PDA

View Full Version : SI - Steelers are Tomlin's team this time around

Atlanta Dan
02-02-2011, 05:12 PM
Make no mistake: Steelers are Tomlin's team this time around
Don Banks

When Mike Tomlin last reached this game, winning it two years ago in Tampa to give the Pittsburgh Steelers their league-record sixth Super Bowl ring, some said he had fortuitously ridden Bill Cowher's old team to the title. It was seen as another triumph for the Steeler Way more than a triumph for Tomlin, and Pittsburgh's second-year head coach seemed part of the celebration tableau, without exactly being front and center in the victory parade.

But there's no such confusion about who's leading the way this time around, with the Steelers returning to the Super Bowl for the second time in three seasons. This is Tomlin's team, and if there's a feel I've gotten from Super Bowl XLV so far, it's that Mike Tomlin is really feeling it this week. Fully in charge. Fully in the moment. And sometimes, for a coach who has never lacked in self-confidence or swagger, maybe even a tad full of himself....

"It's his team now,'' Pittsburgh receiver Hines Ward said. "But when he first inherited the team, a lot of those players were under Coach Cowher and did things Coach Cowher's way. Mike Tomlin was very militant when he came here. He wanted to see who was going to challenge his authority and he got rid of some of the guys who did.(Faneca):thmbdown:

"He kept the guys who followed what he wanted. He just wanted to lay down the law. 'This is my team, and I don't care how Coach Cowher did things.' A lot of the guys respected him for that. Once he got a full year or two in and got to know us, then he let up a little bit. He gave guys off time and stuff like that. I think guys love playing for him. He's just a pro's coach and he stands up for everybody.''...

As self-assured as ever, Tomlin this week hasn't been afraid to talk about having even more Super Bowl success at so young an age. Asked if he lets himself look at the ring he won two years ago, Tomlin said he's too busy looking ahead to look back.

"I don't look at it too often,'' he said. "I'm always concerned about my next one. I have three kids and two rings, so I need another one.''

Tomlin isn't riding shotgun of this Steelers Super Bowl team. He's the driving force this time around, and his players know the Steeler Way and the Tomlin Way have merged and become one.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/don_banks/02/02/mike-tomlin/index.html?eref=sihp

Curdoisseur
02-02-2011, 05:45 PM
It's just so cool that Tomlin is able to do all that and still play a major role on House every week...

43Hitman
02-02-2011, 05:49 PM
It's just so cool that Tomlin is able to do all that and still play a major role on House every week...

The Standard is the Standard. :chuckle:

Merchant
02-02-2011, 05:49 PM

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_sla7iSO9rpM/SwwA-jJMOrI/AAAAAAAAAp0/O7FSPaJrxlw/s1600/mike-tomlin-omar-epps.jpg

SeinfeldNut
02-02-2011, 06:02 PM
Glad to see Mike Tomlin mold and shape this team in his first couple of years as head coach, he has set the team up for long term success & could not be happier to have him as our Head Coach.

tube517
02-02-2011, 06:49 PM
Yep, this isn't his first rodeo. As far as coaching and being on House, it's nice to have that tool in the toolbox.

Danny136200
02-02-2011, 07:01 PM
Damn right.

rocckbottomxmen
02-02-2011, 09:00 PM
Damn right.

I second that