PDA

View Full Version : Which Steeler was meaner?

TRH
02-02-2011, 09:47 AM
Just to get off the SB subject for a few laughs....Who scares the crap out of you more?

Greg Lloyd or James Harrison?

we all know "mean Joe" was tough and all, but these two are both ripped, shredded with muscle, cool cats, and very scary tough individuals with an angry streak a mile wide when they're 'messed with'. I'd pity anybody who would meet up with them in a dark alley.

FanSince72
02-02-2011, 10:15 AM
Well, if I had to choose between just Harrison and Lloyd, I think I'd go with Lloyd - only because he was bigger and he seemed to go out of his way to live up to (down to?) his reputation. Harrison, for all his bluster, does seem to listen a bit to the "new rules" Gospel which is something I think Lloyd would never have done.

But if you want "All-time" mean? I'd have to go with Lambert. He was mean to opponents but he was also mean to teammates, practice squad victims, rookies and whoever else crossed his path. He was an "Equal Opportunity S.O.B."

I recall watching Cleveland / Steelers game way back in the 70's in which Brian Sipe apparently said something as his offense was leaving the field that Lambert took offense to and Lambert charged the Cleveland bench and flat-out punched Sipe square upside his helmet. Naturally, the requisite bench-clearing brawl ensued and I believe Lambert was ejected, but for him that was all in a day's work.

Or how 'bout when he body-slammed Cliff Harris in SB X after Harris patted Gerela on the head and said a few unflattering things to him after he missed a FG and then Lambert stood over the now supine Harris wagging his finger in Harris' face?

The things he did back in his day would earn him multi-game if not full-season suspensions today, but man were they fun to watch!

4xSBChamps
02-02-2011, 10:16 AM
I recall Al Toon getting knocked the F-out while crossing the middle about 20 years ago, and Lloyd falling to the ground beside Toon, then counting him 'OUT', like a WWF official

Harrison would simply say 'B!TCH... fall on a pillow next time, so you don't get hurt!!!'

FanSince72
02-02-2011, 10:25 AM
I recall Al Toon getting knocked the F-out while crossing the middle about 20 years ago, and Lloyd falling to the ground beside Toon, then counting him 'OUT', like a WWF official

Harrison would simply say 'B!TCH... fall on a pillow next time, so you don't get hurt!!!'

Holy snap!

I think I was at that game!

Are you talking about a game played at the Meadowlands? Brister was our QB, Walton was the Jets coach and we kicked the Jets' ass in a blowout? (as I recall the Jet fans were throwing beer and TP on Walton as he ran for the tunnel)

I'm pretty sure that's the game and I recall hearing that hit from my seat in the Mezz as if it happened right next to me. The game was stopped for about ten minutes while they cleaned up the accident scene.

4xSBChamps
02-02-2011, 10:29 AM
that game may've been at the Meadowlands... I seem to think Pittsburgh wore white that day, but I was helping work on a race-car, and the TV was across the shop:
I can't recall

:noidea:

FanSince72
02-02-2011, 10:38 AM
that game may've been at the Meadowlands... I seem to think Pittsburgh wore white that day, but I was helping work on a race-car, and the TV was across the shop:
I can't recall

:noidea:

Just looked it up.

Right game, different players.

In that game (Dec. 10, 1989), Lloyd knocked out QB Pat Ryan (concussion).

In that SAME game, Al Toon got flattened by Thomas Everett on a chest hit (that's the one I heard) which resulted in bruised / cracked ribs or something like that.

So I guess we got a two-fer in that one!

4xSBChamps
02-02-2011, 10:41 AM
Just looked it up.

Right game, different players.

In that game (Dec. 10, 1989), Lloyd knocked out QB Pat Ryan (concussion).

In that SAME game, Al Toon got flattened by Thomas Everett on a chest hit (that's the one I heard) which resulted in bruised / cracked ribs or something like that.

So I guess we got a two-fer in that one!

I didn't recall Lloyd delivering the knock-out blow to Toon (although I recall Toon being in his sights), just that Lloyd counted him out

:thumbsup:

wootawnee
02-02-2011, 12:42 PM
They are both mean and great in different ways.......

Lloyd was feared everywhere.......So is James........

I think the only difference is Lloyd never had a quarterback........
His D man handled the cowboys in XXX......The o handed them the ball at the
goal line 2wice....

http://www.outdoorlife.com/files/imagecache/photo-gallery/photo/7/ben_Roethlisberger.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_ZzSeX2ctOaA/SLa2JEgv3iI/AAAAAAAABkc/eL4wHiyiQuU/s400/neil2.jpg

wootawnee
02-02-2011, 12:53 PM
I do KNOW this.........No other Steeler would have took that Pick back in XLIII 100 yards other that DEBO.............You can talk till your blue in the face on this and you could not convince me otherwise......

I said No one............None

Just Debo......

http://www.examiner.com/images/blog/wysiwyg/image/harrison_-_fb7f6dc4-0535-4292-ad38-1e15db2747f4.jpg

http://www.sportsmemorabilia.com/files/cache/741/james-harrison-autographed-pittsburgh-steelers-football-8x10-photo_7418e1d954682e3ef1c6fa322c3b7604.jpg

http://www.steelersgab.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/harrison-super-bowl.jpg

http://cache.boston.com/multimedia/sports/bigshots/sb09/sb7.jpg

http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/photos/superbwlsm/sprbwl06.jpg

http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/photos/superbwlsm/sprbwl07.jpg

4xSBChamps
02-02-2011, 01:57 PM
... how 'bout when he body-slammed Cliff Harris in SB X after Harris patted Gerela on the head and said a few unflattering things to him after he missed a FG and then Lambert stood over the now supine Harris wagging his finger in Harris' face?

check your Private Messages
:thumbsup:

Devil's D
02-02-2011, 02:08 PM
Between Harrison and Lloyd, I have to give Lloyd the nod for being mean.

One of my favorite Steeler’s memories is when Lloyd called out Dan Marino (think it was a Monday night game in Miami, and I remember Lloyd sacking him, and Marino grabbing at him while still on the ground. One of the great injustices is that team did not have a QB, we would could be talking about winning a 12th SB right now!

Steelerfreak58
02-02-2011, 03:59 PM
Lambert

Lloyd and Harrison are copies of the original.

ucsteve667
02-02-2011, 05:27 PM
Lloyd was friggin evil

MDSteel15
02-02-2011, 05:36 PM
Greg Lloyd was a mea S.O.B. everywhere including off the field!!! Wonder if his son is the same way?!?! :popcorn:

Velvet Elvis
02-02-2011, 06:17 PM
Lloyd is one of my all time favs. I remember he had this half sleeveless shirt that said "I wasn't hired for my disposition". He was a bad dude!

Atlanta Dan
02-02-2011, 06:24 PM
When it comes to mean Steelers do not leave Ernie Holmes out of the conversation

"He had a look that was really scary," says former Steelers safety Mike Wagner. "I think he wanted to beat people to death -- within the rules of the game."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5058107

mesaSteeler
02-02-2011, 06:43 PM
Lambert

Lloyd and Harrison are copies of the original.

With out a doubt! Mean Joe wasn't exactly Mr Manners either.

Steelboy84
02-02-2011, 07:25 PM
James Harrison is a pretty mean football player.

Greg Lloyd was an assassin. :ak47:

ScreamingEagle
02-02-2011, 07:33 PM
I don't know whose meaner, I like em all though.:tt02:

tube517
02-02-2011, 07:47 PM
Lambert and Harrison - both from Kent State. Don't piss off Steeler LB's from Kent St

Well, if I had to choose between just Harrison and Lloyd, I think I'd go with Lloyd - only because he was bigger and he seemed to go out of his way to live up to (down to?) his reputation. Harrison, for all his bluster, does seem to listen a bit to the "new rules" Gospel which is something I think Lloyd would never have done.

But if you want "All-time" mean? I'd have to go with Lambert. He was mean to opponents but he was also mean to teammates, practice squad victims, rookies and whoever else crossed his path. He was an "Equal Opportunity S.O.B."

I recall watching Cleveland / Steelers game way back in the 70's in which Brian Sipe apparently said something as his offense was leaving the field that Lambert took offense to and Lambert charged the Cleveland bench and flat-out punched Sipe square upside his helmet. Naturally, the requisite bench-clearing brawl ensued and I believe Lambert was ejected, but for him that was all in a day's work.

Or how 'bout when he body-slammed Cliff Harris in SB X after Harris patted Gerela on the head and said a few unflattering things to him after he missed a FG and then Lambert stood over the now supine Harris wagging his finger in Harris' face?

The things he did back in his day would earn him multi-game if not full-season suspensions today, but man were they fun to watch!

El Nino
02-02-2011, 11:32 PM
I don't remember Lloyd ever getting fined $100k a year.

Harrison

madtowndrunkard
02-02-2011, 11:38 PM

Harrison

Until Harrison puts a gun in his own kids mouth I think I'll go with Lloyd.

SteelSurf
02-03-2011, 12:13 AM

Harrison

It was a much different league back then. A more "Let the Bodies hit the floor" type of mentality. I see similarities between Harrison and Lloyd with respect to their demeanor with the press.Both of them hate the newsies. Lambert and Mean Joe were the meanest on the field for sure.

Having to choose one would tear the fabric of the space-time continuum and destroy the planet, meaning the United Nations would have to step in prior to making the decision, to prevent the mass destruction of the Planet Earth..

ucsteve667
02-03-2011, 12:19 AM
It was a much different league back then. A more "Let the Bodies hit the floor" type of mentality. I see similarities between Harrison and Lloyd with respect to their demeanor with the press.Both of them hate the newsies. Lambert and Mean Joe were the meanest on the field for sure.

Having to choose one would tear the fabric of the space-time continuum and destroy the planet, meaning the United Nations would have to step in prior to making the decision, to prevent the mass destruction of the Planet Earth..

I was with ya on the 1st part....

wootawnee
02-03-2011, 01:05 AM
Gene Upshaw and Art Shell said they hated facing Ernie Holmes more than Mean Joe, or anyone else in the league.....And they were the best in the league on one of the toughest teams..........

JackHammer
02-03-2011, 02:04 AM
Until Harrison puts a gun in his own kids mouth I think I'll go with Lloyd.

Damn you for beating me to it!! My original answer was gonna be:

Harrison beat his woman. Lloyd made his son eat the barrel of his gun. Lloyd wins.

TRH
02-03-2011, 07:54 AM

Harrison

thats because a few years ago when Lloyd was playing they weren't throwing out fines every time a players hand touched the QB. The group you can include to thank for this is the Goodell circle of cronies, Brady, and Manning.

BengalDestroyer
02-03-2011, 05:09 PM
Harrison's got my vote