PDA

View Full Version : guess santonio holmes contract?????????

tony hipchest
05-03-2006, 05:00 PM
i havent looked at what h. miller got last year, or what other receivers drafted in the mid twenties got in the past, so i could be way off. being that he was the 1st wr taken may give his agent some leverage. but the steelers are the sb champs and dont f- around when it comes to negotiations so bye bye leverage. im gonna say a 5 year deal, worth about 12-14 million, and about 3.5 guaranteed. bens contract had loads of incentives. i think we will see the same with holmes. ($250 k for every pro bowl, $100,000 for 1000 yds or 10 td's, $250 k if he leads the teams in receptions???)

dSharp
05-03-2006, 05:10 PM
That sounds about right. I really doubt there will be any problems signing the guy. It's just real encouraging to know that this is a team he was hoping to get drafted by, he's a fan of the team, etc. I really don't see him being a guy who bolts later on in his career. The FO will give him a fair deal and he'll be pretty quick to sign, I think.

Cowher and Colbert were on Sirius NFL radio today, and both said that Santonio was a player they all wanted but didn't think they'd have a chance at, until everything unfolded. I think the fact that they had targeted him early on in the process and moved up to get him kind of gives you a feeling that they will try and give him the right deal.

If they had sat at 32 and let him fall to them (in comparison to moving up) it might be a different story contract offer-wise.

Suitanim
05-03-2006, 06:12 PM
More importantly, will he be signed before camp opens?

Nowadays, with very few exceptions, it's almost a given that contract negotiations for first round picks won't even begin in earnest until camp opens, which is retarded, since everyone loses in that scenario.

Who's Holmes agent?

tony hipchest
05-03-2006, 06:22 PM
Who's Holmes agent?

i was wondering the same thing. lets hope its a cousin and not rosenhaus or the postons. if he gets good advice hell try to get steinberg. he does the best for the player and seems to get the most value without completely trying to rake the team ovr the coals.

ben is a rich man, and the deal was fair (yet expensive, for the steelers) i think holmes may be pricey too. he'll be getting more than c.wilson for sure. ($8 mil./4yrs)

actually, after thinking about it my original guess is probably the cheapest we can hope to get him. but the steelers are good, they should be able to get him into camp

Suitanim
05-03-2006, 06:36 PM
Can't find it after a simple google search, which is actually good news...if it was Poston or Rosenhaus, a result would have popped up.

Santonio4
05-04-2006, 10:25 AM
He will get paid a lot, just like everyone else in the NFL.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-04-2006, 12:28 PM
Can't find it after a simple google search, which is actually good news...if it was Poston or Rosenhaus, a result would have popped up.

If he were to have signed with the Posten brothers I think I'd have to question him some. Those guy are bad news for anybody, especially 1st rounders!

Haiku_Dirtt
05-04-2006, 02:09 PM
i was wondering the same thing. lets hope its a cousin and not rosenhaus or the postons. if he gets good advice hell try to get steinberg. he does the best for the player and seems to get the most value without completely trying to rake the team ovr the coals.

ben is a rich man, and the deal was fair (yet expensive, for the steelers) i think holmes may be pricey too. he'll be getting more than c.wilson for sure. ($8 mil./4yrs)

actually, after thinking about it my original guess is probably the cheapest we can hope to get him. but the steelers are good, they should be able to get him into camp

Ced is going to love that.

Steinberg has been having some problems. Shoving Akili Smith down the Bengals throat was a nice side show. You got to think that Omar knew what it was going to take to sign Holmes before the greenlight to move up came on. Incentives should pave the way - they have Ben's contract to prove the point.

Blitzburgh55
05-04-2006, 02:39 PM
i say he get like 5 mill a year

clevestinks
05-04-2006, 03:39 PM
I`m thinking more along the lines of 2 mil a year, with 5 million cash bonus

Busforever
05-04-2006, 04:15 PM

If it was Poston or Rosenhaus, Pittsburgh wouldn't have drafted Holmes, I think.

TheTruestBlackGoldFan
05-04-2006, 04:21 PM
I`m thinking more along the lines of 2 mil a year, with 5 million cash bonus

i agree with that one, Ike taylor is proven and he is only making 1.7mil per...doubt its much over that.

tony hipchest
05-04-2006, 05:01 PM
this is kind of a tough topic to find info on. since i think matt jones was the closest wr drafted to 25th last year (21st) i found his rookie contract (in a really good article about this years crop of randle el qb/wr hybrids:

http://nfldraftalmanac.com/index.php?c=2&a=587

"Matt Jones' rookie contract, as 21st overall pick by the Jacksonville Jaguars, resulted in him signing a deal that guaranteed him $6.3 million in the first year of his contract and $11 million over the length of his first NFL contract of five years."

from this we can deduce that:

holmes will be worth a little less cause he was drafted 4 spots lower

holmes will be worth a little more cause he is not a project and regarded as the #1 wr in this years class.

he will be worth a little more cause the salary cap went up so much this year.

i dont know how good of a reference point matt jones is. but its a start. looks like holmes will be getting one hell of a signing bonus though. probably about 6-7 mil.

tony hipchest
05-04-2006, 05:07 PM
while this is like comparing apples and oranges it seems like cleve has predicted a good basement for a bonus. holmes can maybe average 3 mil/yr for 5 years. which seems very fair and a contract (if he lives up to billing ) could easilly outpreform.

MasterOfPuppets
05-04-2006, 05:16 PM
this is kind of a tough topic to find info on. since i think matt jones was the closest wr drafted to 25th last year (21st) i found his rookie contract (in a really good article about this years crop of randle el qb/wr hybrids:

http://nfldraftalmanac.com/index.php?c=2&a=587

"Matt Jones' rookie contract, as 21st overall pick by the Jacksonville Jaguars, resulted in him signing a deal that guaranteed him $6.3 million in the first year of his contract and $11 million over the length of his first NFL contract of five years."

from this we can deduce that:

holmes will be worth a little less cause he was drafted 4 spots lower

holmes will be worth a little more cause he is not a project and regarded as the #1 wr in this years class.

he will be worth a little more cause the salary cap went up so much this year.

i dont know how good of a reference point matt jones is. but its a start. looks like holmes will be getting one hell of a signing bonus though. probably about 6-7 mil.you forgot that cost of living has went up about a million...this guys got a family to feed...:binky:

tony hipchest
07-26-2006, 02:55 PM
im now thinking holmes contract is gonna be cheaper than i originally thought. looking at the deals chad jackson and sinorice moss got, ontop of holmes off the field trouble he definitely wont be getting a $6 million bonus. i have a feeling he may think hes worth what the #1 wr drafted in past years got. hope im wrong or hes gonna severely stunt his own growth.

Chad Jackson's rookie deal with the Patriots is a four-year package that doesn't include a signing bonus. Jackson will be paid a $452,000 roster bonus and has a $1.64 million option bonus, which is probably payable in March. He receives $90,000 workout bonuses in both 2008 and 2009, and $250,000 of his base salary is guaranteed in 2007. He also has a $100,000 bonus for winning the Rookie of the Year. ...

The four-year contract is worth $3.51 million and includes $1.91 million in guarantees. The Giants also included $100,000 in incentives, which isn't often done on a second-round contract.

The 44th player chosen overall, Moss

SteelerFanInCA
07-26-2006, 02:58 PM
Yeah, I have to agree. I can't see Santonio getting all that much based on the numbers I am seeing from the other signings.

SteelProven
07-26-2006, 04:47 PM
Here's my guess

WR Santonio Holmes (Ohio State/No. 25 selection overall). Signing bonus: $5,000,000. Base salaries: $325,000 (2006); $510,000 (2007, plus $2,000,000 option bonus); $640,000 (2008); $700,000 (2010); $800,000 (2011).Total: five years, $7,475,000. Salary cap charge: $825,000.

Randle el#82
07-26-2006, 09:56 PM
10 grand aweek for staying out of jail

X-Terminator
07-28-2006, 09:30 AM
Any contract he signs will include some kind of "conduct clause" where if he gets into trouble again, he has to pay back a portion of his signing bonus. The prospect of losing millions of dollars may light a fire under his ass and make him want to stay on the up-and-up.

tony hipchest
07-28-2006, 09:36 AM
Any contract he signs will include some kind of "conduct clause" where if he gets into trouble again, he has to pay back a portion of his signing bonus. The prospect of losing millions of dollars may light a fire under his ass and make him want to stay on the up-and-up.

from the article in the "steelers sign reid" thread:

Agent Joel Segal and Steelers chief negotiator Omar Khan are discussing a five-year contract for Holmes, the longest he can receive under rules of the NFL's new collective bargaining agreement. Also, because of the new CBA that was implemented in March, the team cannot insert any language in the contract that would cancel part or all of his signing bonus if he were to be arrested again. Holmes has been arrested twice since he was drafted.

i dont know if this is because his alleged crimes were committed before he was under contract as a steeler. hell of a coup for the players union to get that into the cba.

X-Terminator
07-28-2006, 09:52 AM
I didn't read that thread, so thanks for the heads-up. I think it sucks, quite frankly. So basically he would have a license to be a screw-up, and still make off with millions of dollars. Doesn't seem fair to me at all.