PDA

View Full Version : Mane men take spotlight

mesaSteeler
02-02-2011, 07:30 AM
Mane men take spotlight
http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sports_details/article/1501/2011/february/02/mane-men-take-spotlight.html
By: Mike Bires
Beaver County Times

Wednesday February 2, 2011 12:08 AM

ARLINGTON, Texas — As media days go at the Super Bowl, this one was definitely a hair-raising experience.

There was Clay Matthews showing no resentment at all after finishing a close second to Troy Polamalu in the vote for NFL Defensive Player of the Year.

After all, Matthews claimed he won another competition that’s been quite the topic at Super Bowl XLV.

“Troy may have won Defensive Player of the Year and that’s great. But there’s no doubt that I won best hair in the game on the defensive side,” said Matthews, the Packers’ star linebacker with the long blonde mane.

“I’m really happy about that. I think it’s a unanimous decision. I have great hair.”

Matthews does have great hair. It’s so great that he just landed an endorsement with Suave.

But that doesn’t mean Polamalu, the Steelers’ star safety, is willing to concede his stake as the NFL player with the most famous head of hair.

“I guess the public can decide that,” he said.

Actually, there was no way for anyone to decide whose hair was better Tuesday. That’s because Polamalu showed up at Media Day with his long black curly locks bundled up in a pony tail. He only lets his hair down on game day.
Advertisement Click Here

But, Polamlau said, “I can say mine’s more expensive.” Polamalu is right about that … at least for now.

Last year when Head & Shoulders signed Polamalu to an endorsement deal, it took out a $1 million insurance policy on Polamalu’s hair in the event it would be damaged. Not to be outdone, Matthews’ agent is looking into a $5 million insurance policy for his client’s hair.

At one point at the Packers’ portion of Media Day, Matthews was approached by Maria Menounos, an actress who was working as a reporter for “Access Hollywood.” Menounos actually asked Matthews if she could stroke his hair, and he obliged.

Polamalu, however, wouldn’t let anyone touch his hair.

And just as Media Day was about to end, a reporter asked Polamalu how many times he was asked about his hair.

“I don’t know. I have no idea,” he said. “My hair has a mind of its own.”