time off. "I've been the same person since I stepped foot in this NFL, I'll continuing being the same person until I leave."

Holmes' point: Admire him for what he can do on the field, but don't try to make him a poster child for a D.A.R.E. campaign. One might even respect Holmes for refusing to be shoe horned into a cuddly narrative arc simply to improve his public image.

Roethlisberger hasn't talked publicly about what happened in Milledgeville. It's hard to know if he's changed, or how he has processed the events of that night. Has he undergone a personal transformation in the aftermath of the scandal? Has he decided he needs to more thoroughly script his media interactions?

Nobody likes all those blanks. It's tempting to try to fill them in for Roethlisberger.

Maybe one day he will found a church, underwrite programming on NPR, pay for thousands of impoverished kids to go to college, cure malaria and fund a league-wide program called No Means No.

On that day, everyone can write that Ben Roethlisberger has redeemed himself.

But winning another Super Bowl shouldn't be part of that storyline.

OX1947
02-02-2011, 01:47 AM
I'm tired of hearing from these stupid bitches. How bout we stop promoting their articles.

Velvet Elvis
02-02-2011, 02:00 AM
I'm tired of hearing from these stupid bitches. How bout we stop promoting their articles.

I really didnt think it was bad. I mean she didnt really right anything that wasnt true. The part about Holmes saying he hasnt changed one bit is kinda "refreshing" . Sometimes I get the feeling from Ben that he is trying way to hard to be friendlier sometimes it comes off as kinda phoney .

OX1947
02-02-2011, 02:30 AM
I really didnt think it was bad. I mean she didnt really right anything that wasnt true. The part about Holmes saying he hasnt changed one bit is kinda "refreshing" . Sometimes I get the feeling from Ben that he is trying way to hard to be friendlier sometimes it comes off as kinda phoney .

Being phony is what the fans and people demand. If you need proof, look at politics in this country. People do not want an honest person, they want a liar and and crook.

scsteeler
02-02-2011, 03:37 AM
I am really tired of reading these articles. The media loves to create and keep a bad thing going because it makes great reading material until that person is you that is being lambasted for the next year or so. These A-holes will keep this up for a while instead of talking about the SB.

Hey what an Idea write something about the SB that is going to be played and not about Ben's issue. I know for a fact that no matter how much info you have to prove Ben was in the wrong you can also get just as much info to prove he was railroaded and we fans and people in general don't see this until it is something that is near and dear to our hearts.

I wonder why the media does not use 90% of their energy promoting the good things people do?

SteelBobbleHead
02-02-2011, 04:31 AM
I agree, I'm tired of reading this drivel. The only thing Ben was guilty of was bad judgement. She mentioned the police report yet I doubt she actually read it. Had she actually read it she would know that on the night of the incident the "alleged" victim responded "No" when asked by the police officer. She then responded "I don't know" when asked if they had sex. It wasn't until the next day after some prodding from her friends and after they got their story together that she changed some things in her orginal story to make hers look better. Ironic that the only people in that bar who say the body guards stood guard while Ben trapped her in the bathroom were her friends, who also complained about the body guards not allowing them back to see her. How in the hell could they see what was going on if they weren't there? Hell, the friends and the alleged victim stated that the body guard forced her back into the hall way and then Ben showed up with his junk out. A few other witnesses stated that they saw Ben talking to her while she sat on a chair in the hallway. Total different accounts of what happened.

pete74
02-02-2011, 04:53 AM
im so sick of hearing this. he had sex with some **** in the bathroom. so freaking what. definatly not the smartest thing to do when your constantly in the spotlight but its definatly not a crime. hopefully after we win this game sunday the media will finally drop this

Atlanta Dan
02-02-2011, 09:16 AM
I guess some writers regard the Steelers making the Super Bowl as the equivalent of getting a chance for a free refill of something by recycling last year's columns on how we need to remember Roethlisberger is a bad guy

Allegations of sexual assault do not reflect well on someone - no kidding - we get it

But I was unaware anyone was arguing that if Roethlisberger wins another Super Bowl it redeems him as a person anymore than Bill Clinton's accomplishents as President redeemed him as a husband (not trying to get political - just illustrating it is not unprecedented or impossible to recognize a public figure's accomplishments without thereby having to say that also makes him a great guy in his private life).

Some sportswriters want it both ways - they tell us do not hold up athletes as role models (I agree) and then say do not root for a particular athlete because he is not a role model

This statement in a recent article on SI.com about Roethlisberger taking the field this Sunday sums it up for me

Some will see privilege run amok, others the hard work of a changed man. And many more, numbed by the endless debate about athletic redemption, will just watch a football game. :thumbsup:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/damon_hack/02/01/roethlisberger/index.html

SacknificentStew56
02-02-2011, 09:20 AM
I wanted to email her to say, "Let it go, B*TCH"!! But I didn't want to even give her the pleasure. It's getting real old and all she'll say is that she's only doing her job. GTFOH!!

Atlanta Dan
02-02-2011, 09:31 AM
One of the real howlers in the article is her contention Santonio Holmes is not attempting to have an image makeover

Admire him for what he can do on the field, but don't try to make him a poster child for a D.A.R.E. campaign. One might even respect Holmes for refusing to be shoe horned into a cuddly narrative arc simply to improve his public image

Could have fooled me

Being Father Helps Lead Jets’ Holmes Out of His Shell

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/19/sports/football/19holmes.html

Jets Wide Receiver Santonio Holmes Talks Helping Kids Be Their Best

http://www.parentdish.com/2010/12/23/jets-wide-receiver-santonio-holmes-talks-helping-kids-be-their-b/

This writer has an agenda and is not going to let any unhelpful facts get in the way

plenewken
02-02-2011, 09:42 AM
If you're tired of this kind of article, why do you read them in the first place? Skip the damn thread! The title is self-explanatory so you know what you're gonna find in it, no?:noidea:

SH-Rock
02-02-2011, 09:50 AM
Not surprising that it's always a female bashing on Ben.

Atlanta Dan
02-02-2011, 10:19 AM
If you're tired of this kind of article, why do you read them in the first place? Skip the damn thread! The title is self-explanatory so you know what you're gonna find in it, no?:noidea:

Good point, although nobody is saying the thread should not be posted just that the article is tiresome

WisconsinSteelerMan
02-02-2011, 10:40 AM
While I agree that Ben didn't exercise the best judgement in celebrating his birthday and putting himself in that position, I find it funny that we automatically take the side of the alleged victim in all cases. Nothing was proven, and the person involved refused to proceed with pressing charges. Whether or not it happened will unfortunately never be known.

While I am not sticking up for a rapist, we do have a policy that it is innocent until proven guilty. He is not guilty...charges were alleged, but never filed. Whether or not you want your daughter dating Ben is besides the point...

Is it time for the frigging game yet? Two weeks is WAY too long in between games....

Mike in La Crosse, WI
WisconsinSteelerMan

CargoJon
02-02-2011, 11:33 AM
Mike Nifong called - he wants his "jumping to conclusions with no evidence" M.O. back.....

Sixburgher
02-02-2011, 11:50 AM
"Ben Roethlisberger isn't a redemption story just because he's reached the Super Bowl."

Why not? Just making the playoffs seemed to work for Vick.

jjpro11
02-02-2011, 02:22 PM
one last time everyone.

the girl followed Ben around town.. she wore DTF on her shirt and felt she needed to explain its meaning to Ben's friend.. she used a fake ID to get wasted (you're an idiot if you think this was her first night out on the town with a fake ID and the first time she had drunken sex with a stranger)... she invited Ben to her sorority house.. what do you think she wanted to do there, play ****ing pictionary? she changed her story and nobody could provide a consistent answer as to what happened.

Ben may not have been the nicest guy out there, but that doesn't make him criminal. he can act however he wants within the confines of the law. having drunken sex with a random co-ed with a sexual assault case pending was not a good idea, regardless of how nuts the first accuser is. he had to realize he would make an easy target for any girl looking for a pay day. i kinda believe the first sexual assault accusation is what made this girl and her friends make these claims.. it was too easy for them, or at least they thought.

Steelrule
02-02-2011, 02:23 PM
Redemption is not something that can be seen. It can be a perception that others "assign" to someone. But for Ben, he will have to live with his actions and do his best to get his life right and keep it that way. Problem is, there will be those hoping for him to fail just so they can say, "See, I told you he hasn't changed." None of us are without faults. We can't redeem ourselves by our worldly actions. There is only one way to true redemption, and I hope Ben finds it.

Velvet Elvis
02-02-2011, 05:01 PM
one last time everyone.

the girl followed Ben around town.. she wore DTF on her shirt and felt she needed to explain its meaning to Ben's friend.. she used a fake ID to get wasted (you're an idiot if you think this was her first night out on the town with a fake ID and the first time she had drunken sex with a stranger)... she invited Ben to her sorority house.. what do you think she wanted to do there, play ****ing pictionary? she changed her story and nobody could provide a consistent answer as to what happened.

Ben may not have been the nicest guy out there, but that doesn't make him criminal. he can act however he wants within the confines of the law. having drunken sex with a random co-ed with a sexual assault case pending was not a good idea, regardless of how nuts the first accuser is. he had to realize he would make an easy target for any girl looking for a pay day. i kinda believe the first sexual assault accusation is what made this girl and her friends make these claims.. it was too easy for them, or at least they thought.

I get your "one last time" whatever ,but i think no matter who did what here Ben did not act the way he should have. I mean at the very least he was having sex of some type in a public restroom. I still find it hard to believe he didnt atleast get a citation for that. There is no doubt his posse was guarding the door so he could do as he pleased in there. I think the commish figures this kind of behavior shouldnt be coming from an NFL qb. No matter what this girl did or didnt do Ben acted like a idiot that day and apparently it wasnt the first time or maybe not even the last. Who knows :noidea:

plenewken
02-02-2011, 06:04 PM
I get your "one last time" whatever ,but i think no matter who did what here Ben did not act the way he should have. I mean at the very least he was having sex of some type in a public restroom. I still find it hard to believe he didnt atleast get a citation for that. There is no doubt his posse was guarding the door so he could do as he pleased in there. I think the commish figures this kind of behavior shouldnt be coming from an NFL qb. No matter what this girl did or didnt do Ben acted like a idiot that day and apparently it wasnt the first time or maybe not even the last. Who knows :noidea:

:applaudit::applaudit:

I hope it's the last time. Twice is enough.
I keep wondering how most the guys here would react if the "drunk ****" as they call her was their daughter. She wasn't innocent for sure but neither was Ben and he's the one who, considering his age and social status, shouldn't have been involved in sh*t like this in the first place.

jjpro11
02-02-2011, 06:10 PM

i never said i approved of his actions. it's pretty well documented he's been an asshole throughout his professional career.. but that still does not make him some horrific rapist like people want to make it out to be. he didn't throw the girl in the restroom and have his way with her while his goons guarded the door... the girl is making a mockery of real rape victims who live with the nightmare every day of their lives. i saw the confession video, she sounded anything but distraught.