PDA

View Full Version : Steelers win coin toss....defer?

finesward
02-03-2011, 10:06 PM
What do you do? Put your defense on the field first and put all the pressure on Rodgers?

Obviously wind will not be a factor.

I say take the ball in the second half. Hopefully if we can go into half with momentum there will be no 2nd half letdown if we get ball back. Plus defense is fresher and hungrier in the first half. They will want to get after him.

I'm hoping the D can play 4 quarters of lights out ball like they did the 2nd half vs. ravens and 1st half vs. jets. If they can put it all together and completely shut the packers down it will be one of the best defensive showings in the super bowl. With all the praise and slobbering on the packers right now, to shut them down with physical hard hitting defense would be a big F U C K Y O U to the goodell gestapo, and permanently secure our legacy in NFL lore.

Hey all it takes is a great game from the D, and a bad day from rodgers.

Buddha Bus
02-03-2011, 10:11 PM
No way we defer. In this game, in a dome, you take the ball first and try to do what the Steelers did in their opening drive against the Jets. Come out and pound them into submission with a long, time consuming drive to take the wind out of their sails.

SteelersBry79
02-03-2011, 10:26 PM
Defer without a doubt. You put pressure on Rodgers early and do it hard. He'll be shitting his pants when he sees Harrison, Woodley, and the rest of the Steelers in front of him. We get the ball on a punt and we take over from there. Maintain the lead to halftime, hopefully score right before halftime and we get the ball back at the start of the second half, score more points and bring home Lombardi #7!!!!!!! :tt03:

GameTime55
02-03-2011, 10:31 PM
After watching an incredible first drive vs. the NYJ.

why not try to give our defense a lead right from the get go.

SIMPLY PUT

:tt02::tt02:

El Nino
02-03-2011, 10:59 PM
i like getting the ball in the 2nd half

SteelKnight
02-03-2011, 11:56 PM
I voted for the ball first. If we can get a good drive going and score first, it will set the tone.

saveus1011
02-04-2011, 12:04 AM
Put the defense out there first. Challenge Rodgers. Then hope the offense can scrounge up points.

Pittsburgh43
02-04-2011, 01:08 AM
In this game, you absolutely take the football. This game has the chance to be high-scoring and if that's the case you want the ball as much as possible, to score and to keep Rodgers & Co. off the field. Also, like it was mentioned above, if we put together an opening drive like we did against NY, that gives us all the momentum.

MACH1
02-04-2011, 01:42 AM
Didn't ya all know the packers will win it, so it doesn't matter. :rolleyes:

finesward
02-04-2011, 07:43 AM
oh shit, i forgot....

michael irving just said on NFL.com that aaron rodgers is "off the hook"

guess I'll just watch M.A.S.H reruns instead on sunday :noidea:

stlrtruck
02-04-2011, 07:50 AM
While I would have opted for doesn't matter - BRING IT!, I opted for defer. That'll certainly put our defense on the field first and defense wins Championships!

plenewken
02-04-2011, 08:16 AM
The objective is to score more pts than the opponent, right? So score more pts ASAP. It's always better to lead than to trail.

Jackal
02-04-2011, 09:19 AM
Defer. Rodgers has already stated that he hopes we get the ball first so that he has time for his nerves to settle before taking the field. I say put him on the field first and pressure him and hope that the combination of nerves and pressure rattles him early. Look for a 3-and-out or, at most, 1 first down, and then put the O on the field for a long, sustained drive like we did against the Jets.

Cowher always said, "the most important possession of the game is the first possession of the second half."

NoFieldFive
02-04-2011, 09:55 AM
without wind and elements a factor and the crowd noise will be neutral I'd take the ball. this game has the potential to be a shoot out like the last time they played and I'd want the points on the board first. plus they have had some impressive first drives such as baltimore, and the the jets game.

but Steelers seem to have a game plan and don't alter that much from the past so they'd probably defer and put the D on the field

SacknificentStew56
02-04-2011, 10:15 AM
I would take the rock first, pound it and keep their defense on the field for a long time and have Rodgers waiting on the sidelines with that butterfly feeling that the Super Bowl tends to give you. By time he gets on the field, we'll have the momentum and hopefully either him or that rookie running back will turn the rock over.

Buddha Bus
02-04-2011, 10:19 AM
That'll certainly put our defense on the field first and defense wins Championships!

Not if they fumble the return away! :flap:

grward
02-04-2011, 11:03 AM
I like having the ball first in the second half. I also want Rogers on the field facing our D and getting pounded before he has time to relax.

Steelrule
02-04-2011, 01:20 PM
Keep the ball, go on another long drive, score a TD, take the lead, and let the D do the rest. With a big enough lead at the half, who cares if we get the ball first after that? Keep Rogers on the bench, preferably shaking in his cleats. Who's their back-up QB?

StainlessStill
02-04-2011, 01:34 PM
Defer EVERY TIME. Start the game off putting the pressure on Rodgers and their offense to perform and coming out with our strength, only to turn it over to Mr. Clutch, Mr. Roethlisberger to have his way in the second half, hopefully to build on a lead and to make G.B play catchup, which is where the defense wins it! We can't let Rodgers sit there and become calm from the start of the game & on the sidelines. Throw him right to the dogs!

vasteeler
02-04-2011, 01:46 PM
Defer EVERY TIME. Start the game off putting the pressure on Rodgers and their offense to perform and coming out with our strength, only to turn it over to Mr. Clutch, Mr. Roethlisberger to have his way in the second half, hopefully to build on a lead and to make G.B play catchup, which is where the defense wins it! We can't let Rodgers sit there and become calm from the start of the game & on the sidelines. Throw him right to the dogs!

i agree:thumbsup:

Steelboy84
02-04-2011, 03:35 PM
i like getting the ball in the 2nd half

this