PDA

View Full Version : Mehno: Bettis will be a tough Hall sell

mesaSteeler
02-03-2011, 07:31 AM
Mehno: Bettis will be a tough Hall sell
http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sports_details/article/1501/2011/february/03/mehno-bettis-will-be-a-tough-hall-sell.html
By: John Mehno
Beaver County Times

Thursday February 3, 2011 12:10 AM

The lives of some football players will be changed profoundly this weekend in Dallas.

Yes, there’s the Super Bowl between the Packers and Steelers on Sunday, but the issue here is the Hall of Fame vote, which will be conducted Saturday morning in a hotel conference room.

Former Steelers Dermontti Dawson and Jerome Bettis are among the candidates for enshrinement.

Unlike baseball, which issues a Hall of Fame ballot to everyone who’s been a member of the Baseball Writers Association of America for 10 years, the football vote is conducted in person by a carefully-selected electorate.

There is one representative from every NFL city, along with 11 at-large voters and one member of the Pro Football Writers Association.

Also unlike baseball, the voters can represent a broadcast or Internet outlet. Ed Bouchette of the Post-Gazette is the current Pittsburgh voter; he succeeded Myron Cope.

The committee will convene at 9 a.m. Saturday to consider a list of 15 finalists.

Deion Sanders and Marshall Faulk are considered the favorites.

Len Pasquarelli, a Pittsburgh native who has represented Atlanta for 11 years, says Dawson has his vote.

He’s skeptical about Bettis’ chances, largely because Faulk and Curtis Martin are also on the ballot.

“Three running backs is a lot,” Pasquarelli said. “There seems to be a perception that Faulk is in. So I would expect that only one other running back might get in, and that might work against Bettis.

“I think he’s going to have a hard time.”

This is Bettis’ first year of eligibility. Dawson has been eligible since 2005.

This is his third year of making the final cut.
Advertisement Click Here

“I’m a big Dermontti Dawson guy,” Pasquarelli said.

The voter from the player’s city makes the presentation every year to the committee. Bouchette will speak on behalf of Bettis and Dawson and try to convince voters they’re worthy.

“The last few years I’ve tried to be the second to speak on (Dawson’s) behalf,“ Pasquarelli said. “The guy ought to be in. I don‘t know that I agree or disagree with Ed that Dawson was better than (Mike) Webster, but he was unbelievably good. He should be the next offensive lineman to go in.”

It took Lynn Swann 14 years to get elected.

In fact, Cope resigned his position because he thought another voice might help Swann’s chances.

After years of making the same speech, sometimes there’s little left to say.

Pasquarelli said that last year the Washington voter, again making the case for Russ Grimm, simply said, “It’s his time.”

“Did it work? Grimm got in,” Pasquarelli said.

The committee will vote first on two senior candidates. Then they’ll listen to the presentations for the 15 modern finalists and have discussions. A preliminary vote will reduce the list to 10, then five.

The ballots go to the accountants and no one knows who’s in until the envelope is opened. It takes 80 percent of the vote to gain enshrinement.

The voting takes three or four hours, and it’s not always a smooth process.

“It can get contentious,” Pasquarelli said.

Just like football.

Times sports correspondent John Mehno can be reached at johnmehnocolumn@gmail.com.

Rick5895
02-03-2011, 07:49 AM
I would like to see Bettis in. However, if they are going to pick only 1 Steeler on this ballot, my hope is Dawson, Webster was 1A and Dawson is 1B among the best centers of all time!!!

CargoJon
02-03-2011, 08:19 AM
Bettis > Martin in my opinion. sure he had a few less rushing yards than Martin, but he's got a Super Bowl ring and a few of his other stats are actually better than Martin.....TD's I think? Too lazy to took up again.

El Nino
02-03-2011, 09:37 AM
i think dawson deserves it more than bettis right *now*. he'll get in the hall, no question later.

steelerchad
02-03-2011, 11:04 AM
I'd like to get a Steeler in next year, preferably Bettis. My father-in-law has an invite for a trip to canton if Faulk gets in. (He's from STL). If both Bettis and Faulk get in we'll be making the trip together.

lionslicer
02-03-2011, 11:34 AM
Bettis > Martin in my opinion. sure he had a few less rushing yards than Martin, but he's got a Super Bowl ring and a few of his other stats are actually better than Martin.....TD's I think? Too lazy to took up again.

I think they have the same touchdowns. But Martin has a better yard per carrie average by .2 yards. Having a yard per carrie average less than 3, which Bettis has at about 3.8 or 3.9 kills him, it shows his inconsistancy. He'll get in because as a player, no one his size had his feet and not many running backs were that durable. Only Walter Payton, Emmit Smith and Curtis Martin have more rushing attempts, in a sport that running backs don't even average over 1000 atempts for their whole career, Bettis has around 3479. He will get in, but he wont be a first ballot HOFer. A couple years.

sacredgrooves
02-03-2011, 11:50 AM
I think players, coaches and gm's should be voting not writers who probably never played the game at a level above high school.

4xSBChamps
02-03-2011, 12:07 PM
I think players, coaches and gm's should be voting not writers who probably never played the game at a level above high school.

I'd think persons already enshrined (BEEN-THERE / DONE-THAT) should have a say who joins them at Canton

thumper
02-03-2011, 12:31 PM
Bottom line - Bus should get in. If it's not on his first year, no biggie. But he DOES
definitely belong, without question. Put Dirt in now. Bus can get in within the next
few years.

Steelthe#1dynasty
02-03-2011, 01:57 PM
The bottom line is that Deion is a piece of garbage, so was Michael Irvin for that matter. Ward will have better stats overall, SB MVP, possibly three SB rings and he'll have to wait.. You watch! Irvin should have had to wait. Deion should have to wait but he'll get in. His sorry @ss never tackled a gosh damn thing. Strike! No question Jerome Bettis should be a "first ballot." It would be a huge insult! I want him in this year!

OX1947
02-03-2011, 02:04 PM
Pardon for being dumb here, but how is Bettis a hard sale for the Hall if he is a finalist? I know its semantics but, come on. The 5th leading rusher of all time. The best big back of all time, 6 pro bowls, SB champ and was just as good promoting the NFL outside the stadium.

TRH
02-03-2011, 03:05 PM

+ 1.
I find some of these writer's credentials "cringe-worthy"

sacredgrooves
02-03-2011, 07:27 PM
I'd think persons already enshrined (BEEN-THERE / DONE-THAT) should have a say who joins them at Canton

Even better! :drink:

Neil-Still-Rules-14
02-03-2011, 08:02 PM
The bottom line is that Deion is a piece of garbage, so was Michael Irvin for that matter. Ward will have better stats overall, SB MVP, possibly three SB rings and he'll have to wait.. You watch! Irvin should have had to wait. Deion should have to wait but he'll get in. His sorry @ss never tackled a gosh damn thing. Strike! No question Jerome Bettis should be a "first ballot." It would be a huge insult! I want him in this year!

Bettis deserves to be first ballot no doubt, but Deion Sanders is at least one of the 5 best Corners who ever played. Not to mention his return skills. Don't be silly.

Neil-Still-Rules-14
02-03-2011, 08:04 PM

I thought they did this with the "veteran's committee" and LeBeau was like the first one ever to get in in a long long time, due to their "I'm better than you" attitude.

Steelthe#1dynasty
02-03-2011, 09:13 PM
Bettis deserves to be first ballot no doubt, but Deion Sanders is at least one of the 5 best Corners who ever played. Not to mention his return skills. Don't be silly.

I'm just saying, he never tackled. Tackling is a huge part of a cornerback's game! As for his return game, it's not like the guy is Hester!

I agree, Bettis deserves first ballot!

LVSteelersfan
02-03-2011, 09:16 PM
Faulk will make it even though I don't personally think he deserves it as a first ballot HOF. But what do I know? Bettis should get in easily but he will probably have to wait for 5-10 years due to the politics of "THERE ARE TOO MANY STEELERS IN THE HOF". Even though that is hogwash, they use that as part of their criteria. It wouldn't surprise me if Dawson gets snubbed as well. We shall see.

Steelthe#1dynasty
02-03-2011, 09:37 PM
Faulk will make it even though I don't personally think he deserves it as a first ballot HOF. But what do I know? Bettis should get in easily but he will probably have to wait for 5-10 years due to the politics of "THERE ARE TOO MANY STEELERS IN THE HOF". Even though that is hogwash, they use that as part of their criteria. It wouldn't surprise me if Dawson gets snubbed as well. We shall see.

Marshall Faulk is a total douche! I agree, I hate the argument that there are too many Stillers in the hall! Total garbage... If the guy deserves it, put him in. Can't a team be great? I'm tired of all of the political correctness in our society. Now we don't want to hurt anyone's feelings.. I guess you'll just have to wait bull**it.

austinfrench76
02-03-2011, 10:21 PM
I am a HUGE Bettis fan but I heard something interesting when considering him for the hall. Was he ever the most dominant running back in the league? Even for a season? I really don't think he ever was. He absolutely should get in and based on his overall career will but it took Swanny 14 years so Bettis will probably have to wait a while. Just my opinion.

SteelersBry79
02-03-2011, 10:37 PM
Marshall Faulk is a total douche! I agree, I hate the argument that there are too many Stillers in the hall! Total garbage... If the guy deserves it, put him in. Can't a team be great? I'm tired of all of the political correctness in our society. Now we don't want to hurt anyone's feelings.. I guess you'll just have to wait bull**it.

What having so many Steelers in the HOF says to me is that we're just too f*$^ing good. I've heard it said many times that the Steelers have their own wing in the HOF. That being said, why not just build a literal wing and call it the Steelers Hall?

As for Bettis, the 5th leading rusher of all time, if he doesn't get in on the first ballot, then the whole system is flawed. You never heard anything bad about him, he always played tough, and he was very good at what he did.

Steelthe#1dynasty
02-03-2011, 11:54 PM
What having so many Steelers in the HOF says to me is that we're just too f*$^ing good. I've heard it said many times that the Steelers have their own wing in the HOF. That being said, why not just build a literal wing and call it the Steelers Hall?

As for Bettis, the 5th leading rusher of all time, if he doesn't get in on the first ballot, then the whole system is flawed. You never heard anything bad about him, he always played tough, and he was very good at what he did.

Amen brother!