PDA

View Full Version : Which team's fans are No. 1 in nation?

mesaSteeler
02-03-2011, 06:17 AM
Which team's fans are No. 1 in nation?
Thursday, February 03, 2011
By Anya Sostek, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

It's not a super secret that the Steelers and the Packers sport two of the NFL's most devoted fan bases.

These are people who have been known to convince themselves of the propriety of black and gold as business attire or headgear in the shape of a giant wedge of cheese.

But just as there are no ties in the Super Bowl, one team's fans must reign superior.

And the illustrious Wall Street Journal on Wednesday tackled the question of which fan base comes out on top.

The Journal broke down crazed fandom by eight objective categories: an annual poll by Harris Interactive for both this year and an average of the last nine years, local television ratings, national television ratings, average home ticket price on the secondary market, average away ticket price on the secondary market, overall team merchandise sales and individual merchandise sales.

The Steelers had the edge in five of the eight categories, including resounding victories in away game ticket prices ($46.96 more than usual to watch the Steelers versus $13.90 for the Packers), overall team merchandise (No. 1 in the NFL versus No. 8 for the Packers) and individual merchandise (Troy Polamalu's jersey is tops in sales, whereas Aaron Rodgers is seventh).

But in the end, the paper gave the edge to the Packers. To quote, "Here's the capper: Even including Milwaukee, the Packers hail from a region that's about 26 percent smaller than Pittsburgh."

Well, Wall Street Journal, we have a capper of our own.

First of all, in the Post-Gazette's opinion, you have to include all of Wisconsin in any calculation of geographical fan bases -- not just Milwaukee and Green Bay.

Doing so, a hasty and highly unscientific Post-Gazette statistical analysis turns up a figure of 5.6 million for Wisconsin, compared to about 3.3 million for the Western Pennsylvania counties that make up Steelers Country. Even throwing in all of West Virginia (1.8 million), the Packers still have the numbers edge.

Second of all, there are other -- equally important -- objective statistics. Fans demented, er, devoted enough to write and record their own fight songs, for one. There are 3,520 hits on YouTube for Steelers songs, compared to a mere 1,810 Packers songs.

But most importantly, unlike the Wall Street Journal, the Post-Gazette knows that a fan base is more than just the sum of its parts.

A qualitative analysis of Steelers fans yields folks like Hampton native James Allan, who has taken his Terrible Towel to more than 20 countries and will be flying to Texas from his current home in Indonesia, crossing 13 time zones to see the Super Bowl.

There are the women who seemingly stopped nature in deference to the AFC Championship. The labor and delivery wing of Magee-Womens Hospital was abnormally quiet during the Steelers-Ravens showdown -- as is typical during major sporting events -- with a rush coming in after the game, said Sue Pedaline, program administrator for obstetrics and newborn services.

One nurse described a patient who kept moving her head to see the television even as she reached the pushing phase of her delivery. The baby kindly waited until after the Steelers had secured their Super Bowl trip to actually exit her womb.

And then there are the Zotters, of McCandless, who are celebrating their 45th wedding anniversary on Feb. 5 with a trip to the Super Bowl.

It's only appropriate, notes Peggy Zotter, 80. She and her husband, 83-year-old Randy Zotter, got married in 1966, the year of the first Super Bowl.

"We went to all those games in the 70s when they were so hot and had a wonderful time," said Mrs. Zotter.

The Zotters have met plenty of Packers fans in their regular trips to Florida. So let Mrs. Zotter have the final word on the Steelers versus Packers fan smackdown.

"I really don't know that much about Packer fans but they seem to be good people," she said. "They're all nice people, just like Steeler fans. I'm just sorry they're going to lose."
Anya Sostek: asostek@post-gazette.com or 412-263-1308.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11034/1122616-66.stm#ixzz1Cti0ezRI

mesaSteeler
02-03-2011, 06:24 AM
I disagree with the Wall Street Journal. Here in Phoenix, where a lot of folks from both cities retire to when they tire of the cold winters, there are two bars right next to each other. One is a Packer Bar known as the Buffalo Chip and the other is one of the largest Steeler bars in the country known as Harold's Corral. Harold's pulls in twice as many Steeler fans as the Buffalo Chip pulls in Packer fans. Add to that is that there are multiple Steeler bars here other than Harold's Corral and I don't know of another Packer bar of any size. The Journal's so called analysis fails to take into account the Pittsburgh diaspora of the 1970's and 1980's and how many Steeler fans there are around the country.

TRH
02-03-2011, 06:41 AM
what a completely bogus article. Again, a "NY fan" writing out of NY who can't stand the Steelers digging up obscure and pointless facts.
Why don't they just include Iowa, Michigan and Minnesota in their bogus "local area"?
I agree....the Packers have ALOT of fans. No question. But the fact is that we have alot MORE fans than they do.. Many more ahead when you add up the entire nation.
Bogus.
Just another writer trying to knock us down another peg. No big deal.

plenewken
02-03-2011, 07:15 AM
The WSJ should look up "Nation" in the dictionary.

SteelersBry79
02-03-2011, 07:35 AM
Have the Packers had a block of cheese flying around in the space shuttle, at the inauguration of the president, or anything visible at ANY point on Earth? No they have not! Steeler Nation is EVERYWHERE and we accept no imitations.

The WSJ is just trying to make itself feel special in the long line of Steelers haters out there, but then again, does anyone care?

P.S.

The Jets suck.

Ste(mp)elCurta(z)in
02-03-2011, 10:30 AM
Wow....I didn't even think this was a question. Much more Steeler fans in AZ than Packers. Even in California who claims they have the largest Steeler Bar outside of Pittsburgh (it's in Hermosa Beach)....the running joke in California is that Cali has 4 teams...Oakland, San Fran, San Diego and the Pittsburgh Steelers!

Curtain_of_Steel
02-03-2011, 10:33 AM
Wow the love fest grows.

does statistical retail sales mean anything?
Does taking over an away games stadium mean anything?

I came into these past 2 weeks, not caring one way or the other about thePackers, and I'beginning to hate these cheesers, lol

This crap defies all logic.

I'm going to put adds out of Craigslist, can one packer fan contact me, just one please, do you exist outside of fudgepackerville?

stb_steeler
02-03-2011, 10:45 AM
That article is bogus...... We all know the truth! :tt02:

StainlessStill
02-03-2011, 12:19 PM
That article is bogus...... We all know the truth! :tt02:

^THIS. I'm sick of all this. Lets go win it!!!!

Steelerfreak58
02-03-2011, 12:24 PM
None of this shit will matter after the Steelers win Sunday.:tt:

grward
02-03-2011, 12:33 PM
What kind of bullsh!t is this? They use 8 different categories to rank the fan base, the Steelers win in 5 of those and were completely dominate in 3. So exactly WHY did they give the nod ot the Packers? WTF?