PDA

View Full Version : You Have GOT To Be Kidding Me!?!?

Suitanim
05-03-2006, 07:42 PM
Are the kids in this Country REALLY this effing stupid? I knew where Iraq was when I was when I was 10 and we weren't at war with them.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/EDUCATION/05/02/geog.test/index.html

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- After more than three years of combat and nearly 2,400 U.S. military deaths in Iraq, nearly two-thirds of Americans aged 18 to 24 still cannot find Iraq on a map, a study released Tuesday showed.

Lyn
05-03-2006, 08:22 PM
And how many times have we all heard "teachers should earn more money." If these kids do not know this stuff, I would blame the educational system. Few students go out on their own to "find things out" not at the elementary level which is where they should have learned the states of the United States.

Suitanim
05-03-2006, 08:35 PM
It starts with the parents, though. They need to encourage their kids to want to learn.

A teachers job should be much more about teaching a kid HOW to learn than about trying to force-feed some facts into that kids head. There are so many resources available to even the poorest kids in this country (via the internet, if nothing else) to learn, that our ancestors would roll over 100 times in their graves in jealousy over. Yet, with all this knowledge literally at their fingertips, we are growing a generation of idiot savants.

No offense, but I read some of the posts from these young kids on here, and I have to laugh. There's no critical thinking, no knowledge synthesizing, Hell, even spelling and grammar seem to be a forgotten art. It's a sad state of affairs...

meanjoecoop
05-03-2006, 08:42 PM
During the 1st gulf war, then Reds owner Marge Schott made a statement honoring our soilders serving in the "Far East"...?

3 to be 4
05-03-2006, 09:47 PM
It starts with the parents, though. They need to encourage their kids to want to learn.

A teachers job should be much more about teaching a kid HOW to learn than about trying to force-feed some facts into that kids head. There are so many resources available to even the poorest kids in this country (via the internet, if nothing else) to learn, that our ancestors would roll over 100 times in their graves in jealousy over. Yet, with all this knowledge literally at their fingertips, we are growing a generation of idiot savants.

No offense, but I read some of the posts from these young kids on here, and I have to laugh. There's no critical thinking, no knowledge synthesizing, Hell, even spelling and grammar seem to be a forgotten art. It's a sad state of affairs...

Again, leave poor Tha Rock out of this!!!:bouncy:

clevestinks
05-04-2006, 10:17 AM
Teachers are not held accountable for anything, students are just left to fail.

HburgXL06
05-04-2006, 10:35 AM

My apologies for my generation, and on a side note all my spelling "errors" happen just because I type so much online (instant messaging) that when I come over here it just rubs off. Me personally, I don't know how a person can not know where the 50 states are that seems somewhat simple but then again you have to look at some of the poor education systems some kids are given. When they are surrounded by poverty and have no good role models and are put in a school system that is so weak and doesn't give a damn they are allowed to slip through while learning less and less. It becomes even worse when teachers and administrators do start asking for things like pay raises when the kids they are teaching aren't learning shit. Their focus become so much on the money and their wants that the kids suffer even further.

BuFu

83-Steelers-43
05-04-2006, 10:43 AM

While I'm not denying that there are bad teachers out there, I do agree with your comments. My sister was a teacher (teacher aid now) and she has seen it first hand. She loves kids and she wants them to learn but you can only do so much. You can teach the lesson, tell them the facts, tell them to make sure they study the material over and over again at home, but if they don't bother, that's not the teachers fault.

Unfortunately, I've heard enough stories over my years about her parent/teacher meetings. Let's just say you can see where the kids get their lack of motivation and maturity from. In most cases, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. It's easy to blame the teachers when lack of parenting is one of the main problems. Go figure.

Lyn
05-04-2006, 12:50 PM
I was a teacher in the Public and then in the Private sector. There are no hard fast rules. Obviously, kids who are motivated at home and who have good study habits do much better in the classroom. I left teaching when the rules came out that you can not verbally punish a child for not doing his/her homework. When the kids had more say in their education than the parents or the teachers. I saw a steady decline in learning and I will still blame teachers, the school boards and all xchool officals for NOT doing their job. because MOST teachers are not there for the reason they were when I was in school, because they love kids love teaching and passing their knowledge along to the kids. MOST teachers are there for the paycheck and like everything it is all about money, that is the bottom line. Trust me, I could write volumes on this subject and also on the subject of Private school kids having a definite edge over Public school kids.

Cape Cod Steel Head
05-04-2006, 04:42 PM
I was a teacher in the Public and then in the Private sector. There are no hard fast rules. Obviously, kids who are motivated at home and who have good study habits do much better in the classroom. I left teaching when the rules came out that you can not verbally punish a child for not doing his/her homework. When the kids had more say in their education than the parents or the teachers. I saw a steady decline in learning and I will still blame teachers, the school boards and all xchool officals for NOT doing their job. because MOST teachers are not there for the reason they were when I was in school, because they love kids love teaching and passing their knowledge along to the kids. MOST teachers are there for the paycheck and like everything it is all about money, that is the bottom line. Trust me, I could write volumes on this subject and also on the subject of Private school kids having a definite edge over Public school kids.That is a very broad and sweeping generalization! Not to mention incorrect. Their are no hard fast rules?? Trust me when I say I'm not repeat not in it for the pay. You must have left teaching before the No Child Left Behind Act was passed then completely underfunded.

Cape Cod Steel Head
05-04-2006, 04:58 PM
Are the kids in this Country REALLY this effing stupid? I knew where Iraq was when I was when I was 10 and we weren't at war with them.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/EDUCATION/05/02/geog.test/index.html

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- After more than three years of combat and nearly 2,400 U.S. military deaths in Iraq, nearly two-thirds of Americans aged 18 to 24 still cannot find Iraq on a map, a study released Tuesday showed.I can guarantee that they will know where it is when they get drafted to fight and die there.

Blitzburgh55
05-04-2006, 05:04 PM
That casue no cares about iraq anymore excpt for bush there never show it on a map just talk about it

83-Steelers-43
05-04-2006, 05:07 PM
That casue no cares about iraq anymore excpt for bush there never show it on a map just talk about it

:huh:

Livinginthe past
05-04-2006, 05:09 PM
Isn't part of the reason for the lack of geographical awareness in American kids down to a general lack of interest in the world outside the States?

America is a such a huge place, with alot of diversity inside its borders that maybe its not seen as important that kids get taught about other continents.

I know alot of people think American kids are just 'dumb' but I think this is a fairly lazy evaluation - I just think the people responsible for teaching them about world geography dont rate it high enough to bother.

We all have areas of ignorance, myself included - I only found out recently that the Black/ African American population of the USA was only 12% of the total - my guess would have put it at 3 times that amount.

NM

MasterOfPuppets
05-04-2006, 05:30 PM
obviously proof reading isn't stressed enough by english teachers.:rolleyes:

MasterOfPuppets
05-04-2006, 05:34 PM
Isn't part of the reason for the lack of geographical awareness in American kids down to a general lack of interest in the world outside the States?

America is a such a huge place, with alot of diversity inside its borders that maybe its not seen as important that kids get taught about other continents.

I know alot of people think American kids are just 'dumb' but I think this is a fairly lazy evaluation - I just think the people responsible for teaching them about world geography dont rate it high enough to bother.

We all have areas of ignorance, myself included - I only found out recently that the Black/ African American population of the USA was only 12% of the total - my guess would have put it at 3 times that amount.

NMthe hispanic population has surpassed the african/american population. 25 % of our population is foreign born.

Livinginthe past
05-04-2006, 06:37 PM
the hispanic population has surpassed the african/american population. 25 % of our population is foreign born.

The info I have says its 75% White, 12 % Black African American, 13% other.

NM

3 to be 4
05-04-2006, 06:41 PM
the Bengils Cuck

MasterOfPuppets
05-04-2006, 06:48 PM

NM
just because thier white doesn't mean thier not foreign born.(russian,irish,english,etc) and the 13% would be hispanic. which they estimate at over 25 million.

tony hipchest
05-04-2006, 07:31 PM

NMthe hispanic/mexican population couldve gone up much more than that by now, if your info is more than a week old. :sofunny:

MasterOfPuppets
05-04-2006, 07:38 PM
the hispanic/mexican population couldve gone up much more than that by now, if your info is more than a week old. :sofunny:
very true!...ever since they started the whole illegal, border issue,they've been bum rushing the border in hopes of amnesty. the morons in government should have decided what there gonna do about border security before mentioning it to the press.

SteelShooter
05-05-2006, 01:30 AM
You know, it's really sad....but it IS real. When we deploy (Navy), I have to have geography cram session with my younger troops. It still surprises me that they do not think to look ahead and at least find where these areas that we are deploying to are.

I have one of my Troops make up a chart/map with the names and say a few words over each one. They have some time to look at everything (just a few minutes), and then they get a blank map which I have them label. Over the course of a few days I make it progressively more difficult to the point of just handing out a blank sheet of paper and have them sketch out the map, complete with names and a rough drawing of their flag.

Harsh? Perhaps.

Livinginthe past
05-05-2006, 03:35 AM
You know, it's really sad....but it IS real. When we deploy (Navy), I have to have geography cram session with my younger troops. It still surprises me that they do not think to look ahead and at least find where these areas that we are deploying to are.

I have one of my Troops make up a chart/map with the names and say a few words over each one. They have some time to look at everything (just a few minutes), and then they get a blank map which I have them label. Over the course of a few days I make it progressively more difficult to the point of just handing out a blank sheet of paper and have them sketch out the map, complete with names and a rough drawing of their flag.

Harsh? Perhaps.

Not harsh at all.

This goes back to what I was saying before - if people like you can you get the message across that the world outside the USA is important then the kids will get the idea.

If you make it a competitive exercise , like you have, then I think the kids will lap it up.

NM

3 to be 4
05-05-2006, 06:29 AM

THA ROCK, is that you??

SteelShooter
05-06-2006, 03:52 AM
Thanks LITP, I appreciate it. But it is more than that. I have two specialties, as a QRT (Quick Reaction team) member (kind of like a SWAT, but better toys and fewer rules) and as a Mission Planner. My Troops, when in the mission planning mode, support surface, ground, and air assets. How in the he11 can they plan a mission if they do not know where it will be in relation to the ROTW (Rest of the World)? A slight deviation in a proposed flight path could have a pilot dodging a missile from Iran instead of dropping ordnance on Iraq.

Perhaps I'm just getting old, salty, and pessimistic but it just doesn't seem as though these younger Troops, as brave as they are, seem to have their head in the game as much now days. Maybe it's because I grew up militarily during the Cold War where we were constantly playing cat and mouse with the old Soviet Bloc nations. But, the pessimistic in me tends to lean toward blaming the educational system (or lack of) and the bleeding hearts out their that are more worried over hurting someones feelings or causing mental trauma than simply failing a kid's test score. "Pass 'em, they'll do fine" type of mentality. Know what I mean?

Oh well, as long as I am not recalled for yet another deployment before February 2007, then I will drop my papers for retirement come January 2008. That will be 21 years by then.....time for a changing of the guard.

Thanks again LITP for the kind words.....

SteelShooter
05-06-2006, 04:03 AM

Bro,

Plenty of us care about Iraq. Many of us have lost Brothers and Sisters over there. Not the blood type, but our Bro's and Sis's-in-arms. And a few of us have lost personal friends. We can't give up now. If we do....then their sacrifice will be completely wasted...gone for nothing...just a waste of oxygen with nothing to show except a folded flag sitting on some poor mother's or spouse's shelf. I have folded a number of them personally. Please trust me, it isn't cool, it isn't romantic....it's just pain.

Criticize the regime all you wish. By you doing so, that proves that my Bro's have done their job well in the protection of YOUR freedom of speech....but please do not present a blanket statement for all of us, especially if you have not been there. I also have my inherent right to free thought and ideals. Unfortunately, they do not match yours.....

blackvelvet
05-06-2006, 08:58 AM
I'm in ninth grade, and at my school, we have this newsnetwork for teens called Channel 1. In a recent story, some kids don't even know where Louisiana is! Later that day, we were doing something similar in my social studies class, and half the kids in my class didn't know where a lot of the states were, let alone any countries. This saddens me greatly.

MattsMe
05-06-2006, 09:10 PM
the Bengils Cuck
:sofunny: :sofunny: