PDA

View Full Version : Smith wants to get in the game

mesaSteeler
02-02-2011, 07:24 AM
February 1, 2011
Smith wants to get in the game
http://tribune-democrat.com/prosports/x1975979633/Smith-wants-to-get-in-the-game
Eric Knopsnyder The Tribune-Democrat The Tribune-Democrat Tue Feb 01, 2011, 10:38 PM EST

ARLINGTON, Texas — The past few seasons have been a nightmare for Aaron Smith, but the Pittsburgh Steelers defensive end is still hoping for a dream ending in 2011.

Smith, who tore his left triceps in the sixth game of the season, is holding out hope that he'll be able to play against the Green Bay Packers in Super Bowl XLV on Sunday.

“It would be huge,” the 12-year veteran said. “I can't wait to get out there. I think about it all the time. I sit around and fantasize about it.”

The Steelers took the rare step of keeping Smith on their active roster rather than place him on injured reserve, just in case he'd be able to return at some point this season.

During that time Smith, rehabbed the injury and tried to be a positive influence on the team.

“You just go out there and whatever is asked of you do,” he said. “If you cannot participate, you just try to find a way to help the guys – watch film and coach them up a little bit.”

Smith had been placed on the injured reserved list in 2009 (shoulder) and 2007 (knee).

So what are his chances of playing on Sunday?

“If you asked me, I'd be 50-50,” he said. “It's a day-to-day thing. We'll go from there.”

Feeling right at home: It certainly did not feel like Super Bowl week.

The game is normally held in warm-weather locations, but the wind chill in Dallas was 1 degree above zero at the start of media day.

That's nothing new for fans from Pittsburgh and Green Bay.

But Texans were struggling to deal with the wintry blast, as snow and freezing rain overnight left roadways a mess and delayed travel in and around North Texas.

“I didn't expect this and I hope we didn't bring it here,” said Packers cornerback Tramon Williams, who grew up in Texas. “We're used to this weather (in Green Bay) and it's not a big deal.”

Not everybody was disappointed by the frigid temperatures.

“I felt like I was back in Pittsburgh when I woke up,” Steelers linebacker James Harrison said. “I was kind of pleasantly surprised.”

The weather is supposed to warm up as the week continues, and it won't be a factor with the roof of Cowboys Stadium closed for the game on Sunday.

Both teams also have the option of practicing indoors this week.

Mouth Nittany: Former Penn State tight end Andrew Quarless hasn't had a huge impact for the Packers this season – catching 21 passes for 238 yards and a touchdown.

But the rookie certainly doesn't lack for confidence.

That was evident when he was asked about the giant video board at Cowboys Stadium.

“That was one of the first things I saw when I came out,” he said. “I am just ready to make a play so I can see myself on the big screen. It's amazing.”

He also is hoping to break the hearts of some of his former fans in the Keystone State.

“People in Pennsylvania, they love their Steelers,” he said. “That's Steeler Nation.

“I can't wait to get out there and make them feel bad.”

steelerchad
02-02-2011, 08:44 AM
If they waste a spot on the active roster for Smith or Pouncey and neither can really contribute I'd be pretty upset. I know these guys want to play, but if they can't help win they shouldn't take an active spot from someone who can make a special teams tackle or fill in on the O-line if someone goes down. The last thing we need is Spaeth playing Tackle in the Super Bowl if we have more injuries on the O-line during the game.

It's amazing how Smith's injury's in 07 and 09 seemed to be major factors in our failures to advance those years. This year it was gloom and doom when Smith went down, until about early December when Ziggy showed he's a player. Most people have already moved on assuming it's now Ziggy's spot.