PDA

View Full Version : STEELERS FAN WORRIED

Smith91
02-02-2011, 11:51 AM
I have been a steelers fan since 73. I know we have always played great in superbowls, even the one we lost to dallas, we were outgunned and still almost won. I look at this superbowl and hate this matchup. We have had some trouble with the spread offense and GB will spread the field. On a good note we all know they will not run on us, bad note is they don't have to run. They are going to run a lot of 5wr, throwing quick passes and an occasional run just to show the threat. When Pitt won 37-36 over GB a couple years ago it was luck, last sec great play by Roeth to throw a TD but the matchup was bad for us. Now looking forward, we all know Roeth is great but Rodgers has improved to be great also. What worries me more than anything is that I am a great handicapper, I make a lot of money betting and if my Fav team wasn't pitt I would have a load on the packers. Just some facts: 1st the last 3 dogs have covered the spread in the superbowl, a fav is due and what better time for a fav to cover than at a time when a lot of American will be betting on the dog. 2nd- when the books make a 6th seed favored over a 2 seed there is some sh it in the game. Remember 2005 the steelers seahawks when pitt was favored as a 6th seed....Need I say more? vegas is always involved in the games. If Pitt is favored at gametime I will feel better about our chances. Believe me I am a pitt fan but I look at facts.

El Nino
02-02-2011, 11:59 AM
i ain't ever scurred

ETL
02-02-2011, 12:11 PM
Just enjoy the ride. Don't worry about the destination. Just enjoy the ride.

OX1947
02-02-2011, 12:24 PM
Indy was favored last year and Pats were favored two years before that. Doesnt mean anything.

WisconsinSteelerMan
02-02-2011, 12:27 PM
Gawd is it time to play the frigging game??? My heart ALWAYS goes into palpitations leading up to and during the games. I am always waiting for the "bottom to fall out of the team"... sometimes it does... most times it doesnt!

We'll either win or lose...let's just start playing, already!!!

Mike in La Crosse, WI

Jackal
02-02-2011, 01:04 PM
Am I the only Steelers fan feeling somewhat confident about our chances on Sunday? Yeah, we struggled against the spread when we played New England, but we always struggle against Tom Brady and it was a statement game for them, since they lost to the lowly Browns the week before. Green Bay hasn't faced a defense that even pales in comparison to ours, and when they did, they struggled. Hell, Rodgers had 2 picks and a 55 QB rating last week against the Bears, and has shown time and time again that if you get a good lick or two on him, he'll start getting erratic.

Basing part of your worries on what Vegas says is pointless, too. I'm no expert on the subject, but I've heard it theorized that the Steelers are 2.5 point underdogs because the odds makers are thinking that, by making them an underdog, they'll incite Steelers fans and others to take the Steelers in an upset, and thus increase the overall amount of money wagered on the game. As I said, my understanding of sports betting is nil, so this could be complete b.s., but I'm just repeating what I've heard.

This may also ease your worry....in the past 10 Super Bowls where the line was 3 points or less, the underdog is 6-4:

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/article/20110202/SPORTS0101/102020339/1007/SPORTS/History-favors-3-point-underdog-Steelers

Farrior_roirraW
02-02-2011, 01:07 PM
Am I the only Steelers fan feeling somewhat confident about our chances on Sunday? Yeah, we struggled against the spread when we played New England, but we always struggle against Tom Brady and it was a statement game for them, since they lost to the lowly Browns the week before.]

The fact they lost tot he Browns really didn't help. But it was the TEs that killed us in that game... I'm not too worried about GB's TEs... maybe I would be if Finley wasn't hurt, but... :noidea:

kirklandrules
02-02-2011, 01:15 PM
No, because:

GB has yet to face a 3-4 defense like the Steelers.
The Steelers offense has played against a 3-4 defense several times this year.
The GB defense ranked #18 against the run. The Jets were ranked #3.
The core Steelers team plays angry and aggressive in big games and it's hard to see them having a let-down now.
Like the Jets and the Ravens before them, the GB dream is about to turn into a NIGHTMARE!!!!

grward
02-02-2011, 01:15 PM
Weren't the Jets supposed to spread the defense and use their TEs to kill us across the middle? You see how that worked out for them.

Here's how I look at it ... this game can go either way as the teams are a good matchup. I agree with ETL ... sometimes its best to "just enjoy the ride". :drink:

My nerves get all tangled up, once the game starts I can't eat a damn thing, but you know what? We are in the Super Bowl baby!! It's a great thing to worry about the game, have messed up nerves, and everything else that comes along with it. We could be sitting on the couch not caring about the outcome, but that's not the case.

So just cheer and scream like crazy and "just enjoy the ride"!!!!! :tt03:

WisconsinSteelerMan
02-02-2011, 01:20 PM
Here here, grward!! I am the same as you with my nerves getting all tied up an'at!

I can't wait until tjhis game is teed up and ready to go. Guarantee you that the Steelers will be PUMPED UP!!

Mike in La Crosse, WI
(A Steeler Lifer reporting from behind enemy lines)

FanSince72
02-02-2011, 01:32 PM
It's time to stop thinking about "us" beating "them" but rather the other way around.

We've reached a point in history where WE are the team to beat because we're better than anyone else out there. We're the team that's replacing the Patsies as "The Best" and it's up to GB to try to stop US!

So if anyone should be worried, it should be Packer fans.

Jackal
02-02-2011, 01:33 PM
Two more interesting facts regarding the Steelers as underdogs: the Steelers are 4-1 against the spread when playing a team with a winning record, 4-1 against the spread in their last five playoff games as underdogs, and 9-1 ATS in their last 10 playoff games overall.

Jackal
02-02-2011, 01:34 PM
No, because:

GB has yet to face a 3-4 defense like the Steelers.
The Steelers offense has played against a 3-4 defense several times this year.
The GB defense ranked #18 against the run. The Jets were ranked #3.
The core Steelers team plays angry and aggressive in big games and it's hard to see them having a let-down now.
Like the Jets and the Ravens before them, the GB dream is about to turn into a NIGHTMARE!!!!

:tt::tt::

Smith91
02-02-2011, 02:03 PM
:tt::tt::

Jackal,
You are sort of making my point. Pitt has a great record ats in playoffs but remember my point is that the favorite is due and a lot of money will be on the dog this year......Now is the time for the fav to cover. Call me crazy but I make a lot of money by being crazy, I have been watching ESPN for hours this morning and they keep acting as if Pitt will win. They even had a dog on the show eating from either a steeler bowl or a GB bowl, the dog picked the steeler bowl. According to espn the dog has picked the winner many times in the past by eating out of the teams bowl. That is all crap but I believe football is fixed and it always seems that the team ESPN pushes is the loser ats.

pete74
02-02-2011, 02:13 PM
2 years ago everyone said it was impossible for us to stop Fitzgerald, Boldin and Warner yet we did and won and we will win again sunday.

LegendSteel
02-02-2011, 02:24 PM
I just don't see them doing all that they've done so far, going through what they went through in the Ravens game and Jets game, only to come up short and lose to the Packers. Just isn't going to happen, in my opinion.

tanda10506
02-02-2011, 02:38 PM
Throw all that betting stuff away, this team is full of winners. The game your talking about against the Packers was last year and we played horrible most of last year including that game, and Ben still beat them in the end. I know a lot of people that are worried that GB is going to beat us the way the Patriots did earlier this year, that type of offense. No disrespect to GB but they're not that "capable". And they haven't played a defense like this since the last time they played this defense. Steelers will get it, the main reason they aren't favored is the media. GB is playing great and I don't want to take anything away from them, but the media is all over Rodgers. No worries.

Smith91
02-02-2011, 02:42 PM
2 years ago everyone said it was impossible for us to stop Fitzgerald, Boldin and Warner yet we did and won and we will win again sunday.
I completely disagree with that statement. We were favored by 7 points!!! Who was saying we couldn't stop Arizona? I never had the first worry before gametime, now at the end I was worried before the Roeth-Holmes connection. This game is different.... Every team in the playoffs except GB and NE patsies depend on the run to help their passing game. I knew we were beating balt and the jets. Both teams style of offense play right into our defense hands. Chicago would have been a great matchup for us because their offense plays to our defensive strengths. Gb on the other hand doesn't play to our strengths. Lets be real, our secondary is the weak point to our defense. I think Townsend and mcfadden are decent corners. Polamalu is a god. But they have 5 wr's they can get on the field at one time. I hate to mention this but how healthy is Polamalu??? He sure hasn't looked healthy in a long time. I am just being real about it. Our O-line is also banged up, and GB defense is very good also, especially at corners. Let us remember that Cappers- ex steeler is the GB def. coordinator. Just something to think about.

fer522
02-02-2011, 02:46 PM
the waiting time is killing me :banging: :banging:

acidburn517
02-02-2011, 02:55 PM
I don't quite get the point of the thread OP. So just to clarify, are you hoping to get reassurances from other fans to help you believe that the Steelers can pull off a win or are you trying to convince those who are optimistic in a win that the Steelers are really gonna lose and that we should just all lay down and take it?

Smith91
02-02-2011, 03:00 PM
Throw all that betting stuff away, this team is full of winners. The game your talking about against the Packers was last year and we played horrible most of last year including that game, and Ben still beat them in the end. I know a lot of people that are worried that GB is going to beat us the way the Patriots did earlier this year, that type of offense. No disrespect to GB but they're not that "capable". And they haven't played a defense like this since the last time they played this defense. Steelers will get it, the main reason they aren't favored is the media. GB is playing great and I don't want to take anything away from them, but the media is all over Rodgers. No worries.

Tanda,
I think throwing the betting stuff away is not the thing to do. If you look at what I am saying it makes sense.

2005 Pitt -3 vs Seattle Pitt wins and covers as a 6 seed. Most of the public thought the pitt run would end in Indy and they got lucky to be at the SBOWL.

2006 Indy -8 chic. This one vegas probably lost money. I would say most of America was on Indy since Manning was the face of the NFL. Indy won and covered.

2007 Pitt -7 Arizona -- Again vegas wins because American public was on Pitt. Pitt won game did not cover.

2008 NE - 13.5 NYG---- Vegas won big on this one, because all of America was predicting the undefeated season to be completed. Most of the bettors were on NE moneyline or spread.

2009 Indy- 3 NO--- I called this game, I knew the line just looked wrong..Again the dog covers when American public is on the face of the NFL=manning.

2010 GB-2.5 Pitt----If you look, last 3 years dog covers. Now looking at this game, Steeler nation and the Cheeseheads are nation wide, meaning both teams are popular. Their should be close to even money on both sides of this game. Which means even if the favorite wins vegas wins. This is the prime type game vegas loves. vegas would want the favorite to cover this game. Trust me I have been a handicapper for over 20 years and you can't do it that long and not be good.

So throw the betting out if you want but I just state facts that worry me.

pete74
02-02-2011, 03:03 PM
I completely disagree with that statement. We were favored by 7 points!!! Who was saying we couldn't stop Arizona? I never had the first worry before gametime, now at the end I was worried before the Roeth-Holmes connection. This game is different.... Every team in the playoffs except GB and NE patsies depend on the run to help their passing game. I knew we were beating balt and the jets. Both teams style of offense play right into our defense hands. Chicago would have been a great matchup for us because their offense plays to our defensive strengths. Gb on the other hand doesn't play to our strengths. Lets be real, our secondary is the weak point to our defense. I think Townsend and mcfadden are decent corners. Polamalu is a god. But they have 5 wr's they can get on the field at one time. I hate to mention this but how healthy is Polamalu??? He sure hasn't looked healthy in a long time. I am just being real about it. Our O-line is also banged up, and GB defense is very good also, especially at corners. Let us remember that Cappers- ex steeler is the GB def. coordinator. Just something to think about.

everyone from the different boards i was on at the time. they were tearing it up at the time and everyone thought the 3 were unstoppable. as for the spread(6.5 not 7), i dont give a shit about that. this is a win lose game and thats all that matters

as for the game sunday we dont have townshend and you dont seem to confident

Smith91
02-02-2011, 03:14 PM
I don't quite get the point of the thread OP. So just to clarify, are you hoping to get reassurances from other fans to help you believe that the Steelers can pull off a win or are you trying to convince those who are optimistic in a win that the Steelers are really gonna lose and that we should just all lay down and take it?

Well Acidburn,
I am doing several things. I would like feedback or a different point of view. I am warning steelers gambling enthusiasts to beware of taking the steelers. And I want to prepare other steelers fans like myself that are used to seeing Pitt win in the big game not to be too disappointed because I think we lose this one. And I am making a point that I think the entire NFL is rigged. Now you will think I am crazy by saying this but I have always been taught that anytime there are millions or billions involved there is a good chance things are not entirely on the up and up. Lets just think about NO Saints. Hurricane ruins the stadium, they have to play a lot of games on the road. Next, year they build a new billion dollar stadium and all of a sudden they are a good team. A few years of making a run into the playoffs and in 09 as NO city is coming back together the Saints win the big one.....Great story- maybe a little too good. Lets look at this from a business point of view. The NFL needs all teams to do well, The saints are not the cowbys or steelers that will always have true loyal fans and tradition. They have to build a new stadium and what better way to put asses in seats to help pay for that stadium than to make them a winner? Think about that. I can go all day from different angles to show you how easy this could happen.

Smith91
02-02-2011, 03:17 PM
Sorry I meant Ike Taylor. I was thinking about Townsend, And I am not confident. I think we are the better team but I am just looking at vegas. You may not think it matters what the line or vegas does but you would be wrong.

Jackal
02-02-2011, 03:23 PM
Jackal,
You are sort of making my point. Pitt has a great record ats in playoffs but remember my point is that the favorite is due and a lot of money will be on the dog this year......Now is the time for the fav to cover. Call me crazy but I make a lot of money by being crazy, I have been watching ESPN for hours this morning and they keep acting as if Pitt will win. They even had a dog on the show eating from either a steeler bowl or a GB bowl, the dog picked the steeler bowl. According to espn the dog has picked the winner many times in the past by eating out of the teams bowl. That is all crap but I believe football is fixed and it always seems that the team ESPN pushes is the loser ats.

Well, yesterday Freddie the Vulture picked the Steelers by eating from their bowl, as well. Never go against our feathered, and fur-covered, friends...they can sense earthquakes...and smell cancer. :wink02:

Paying too much attention to who the media picks will make you crazy. Two years ago, when the Steelers were favored, a lot of people were picking Arizona. Everyone wants to say "I told you so."

Jackal
02-02-2011, 03:28 PM
Well Acidburn,
I am doing several things. I would like feedback or a different point of view. I am warning steelers gambling enthusiasts to beware of taking the steelers. And I want to prepare other steelers fans like myself that are used to seeing Pitt win in the big game not to be too disappointed because I think we lose this one. And I am making a point that I think the entire NFL is rigged. Now you will think I am crazy by saying this but I have always been taught that anytime there are millions or billions involved there is a good chance things are not entirely on the up and up. Lets just think about NO Saints. Hurricane ruins the stadium, they have to play a lot of games on the road. Next, year they build a new billion dollar stadium and all of a sudden they are a good team. A few years of making a run into the playoffs and in 09 as NO city is coming back together the Saints win the big one.....Great story- maybe a little too good. Lets look at this from a business point of view. The NFL needs all teams to do well, The saints are not the cowbys or steelers that will always have true loyal fans and tradition. They have to build a new stadium and what better way to put asses in seats to help pay for that stadium than to make them a winner? Think about that. I can go all day from different angles to show you how easy this could happen.

I understand your point...the Patriots win after 9/11 and red, white, and blue confetti sprays everywhere, the Steelers win in dramatic fashion in Jerome Bettis' hometown in his last game...blah blah blah. Causal inference (A precedes B, so it must be the cause of B), is human nature, but it's also, in many cases, fallacious logic.

In that regard, I think the Steelers have the upper hand, as well. Where's the feel-good story in Green Bay winning? The Packers take home the Lombardi, 95% of the public couldn't care less, and the league makes less money in merchandise sales because they have a smaller fanbase. You want a better plot line? Our star QB, whose name is dragged through the mud because of some baseless allegations made by a drunk co-ed, serves his time and comes back to lead the league's most popular franchise to victory when everyone else counted them out...and in their arch-rivals' new stadium, nonetheless. Now, that's move-of-the-week material right there...and the league will sell a ton more t-shirts, hats, etc.

Buddha Bus
02-02-2011, 03:31 PM
Well Acidburn,

If you feel that strongly that the game is fixed, then why even watch it and put yourself through the grief? Unless it's the same as watching a suspenseful Hollywood movie for you. Relax. The problem is that there is too much time to fill between the championship games and the SB and the media has to beat every little thing to death and over-analyze the upcoming game just to have something to talk about. The Steelers are going to be just fine and the world will not end if they lose. Just enjoy the game. :tt02:

Jackal
02-02-2011, 03:41 PM
If you feel that strongly that the game is fixed, then why even watch it and put yourself through the grief? Unless it's the same as watching a suspenseful Hollywood movie for you. Relax. The problem is that there is too much time to fill between the championship games and the SB and the media has to beat every little thing to death and over-analyze the upcoming game just to have something to talk about. The Steelers are going to be just fine and the world will not end if they lose. Just enjoy the game. :tt02:

But how do you know the world won't end? How are you so sure that the only thing that's not seperating us from utter annihilation on December 21, 2012 isn't a victory by the Steelers on February 6, 2011? Maybe the volume of Steelers hats, t-shirts, and novelty car flags purchased in Western PA in February, 2011, could carry sufficient enough mass to balance the earth on its axis and avert a devastating polar shift.

Smith91
02-02-2011, 03:41 PM
Ok I have made it clear I am a steelers fan. No argument there right? Here is one for all steelers fans to remember. I remember this like yesterday. week 1 2007 Pitt vs SD Chargers. Pitt was a 5 point favorite, 82% of the bettors were betting on the steelers in this game. The final was pitt 11- 10 win over SD chargers. The final should have been 18-10 and pitt cover. The refs did everything but tackle pitt to keep the from covering the spread. The penalty yards were way out of wack in that game. They had a Willie Parker TD called back at the end and several other calls that were just bogus. At the end of the game Pitt kicks a fg to make it 11-10, If I remember correctly there were 3 seconds left when SD gave up a TD to Polamalu that would have allowed Pitt to cover. The refs took 15 minutes talking about the play with no time left on the clock. The only thing in question was the point spread. They took the TD away and 5 minutes after the game ended the refs claimed they blew the call!!!!!! Really? 15 min. to overturn a meaningless td only to say they blew the call? Here is the play. They claimed there was a forward latteral by Sd that nullified the Pitt TD but the forward latteral only stops the play if the ball hits the ground during the forward latteral. lay continued and on a backward latteral Polamalu scored. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzY_pnmHg8o&NR=1 the only thing effected was the point spread remember that...

grward
02-02-2011, 03:44 PM
Well Acidburn,

I hear so many people talk about the NFL being fixed. The problem with this conspiracy theory is that it takes too many people to fix a game. Along the way, after hundreds of games are fixed, someone, somewhere is going to spill the beans. Someone wanting to make amends on their death bed, someone who wants to sell a book, etc. It takes a hell of a lot more than one crooked Ref to throw flags to fix a game. Bad officiating can be overcome ... we know that first had as we lived through it this past season.

So exactly how is it that all these people involved in fixing games over the past 60+ years been kept quiet? I just don't buy into this theory b/c of that reason and that reason alone. I do believe a single person can TRY to change the outcome of the game ... but not to the extent you are trying to portray.

Sticking with the purpose of the thread ... ENJOY THE RIDE! Be glad you are even worrying about it!

Jackal
02-02-2011, 03:44 PM
Ok I have made it clear I am a steelers fan. No argument there right? Here is one for all steelers fans to remember. I remember this like yesterday. week 1 2007 Pitt vs SD Chargers. Pitt was a 5 point favorite, 82% of the bettors were betting on the steelers in this game. The final was pitt 11- 10 win over SD chargers. The final should have been 18-10 and pitt cover. The refs did everything but tackle pitt to keep the from covering the spread. The penalty yards were way out of wack in that game. They had a Willie Parker TD called back at the end and several other calls that were just bogus. At the end of the game Pitt kicks a fg to make it 11-10, If I remember correctly there were 3 seconds left when SD gave up a TD to Polamalu that would have allowed Pitt to cover. The refs took 15 minutes talking about the play with no time left on the clock. The only thing in question was the point spread. They took the TD away and 5 minutes after the game ended the refs claimed they blew the call!!!!!! Really? 15 min. to overturn a meaningless td only to say they blew the call? Here is the play. They claimed there was a forward latteral by Sd that nullified the Pitt TD but the forward latteral only stops the play if the ball hits the ground during the forward latteral. lay continued and on a backward latteral Polamalu scored. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzY_pnmHg8o&NR=1 the only thing effected was the point spread remember that...

Possible, yes. Probable, no. I think all this comes down to is the fact that NFL officials suck ass and the league needs full-time crews.

Jackal
02-02-2011, 03:47 PM
I hear so many people talk about the NFL being fixed. The problem with this conspiracy theory is that it takes too many people to fix a game. Along the way, after hundreds of games are fixed, someone, somewhere is going to spill the beans. Someone wanting to make amends on their death bed, someone who wants to sell a book, etc. It takes a hell of a lot more than one crooked Ref to throw flags to fix a game. Bad officiating can be overcome ... we know that first had as we lived through it this past season.

So exactly how is it that all these people involved in fixing games over the past 60+ years been kept quiet? I just don't buy into this theory b/c of that reason and that reason alone. I do believe a single person can TRY to change the outcome of the game ... but not to the extent you are trying to portray.

Sticking with the purpose of the thread ... ENJOY THE RIDE! Be glad you are even worrying about it!

I'll tell you how...the damn Freemasons. They're behind everything, don't you know? The Scottish Rite, the Illuminati, call them what you will, but they're hell-bent on two things...a New World Order and making sure Green Bay covers the spread.

Smith91
02-02-2011, 03:48 PM
here is the full version watch this and tell me it is not rigged............http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5YWfiq6zg

acidburn517
02-02-2011, 03:49 PM

But the all powerful Goodell who's probably in bed with the Vegas betting gods hates the Steelers so surely he can fix the game and make us lose!!!

LegendSteel
02-02-2011, 03:49 PM
here is the full version watch this and tell me it is not rigged............http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5YWfiq6zg

The URL contained a malformed video ID.

Smith91
02-02-2011, 03:53 PM

Ordinarily I would agree, especially if the players were involved. I believe the owners, refs, and mofia are involved. If this is to be the case, it may never come out. Fear and money would be the motivators to keep their mouths shut.

acidburn517
02-02-2011, 03:54 PM
The URL contained a malformed video ID.

It's the conspiracy in action. The NFL is trying to suppress the truth about the rigged games from coming out. :wink02:

Smith91
02-02-2011, 03:55 PM
lets try this again. full version of what happened. Pitt - 5 remember that and you decide. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5YWfiq6zg0

LegendSteel
02-02-2011, 04:01 PM
I'd have to disagree. There are many blown calls, but does that mean the game is fixed? No, it means the refs are human, it's a fast game, and they are under extreme pressure to get every call right.

This reminds me of all that "Loose Change" bull on Youtube. Please don't tell me you're one of those goofballs also.

Smith91
02-02-2011, 04:06 PM
I'd have to disagree. There are many blown calls, but does that mean the game is fixed? No, it means the refs are human, it's a fast game, and they are under extreme pressure to get every call right.

This reminds me of all that "Loose Change" bullshit on Youtube. Please don't tell me you're one of those goofballs also.

Lol, ok. Have you watched this video? They had replay, all the time in the world they needed. No pressure because game was already decided. The only thing in question was the point spread. This is one of thousands of videos I can show were the refs makes calls that only effect the point spread. I have watched football since I was 4 years old. Anyone that watches religiously knows there is some shit in the game. The question is are they willing to see it or admit it because of the love of the game?

Buddha Bus
02-02-2011, 04:13 PM
But how do you know the world won't end? How are you so sure that the only thing that's not seperating us from utter annihilation on December 21, 2012 isn't a victory by the Steelers on February 6, 2011? Maybe the volume of Steelers hats, t-shirts, and novelty car flags purchased in Western PA in February, 2011, could carry sufficient enough mass to balance the earth on its axis and avert a devastating polar shift.

I'll tell you how...the damn Freemasons. They're behind everything, don't you know? The Scottish Rite, the Illuminati, call them what you will, but they're hell-bent on two things...a New World Order and making sure Green Bay covers the spread.

:jawdrop: :willy: :yikes:

THAT'S IT! My cat and I are putting our protective gear on now and heading for the bomb shelter! It was nice knowing you all! :hide: :chuckle:

http://www.thelostogle.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/tin-foil-hat-3.jpg

http://www.outcastweb.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/tin-foil-hat.jpg

Smith91
02-02-2011, 04:17 PM
People that do not bet will never catch shit like this. I understand their will be mistakes by refs. it is expected but when it keeps happening at key points in a game that effect the pointspread you have to start questioning things. Another reminder, INDY vs PITT in the championship game 2005, Polamalu intercepts Manning on the last drive. Obvious interception, Polamalu falls down on his back with the ball, gets up and starts running, fumbles and recovers the fumble. Even with instant replay they call it incomplete. Perfection for vegas and the NFL is that Manning drive down the field and score. Indy wins but doesn't cover the spread. It didn't happen and Pitt won. After the game Joey Porter said I know everybody wants to see manning win one but don't take it from us. He was talking to the refs!!!! This brings me to the next point, I believe the refs are responsible for helping rig the games but I also believe it doesn't always turn out the way they want it too. They have to be careful to keep the integrity in the game and one loss can be made up at a different date. The important thing is to keep the public blind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Smith91
02-02-2011, 04:20 PM
lol, That is too funny. I know you probably think I am crazy. Whatever works, keep your head in the sand and don't look at any facts. When I say facts I mean things that actually happened that can be proven, like the video I just showed. I can provide as much as you could ever care to see. CONSPIRACY THEORIST OH MY GOD!!! RUN

Smith91
02-02-2011, 04:27 PM
OK, THIS IS THE SUPERBOWL. I believe we have the better team. I ask you to record the game and re- watch it when your emotions are in check. This is the prime type game that I believe to be rigged so just look for calls that can control the outcome. Or non calls that can control it. The favorite will win this superbowl!!! I just hope the line flips and pitt is favored.

vasteeler
02-02-2011, 04:35 PM
in my best mike tomlin voice ....we dont prescribe to that kind of hocus pocus

LegendSteel
02-02-2011, 04:37 PM
Smith91, I did watch the video, and I was at that game. Why when a ref makes a mistake on a close play, everyone freaks out and automatically assumes "conspiracy," "they were paid off," so on and so forth? Refs are graded based upon their performance after every game, and the best refs are the ones chosen to officiate playoff games and the Super Bowl. I highly doubt they want to make bad calls and end up sitting at home in January/February when they could be doing what they love.

Also, your logic is flawed simply by what has happened over the course of this year. Say it is fixed...why has this whole year been seemingly anti-Steelers when it comes to the refs? The Steelers being successful is one of the best scenarios for the NFL, money-wise. They'd have to be complete morons to purposely make sure the Steelers are unsuccessful.

What about the fumble in the Ravens game? If they were so intent on covering spreads, why did they increase the chances of it NOT being covered by calling that a TD? They could have just as easily said incomplete pass.

What about the 2008 Hochuli debacle? Ed, his crew, and that one call were the sole cause of that game NOT covering the spread.

What about the 2005 Steelers? They were underdogs the entire playoffs except for the Super Bowl, and they won them all! If this were true, you really think they'd allow 3 games in a row (CIN, IND, DEN) go uncovered?

Like I said, refs are human and mistakes are made...that's part of the game. If you can't accept that and get so distraught over it, then why do you even follow the NFL? There are just as many examples that prove the contrary (as I mentioned above), as there are to support your claim. It's not lopsided either way.

dsr
02-02-2011, 06:50 PM
Smith91 - have you really thought this through? What you're saying is, that on any given Sunday there are 32 teams x 53 players, 1696 players in all, plus who knows how many coaches, IR players, etc. Every one of those men is earning $400,000+, and many of them earning millions or tens of millions.

And yet they're all actors like the WWF (whether they know it or not). Because there's 8 refs at each game, 128 men, plus a bunch of reserves sitting at home. All those 128 men are doing the real work of cheating; none of them are men of integrity when it comes to rules. And they're getting paid so relatively little that they have to have a day job, while watching the fancy dans get millions for pretence; and all 128+ have such strong integrity that they won't let on.

There's a contradiction. I doubt you can have a group of 128 men who are all 100% reliable, I doubt even more you can have 128 men who are all 100% crooked, and I say it's impossible that you can have 128 men who you pay peanuts to lie for you and have them remain totally honest.

SteelCityMom
02-02-2011, 08:12 PM
Ok I have made it clear I am a steelers fan. No argument there right? Here is one for all steelers fans to remember. I remember this like yesterday. week 1 2007 Pitt vs SD Chargers.

This was week 11 in 2008.

Pitt was a 5 point favorite, 82% of the bettors were betting on the steelers in this game. The final was pitt 11- 10 win over SD chargers. The final should have been 18-10 and pitt cover. The refs did everything but tackle pitt to keep the from covering the spread. The penalty yards were way out of wack in that game. They had a Willie Parker TD called back at the end and several other calls that were just bogus. At the end of the game Pitt kicks a fg to make it 11-10, If I remember correctly there were 3 seconds left when SD gave up a TD to Polamalu that would have allowed Pitt to cover. The refs took 15 minutes talking about the play with no time left on the clock. The only thing in question was the point spread. They took the TD away and 5 minutes after the game ended the refs claimed they blew the call!!!!!! Really? 15 min. to overturn a meaningless td only to say they blew the call? Here is the play. They claimed there was a forward latteral by Sd that nullified the Pitt TD but the forward latteral only stops the play if the ball hits the ground during the forward latteral. lay continued and on a backward latteral Polamalu scored. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzY_pnmHg8o&NR=1 the only thing effected was the point spread remember that...

Yeah...we all remember that. Why do you keep watching if you think it's all fixed?

grward
02-02-2011, 09:15 PM
There just needs to be too many people involved for it to be fixed. So who do you get to throw the game? The Refs? But, how would that work if the defense is playing lights out? What if you include some main guys on the defense, buy them off. But, how would that work if the offense is on fire. So then you need to buy off some of those guys too. Like I said, too many people to involve. That's my opinion.

However, there are a lot of people who would agree with Smith91. And there is also might be data that may support that theory. But I can find data to support just about any theory out there. I just don't buy into the NFL being fixed.

steelerchad
02-02-2011, 10:13 PM
So, OK. Let's see for a minute. After the 1st quarter of the NFC Championship game Rodgers was pretty awful. I like our D better than the Bears D. I also like our O better than the Bears O. The Packers have been mediocre at stopping the run. We ran the ball down the Jets #3 ranked run D. Sure, the Packers give us some matchup problems. So did the Jets and Ravens. I know Rodgers is better than both those QB's, but those teams also have much better run games to help. The Pack is 1 dimensional in this game, which is what any D tries to make their opponent. Now lets see if Aaron can continue marching his team down the field for TD's all game. In my opinion, he's going to have to because we're putting at least 27 on the Pack. Remember, the Steelers will give you the short stuff and make you go 12 plays. You will need to avoid the sack, fumble, INT, holding penalty if you want to score. If you are lucky enough to get in the red zone, our D is great at stiffening and holding you to a FG attempt.
Am I worried, sure. It's the Super Bowl. It's the biggest game of the year and we'll be playing a quality opponent. If we execute to our ability, we will win this game.

madtowndrunkard
02-02-2011, 11:00 PM
A little fuel for your fire..... that buffalo game this year. That looked to me to be one of the most blatant corrupt officiating I've seen in a very very long time.

I'm not naive enough to think NFL games can't be fixed.

It is a known fact that past games in the NBA, NCAABB, NCAAFB, and MLB have been fixed. Players, refs, coaches, etc have all been on the take. So why not the NFL?

Anyone familiar with Wisconsin Badgers football will remember quite well the infamous power outage in Las Vegas. If big 10 football can be rigged why can't the NFL?

The game against SD is pretty blatant. Frankly it would be pretty tough to argue that it wasn't fixed. Why on earth would an offial take meaningless points off the board? The steelers won the game....it was called a TD. Then reviewed and points taken away? There is no reason to remove points of an already decided game. Sure it could have been an honest mistake. An entire professional officiating crew forgot the rules....took 10-15 minutes to figure out what happened...then got it wrong. These guys have been probably officiating football games most of their lives....but something as simple as picking up a backward lateral is botched? ok

madtowndrunkard
02-02-2011, 11:03 PM
Frankly I thought back to when they instituted instant replay as a tool for the officals...I thought it was awfully convenient that at the 2 minute mark only the officials can call for a replay. Why do you lose challenges after being correct? Why cant' you challenge any call that is bad?

I remember in that Ravens game after we lost our challenges, I was terrified the officials were going to take the game away.

Acerinox
02-03-2011, 01:17 AM
There are 2 different issues at stake here.

The first is the idea that an overarching and malevolent super-force is dictacting the results of games, and generally with ill will towards Pitt. I think we can probably discard this without too much debate.

The second is more serious. It is certain that there is some degree of suborned cheating in this game, funded by gambling money. If there is not - then the NFL is the only professional sport immune to it on earth. You can't call that a conspiracy theory. There are facts, evidence and a trail of convictions to prove it.

But goes on is usually anything-but dramatic. More than likely there are a handful of guys around the league, players and officials, who for whatever reason are on-the-take. It might be an O Lineman who gets a call - make sure you throw in a couple of false starts in the second quarter. People bet on that sort of thing, you know. Or it might be an official who would get the call.

Now he would be told "Do what you can to favor x team." But there's only so much he can reasonably do without being uncovered, and his paymasters would expect that.

Frankly, I would normally say that the SuperBowl was too big a game to get undermined in this way. But the gambling money is real big, so you never know. If the England-Australia Rugby World Cup Final could be corrupted, then maybe nothing is immune.

dsr
02-03-2011, 06:41 AM
There are 2 different issues at stake here.

Frankly, I would normally say that the SuperBowl was too big a game to get undermined in this way. But the gambling money is real big, so you never know. If the England-Australia Rugby World Cup Final could be corrupted, then maybe nothing is immune.

Speaking from England, I've never heard that the Rugby Union World Cup Final was corrupted - though it was badly refereed. Is that what the accusations were about?