PDA

View Full Version : why is Ben the most disliked player in the Super Bowl?

quiggle
02-03-2011, 06:49 AM
The Hollywood Reporter commissioned a poll by Penn Schoen Berland which revealed that the Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback will be the least favorite player on the field at Cowboys Stadium. He is "strongly disliked" three times more than any other player in the game.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Poll-Roethlisberger-is-most-disliked-player-in-?urn=nfl-316000

Atlanta Dan
02-03-2011, 06:56 AM
:yawn:

Either you have not been reading about Roethlisberger since last March or you are trying to stir the pot

TRH
02-03-2011, 06:57 AM
The Hollywood Reporter commissioned a poll by Penn Schoen Berland which revealed that the Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback will be the least favorite player on the field at Cowboys Stadium. He is "strongly disliked" three times more than any other player in the game.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Poll-Roethlisberger-is-most-disliked-player-in-?urn=nfl-316000

I don't think thats true. The other report i seen yesterday is that there's at least 3 players who fans dislike more than Ben.
Vick, Favre, and Brady. You can probably add T.O and Moss to that list.

The problem is that these stories are flying around written by writers offering "their personal opinion". Its ridiculous. They're really trying to play this up as much more than it is. I haven't found Ben to be that disliked in the 1st place. There's more people than you think on his side.
These articles are starting to be "throwaways"

plenewken
02-03-2011, 07:09 AM
I don't think thats true. The other report i seen yesterday is that there's at least 3 players who fans dislike more than Ben.
Vick, Favre, and Brady. You can probably add T.O and Moss to that list.

Re-read the title of the thread.
When you ask people (football fans and not football fans) who are the football players they dislike the most and Ben comes 4th behind 3 players who won't play in the Superbowl, Ben becomes de-facto the most disliked player in the Superbowl.
Got it?
Now it's surprising that only QBs were mentioned. I bet people had to pick from a pre-established list.

Steelers>NFL
02-03-2011, 07:15 AM
Doesn't surprise me.
But who cares. All he does is WIN!

Packers4ever
02-03-2011, 07:15 AM
Because he's a sexual predator. It amazes me that anyone could support him.

How would you all feel if it was your daughter or your sister he abused? If he wasn't your beloved QB NOT one fo you would give a squirt of piss about the guy.

TRH
02-03-2011, 07:24 AM
Re-read the title of the thread.
When you ask people (football fans and not football fans) who are the football players they dislike the most and Ben comes 4th behind 3 players who won't play in the Superbowl, Ben becomes de-facto the most disliked player in the Superbowl.
Got it?
Now it's surprising that only QBs were mentioned. I bet people had to pick from a pre-established list.

Got it.
I now remember seeing this one (there's been so many of these...) and when they revealed the player, i almost thought it was going to be Harrison. James seems to be taking a beating for his media day hour. I thought it was great
Can't wait until Sunday, i'm getting tired of these

plenewken
02-03-2011, 07:30 AM

How would you all feel if it was your daughter or your sister he abused? If he wasn't your beloved QB NOT one fo you would give a squirt of piss about the guy.

Relax.
@sshole, yes, sexual predator, no.
How would you feel if your underage daughter or sister was following Rodgers from bar to bar, drunk as a skunk, wearing a "Down to F*ck" badge?

quiggle
02-03-2011, 07:40 AM

I'm curious to know how does it feel to root for a team where if you put "fudge" in front of the name?

Are you the same peeps who believe someone saying they saw Big Foot or the Loch Ness monster UFO alien abductions? Same who believes some drunk broad that Ben was sexually violent?

SteelersBry79
02-03-2011, 07:53 AM

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4076/5412734921_aaf498e303.jpg

I'm curious to know how does it feel to root for a team where if you put "fudge" in front of the name?

Are you the same peeps who believe someone saying they saw Big Foot or the Loch Ness monster UFO alien abductions? Same who believes some drunk broad that Ben was sexually violent?

I wouldn't want to live anywhere near a place that has the words or anything that can be associated with the words "fudge" and "packers" in it.

dsr
02-03-2011, 07:58 AM
Those games he missed when he half-killed himself riding a motor bike without a helmet probably factor in as well. When someone so rich does something so stupid, it counts against him.

quiggle
02-03-2011, 07:59 AM
I wouldn't want to live anywhere near a place that has the words or anything that can be associated with the words "fudge" and "packers" in it.

especially when you have "4ever" next to it as a username.

Atlanta Dan
02-03-2011, 07:59 AM

:sign07:[

quiggle
02-03-2011, 08:01 AM
Those games he missed when he half-killed himself riding a motor bike without a helmet probably factor in as well. When someone so rich does something so stupid, it counts against him.

the general populace are nothing but hypocrites, these same people who hate on Ben are probably the same ones who drive without a seatbelts in their car and consume larger quantities of adult entertainment for leisure.

plenewken
02-03-2011, 08:09 AM
the general populace are nothing but hypocrites, these same people who hate on Ben are probably the same ones who ............. consume larger quantities of adult entertainment for leisure.

Ever been to Northern WI in winter? I guess not. <g>

bob420
02-03-2011, 08:11 AM
Why don't we hear about Clay Matthews? Like the nice little White Nation facebook group he started. Or about his steroids past. Or how about when he was a suspect in a sexual assault this past summer. Stories changed, charges were dropped. Sounds familiar.

FanSince72
02-03-2011, 08:11 AM

Last I checked, someone's daughter had four chances to tell her story and she ended up 0-4. If it happened, then it happened and it shouldn't be too hard to recall the details - especially if there's a huge payday on the horizon (which is what I believe set this whole thing in motion).

But once again, she went 0-4

I can understand getting a couple details mixed up, but to come up with four different versions of the same event and have none of them jibe with anyone else's version tells me one thing:

It didn't happen.

Was Ben behaving like a choirboy?

Probably not. And it's likely that SOMETHING happened, but my guess is that it had to do more with two people being drunk followed by a whole bunch of mixed signals.

The same kind of mixed signals that occur between men and women in gin mills across the country on a typical Friday night which usually end with some slapped faces and some choice words unless one of the signalers happens to be a 100 million dollar QB. THEN it all turns into mixed signals on steroids.

After reading about this for months and searching for details, I've come to the the following conclusions: Ben drinks too much, he thinks he walks on water and he has the rather immature tendency to put himself in situations where the first two things get him into trouble.

In other words he was a successful twentysomething with a chip on his shoulder who thought his shit didn't stink. As far as I'm concerned, that puts him in a group with literally millions of other twentysomethings who do the same bone-headed things.

So Ben is basically guilty of being a jerk who (by all accounts) has worked very hard to have the "jerk" gene removed from his body and from what I'm told, that takes time.

But the prognosis is good.

So for all of you "Black and White" people who can only see two versions of something, I think you should look into the color Gray because that color and its infinite variations is where most of the things in life exist. It's where Ben and me and everybody else in this world find the actual reasons for why things happen and it's the color Gray that makes people like District Attorney's think long and hard about a thing before they act.

So why not have some cheese and think about that for a while?

Sixburgher
02-03-2011, 08:17 AM

As opposed to the 53 Boy Scouts who play for the Packers, I presume? Since allegations are automatically deemed to be true, who am I to question the veracity of the following?

http://www.jsonline.com/news/wisconsin/95693179.html

Glass houses and all that.

SteelersBry79
02-03-2011, 08:22 AM
the general populace are nothing but hypocrites, these same people who hate on Ben are probably the same ones who drive without a seatbelts in their car and consume larger quantities of adult entertainment for leisure.

I've stuck by Ben since day 1. What I don't get are these idiots who do not understand what the concept of innocent until proven guilty means. What gives me the red ass even worse are these so-called "Steelers fans" who said get rid of Ben and who hated him then and still hate him now. I myself, along with others said just wait until we lose and then they'll cheer to the heavens that Ben is back and that's exactly what's happened.

It doesn't matter how many great things Ben can do in the future, the same people who condemn the man will once again say he is a godsend, all the while trying to hide the fact that they're the ones who said he's guilty.

TRH
02-03-2011, 09:03 AM

He's not a sexual predator. We're not pulling a laundry list of offenses on Packers players (and there are definitely some good ones....)...
How would you like it if some bar floozie accused you of something. Last time i checked, "just hooking up" isn't an offense. Both women have proven themselves to be liars and contradictors (obviously looking for their 15 minutes...).
If thats an offense...this, unfortunately, could happen to ANY of us...on any given day. Its a scary thought but true. I look back at women i've hooked up with mutually, and thought "wow, what if they called the cops and accused me of something i didn't do??". It could happen to you. Althought the chances are a bit more if you are famous, but it happens all the time to private citizens too.
So take your "sexual predator" s*** out of here.

vasteeler
02-03-2011, 09:09 AM
:coffee:

tube517
02-03-2011, 09:09 AM
Whoop dee f'n doo

stb_steeler
02-03-2011, 09:14 AM

You cant be a predator towards the willing.....I understand how a father of a duaghter would feel in that situation but, how do you know what your daughter is doin out drinkin on a friday night binge?....Its sickening people like you stick your 2 cents in where as you have no clue as to what your talkin about...Hell for all we know you have a drunkin daughter yourself.

SteelCityMom
02-03-2011, 09:17 AM

You guys root for a sexual predator too. Where's the outrage? :noidea:

DA awaiting lab results in Underwood sex case
By TODD RICHMOND, Associated Press
Jan 24, 5:58 pm EST
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-packers-assaultallegations

MADISON, Wis. (AP)—A prosecutor who has been pondering for eight months whether to file sexual assault charges against Green Bay Packers backup cornerback Brandon Underwood(notes) said Monday that she’s waiting for information from the state crime lab.

Two women accused Underwood in June of sexually assaulting them at a Lake Delton condo. Sauk County District Attorney Patricia Barrett said in a letter to The Associated Press that the investigation is still active, and in a brief follow-up telephone interview on Monday said she is waiting for what she called “information” from the state crime lab. She declined to elaborate.

The state Justice Department runs the crime lab. Agency spokesman Bill Cosh said department investigators assisted Lake Delton Police in the probe and have completed their work. Justice Department executive assistant Steve Means said the lab should not be blamed for delays in the case.

“She’s in control of the investigation at this point,” Means said of Barrett. “The crime lab does what it does. If there’s a delay, it doesn’t rest with Madison.”

Means declined to elaborate.

Underwood’s attorney, Richard Kaiser, declined to comment.

“I don’t know how long it takes for Sauk County to do their work,” he said.

The case began during the early morning hours of June 5, when police were called to a condo where several Packers players were staying during a charity golf event.

Two Milwaukee women who met the players hours earlier at a bar said a group of Packers had sexually assaulted them.

After the women were questioned, however, they changed their statements to say only one player assaulted them, Lake Delton Police Chief Tom Dorner said in the days following the alleged assault.

Police cleared six of seven Packers players of wrongdoing, including star linebacker Clay Matthews(notes) and backup quarterback Matt Flynn(notes). The case took another twist when investigators announced that the alleged suspect and the women exchanged money before the alleged assault.

A message left with the Lake Delton Police on Monday wasn’t immediately returned.

In a brief statement to reporters in June, Underwood apologized to the team but declined to discuss the allegations.

The second-year player has played in 12 regular season games and all three of the Packers’ playoff games this season.

Yes, I know how you'll come back and say that "Yeah but these hookers got paid and they changed their story a bunch of times".

But since all it takes is an accusation (doesn't matter if the girl changes her answers/story 4 or 5 times...or sends e-mails about wanting to have kids with the guy she's accusing of sexual assault)...then it's all good for me to say you root for a sexual predator, right? I'm just going by your standards here.

Isn't it funny that this guys investigation is still active 8 months later, but the DA in Ben's case dropped the investigation within a month and he still got suspended?

You guys have a sexual predator roaming the field at the Superbowl (by your standards). Hypocrite.

SteelCityMom
02-03-2011, 09:18 AM
As to the article...no big surprise, and I personally could give a shit.

stb_steeler
02-03-2011, 09:22 AM
Its different when the shoes on the other foot SCmom...they didnt expect that.

El Nino
02-03-2011, 09:39 AM

someone ban this fag

no judge found him guilty, what all of a sudden your insignificant ass is more qualified than our legal system?

btw wasn't memberS of your team charged with rape in 2010? wow how can anyone support a group of rapists,,,

GMU Steeler
02-03-2011, 10:14 AM
What Ben did was stupid that night in Georgia but the way the story is made out that this football player took advantage of this impressionable girl is nonsense. First off, she was an adult (I've actually seen idiots call Ben a child molester), secondally, she acted very irresponsible herself underaged drinking and wearing a shirt that said DTF- Down to ****. Ben's conduct and judgment was not the best to be sure but I think the woman acted irresponsibily here and let's face it, if Ben wasn't a prominent position player on a prominent team, I doubt he'd get the hate he gets. People forget all about innocent until proven guilty when it involves people they don't like. Do you see people hatingLeonard Little? This guy was 2.5 times the legal limit and killed another human being while drunk. Ben's actions weren't the best but the DA in Georgia put it this way, we don't prosecute morals. I don't feel Ben acted properly that night but I know that I too have done a lot of stupid shit when drinking.

Sixburgher
02-03-2011, 11:11 AM
Isn't it funny that this guys investigation is still active 8 months later, but the DA in Ben's case dropped the investigation within a month and he still got suspended?

Yes, it is, and the accusers initially named multiple Packers players as participants in the sexual assault against them. Mysteriously, the accusers then changed their stories and in so doing supposedly exonerated six of the seven players questioned by the police in the case of any wrongdoing. I smell a payoff!

Atlanta Dan
02-03-2011, 11:25 AM
Yes, it is, and the accusers initially named multiple Packers players as participants in the sexual assault against them. Mysteriously, the accusers then changed their stories and in so doing supposedly exonerated six of the seven players questioned by the police in the case of any wrongdoing. I smell a payoff!

Steelers fans might want to move out of the glass house before tossing out accusations that players of other teams made cash settlements in response to accusations of sexual improprieties

The attorney for the alleged Miledgeville victim who wrote the letter to the DA asking the case be dropped is a civil (not criminal law) atttorney specializing in litigating sexual harassment cases on behalf of plaintiffs:

The alleged victim’s attorney, Lee Parks, told a GBI agent the woman’s family didn’t want “anyone from the Milledgeville police coming to their residence for any reason.”...

DA Bright also had been sent a letter on March 17 from the accuser’s lawyers, Parks and David Walbert, asking him to drop the case. A criminal trial would be “a very intrusive personal experience ... given the extraordinary media attention that would be inevitable,” the letter said, adding it did not reflect any recanting of the allegations by their client.

Parks declined to say whether there had been any monetary settlement over potential civil claims his client could have been brought against Roethlisberger, who signed an eight-year, $102 million contract in 2008.

Said Parks, “I can’t comment on that.”

http://www.ajc.com/news/qbs-case-in-trouble-493407.html

Draw your own conclusions:noidea:

zulater
02-03-2011, 11:59 AM

Ben's a sexual predator just like Clay Mathews and your back up qb Mike Flynn.

zulater
02-03-2011, 12:02 PM
Steelers fans might want to move out of the glass house before tossing out accusations that players of other teams made cash settlements in response to accusations of sexual improprieties

The attorney for the alleged Miledgeville victim who wrote the letter to the DA asking the case be dropped is a civil (not criminal law) atttorney specializing in litigating sexual harassment cases on behalf of plaintiffs:

The alleged victim’s attorney, Lee Parks, told a GBI agent the woman’s family didn’t want “anyone from the Milledgeville police coming to their residence for any reason.”...

DA Bright also had been sent a letter on March 17 from the accuser’s lawyers, Parks and David Walbert, asking him to drop the case. A criminal trial would be “a very intrusive personal experience ... given the extraordinary media attention that would be inevitable,” the letter said, adding it did not reflect any recanting of the allegations by their client.

Parks declined to say whether there had been any monetary settlement over potential civil claims his client could have been brought against Roethlisberger, who signed an eight-year, $102 million contract in 2008.

Said Parks, “I can’t comment on that.”

http://www.ajc.com/news/qbs-case-in-trouble-493407.html

Draw your own conclusions:noidea:

He's a lawyer, what would you expect him to say? It's certainly no good for business if he says I got nothing here.

Sixburgher
02-03-2011, 12:06 PM

Likewise, fans of other teams who have convicted Roethlisberger of rape based simply on allegations need to look in their own backyards before damning Steelers fans as a whole, which was my entire point. Read the whole thread. What's good for the goose.

zulater
02-03-2011, 12:13 PM
Hey Dan, did you know that the DA could have taken that case to the Grand Jury with just the accusers video taped statement? So why didn't he if he actually thought Ben commited a crime? D.A.'s often take a case to the Grand Jury knowing they have less than a convictable case, if nothing else it's a time buy, while they rework the witnesses, sweat the accused, etc... Ben couldn't afford a trial, basically the season is over for him if they win an indictment before a Grand Jury, they probably could have at least got him to plea down to a lesser offense, but they didn't, you know why? Because that girl's story, changed, it changed early and often. There wasn't a case against Ben, if he paid her off, he shouldn't have, because they was no case, because there was no crime commited. As the DA said, we prosecute crimes, not morals. ,

caseyviator
02-03-2011, 12:27 PM
Relax.
@sshole, yes, sexual predator, no.
How would you feel if your underage daughter or sister was following Rodgers from bar to bar, drunk as a skunk, wearing a "Down to F*ck" badge?

OMG awesume post!!! i couldnt agree more..its lke he was not charged an the girl admited going here to try and have bens baby...what if ur daughter was tryn to do that is it still bens fault..i guess ur to good to not want to have the ***** just throwin themselves on top of you...unless ur gay,, ud be into all these chicks to wouldnt you???????.

priebe
02-03-2011, 12:31 PM
There's a difference when a 3rd string, seldom used corner back does something stupid, and a star quarterback does something stupid. How can you weigh them equally? It's ridiculous. No Packer fans are buying Underwood jerseys or looking up to him. Nobody considers Underwood a hero. On the other hand, Big Ben is looked up to and is a huge star. Kids look up to Roethlisberger and he obviously doesn't care. Secondly, Just because the young ladies in question were underage and drunk doesn't make what he did anymore right. Shifting blame to the victim? Are you saying Ben can't restrain himself and will take advantage to any drunk girl in sight? I see guys do this at parties all the time, and it's sad. I have a lot more respect for the men that don't stoop to those levels.

Also, I think the Steelers need to take a good hard look at the type of players on their team in the off season. A lot of poor character guys. I'd wager that the top 5 disliked players in the Superbowl are steelers. Maybe more.

Sixburgher
02-03-2011, 12:33 PM
There's a difference when a 3rd string, seldom used corner back does something stupid, and a star quarterback does something stupid. How can you weigh them equally? It's ridiculous. No Packer fans are buying Underwood jerseys or looking up to him. Nobody considers Underwood a hero. On the other hand, Big Ben is looked up to and is a huge star. Kids look up to Roethlisberger and he obviously doesn't care. Secondly, Just because the young ladies in question were underage and drunk doesn't make what he did anymore right. Shifting blame to the victim? Are you saying Ben can't restrain himself and will take advantage to any drunk girl in sight? I see guys do this at parties all the time, and it's sad. I have a lot more respect for the men that don't stoop to those levels.

There were 6 others initially accused, one of them being your star LB. And since accusations apparently immediately confirm guilt, well....

Sixburgher
02-03-2011, 12:39 PM
Also, I think the Steelers need to take a good hard look at the type of players on their team in the off season. A lot of poor character guys. I'd wager that the top 5 disliked players in the Superbowl are steelers. Maybe more.

Sure, unlike the 53 choirboys who play for the Pack, right?

"Officers were called early Saturday to a condo in Lake Delton where seven Packers players were staying during a charity golf event. The women initially told investigators they were sexually assaulted by more than one Packer while other players held them down. "

http://www.kare11.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=852325

Again, you need to check your own backyard.

priebe
02-03-2011, 12:40 PM
There were 6 others initially accused, one of them being your star LB. And since accusations apparently immediately confirm guilt, well....

I heard 6 other players were interviewed by police and immediately cleared. They didn't even investigate them. Only Brandon Underwood had contact with the two women in question.

zulater
02-03-2011, 12:41 PM

Hey priebe, Clay Mathwews was accused by those woman as well. Anyone buying his jersey around there? Because basically accusations without charges are proof enough for you.

Sixburgher
02-03-2011, 12:41 PM
I heard 6 other players were interviewed by police and immediately cleared. They didn't even investigate them. Only Brandon Underwood had contact with the two women in question.

"Officers were called early Saturday to a condo in Lake Delton where seven Packers players were staying during a charity golf event. The women initially told investigators they were sexually assaulted by more than one Packer while other players held them down. "

http://www.kare11.com/news/news_arti...storyid=852325

Sounds like more than one player was involved to me.

Atlanta Dan
02-03-2011, 12:42 PM
He's a lawyer, what would you expect him to say? It's certainly no good for business if he says I got nothing here.

Lawyers express outrage to the news media all the time about civil litigation in high profile cases whether they have a case or not - exhibit A this week is the media firefight between the attorneys involved in the lawsuit beween the Bernie Madoff trustee and the owner of the Mets

Parks did not say no comment or "I won't comment" - he said he "can't comment" - lawyers (at least good ones such as Lee Parks) use words carefully and "can't comment" would accurately describe a standard term in a confidentiality clause in an agreement between 2 parties

For what it would have cost him in additional legal fees alone (forget the cost of the story continuing to hang around) it would have made good business sense for Roethlisberger to write a low six figures check to the alleged Georgia victim, put non-admission and confidentiality clauses in the settlement agreement, and be done with it.

Lawyers less skilled than those retained by Roethlisberger and the alleged victim can structure civil settlement discussions in a manner that does not constitute any grounds for charges of witness tampering or obstruction of a criminal investigation

zulater
02-03-2011, 12:43 PM

Cover up!

whoever the woman accused are as guilty as Ben.

Think about if before replying. :flap:

priebe
02-03-2011, 12:43 PM
Sure, unlike the 53 choirboys who play for the Pack, right?

http://www.kare11.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=852325

Again, you need to check your own backyard.

Police cleared six of the seven players of wrongdoing. A seventh player whom police declined to identify and who has not been arrested remains under investigation.

Maybe you should read the story you linked. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Brandon Underwood gets cut in the offseason. Actually, I'd prefer if he was. We really don't need him. Maybe the Steelers can pick him up. I'm sure he'd fit right in.

Neil-Still-Rules-14
02-03-2011, 12:44 PM
How about this....it's the fact that Ben's situation, though not really that big of a deal, was horribly mismanaged by both the sports media and the NFL front office.

OX1947
02-03-2011, 12:44 PM
Kobe Bryant is the most hated athlete in America. Supposedly. He has the number 1 selling jersey the last 3 years. Explain that.

The media plays everyone like a DRUM. 90% of the people out there are manipulated by it and whine like little girls about it but they are the first to turn it on and listen to it all.

Michael Jordan cheats on his wife, and not a sound is made about it. Kobe cheats and he is a piece of crap. Same situation here. Big ben is an a-hole, now or before, thats just who he is. And because of that, because people in the media didnt get what they wanted from him before all this are coming after him to make him pay. Pay attention to WHY people do what they do and you will see.

Sixburgher
02-03-2011, 12:45 PM
Maybe you should read the story you linked. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Brandon Underwood gets cut in the offseason. Actually, I'd prefer if he was. We really don't need him. Maybe the Steelers can pick him up. I'm sure he'd fit right in.

The Georgia DA cleared Ben too. Maybe you should check your logic. Means nothing. Initial accusations = guilt as far as Ben is concerned to asshats like you, so like I said earlier, what's good for the goose.

Neil-Still-Rules-14
02-03-2011, 12:45 PM

The Steelers just got done trading their Super Bowl MVP Receiver because he couldn't stay out of trouble. So think before you type.

plenewken
02-03-2011, 12:47 PM
OMG awesume post!!! i couldnt agree more..its lke he was not charged an the girl admited going here to try and have bens baby...what if ur daughter was tryn to do that is it still bens fault..i guess ur to good to not want to have the ***** just throwin themselves on top of you...unless ur gay,, ud be into all these chicks to wouldnt you???????.

Let me be very clear. I don't think Ben was completely innocent but she wasn't completely innocent either so they're equally guilty and equally victim of their stupidity, in my book.
If Ben had a ounce of brain, he would have realized that, as a celebrity, he can't behave like this. Last, his entourage should have told him not to go meet this girl in the bathroom, and this includes the 2 bodyguards who were paid to protect him, not paid to let him get in trouble.

priebe
02-03-2011, 12:49 PM
They Georgia DA cleared Ben too. Maybe you should check your logic.

Yeah well, Roger Goodell didn't clear him and suspended him for violating the the NFL's conduct policy.

zulater
02-03-2011, 12:50 PM
Lawyers express outrage to the news media all the time about civil litigation in high profile cases whether they have a case or not - exhibit A this week is the media firefight between the attorneys involved in the lawsuit beween the Bernie Madoff trustee and the owner of the Mets

Parks did not say no comment or "I won't comment" - he said he "can't comment" - lawyers (at least good ones such as Lee Parks) use words carefully and "can't comment" would accurately describe a standard term in a confidentiality clause in an agreement between 2 parties

For what it would have cost him in legal fees alone (forget the cost of the story continuing to hang around) it would have made good business sense for Roethlisberger to write a low six figures check to the alleged Georgia victim, put non-admission and confidentiality clauses in the settlement agreement, and be done with it.

Lawyers less skilled than those retained by Roethlisberger and the alleged victim can structure civil settlement discussions in a manner that does not constitute any grounds for charges of witness tampering or obstruction of a criminal investigation

I'm not questioning that Dan, I know as well as you that felony charges were tantamount to no 2010 season for Ben, no matter how the case was eventually adjudicated.

But for the masses, settlement = guilt, that's why I think it's important to note that if the evidence had been compelling enough the D.A. still could have taken the case before the Grand Jury, the accusers taped witness statements were admissable with or without her permission. The case just wasn't there though, so they didn't.

Sixburgher
02-03-2011, 12:51 PM
Yeah well, Roger Goodell didn't clear him and suspended him for violating the the NFL's conduct policy.

Yeah, and we all know what an excellent and completely unbiased and fair arbiter of justice Goodell is.

Neil-Still-Rules-14
02-03-2011, 12:52 PM
Because Roger Goodell has exhibited great reasoning skills :doh:

plenewken
02-03-2011, 12:54 PM

What are you babbling about?
Violating the NFL's conduct policy is not a crime under the Law. I violated my Country Club's dress code (ie: conduct policy) when I wore jeans in the Club House and I received an official letter of reprimand. Same stuff.

Neil-Still-Rules-14

A lot of poor character guys? Who, exactly?

SteelCityMom
There's a difference when a 3rd string, seldom used corner back does something stupid, and a star quarterback does something stupid. How can you weigh them equally? It's ridiculous.

Yes, I know in the face of public opinion, different people are held to different standards. I guess you're right. There should be no outrage when no-name players in the NFL are accused of sexual assault or other heinous crimes. Only when big name players are accused.

Sad.

Secondly, Just because the young ladies in question were underage and drunk doesn't make what he did anymore right.

Correction. Lady. And no, what he did wasn't right. But her changing her answers to the police and investigators numerous times wasn't right either. Just like it wasn't right for the two ladies accusing the Packers to name 7 players as their attackers and then change their tune to one.

The first lady was the one that waited a year to file civil suit charges and they found e-mails of hers to co-workers talking about how she wanted to be Ben's girlfriend and have his baby (sent after the alleged incident took place).

Yes, Ben was absolutely stupid for doing anything with a drunk college girl in a bar...but calling him a sexual predator without any proof isn't justifiable.

If you guys can formulate opinions with no proof, then we can do the same with the 7 players (including Matthews) on your team that were accused only. Fair is fair right?

Shifting blame to the victim? Are you saying Ben can't restrain himself and will take advantage to any drunk girl in sight? I see guys do this at parties all the time, and it's sad. I have a lot more respect for the men that don't stoop to those levels.

Kudos to you for being the all time perfect human being. That surely gives you the right to judge everyone around you. Must be nice.

Such as???

zulater

That's because Goodell needed a white qb as his whipping boy.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/ben-roethlisberger-just-a-pawn-in-roger-goodells-game-020211

FanSince72
02-03-2011, 12:55 PM
What are you babbling about?
Violating the NFL's conduct policy is not a crime under the Law. I violated my Country Club's dress code (ie: conduct policy) when I wore jeans in the Club House and I received an official letter of reprimand. Same stuff.

You just got a letter?

Most CC's would have had you publicly flogged.

SteelCityMom
02-03-2011, 12:57 PM

That equals guilty of a crime how? Does Goodell work for CSI all the sudden?

Sixburgher
02-03-2011, 12:59 PM

Let's play guess the idiot's response!

"Well, there's Harrison, who cheap shots players with his helmet, then there's Hines Ward who was voted the dirtiest player in the league, and then there's Polamalu, cause his hair is like a girl's, and then there's the whole rest of the team just because!"

Atlanta Dan
02-03-2011, 01:02 PM
Hey Dan, did you know that the DA could have taken that case to the Grand Jury with just the accusers video taped statement? So why didn't he if he actually thought Ben commited a crime? D.A.'s often take a case to the Grand Jury knowing they have less than a convictable case, if nothing else it's a time buy, while they rework the witnesses, sweat the accused, etc... Ben couldn't afford a trial, basically the season is over for him if they win an indictment before a Grand Jury, they probably could have at least got him to plea down to a lesser offense, but they didn't, you know why? Because that girl's story, changed, it changed early and often. There wasn't a case against Ben, if he paid her off, he shouldn't have, because they was no case, because there was no crime commited. As the DA said, we prosecute crimes, not morals. ,

Ummm - yeah I know all that - draw your own conclusions as to how

Please cite to me any statement where I have ever said there was sufficient evidence of convicting Roethlisberger of criminal sexual asault. if there was a civil settlement it was not necesarily a payoff - civil cases do not require proof beyond a reasonable doubt, civil cases can be brought by paying the filing fee without any need to go to a grand jury, and civil cases often settle without any probability the defendant is going to lose - civil cases are much more a dollars and cents proposition with regard to the benefits and cost of settling as opposed to litigating. There were lots of benefits for Roethlisberger to cut a deal to shut down any civil case.

plenewken
02-03-2011, 01:02 PM
You just got a letter?

Most CC's would have had you publicly flogged.

Flogged? LOL
Nah, we're not in Afghanistan here, plus they needed my $ so they didn't even suspend me. I told them I was riding my bike to the CC that day and jeans are what I wear when I ride. They understood but still sent me a letter.

SteelCityMom
02-03-2011, 01:03 PM
Let's play guess the idiot's response!

"Well, there's Harrison, who cheap shots players with his helmet, then there's Hines Ward who was voted the dirtiest player in the league, and then there's Polamalu, cause his hair is like a girl's, and then there's the whole rest of the team just because!"

You forgot that Hampton eats babies and Heath hates kittens.

priebe
02-03-2011, 01:04 PM

You have Big Ben and we all know what he did. You have Jerome(Edit: I mean James) Harrison who wants to hurt people on the field and then throws a hissy fit when he's fined for helmet to helmet hits. Also, he threatens retirement and calls out the NFL every week. Hines Ward does pratically the same thing. Also, goes to strip clubs Super Bowl week. Flozell Adams who has been fined numerous times and even suspended I believe.

Sixburgher
02-03-2011, 01:07 PM
You have Big Ben and we all know what he did. You have Jerome Harrison who wants to hurt people on the field and then throws a hissy fit when he's fined for helmet to helmet hits. Also, he threatens retirement and calls out the NFL every week. Hines Ward does pratically the same thing. Also, goes to strip clubs Super Bowl week. Flozell Adams who has been fined numerous times and even suspended I believe.

LOL. Not far off at all.

Who the hell is Jerome Harrison?

mcg24
02-03-2011, 01:09 PM
I'm sorry, but why the hell do we keep having these threads. WHO CARES if people don't like Ben. WTF does it matter? Get over this Ben stuff, he is a winner and that is all that matters. I don't mean to insult the OP because you aren't the only one, but Jesus enough of all of this crap.

priebe
James Harrison. Excuse me. Jerome Harrison is a RB who used to play for the Browns.

Atlanta Dan
You have Big Ben and we all know what he did. You have Jerome Harrison who wants to hurt people on the field and then throws a hissy fit when he's fined for helmet to helmet hits. Also, he threatens retirement and calls out the NFL every week. Hines Ward does pratically the same thing. Also, goes to strip clubs Super Bowl week. Flozell Adams who has been fined numerous times and even suspended I believe.

Whoa - anger bear alert - turn that frown upside down:chuckle:

What do we "all know" #7 did?

Jerome was Bettis The Bus

And blaming the Steelers for anything Adams may have done in Dallas is like blaming the Packers for what Favre did after he left Green Bay

plenewken
02-03-2011, 01:10 PM

What??? Football players go to strip clubs??? What else? They swear? Eat meat on Friday?

quiggle
02-03-2011, 01:11 PM
I'm sorry, but why the hell do we keep having these threads. WHO CARES if people don't like Ben. WTF does it matter? Get over this Ben stuff, he is a winner and that is all that matters. I don't mean to insult the OP because you aren't the only one, but Jesus enough of all of this crap.

was this topic already posted by another member? If so I apologize for the repost but if this is the first time this poll has been discussed I think I am entitled to start this for interchange and discussion.

zulater
02-03-2011, 01:13 PM
You have Big Ben and we all know what he did. You have Jerome(Edit: I mean James) Harrison who wants to hurt people on the field and then throws a hissy fit when he's fined for helmet to helmet hits. Also, he threatens retirement and calls out the NFL every week. Hines Ward does pratically the same thing. Also, goes to strip clubs Super Bowl week. Flozell Adams who has been fined numerous times and even suspended I believe.

Shouldn't you be at midday Mass now?

SteelCityMom
02-03-2011, 01:13 PM
You have Big Ben and we all know what he did.

You were there!? You know what he did? Why the hell weren't you down in Georgia confirming this for the DA? Shame on you.

You have Jerome Harrison who wants to hurt people on the field and then throws a hissy fit when he's fined for helmet to helmet hits. Also, he threatens retirement and calls out the NFL every week. Hines Ward does pratically the same thing. Also, goes to strip clubs Super Bowl week. Flozell Adams who has been fined numerous times and even suspended I believe.

:sofunny: OMG he went to a strip club!!! A grown ass man in a legal strip club!!! I'm calling the moral police RIGHT NOW!

Adams got fined once for pushing Justin Tuck from behind. Shit happens when you're playing a division rival. Suspended? Nope, never. Look things up before you say them.

Are the Packers planning on getting rid of Nick Collins since he was fined this year ($50,000)?

Wanna hear what one of your players had to say about the new NFL rules recently? I know you don't, but I'm going to post it anyway.

Green Bay — The Green Bay Packers have one of the best defenses in the NFL.

But nearly all of their defensive players, including 2009 defensive player of the year Charles Woodson, are questioning how to play the game right now.

The rules used to be pretty clear. No spearing, no clotheslines or horse collars, no late kill shots on the quarterback just to make him ache.

But now the NFL is handing out fines, even if there's not a flag, for helmet-to-helmet collisions or anything that looks like launching or looks violent.

A tally of the most publicized fines this season shows the league has fined players approximately $500,000 for illegal hits.

That has caught the attention of everyone who plays defense for a living, especially someone like Woodson, who barely recognizes the game and the rules after 13 years in the league.

"It's changing right before your eyes," said Woodson. "When do you remember every hit being questioned? When you hear the commentators, they say, 'Oh, that was a good clean hit.' You never heard that before."

Pro Bowl safety Nick Collins is appealing the $50,000 fine for his hit on Dallas wide receiver Roy Williams on Nov. 7. Williams started to trip right before the tackle, and Collins said he had no time to drop his center of gravity so their helmets collided.

"It was a bang, bang play," said Collins. "I led with my shoulder but by me hitting him in his back, his head came back so it looked like we had helmet to helmet.

"I don't know how else I could have played that play different."

After the game, Williams said the NFL should not fine Collins, that it wasn't a dirty play, that it was just football.

But Collins got the letter from the NFL anyway.

"It seems like they're going off the outcome of the play," said Woodson. "If a guy ends up hurt or seems a little out of it, woozy or whatever, they say it is a personal foul and a fine. It's not the intent of every player to knock a guy out. They're just going to throw the flag. I don't think that's fair to the defensive guys.

"Your job is to go get the ball. And I think they're taking that way from guys."

They had plenty more to say here....http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/111331774.html

Damn these guys for speaking their minds! Can them NOW!!!

Keep spouting off though, you're making a really, really good case for yourself. :chuckle:

plenewken
02-03-2011, 01:16 PM

:applaudit::applaudit:

That's exactly what I thought. What a tool!

FanSince72
02-03-2011, 01:19 PM

ROFLMAO!!!

mcg24
02-03-2011, 03:26 PM
was this topic already posted by another member? If so I apologize for the repost but if this is the first time this poll has been discussed I think I am entitled to start this for interchange and discussion.

Like I said, it's not a specific knock on just you, but rather the topic. I don't believe someone has started a thread on this exact same topic, but there have been many many variations of it. Roethlisberger wins ball games, his issues are behind him at this point and I don't understand why people can't just let it be that way.

Buddha Bus
02-03-2011, 04:01 PM

Yeah, real "low character" guys we have there. They play the game the way they've been taught to their entire lives and all of a sudden, an autonomous dictator of a commissioner comes along and tries to change the game in mid-season and force players to go against their training and instincts during split second decisions and they are supposed to just lump it and deal. Not only that, but he doles out punishments in random and uneven fashion further muddying the waters and creating even more confusion and anger. Makes perfect sense to me. :jerkit:

I'm still not seeing where we have players that should be shipped out for being horrible people. Or do you live in some sterile, tight-assed holy cave somewhere away from normal society? That might explain it.

http://modmyi.com/forums/attachments/chit-chat/71241d1218473003-post-you-favorite-fail-pics-2109329391_b5d20f9c0f.jpg

Seriously, STFU. You're an embarrassment to Packer fans everywhere spewing this kind of uninformed, holier-than-thou nonsense.

mcg24
02-03-2011, 04:08 PM

Who the F**K are you? You come in here and randomly start trashing our team when you don't even know the difference between James Harrison and Jerome Harrison??

http://www.contractortalk.com/attachments/f3/29740d1268135841-garage-needs-attic-idiot.jpg

tube517
02-03-2011, 05:14 PM
Yeah, you're right. Ben is a crappy tipper. Man, these character issues are killing this team. :coffee:

Buddha Bus
02-03-2011, 05:17 PM
Yeah, you're right. Ben is a crappy tipper. Man, these character issues are killing this team. :coffee:

:toofunny:

Wallace17
02-03-2011, 06:00 PM

He could abuse my sister all he wants its funny how everybody just hangs on one thing for ever. Get over it.

sharkweek
02-03-2011, 06:12 PM
People are inherently coveting and jealous. They want what they don't have. Ben is an amazing player who wins games and thus people will naturally be haters. Its the same reason people hate on Kobe Bryant, or heck, for something we Steeler fans can relate to, its why we hate on Ray Lewis and rag on him for being a murderer when if push came to shove and he was wearing our uniform we'd embrace him as warmly as any other.

It takes the most humble and unassuming players not to be hated, guys like Troy Polamalu and Barry Sanders are players that anyone could proudly wear their jersey regardless of whether or not they liked the team they played for.

mcg24
02-03-2011, 06:15 PM
How would you all feel if it was your daughter or your sister he abused?

My daughter would not wear a DTF name tag or whatever that girl had on.

http://www.foxboroblog.com/images/stories/funny/idiot.jpg

Wallace17
02-03-2011, 06:19 PM
BTW did anybody see the pics of farva's dick. kiss my ass and f^ck wrangler jeans.

Neil-Still-Rules-14
02-03-2011, 07:08 PM
You have to think the ONLY reason they would ask a question like this is so they could point out opposing fans don't like Ben. Like does anybody think that if it was a Super Bowl between say...the Jaguars and Panthers...they would ask this question?

Riddle_Of_Steel
02-03-2011, 07:24 PM
You have Big Ben and we all know what he did.

No, we really DON'T know what, if anything, he did. Just like we don't really know if Clay Matthews and 5 other Packers' players were holding those poor girls down while their buddy raped the crap out of them either.

All you have is accusations, and shakey ones at that. So shakey as a matter of fact, that the district attorney couldn't even bring Ben to court, despite how badly he wanted to (he was running for public office at the time, and this case would have been his door to the "big leagues"-- he wanted that case like most men want *****).

You have Jerome(Edit: I mean James) Harrison who wants to hurt people on the field

Evidently, you have NEVER played a single down of football in your entire life (no, fantasy football does NOT count). From a very early age, defenders are taught to INTIMIDATE, THREATEN, and DESTROY the ball carrier. James Harrison is one of the best in the league at doing just that.

He aims to HURT but NOT INJURE....as a defender, you are SUPPOSED to HURT the other players, because then the WR's will be looking for YOU instead of the ball, and QBs' first reads will be to see who is about to clobber him, not his progressions. THAT IS GOOD DEFENSE. That is called MAKING THEM HEAR FEET....

and then throws a hissy fit when he's fined for helmet to helmet hits.

He was awarded the Defensive Player of the Year in 2008 for the same playing style that suddenly, in midseason, starting netting him $75k fines this year.

If you were awarded at work for performing your duties in an exemplary fashion and for doing it the way you have been taught since childhood, and then suddenly one day they make a new rule that punishes you for the same good work that once got you rewards, YOU would get a little bit confused as well.

He did not throw a "hissy fit"-- he felt that he could no longer perform his duties and considered opting out.

Also, he threatens retirement and calls out the NFL every week. Hines Ward does pratically the same thing.

Yes, men of good character and good conciensce speak up when they see something effed up going on....the NFL is being hypocritical.

They started penalizing, in midseason, plays that they have been giving awards and Probowl nominations for the last, oh, 6 decades of football previously.

While James Harrison was fined $75k for a supposedly illegal hit, NFL.COM was selling blowups of that picture in their online store for $224 apiece for the largest wall hanging....HYPOCRISY.

Also, goes to strip clubs Super Bowl week.

This one is too stupid to even address. What is wrong with going to strip clubs if you are of age?

Flozell Adams who has been fined numerous times and even suspended I believe.

Was he playing for us when this happened, because last I checked, we have enjoyed his services for the full 17 weeks of the season?

Jeez, Green Bay fans are so classless for supporting a creep like Clay Matthews. I mean, what kind of fanbase supports and cheers on a guy who holds women down while his teammates rape them? Absolutely disgusting.....