PDA

View Full Version : Woodley not opposed to franchise tag

Atlanta Dan
02-03-2011, 03:26 PM
Actual news

Woodley not opposed to franchise tag

Following Super Bowl XLV, outside linebacker LaMarr Woodley will have completed his final game under his rookie contract with the Pittsburgh Steelers. That means the 26-year-old could become one of the NFL's hottest free agents if he hits the open market.

But chances are the Steelers won't let it get to that point. The NFL recently ruled teams could use the franchise tag this offseason despite a potential lockout in March.

That gives Pittsburgh the flexibility to tag Woodley, its biggest free agent this offseason, if a long-term deal isn't reached. On Thursday, the linebacker discussed the possibility.

"Nah, I wouldn't be against it at all," Woodley said. "Whatever happens, happens. Would you like to have a long-term contract? Yeah. But a franchise tag, it doesn't matter to me."

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/pos...-franchise-tag

Buddha Bus
02-03-2011, 03:29 PM
This is good to hear. I'd love to keep him around for the long term, but at least we can retain him short term if a deal doesn't get done right away. It's good to know that he won't be pissed if he's tagged. I think he really wants to remain a Steeler which is awesome for us!

SteelCityMom
02-03-2011, 03:33 PM
Lamarr freaking loves it here, so this doesn't surprise me too much. I know he's still going to want to get paid, but he's not so self-centered that he's going to try to make the Rooney's break the bank for him.

GMU Steeler
02-03-2011, 03:40 PM
The thing I love about Woodley is he's a team first guy. He didn't hold out like Darrelle Revis did this past year even though he could have. The guy is all about being a football player. Hope we do resign him. I would love to add a number 56 to my collection knowing that he's gonna be a Steeler for a long time.

tanda10506
02-03-2011, 03:43 PM
We need to keep him. The problem is going to be keeping him and Ike and still trying to fill the voids in the O line and the other CB position.

Curtain_of_Steel
02-03-2011, 03:43 PM
Agree GMU... Waiting on the signed Woodley jersey till that contract is signed.

He obviously isn't stupid, he knows the signing bonus based on the rules of this year would make it huge and more than the steelers can handle. They tag him one year, they now can pay him appropriately after the fact.

tony hipchest
02-03-2011, 03:44 PM
woodley is a smart man.

his name brand will never be bigger in any other city (neither will his chances of success and following in a great line of tradition).

LVSteelersfan
02-03-2011, 08:32 PM
I never understood why players get so PO-ed over the franchise tag. 9 times out of 10 they make a lot more money than they made before because they are paid the average of the top five salaries for their position in the NFL. That is not chump change for anyone. And they get a chance to have a huge year so that they can either get that long term contract either with the same team or on the free agent market. The only drawback is the possibility of getting hurt and being out of the league with no guaranteed money from a contract.

LegendSteel
02-03-2011, 08:49 PM
I never understood why players get so PO-ed over the franchise tag. 9 times out of 10 they make a lot more money than they made before because they are paid the average of the top five salaries for their position in the NFL. That is not chump change for anyone. And they get a chance to have a huge year so that they can either get that long term contract either with the same team or on the free agent market. The only drawback is the possibility of getting hurt and being out of the league with no guaranteed money from a contract.

Yep, that's pretty much it. Players would prefer to be locked up long-term, than one year. Anything can happen in an instant that could end their career, and they could lose everything.

MasterOfPuppets
02-03-2011, 09:01 PM
2011 Franchise Tag Projections
If the new CBA allows for a player to be tagged as a franchise player, these are the projections for that players’ salary by position.
Quarterback – $17.097M
Running Back – $9.867M
Wide Receiver – $11.933M
Tight End – $7.385M
Offensive Line – $10.576M
Defensive Ends – $13.105M
Defensive tackle – $12.749M
Linebackers – $10.291M
Cornerbacks – $14.574M
Safeties – $9.685M
Punters/Kickers – $3.26M
http://backseatfan.com/2011/01/2011-franchise-tag-projections/

woodley earned 3.6 million for the last 4 years , so i guess 10.2 million for 1 years work would look pretty good to him....:popcorn: