PDA

View Full Version : Joe Montana is a yinzer?

Deserei90
02-03-2011, 07:02 PM
Thursday, February 03, 2011 04:17 PM
Written by Dan Gigler

http://burgh.us/2dk

Among the luminaries around the media center today: four-time Super Bowl winning Hall-of-Fame quarterback, and most importantly, Monongahela native, Joe Montana.

Post-Gazette reporter Michael Sanserino caught up with Joe Cool and asked him about his hometown and Sunday's game.

"I grew up a Steelers fan all my life. It’s fun to see them here. I’ve got great memories of the Monongahela Valley and where I grew up in Pittsburgh. I’ve got a couple guys, one of the guys, Jonathan Hayes who I played with, we always talked about the Pittsburghese. We laugh about the words we used to say, but I absolutely love where we’re from."

Montana said he's known to lapse occassionally into his Mon Valley dialect, including the old-school pronunciation of that signature Pittsburgh.

"I say yunz on occasion. Either Mike McCarthy or Jonathan Hayes, I think it was Jonathan Hayes, went home and brought me back a shirt that said "Pittsburghese" and had all the words that we say. It is one of my treasures."

And his take on the game? Steelers in a squeaker.

"I think Pittsburgh’s going to win, 24-21. I think it’s going to be closer than they think, but I think defense is going to play a big part.

SH-Rock
02-03-2011, 07:05 PM
Never knew. Pretty cool how he's the greatest comeback quarterback and Ben seems to be coming close in beating him in that area.

LegendSteel
02-03-2011, 07:11 PM
Yeah, there are quite a few greats from around this area.

Joe Namath
Johnny Unitas
Dan Marino
Jim Kelly
George Blanda

OX1947
02-03-2011, 08:52 PM
Yeah, there are quite a few greats from around this area.

Joe Namath
Johnny Unitas
Dan Marino
Jim Kelly
George Blanda

Man, we had one of those and should have had another. Imagine:

Unitas
Bradshaw(But then we may have not sucked that bad to get him if we had Unitas)
Marino
Big Ben

SteelersBry79
02-03-2011, 10:08 PM
Joe Montana should've been picked to hand out the Lombardi trophy instead of that crybaby Staubach.

steelers33
02-03-2011, 11:52 PM
The greatest QB of all tome givin us props... I like it considering the popular pick is GB.