PDA

View Full Version : Tomiln recieved zero votes for COTY

Deserei90
02-02-2011, 08:29 PM
I really don't care if he won or not, I just want to win The Superbowl, but to receive zero votes that's alittle weird::noidea: Here's the caterogy: Bill Belichick, Patriots --- 30
Raheem Morris, Buccaneers --- 11
Todd Haley, Chiefs --- 4
Mike Smith, Falcons --- 1
Andy Reid, Eagles --- 1
...Lovie Smith ,Bears --- 1
Steve Spagnuolo, Rams --- 1

sackmaster56
02-02-2011, 08:35 PM
just like Big Ben and Harrison. NO RESPECT!

El Nino
02-02-2011, 08:35 PM
funny how the top votes all went 1 and done or missed the playoffs entirely.

if anything, we should be glad tomlin isn't up there, that's bad company to be in :)

El Nino
02-02-2011, 08:36 PM
no votes for the packers coach? i think he deserves a ton of respect. 16 of his players went on IR and took a 6th seed to the super bowl, that deserves some props at least.

todd haley deserves it more than belichick. the pats* are good every year, the chiefs went from worst to first in the west. raheem morris too, his bucs were 4-12 last year

tube517
02-02-2011, 08:37 PM
This award was sponsored by SONY so Bellicheat is a lock

Deserei90
02-02-2011, 08:37 PM
funny how the top votes all went 1 and done or missed the playoffs entirely.

if anything, we should be glad tomlin isn't up there, that's bad company to be in :)Maybe, but idt know. I thought he would at least be shown, so that they know he was worth being on that list, but it don't matter to me really.

Wallace108
02-02-2011, 08:39 PM
What a great year for Belichick ... he was named Coach of the Year and he got to coach the AFC in the Pro Bowl. Congrats, coach ... job well done! :thumbsup:

tube517
02-02-2011, 08:41 PM
He did great too, without the cameras, continuing his postseason "success"

What a great year for Belichick ... he was named Coach of the Year and he got to coach the AFC in the Pro Bowl. Congrats, coach ... job well done! :thumbsup:

rocckbottomxmen
02-02-2011, 08:54 PM
Its ok, Individual accolades are not there thing. Remember the standard is the standard. And our standard is Lombardi's

madtowndrunkard
02-02-2011, 09:23 PM
It is my belief that the league very concerned with game attendance and TV ratings in certain markets.

There are plenty of markets were ticket sales and TV ratings are down.

I think the league is done with the Steelers dominating the sport. The commissioner hates it. It does not help the league in the big picture. The league wants mediocrity. The league wants a new SB winner every year.

There are plenty of other franchises though that are actually struggling to sell out games. They are struggling with TV ratings. Why? A very big reason IMO is many of these markets don't have a chance.

Before week one everyone knows the season is over for the 49ers, Browns, Lions, Bills, Panthers, Dolphins, etc. Occasionally a team with tease you with some promise but ultimately the fall short every single season. The Texans and Jags for example. If the steelers and packers have a horrible season they still sell out. They still generate huge TV ratings. So the success from these two teams really does nothing to help the league. Now if NY and Chicago were in the SB it would be huge for the league. If you had playoff appearances from teams that don't normally win, its huge for the NFL.

Over the last 10 years it's been all Pittsburgh and NE. During the 90s' it was the Cowboys and Broncos. During the 80s it was the 49ers. during the 70s it was the steelers. Basically 5-6 teams have dominated the sport over the past 40 years. The NFL needs these other markets to emerge. I think that is Goodell's mission. We are seeing rule changes to stop the Steelers. Dont be shocked if under the new CBA more is done to stop the steelers and help teams that struggle. A rookie salary cap for example would be huge to these teams that always seem to have top 5 picks. I fully expect the league to do more to stop defenses and prevent dynasties.

The nfl is probably not really interested in giving us another Lombardi or giving us praise. The friggen commissioner is slamming our QB to the media for christ sake. We now have two teams in the SB that employ the exact same defense. Don't be shocked if the 3-4 is outlawed some day.

fer522
02-02-2011, 09:24 PM
I really don't care if he won or not, I just want to win The Superbowl, but to receive zero votes that's alittle weird: Here's the caterogy: Bill Belichick, Patriots --- 30
Todd Haley, Chiefs --- 4
Andy Reid, Eagles --- 1

that's 3 superbowl rings between all of them(as the head coach)
and Tomlin is close to getting his second ring' im willing to bet money that he don't give a shit about how many votes he got :noidea:

GMU Steeler
02-02-2011, 09:36 PM
I don't know if I would have voted for Tomlin since after all I thought we had a shot at the division though I am pleasantly surprised we made it as far as we have and he has done a great job. I do think it's nonsense however that Belichick won and Tomlin got zlitch votes. Guys lke Haley and Morris are much more deserving than Belichick IMO. Yeah many thought the Pats would take a step back to REx and the Jets this year but Morris and Haley took two teams that were in the top 5 worst teams last year to very respectable records and I think if TB is in another division in the NFC, they would have made the playoffs.

TRH
02-02-2011, 09:39 PM
Belichick had a good year....but coach of the year?? No way.
No votes for coach Ryan in NY? None for GB's head coach?
Now i know we can't win every award, but considering the off-the-field issues with your biggest star, Troy being in and out, our decimated OL, Aaron Smith being out and to keep it all together and keep WINNING....
You're telling me that Belichick deserves the coach of the year award?? Booooooooooooooooooo.....
Something really stinks here. Funny how Belichick wins this and Brady wins offensive player of the year. It's bad enough that buddies Kraft and Goodell are in cahoots, but do they have the AP writers in their pocket too? No votes for Tomlin. Shame on the writers.

realdeal
02-02-2011, 09:54 PM
Most people had us 3rd in our own division, starting QB out 4 games, both tackles out and other numerous injuries.

People the fix is in!!

madtowndrunkard
02-02-2011, 10:15 PM
I thought McCarthy would be in the top 3 coaches.... arguably the most deserving of the award. That Packers team over came plenty of injuries to make the playoffs.

I guess Bellichick did manage to not get caught cheating again. That takes some doing when everyone knows you are doing it.

If you think the Pats are no longer cheating you are a fool.

exhibit A : Josh McDaniels is caught video taping the 49ers practice. Just two years ago McDaniels was on the Patriots staff. 3 years ago the cheating was uncovered. The guy actually doing the video taping was Steve Scarnecchia.... NE Patriots former video director.

I'm guessing McDaniels left NE because Bill Bellicheat wouldn't let him cheat any more. So he took over his own team to do it. Right. Any cheater knows...once you get caught you dont stop.... you just figure out how to do it with out getting caught. Just ask Indy. Indy's OC will not speak to Manning and his team about the game plan or adjustments in the locker room of Gillette Stadium. That seems odd... hmmmm

Merchant
02-02-2011, 11:28 PM
Wow that's a little shocking. I seriously thought he was gonna win the thing after all the adversity the team went through.

CargoJon
02-03-2011, 12:16 AM
Can't believe 3 coaches that had top 5 draft picks last year from coaching absolutely horrible teams turned their teams into squads playing meaningful football on week 17, and Belicheap ends up getting the award after another year of regular season glory and post-season mediocrity.

SteelersBry79
02-03-2011, 01:22 AM
Did anyone really expect Tomlin to get a vote for anything this year?

plenewken
02-03-2011, 05:51 AM
I really don't care if he won or not, I just want to win The Superbowl, but to receive zero votes that's alittle weird::noidea: Here's the caterogy: Bill Belichick, Patriots --- 30
Todd Haley, Chiefs --- 4
Andy Reid, Eagles --- 1

Zero vote for the Steelers, Packers & Jets and only 1 vote for the Bears. Pathetic!.

TRH
02-03-2011, 06:44 AM
Zero vote for the Steelers, Packers & Jets and only 1 vote for the Bears. Pathetic!.

the more i even think about it, what a knock on Tomlin and McCarthy. A slap in the face. Looking back on this year, we should have never made it this far. "coach of the year" is just more than racking up a bunch of wins in a row during the regular season.
Like i said above, i have a sixth sense that AP writers are in the Pats pockets, probably even fans. Its surprising they didn't miraculously find one of their defensive players and vote them "defensive player of the year"

fat4jc
02-03-2011, 11:37 AM
how does one cast 1/2 a vote?

Steelerfreak58
02-03-2011, 12:05 PM
Not surprised. But I seriously doubt he will give a rip if he is lifting that 7th Lombardi on Sunday AGAIN! :tt02:

FanSince72
02-03-2011, 12:13 PM
http://www.sycaonline.org/images/md1.jpg

MDSteel15
02-03-2011, 12:15 PM
NFL Coach of the Year is a joke...

thumper
02-03-2011, 12:16 PM
It was total BS that Tomlin wasn't even mentioned. But, as
others have said: I will take the Lombardi over these lame
awards any way. I like how they keep disrespecting the Steelers.
It always works out better for us when they do that.

SeinfeldNut
02-03-2011, 12:22 PM
This will be all water under the bridge if he wins another Lombardi trophy.

chitownpit
02-03-2011, 12:44 PM
Todd Haley, Chiefs --- 4
Andy Reid, Eagles --- 1

Todd and Raheem deserved some votes yes its true , but to snub Tomlin
and give it to a coach like Belicheet is a slap in the face to some coachs that
did`nt have a hall of fame quarterback leading there team . This guy had allpros
on both sides of the ball . A team that he knew was good enough to reach the playoffs without Randy moss ? And he gets coach of the year ? What a crock of ---- !

Tomlin didn`t have his starting quarterback till week five. A third of the way
through the season. Then that quarterback got hurt and he had to turn to his third string quarterback . Had to patchwork his way through the season with a offensive line banged up coming out of camp and got worse as the season went on .
And belive me , if Ziggy Hood did`nt step up the way he did it could have been
a long season . 3-4 defensive ends of Steeler type quality are not growing on trees and ziggy really stepped up to the task .

And it seemed to me a few games last year we didnt step on the field ready
to play and it kept us from reaching the playoffs . This year he has really got the
message across to throw the first punch in a game .
I really thought he had a legitimit shot at winning it or maybe two of the
after mentioned . But Bilicheet ? What a slap in the face !

FanSince72
02-03-2011, 12:51 PM
Sadly, the truth of the matter is that this is blowback from Ben's jackpot.

If you really look at this mess, even the Steeler fans have barely accepted Ben back. But if you go beyond Steeler fans and look at the general population, most people don't like him and by association they don't like the Steelers (which is the main reason why GB is favored in the SB).

If Ben was out for 4 weeks due to injury, I'll bet Tomlin would have gotten COTY because most of the talking heads agree that he's done more with less than any other coach. But Ben's lack of popularity is a bit of a PR nightmare for the League and they're cringing at the thought of having to hand a Lombardi to Ben or anyone else from Pittsburgh.

But we're in the SB whether they like it or not and since they have no control over who wins the game (we hope), they DO have control over who wins COTY. So Belichick is a safe bet, his team went 14-2 and everybody has already drunk the "Greatest Coach Ever" Kool-Aid so choosing him was easy and most importantly -- safe.

If Tomlin got it, I think the League would have heard an earful from the non-Steeler Nation and given the situation as it is right now, that was more than they wanted to have to deal with and so COTY was off the table for Tomlin.

It's all politics and that's just the way it is.

If we win Sunday, then Tomlin gets a far bigger prize and one that I believe he rightly deserves.

There is an interesting irony to all of this though. Given the League's problem with Ben's PR, Goodell's comments about Ben along with the general public's cheering for GB and Rodgers because they're not "evil" like Ben and the Steelers, we find ourselves in one of the biggest underdog roles in recent memory. And if we ever needed bulletin board material or motivation, we now have it in spades!

Couple that with us historically playing better as a 'dog, I'd say it all may be a blessing in disguise.

chitownpit
02-03-2011, 01:03 PM
Good read , nice job
And yes , what better fuel to throw on Harrison but pattriot fuel!

cloppbeast
02-03-2011, 01:22 PM
It is my belief that the league very concerned with game attendance and TV ratings in certain markets.

There are plenty of markets were ticket sales and TV ratings are down.

I think the league is done with the Steelers dominating the sport. The commissioner hates it. It does not help the league in the big picture. The league wants mediocrity. The league wants a new SB winner every year.

There are plenty of other franchises though that are actually struggling to sell out games. They are struggling with TV ratings. Why? A very big reason IMO is many of these markets don't have a chance.

Before week one everyone knows the season is over for the 49ers, Browns, Lions, Bills, Panthers, Dolphins, etc. Occasionally a team with tease you with some promise but ultimately the fall short every single season. The Texans and Jags for example. If the steelers and packers have a horrible season they still sell out. They still generate huge TV ratings. So the success from these two teams really does nothing to help the league. Now if NY and Chicago were in the SB it would be huge for the league. If you had playoff appearances from teams that don't normally win, its huge for the NFL.

Over the last 10 years it's been all Pittsburgh and NE. During the 90s' it was the Cowboys and Broncos. During the 80s it was the 49ers. during the 70s it was the steelers. Basically 5-6 teams have dominated the sport over the past 40 years. The NFL needs these other markets to emerge. I think that is Goodell's mission. We are seeing rule changes to stop the Steelers. Dont be shocked if under the new CBA more is done to stop the steelers and help teams that struggle. A rookie salary cap for example would be huge to these teams that always seem to have top 5 picks. I fully expect the league to do more to stop defenses and prevent dynasties.

The nfl is probably not really interested in giving us another Lombardi or giving us praise. The friggen commissioner is slamming our QB to the media for christ sake. We now have two teams in the SB that employ the exact same defense. Don't be shocked if the 3-4 is outlawed some day.

These conspiracy theories annoy me - especially from Steelers fans. That's kind of like the Yankees complaining the MLB is out to get them. It's kind of ridiculous. If - and that's a huge if - the NFL is out to get Pittsburgh, the NFL is not doing a good job.

How do explain the fact that 2 of the last 3 DOPY wore a Steelers uniform when arguments could be made that both players were undeserving (Compare Ware to Harrison in 2008 and Polamalu to Matthews in 2010).

I agree with you that Tomlin should have received votes for the job he did this year, and I find it strange that neither coach in the Super Bowl received votes, but you're rant is ridiculous. Every team could say the same thing - and every team has a section of its fanbase who does say the same thing, whether it's the refs or whatever. It's all a bunch of bull.

Coming from the most blessed fans in the NFL makes us sound like spoiled brats. You're giving us a bad name.

Third Rail
02-03-2011, 02:16 PM
It's good to know that the NFL still values coaches who cheat. Bill Belichick is an inspiration to all of us... the ones who wrote the answers on our hands before taking tests... the ones who took steroids… the ones who made sure some votes in Florida weren't counted... the ones who stood on the sidelines and stuck our knees out to trip a few players.

Belichick is living proof that the end result is all that matters... how you get there is inconsequential. He represents exactly what the NFL is all about these days.