PDA

View Full Version : SI Super Bowl Prediction - Ramblin' Scramblin' Men

Atlanta Dan
02-02-2011, 12:39 PM
Ramblin' Scramblin' Men
Both quarterbacks excel at making big plays on the run. Whichever D does the better job of stopping them will come out on top in Dallas
Peter King

Forensic societies could debate all day the order in which the NFL's active great quarterbacks should be placed. Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, Ben Roethlisberger, Aaron Rodgers ... something like that. And there's room, too, for Philip Rivers or Matt Ryan in the discussion. But there is one thing that Roethlisberger and Rodgers do—and you'll see it on Sunday in Super Bowl XLV—that those first three quarterbacks hate: They leave the pocket. And they do it well....

Before the 2004 draft Roethlisberger's coach at Miami (Ohio), the late Terry Hoeppner, prepared a tape for NFL teams called Great Escapes—highlights of Roethlisberger evading trouble and making plays. It was something Hoeppner thought his player did better than that year's other top QB prospects, Rivers and Eli Manning. When Manning was chosen first, Hoeppner, sitting with the Roethlisberger family at the draft in New York, tossed his phone in anger; that's how strongly he felt Roethlisberger would be the best of the group. There is little question that NFL scouts, who wondered if Roethlisberger would be as effective making plays running the ball and throwing on the run at the NFL level, were wrong and Hoeppner was right....

There will be more points scored in this game than you think. The roof at Cowboys Stadium will be closed, and it will be a windless 72 inside. Passers will be able to get a great grip on the ball. Each team has fleet deep threats. Get your popcorn ready, as one infamous former Cowboy said. I like Roethlisberger to make a few more plays than Rodgers. Not many more, but enough.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1181470/index.htm

FanSince72
02-02-2011, 01:36 PM
Thanks for the support Pete but I'm still pissed about the hit piece you wrote about Ben.

Say "Hi" to Ms. Goodell for me when you see her!