PDA

View Full Version : "The Man Of The Hour" - SI Print Magazine Story By King On Goodell

Atlanta Dan
02-02-2011, 10:56 AM
By way of introduction I will quote Bob Smizik's link to the story in his blog:chuckle:

As a public service, because I know how much the man is revered by readers of this blog, here is the in-depth, Peter King-story on NFL commissioner Roger Goodell. It was while the interviewing for this story was taking place that Goodell made the comment about Ben Roethlisberger that caused such a stir this week. There is no mention of Roethlisberger in this story.

The Man Of The Hour:frown:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1181467/index.htm

FanSince72
02-02-2011, 01:08 PM
OK, so I read it.

The article tries to make a point of Goodell being a problem solver and hints at him having a person's best interests at heart but I'm not sure I buy that.

What I got from the article was a guy who had no problem reaching an agreement as long as it was something HE wanted. In the comment to Rooney about Hines; that Rooney doesn't think his players do anything wrong, it implies that Hines WAS wrong and that's strictly a matter of opinion.

As far as Vick is concerned, he plays right into Goodell's ego. If Vick had taken Roethlisberger's stance and chose not to be so apologetic, where would he be now? No one can answer that, but I'd bet that Vick would be having a much tougher time of it than he has.

I think the article glosses over the fact that Goodell's ego seems to be more at the center of what drives him or that his own version of what's right and what's wrong is all he sees. I don't see anything in that article that shows Goodell as being capable of truly seeing another point of view or conceding that what he thinks may not always be the right answer.

I wish the Roethlisberger incident was included in the article because Goodell's insistence that Ben's suspension was not only fair but necessary or that he had no support throughout the league would better make my point. Goodell "decided" what Ben was to him and that's all there is to it. It didn't matter that there were no charges filed or arrests made. What mattered to Goodell is that when he told Ben he was out for six-weeks and Ben expressed his displeasure with Goodell's decision and essentially refused to play the "I'm sorry daddy" role, the die was cast because no one questions a decision made by Goodell.

Which seems to be the most prominent point made by the article.

(In my humble opinion, of course).

Atlanta Dan
02-02-2011, 01:16 PM
To follow-up on Vick & Goodell becoming BFFs, this was an interesting nugget

On Jan. 9, a half hour after the Eagles had fallen to Green Bay in the playoffs, Goodell texted Vick: I'm sorry about the loss. You had an incredible year. Remember the progress. I'm very proud of you.

A few minutes later Goodell's phone vibrated with a text response from Vick: Thanks Roger! I will continue to make you and my family proud!

Wonder if Harrison and Roethlisberger also are secret texting buddies of the Commmissioner?:chuckle:

Atlanta Dan
02-02-2011, 01:20 PM
What mattered to Goodell is that when he told Ben he was out for six-weeks and Ben expressed his displeasure with Goodell's decision and essentially refused to play the "I'm sorry daddy" role, the die was cast because no one questions a decision made by Goodell.

Maybe not but it looks like Belichick double crossed him after the plea agreement to resolve Spygate and Goodell took no action in response

Goodell told Kraft that, as part of the disciplinary action, Belichick would have to make a verbal apology in front of the press that week. Instead the coach issued a printed statement and refused to answer any questions on the topic. "I was given assurances that [Belichick] would tell his side of the story," Goodell says. "He went out and stonewalled the press. I feel like I was deceived."

Belichick responds, "I did not make any assurances about thoroughly discussing the subject publicly. I said I would address it following the league's review. I then did that in a way I thought was appropriate. I don't think that was deceptive."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1181467/8/index.htm

SH-Rock
02-02-2011, 01:37 PM
To follow-up on Vick & Goodell becoming BFFs, this was an interesting nugget

On Jan. 9, a half hour after the Eagles had fallen to Green Bay in the playoffs, Goodell texted Vick: I'm sorry about the loss. You had an incredible year. Remember the progress. I'm very proud of you.

A few minutes later Goodell's phone vibrated with a text response from Vick: Thanks Roger! I will continue to make you and my family proud!

Wonder if Harrison and Roethlisberger also are secret texting buddies of the Commmissioner?:chuckle:

WOW! Can his bias be any more prevalent.

OX1947
02-02-2011, 01:54 PM
I would like DeMaurice Smith to tell the Owners, get rid of Goodell and we will make a deal on your concessions. I am a reasonable man, and I know business and sports is a hard job to do. But Goodell has been the worst owner in sports since i have been aware of how things work. That says a lot considering I have watched Bud Selig and David Stern do their things. I use to think David Stern was bad, and Selig was a moron, but one thing they never did, was crap like this. You set rules and people follow them. You dont just set them on a whim and fine people their livelihood. You dont talk about personal situations of your players when it is already been taken care of. And all those ignorant idiots who criticized James Harrison for being mad about losing 100K in fines because he has 51 million dollar contract, let me point out your hypocrisy:

Recent surveys say 60% of athletes go broke after they are done playing. And 51 million isn't 51 million. Its 20 mil guaranteed. Which means 31 mil of that is unknown. 20 million with taxes, agents, managers, etc, probably is 6 to 8 mil in take home. he is the youngest of 14 kids, has his own kid, AND factoring in that he will be retired in the next 5 to 6 years, how does 100K now sound? You sit there and complain and gloat about players who over spend and then you piss on him for being mad about losing 100K in fine for playing football.

DO YOUR HOMEWORK. Quite being hypocrites.

OX1947
02-02-2011, 01:56 PM
Maybe not but it looks like Belichick double crossed him after the plea agreement to resolve Spygate and Goodell took no action in response

Goodell told Kraft that, as part of the disciplinary action, Belichick would have to make a verbal apology in front of the press that week. Instead the coach issued a printed statement and refused to answer any questions on the topic. "I was given assurances that [Belichick] would tell his side of the story," Goodell says. "He went out and stonewalled the press. I feel like I was deceived."

Belichick responds, "I did not make any assurances about thoroughly discussing the subject publicly. I said I would address it following the league's review. I then did that in a way I thought was appropriate. I don't think that was deceptive."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1181467/8/index.htm

because Bill Belichick is a piece of shit. It has nothing to do with football. Goodell saved his arse by burning those tapes, yet, he says these things. He is a piece of crap, I can see it, and if you open your eyes, you can see it. Nothing t do with football, he just is. Bill Parcells was an ahole too, to the media, to players he didnt like, etc, but Bill Parcells wasnt a sneaky jerkoff poser. Big difference.

tony hipchest
02-02-2011, 05:11 PM
why does goodell not care about a running back getting a concussion. they probably have the shortest lifespan in the nfl of any position and incure the most hits of just about anyone.

are they not important people too?