PDA

View Full Version : NYT - Relive the Forgotten Great Super Bowl (XIV)

Atlanta Dan
02-03-2011, 02:35 PM
This from the NYT (which has run several great articles this week) - this on breaks down the 22 minute NFL Films review of XIV (Rams-Steelers) like a film critic breaking down a great movie :chuckle:

The folks at Hulu.com are counting down the top 10 Super Bowls of all time, as selected by my colleague Aaron Schatz of Football Outsiders. No. 10 on the list is a forgotten classic: Super Bowl XIV. The Rams threw a scare into the mighty Steelers on Jan. 20th, 1980, but the Steelers pulled away late in the fourth quarter for a 31-19 victory.

An N.F.L. Films highlight reel of the game is just a click away. Watching the special is a great way for Steelers fans to reconnect with their Steel Curtain heritage, and for the rest of us to enjoy a little nostalgia and a lot of melodramatic music. Here are some observations to enhance your viewing experience...

John Facenda has taken over the narration. “The Steelers breed the conviction in the opposing team that they must play an almost superhuman level of football to have any chance to succeed,” he says. It’s myth-making with a wrecking ball.

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/02/03/relive-the-forgotten-great-super-bowl/?ref=sports

TAmes
02-03-2011, 04:32 PM
Thanks for the link -- that article is absolutely hysterically written:

"Ethel the Rams Fan reappears at 18:45, screaming like a banshee for the Rams’ late drive. The kid with the orange pants does not reappear, but any father who dresses his kid in orange pants probably also leaves close games in the third quarter to beat traffic.

Jack Lambert ices the game with an interception at 19:10. “By day, the Rams’ sparkling spirit had kept the game close. But by night, it faded into the black reality of the Pittsburgh Steelers’ mustering whatever it takes to win games when most of America is watching,” That sentence is a concise resume of how baffling N.F.L. Films scripts can be."

dcbng
02-03-2011, 04:37 PM
do the rams fans still hate Ferragamo like we have a hate for O'Donnell

tube517
02-03-2011, 06:07 PM
Ferragamo wasn't expected to do much and was a bench warmer for the first part of that year. O'Bummel was a starting QB for 4 years.

do the rams fans still hate Ferragamo like we have a hate for O'Donnell

4xSBChamps
02-03-2011, 10:34 PM
if memory serves, the 3rd quarter ended with the Rams having the ball, deep in their-own territory, and to show the Steelers how pumped-up they were, they sprinted to the opposite end of the field, ready to prove they were the better team:
several Steeler players were amused

Atlanta Dan
02-03-2011, 10:47 PM
if memory serves, the 3rd quarter ended with the Rams having the ball, deep in their-own territory, and to show the Steelers how pumped-up they were, they sprinted to the opposite end of the field, ready to prove they were the better team:
several Steeler players were amused

Rams did sprint to the other end with a 19-17 lead - didn't work:chuckle:

In the NFL Films version of the game, the 3rd quarter ends with a Bradshaw pass deflecting off a Steeler WR (Jim Smith?) and being intercepted, followed by a shot of the Rose Bowl at twilight and ominous sounding music

After that the 4th quarter starts and prior to the Bradshaw bomb to Stallworth to take back the lead for good we get John Facenda as the "Voice Of God" reading this line

Great teams aren't always great ... they're only great when they have to be :thumbsup:

4xSBChamps
02-03-2011, 10:50 PM
... the Bradshaw bomb to Stallworth to take back the lead for good...

'60-slot, hook-and-go', correct?

mesaSteeler
02-03-2011, 10:59 PM
'60-slot, hook-and-go', correct?

Very close

It was "60-Prevent-Slot-Hook-And-Go"

I'll never forget it because I was there. It was the play that broke the back of the LA Rams.

4xSBChamps
02-03-2011, 11:02 PM
Very close

I'll never forget it because I was there. It was the play that broke the back of the LA Rams.

Bradshaw rarely under-threw his receivers on deep-routes, and had he led Stallworth the 2nd time (same play-call, as I remember, beating Perry & Cromwell), they'd have had a 2nd long TD completion later in that game

Atlanta Dan
02-03-2011, 11:04 PM
Very close

c3PVhF25v1g

Quasar
02-04-2011, 04:23 PM
I watched that Super Bowl on DVD the other day. Back in 1980, I only got to hear it on the radio as I was a 19 year old in the military at that time. But it was a great game, and a great Steelers win.

By the way, one of the Rams was playing with "a broken bone in his ankle", according to the commentators. That gave me hope for Pouncey, but he's out.

4xSBChamps
02-04-2011, 07:00 PM
I believe Jack Youngblood played with a broken bone in his Left leg, perhaps fibula, in that game